Whiskey recommendations, please

Down below the coffee shop is the cellar. Perfect for keeping the home made tipples a bit stronger than coffee or tea :-)

Moderator: cheshire-cheese

Whiskey recommendations, please

Postby cheshire-cheese » April 1st, 2017, 1:00 pm

I don’t drink it, myself. I don’t mind the fire in the belly, it's the napalm in the throat when I drink spirits these days that stops me. However, I have a discerning guest due to call who does like a whiskey. Which ones would you go for for a bit of a treat? or even for everyday good drinking*

*Within current government guidelines, naturally.
cheshire-cheese
Registered

Re: Whiskey recommendations, please

Postby StokeySue » April 1st, 2017, 1:28 pm

Are we talking whisky (Scotch) or whiskey (everything else)I currently have two, Famous Grouse as a basic Scotch, and Aberlour for something a bit more sophisticated, though I'm beginning to think I prefer something with a deeper, richer flavour, which for my taste would be Balvenie, I went to a vertical tasting of theirs, all good so pick your price point, I particularly like the one aged in Madeira casks. Or there's my first love, Glenmorangie

I do like the smoky ones such as Laphroaig occasionally, but they have the Marmite effect.
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby patpoyntz » April 1st, 2017, 2:30 pm

As Sue says, the very smoky ones are very love or hate, they taste like TCP to me, while OH adores them. I think our local whisky, Glenmorangie is very nice, a big price range, but they are all good...and please pronounce the latter part of the name like orange, not like Angie, the girls name! I think a more unusual one and really lovely, is Highland Park, from Orkney, it is really smooth and warm...I think perfect.
patpoyntz
Registered

Postby suffolk » April 1st, 2017, 3:29 pm

Another vote here for Balvenie, and Laphroag if you like the smokey peaty flavour.
“One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.”
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby scullion » April 1st, 2017, 4:48 pm

isn't whisky one of those personal tastes? i don't like whisky generally but was given a glass of one a few years ago which was beautiful. unfortunately i can't remember it's name so that's no good to you. however my partner was given a bottle some years ago, not a cheap one, which has a review rating of something like 4.8 out of 5 and which i think is awful - my partner isn't keen on it either - said i could make fake bailey's out of it if i wanted.
wouldn't it be a good idea to ask your friend for ones that he finds acceptable and buy one of those?
scullion
Registered

Postby cheshire-cheese » April 1st, 2017, 4:54 pm

Thank you all. I was thinking whisky but my phone suggested whiskey as a spelling and I hadn't realised the significance of the spellings. Good point about the peaty flavour. I used to like that about Talisker, but I hadn't appreciated the marmite effect.
cheshire-cheese
Registered

Postby Lokelani » April 1st, 2017, 5:25 pm

As others have said you either love or hate very smokey & peaty ones. Mr L loves Laphroaig, Talisker & similar, I find them medicinal.

I had a Glenfiddich 12 year at xmas & it was nice. Monkey Shoulder was disappointing. I really like Jamesons Irish whiskey. We both like all the various types of Jack Daniels, just to confuse by adding in bourbon too!
Lokelani
Registered

Postby cheshire-cheese » April 1st, 2017, 5:51 pm

scullion wrote:isn't whisky one of those personal tastes?
...wouldn't it be a good idea to ask your friend for ones that he finds acceptable and buy one of those?

Yes it would. However, I fly in the face of your sage counsel. I will run the risk of it not being to his taste, for the chance that it might be both one he mightn't have tried and one that was most pleasing. Furthermore, if not to his taste, I could invite you lot over instead.
cheshire-cheese
Registered

Postby scullion » April 1st, 2017, 5:58 pm

as long as you've got gin, too!
scullion
Registered

Postby Badger's mate » April 2nd, 2017, 8:13 am

Very fond of malts and have various mates who are too, so we occasionally finish an evening at each others' houses tasting a few... :D

I happen to love the really smoky ones. Lagavulin is my favourite, but Laphroaig (especially Quarter cask), Bowmore and several other Islay malts are nice in the same way. There's a friend I don't see nearly often enough. Always very happy to get her over, amongst other reasons she's often carrying Ardbeg. :D

Some of the aged Speysides are good, in addition to other people's recommendations, with which I would concur, an older Glenfiddich or Glenlivet can be lovely in the same way that Glenmorangie is. (I know that Glenmorangie isn't in Speyside. Friends live a couple of miles from the distillery, and it's not their nearest one!)

However, there's a third way. If you want to expand the horizons a bit there are some less smoky malts that have a hint of the character. Talisker is on the smoky end of less smoky, but Highland Park, Jura, Oban have all got an element of it but not in a carbolic kippery way. There's a lovely Jura that they only sell in duty free for some reason. It's probably the same as another one but with a different name for marketing purposes, so maybe one of the fancier Juras might be worth considering.

One last option that's not to everyone's taste is cask strength malt. They clear your tubes, certainly. I was bought a nice Campbeltown one for my 50th, and I would also recommend the Glengoyne.
Badger's mate
Registered

Postby scullion » April 2nd, 2017, 9:57 am

Badger's mate wrote: Bowmore and several other Islay malts are nice in the same way.

that's the one - we find it rather harsh, not nice.
scullion
Registered

Postby Badger's mate » April 2nd, 2017, 1:17 pm

You wouldn't want to make a fake Bailey's with Bowmore though, surely? You might not like the whisky, but wouldn't it make a very smoky cream liqueur?
Badger's mate
Registered

Postby cheshire-cheese » July 19th, 2017, 1:46 pm

scullion wrote:as long as you've got gin, too!

:D Always. Never been without in over twenty years aside from the great gin omission from shopping list disaster back in 2003 but we don't talk about that. Dark times, very dark times.
cheshire-cheese
Registered

Postby scullion » July 19th, 2017, 3:42 pm

i'm surprised you survived!

by Badger's mate » April 2nd, 2017, 2:17 pm

You wouldn't want to make a fake Bailey's with Bowmore though, surely? You might not like the whisky, but wouldn't it make a very smoky cream liqueur?

it was/is far better than 'raw'.
scullion
Registered

Postby cheshire-cheese » July 19th, 2017, 4:36 pm

scullion wrote:i'm surprised you survived!

We tried to make it until the next weekly shop. The last few days were the worst. Took me back to my early years, learning to swim. The last few strokes where you are nearly to the side and you reach out limbs flailing just short of the rail.
cheshire-cheese
Registered

Return to The Cellar