daffodils

Order yourself a latte, and a pastry (The virtual cinnamon buns are excellent today). And have a nice chat.

daffodils

Postby scullion » March 25th, 2013, 7:33 pm

i thought that it may be interesting for people to post when daffodils in their garden, or surrounds, start coming out.
ours have been out for 6 or more weeks now but, having just returned from a quick trip upcountry, the furthest north up the m5 that i saw any was somewhere around the western-super-mud area. this doesn't mean that i don't think there are any further north than this (and i know cities have an edge on rural temperatures and that south wales will be well out by now) but it would be interesting to map this year's spread of spring.
scullion
Registered

Re: daffodils

Postby MrsWWoof » March 25th, 2013, 7:54 pm

I only have 2 or 3 out at the moment in an area that will hopefully be a sea of shades of yellow in the next few weeks. I'm not far from Gatwick in West Sussex.
Hold on . . . until you find your smile again.
MrsWWoof
Registered

Postby suffolk » March 25th, 2013, 9:24 pm

Very few seen in Norfolk so far - the odd one or two groups in sheltered corners - presumably early varieties, and a little clump of Tete a tete in a very sheltered spot outside my office window has been brightening my days recently.
Last edited by suffolk on March 25th, 2013, 9:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.”
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby northleedsbhoy » March 25th, 2013, 9:44 pm

Leeds seems to be rather bare of them at the moment :(

Cheers
NLB :td:
northleedsbhoy
Registered

Postby FoodMary » March 25th, 2013, 10:06 pm

Mine were in bud but have been swamped by snow - don't know how they'll do now. They are all lying flat.

Mary J
I even dream about food!
FoodMary
Registered

Postby Suelle » March 25th, 2013, 10:21 pm

My two little clumps of miniature narcissi are out, but not the daffodils yet. Most are at the stage where the buds are bending over prior to opening, but they've been stuck like that for quite a while now. There are a few sheltered gardens locally with more daffs in flower.
Suelle
Global Moderator

Postby aero280 » March 25th, 2013, 11:37 pm

Here in Foggy Bottom there are a few green shoots, but no flowers yet. We are at least 3 deg lower than the forecast says. We usually get a lot of snowdrops, not seen any so far this year.
http://www.saabtechtalk.com/
aero280
Site Admin

Postby amazing » March 26th, 2013, 1:30 am

None out in Dunbar yet.
I bought two bundles in our local Co-op on Thursday (buy one get one free). When I bought them they were all closed buds. Of the ones I put in the living room about half have started to open, the ones in the dining room are still closed.

In the garden I have lots of snowdrops and crocuses in flower and my viburnum is almost finished. The flowering redcurrent is just about in bloom. Hundred of buds on it. Two fuschia trees have got lots of buds as well.
Winter is the time for comfort, for good food and warmth, for the touch of a friendly hand and for a talk beside the fire: it is the time for home.
(Edith Sitwell)
amazing
Registered

Postby Sian » March 26th, 2013, 8:49 am

Ours have been flowering for about a month now - but the ones alongside the roads haven't yet appeared, although the crocus are out.

A couple of years ago I had 2 daffs blooming on Christmas day! - just shows how the micro - climate can be so different from one garden to another 8-)
Well behaved women rarely make history.....
Sian
Registered

Postby Capt_Lightning » March 26th, 2013, 9:48 am

The miniature daffs and crocus have been poking their heads through the snow for a week now. The Outdoor hyacinth and full size daffs are in bud.
The rhubarb has grown to a good size too.

We haven't had very much snow here, but there's been a very cold wind and that's probably been keeping things back.
Shine on you Crazy Diamond.
Capt_Lightning
Registered

Postby ShotleyGirl » March 26th, 2013, 9:58 am

I have some that are only 4" high and in bud, but the ones in my tub at the front door are up and waiting to open. The more exposed ones are doing very badly at home :( About a mile and a half down the road, the daffy's are all in bloom by the side of the road, but they haven't had much snow there.... I did hear that there is a shortage in the shops due to the bad weather :( I managed to get some in Tosco's yesterday and they are waiting to open on our dining table :D My favourite flower.
Laughter is brightest where food is best - Irish Proverb
ShotleyGirl
Registered

Postby suffolk » March 26th, 2013, 10:05 am

We seem to have plenty of cut ones available in tight bud - they open indoors in a couple of days. I've been buying a bunch a week for about 5 or 6 weeks now £1 a bunch sometimes BOGOF 8-) 8-)
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby StokeySue » March 26th, 2013, 10:33 am

Mine are all in containers on the roof terrace

The first container is over - not sure exactly when it started but around 10th February, which surprised me, as they aren't miniatures (which are often earlier), and it seemed early for full sized ones, no idea what variety they are, it's a container of odd bulbs I rescued from other containers when I tidied up in the autumn

The next lot is nearly out - again small but not miniature yellow trumpet daffs

The small pheasant's eye narcissi aren't doing much

There's a wiggle of daffs planted in the verge on the road to the office - came into full flower around the end of last week

the crocuses in the grass in the park opposite my flat are almost over but the daffs naturalised among the trees are barely moving

suffolk wrote:We seem to have plenty of cut ones available in tight bud - they open indoors in a couple of days. I've been buying a bunch a week for about 5 or 6 weeks now £1 a bunch sometimes BOGOF

Me too! 20 stems £1 in Morrison's, different variety every week - this week they are quite dark orangey trumpets and slightly almond scented
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Meganthemog » March 26th, 2013, 2:43 pm

Lots of daffs in bloom here alond with snowdrops and crocus - all very Spring like and cheering :D
Meganthemog
Registered

Postby suffolk » March 26th, 2013, 3:20 pm

Have you had any of the recent snow Megan? I phoned Aunty B on the Gower the other day and she said they've not had any 8-)
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby philFrance » March 28th, 2013, 3:23 pm

Picked some wild narcissus today. Tiny flowers, very thin stems, about a quarter of the thickness of a matchstick. Very sweet scent.

We await the wild irises, which have no stems to speak of. As for the planted isises: they're flowering down in the river valley, which means that they'll flower up her about a month from now.

Phil
philFrance
Registered

Postby suffolk » March 28th, 2013, 3:30 pm

Oh Phil - any pictures??? Pretty pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeease :luv:
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby Seatallan » March 28th, 2013, 3:35 pm

Sounds lovely!

Despite the chilly weather our daffs are out in force. It'll be a while before the hyacinths flower though, and the witch hazel is very late this year.

Still, the sun has been out a fair bit today and when you're out of the chilly breeze it's really quite pleasant.
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby philFrance » March 28th, 2013, 8:50 pm

Suffs: Pat says that, to post photos, you go into 'Reply Here', rather than ''Quick Reply', and then you get a browsing bar.

I just don't see 'Reply here' anywhere.

Sorry: i'm useless.

phil
philFrance
Registered

Postby suffolk » March 28th, 2013, 8:59 pm

Not 'Reply here' - scroll down to the bottom and in red at the bottom left it says POST REPLY - that should give you the options you need to attach photos .

You're not useless :D - we all have to learn how to do it and I keep on learning - I'm rubbish at getting around to transferring photos from my camera to my laptop so I hardly ever post them on here - one of my Retirement Resolutions will be to 'organise my photos!'
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby philFrance » March 28th, 2013, 9:27 pm

Sorry, Suffs, but i'm in 'Post a Reply', and what it offers me is Bold, italic, underline, Quote, etc. Can't see anything useful there.

I have no prob in putting photos on the pc and sending them to loved ones, but this i can't figure out.

Phil
philFrance
Registered

Postby suffolk » March 28th, 2013, 9:50 pm

Sorry - I missed a bit - when in Post Reply, scroll down to just under the box where you type your message and you'll see the option to Upload an Attachment - that's the bit I should've told you about :oops:
The other's will be peeing themselves at the thought of me teaching someone to do this - hope you don't ask me any hard questions ;)
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby philFrance » March 28th, 2013, 10:04 pm

Suffs: you're a wonder! :luv:

Sorry about the crap photo, and the mess on top of our fridge.

Phil
Attachments
Wild Narcissus.JPG
philFrance
Registered

Postby suffolk » March 28th, 2013, 10:25 pm

Aw Phil - they are absolutely gorgeous :luv: thanks :D
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby northleedsbhoy » March 29th, 2013, 2:36 pm

Weird, in Fife, daffs open, many miles north from Leeds, where they still not even though the weather has been worse ;)

Cheers
NLB :tu:
northleedsbhoy
Registered

Postby FoodMary » March 30th, 2013, 8:41 am

Daffs just opening here, better late than never. Perfect time for a viewing of the house with all the daffies in bloom and my primroses and crocuses too.

Mary J
I even dream about food!
FoodMary
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » March 30th, 2013, 9:11 am

They've finally started opening here in the last few days! Crocuses still in full flourish. Lovely for Easter
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby ianinfrance » March 30th, 2013, 5:54 pm

We always have some pretty early daffs growing wild in the hills just the other side of Argentat. Not out here yet, though. These are a couple of photos I took a few years ago,

And here they are seen from a bit nearer.

Our own daffs are pretty beaten up this year, with the rain and all the work we've been doing.
--
All the best
Ian
http://www.souvigne.com
The Earth is degenerating today. Bribery and corruption abound. Children no longer obey their parents, every man wants to write a book, and it is evident that the end of the world is fast approaching.
ianinfrance
Global Moderator

Postby PatsyMFagan » March 31st, 2013, 7:15 pm

aero280 wrote:Here in Foggy Bottom there are a few green shoots, but no flowers yet. We are at least 3 deg lower than the forecast says. We usually get a lot of snowdrops, not seen any so far this year.

My snowdrops have flowered and gone over now but I have some crocuses in bloom and a small clump of tete-a-tete in flower in a pot by the front door. I'm not a million miles from you Will, so wonder why you haven't seen any snow-drops :? I have even got some tulips in bud too :bounce:
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby philFrance » March 31st, 2013, 7:36 pm

Lovely stuff, Ian!

Irises in full bloom on campus in Montpellier, but not up here, in the wilds!

Phil
philFrance
Registered

Postby StokeySue » April 1st, 2013, 4:44 pm

My second wave of daffs on the roof terrace have opened; they are the kind with long slender trumpets and only very tiny petals behind the trumpet, don't thing they are enjoying the easterly gales much

Walked in Abney Park Cemetery today - the naturalised daffs in the woodland are just coming out, they should be beautiful by next weekend - these are the stocky "King Alfred" type - what you might call maincrop daffs!
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby suffolk » April 2nd, 2013, 5:11 am

We don't have any daffodils in this 'new' garden - when I eventually plant some they will be the narcissus pseudonarcissus which grew wild in a small patch on the farm where I grew up - there was also a clump of a very double one, frilled like a tutu - and with pale and slightly darker petals, like the pseudonarcissus - I always thought they were a different variety, but now I wonder if they were a 'sport' as they grew with the others - just the one clump of doubles. I shall look to see if I can find anything like them.
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby aero280 » April 6th, 2013, 9:38 pm

We should have the first lot of daffs open tomorrow. There's a clump in bud this evening.

Still no snowdrops though. Normally loads in Feb/March.

But the false blackcurrant is budding.
http://www.saabtechtalk.com/
aero280
Site Admin

Postby scullion » April 7th, 2013, 5:43 pm

we have bluebells in the garden now.
scullion
Registered

Postby StokeySue » April 17th, 2013, 9:19 am

As predicted, Abney Park is in full daffy gorgeousness under the trees, though the wild garlic & the bluebells are running late

My last two varieties in containers are just coming out - they were supposed to be fairly short pheasant's eye narcissi but they are actually a mixture of some over-tall short trumpet narcissi in a sickly egg yolk shade, and some dwarg multi headed lemon yellow narcissi.

Both dull, and both not what I wanted, Think they are going!

Just occured to me, I never saw any Cheerfulness on sale this year, perhaps a casualty of the weather?
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Grasshopper » April 17th, 2013, 7:28 pm

Foggy Bottom

:lol:

We have a fair few daffs in flower at the mo, with more to come.

You can never have too many daffs!

:bounce:
Grasshopper
Spring ventures forth to plant the grain
And Summer dries the straw
Autumn gathers in the harvest
And Winter shuts the door

Grasshopper
Registered

Postby tezza » April 17th, 2013, 10:06 pm

I was up at the top of my garden at the weekend and found a couple of much neglected pots of tiny daff bulbs that my Mum landed either side of my front doorstep this time last year while I was at work to cheer me up. :luv: They have clearly survived winter and have burst through the soil again this spring and look lovely and are now back outside the front of my house looking lovely again, waving at the sun, trying to entice it out. I notice around the edge of the car park at work the daffs have also come to life all of a sudden. Yippee! :bounce:
tezza
Registered

Postby Meganthemog » April 18th, 2013, 9:46 am

Sorry Suffolk I didn't see your question last month. We didn't have too much snow here but when I went back to Kent a couple of weekends ago I got caught in a blizzard!
Weather here today is lovely - we've even had some sunshine in the past few days!
Meganthemog
Registered

Postby StokeySue » May 12th, 2013, 4:07 pm

Deadheaded the last few daffs this morning :(

The osteospermum are out though :tu:
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Seatallan » May 12th, 2013, 4:11 pm

Yes, ours are all finished now too. It was lovely having a protracted daff season- some years they're over and done with by the end of March.

Never mind- the lilac is coming into flower now. In the woodland garden the cranesbill is out, as is the comfrey and the ragged robin.
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby scullion » February 12th, 2018, 10:12 am

i thought there was another thread, made they can be merged?
scullion
Registered

Return to The Coffee Shop