Gin Taste Test

Down below the coffee shop is the cellar. Perfect for keeping the home made tipples a bit stronger than coffee or tea :-)

Moderator: cheshire-cheese

Gin Taste Test

Postby Kacey » June 19th, 2016, 4:51 pm

Yesterday we were meeting friends in Walsall so managed to go to Morrisons and Lidl to buy gin. After all the talk on here about various gins we decided to hold our own gin taste test. I poured them out, 1 part gin 2 parts tonic with 1 cube of ice and labelled them 1 to 8, OH then mixed them up and labelled them A-H. Neither of us knew which gin we were drinking and we marked them 1, 2 or 3. The 8 gins we tested were:

Hendricks
Silent Pool
Morrisons London Dry
Larios
Lidl Castlegy
Martin Miller
Opihr
Bloom

A good mix of expensive and cheap - and our top three were:

Hendricks
Morrisons
Bloom

with the the Castlegy coming a close 4th.

An interesting exercise and amazing to find out that one of the cheapest gins, Morrisons, was in the top 3, but also glad that Hendricks, which has long been a favourite of ours, was worthy of its no 1 spot
Kacey
Registered

Re: Gin Taste Test

Postby Seatallan » June 19th, 2016, 4:57 pm

Hic!!! :D :cocktail:

Friends of ours did a similar thing with champagnes/variants on a theme some years back and a jolly good wheeze it was too :tu:
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby smitch » June 19th, 2016, 8:24 pm

I'm just enjoying a Bloom gin right now :cocktail:

I bought it with my birthday money from my in laws. I really like it although I'm not that keen on the Tesco finest tonic I'm drinking it with. I've also just got a bottle of Bulldog gin and a premium one from Asda's own range-Portland I think it's called.

I've not tried Morrisons but glad to hear you like it. I might have to sample a bottle as we seem to like the same things!
smitch
Registered

Postby scullion » June 19th, 2016, 8:30 pm

hahaha - i think you should start a new thread called 'the smitch and kacey booze-off' !
scullion
Registered

Postby smitch » June 19th, 2016, 8:33 pm

scullion wrote:hahaha - i think you should start a new thread called 'the smitch and kacey booze-off' !

:lol: :lol:

I don't drink as much as it might seem from these threads! :shock:
smitch
Registered

Postby cheshire-cheese » June 22nd, 2016, 6:32 pm

Smitch doth protest too much, methinks.
cheshire-cheese
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » August 13th, 2016, 1:05 pm

Just finished a bottle of Bulldog gin - very nice it was too... :chops:
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby cheshire-cheese » February 26th, 2017, 5:13 pm

Brockmans gin is rather good. It has a delicious berry aroma and flavour but the quality of the bottle glass is suspect. We have had two bottle since Christmas and both seem to have suffered the most rapid evaporative loss. That said, my wife is more relaxed these days.
cheshire-cheese
Registered

Postby Bubbles » February 28th, 2017, 11:02 pm

Problem with Hendricks is that you wouldn't know if it was evaporating as the bottle is so dark in colour. I don't really drink it very often but look forward to an occasional tipple. it looks good but I do think clear glass would be more practical.
Bubbles
Registered

Postby StokeySue » February 28th, 2017, 11:17 pm

Isn't it better to keep anything like gin that is flavoured with botanicals in dark glass to protect it from light?
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Bubbles » March 1st, 2017, 3:20 pm

StokeySue wrote:Isn't it better to keep anything like gin that is flavoured with botanicals in dark glass to protect it from light?

yes probably Sue but you can see the amount in other gins eg Gordon's and Tanqueray. I was most annoyed recently to find a bottle of Hendricks ( my first ever) which I received as a Christmas present was nearly finished even though I only had a couple of glasses! I couldn't see in the bottle so was unaware it was going down. Then I saw my OH pouring himself a large one. Turns out he had mistaken it for his special edition Christmas malt :shock: The whisky had special spices in it as well, and similar bottle / cork etc and as he has no sense of smell ( and he did buy me another bottle of Hendricks) I let him off. :)
Bubbles
Registered

Postby StokeySue » March 1st, 2017, 6:00 pm

You'll have to tie a ribbon round yours Bubbles!
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Bubbles » March 1st, 2017, 11:42 pm

Oh don't worry I've hidden it! :lol:
Bubbles
Registered

Postby cheshire-cheese » March 4th, 2017, 2:14 am

Bubbles wrote:
StokeySue wrote:Isn't it better to keep anything like gin that is flavoured with botanicals in dark glass to protect it from light?

yes probably Sue but you can see the amount in other gins eg Gordon's and Tanqueray. I was most annoyed recently to find a bottle of Hendricks ( my first ever) which I received as a Christmas present was nearly finished even though I only had a couple of glasses! I couldn't see in the bottle so was unaware it was going down. Then I saw my OH pouring himself a large one. Turns out he had mistaken it for his special edition Christmas malt :shock: The whisky had special spices in it as well, and similar bottle / cork etc and as he has no sense of smell ( and he did buy me another bottle of Hendricks) I let him off. :)

A likely story, I've tried that one after being caught helping myself to the wife's gin
cheshire-cheese
Registered

Postby Bubbles » March 4th, 2017, 8:43 pm

Yeah! Not fair - I don't like whisky!
Bubbles
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » March 31st, 2017, 2:39 pm

On a recent whim I purchased a bottle of Thomas Dakin gin, I was very pleasantly surprised. On reading the minute booklet stringed around the bottle it transpires one of the 'botanicals' is horseradish !!!! Most surprised I was...... Very sad I am now that the bottle is now well and truly duffified !!!!! Oh well, back to Larios for the time being.
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby smitch » March 31st, 2017, 3:39 pm

I love that gin. My OH bought one for me the Christmas before last, then we also won a bottle at a pub quiz. I really like the spicy taste to it.
smitch
Registered

Postby StokeySue » March 31st, 2017, 4:02 pm

I had a G&T in a pub in Liverpool made with Bathtub Gin, loved it. So I got some in M&S, quite pricey, and by the time I got to end of it I was a bit tired of it, it was a bit too OTT.

Years ago there was a thing in OFM, they got a panel of experts to blind taste six of the major brands and rank them, but the twist was they did it twice, once with tonic and once in a dry Martini. The interesting thing was that everyone ranked them differently in the two tests, and the winning brands were different too. Can't rember all the details, but the best dual purpose gin was Tanqueray, and that was the only one that managed to come top of someone's ranking in both tests
Anyway, the point is I like Tanqueray, and it keeps cropping up on offer in supermarkets, got a litre for £20 in Sainsbury's on Tuesday
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » March 31st, 2017, 4:06 pm

Tanqueray is Mr. Z.'s fave. Sounds like a bargain Sue.
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby smitch » March 31st, 2017, 7:40 pm

I like bathtub gin but I don't drink it on a regular basis. I have a few too many different bottle of gin so rotate them round a bit :oops:
smitch
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » July 9th, 2017, 7:53 am

I bought a bottle of Hortus Summer gin......suits my tastebuds... :chops:
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby smitch » July 9th, 2017, 8:04 am

Zosherooney wrote:I bought a bottle of Hortus Summer gin......suits my tastebuds... :chops:

I got my sister in law a bottle of that for her birthday but I don't think she's tried it yet. I got a bottle of Drury Lane by Sainsbury's and I quite like it.

I managed to get hold of a super limited edition of Manchester gin by Zymugorium to raise money for victims of the arena bomb, but I'm reluctant to open it. I also bought a bottle of their gooseberry gin liqueur which I am looking forward to tasting :chops:
smitch
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » July 10th, 2017, 12:52 am

Not heard of Drury Lane or Zymurgorium before must keep an eye out for both of them. Also gooseberry gin sounds lush, so what's your address ?..... :lol:

There are so many mini gin distilleries around these days. Bombay sapphire is made at Laverstoke at the old factory where banknote paper used to be made, I must book a trip sometime it is on the river Test and is a beautiful part of the country.http://bombaysapphire.admit-one.eu/?lan ... 1499647686
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby smitch » July 10th, 2017, 5:50 am

Zosherooney wrote:Not heard of Drury Lane or Zymurgorium before must keep an eye out for both of them. Also gooseberry gin sounds lush, so what's your address ?..... :lol:

There are so many mini gin distilleries around these days. Bombay sapphire is made at Laverstoke at the old factory where banknote paper used to be made, I must book a trip sometime it is on the river Test and is a beautiful part of the country.http://bombaysapphire.admit-one.eu/?lan ... 1499647686

I think Drury Land is a Sainsbury's brand. Was pretty tasty though. Zymogorium is a local brand. Their gin is quite botanical tasting although they do other flavours like marmalade and violet.

I lived in Plymouth for a while and visited the gin place there. I do like Plymouth gin.
smitch
Registered

Postby StokeySue » July 10th, 2017, 9:23 am

Sainos apparently have two new premium gins, Drury 173 and 10
https://www.thesun.co.uk/money/3706495/sainsburys-posh-gins-world-gin-day-2017-cheaper-premium-brands/
I wonder if the 10 is a copy of Tanqueray's Ten, lovely gin and was stupidly expensive though now on offer at £25 at Waitrose
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » July 11th, 2017, 5:58 am

I'm looking forward to tomorrows trip to Bombay Sapphires distillery the building looks amazing and the tours start at £15 (DIY, Mr. Z's is a concession as he is now an O.A.P.) up to £40 for the full sup. prog. They apparently grow all the spices in the weird but fab looking glass house for their gins.

Smitch, marmalade and violet..... :o 8-) 8-) Wonder what Gilly Golden would make of those....?
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby smitch » July 11th, 2017, 6:05 am

StokeySue wrote:Sainos apparently have two new premium gins, Drury 173 and 10
https://www.thesun.co.uk/money/3706495/sainsburys-posh-gins-world-gin-day-2017-cheaper-premium-brands/
I wonder if the 10 is a copy of Tanqueray's Ten, lovely gin and was stupidly expensive though now on offer at £25 at Waitrose

That's the one, Drury 173 not Drury Lane. It had a hint of spice to it and was quite pleasant!

Here's the Zymugorium website:http://zymurgorium.com/
smitch
Registered

Postby WWordsworth » September 9th, 2017, 3:59 pm

I bought J some Gin Mare for his birthday.
It is recommended to avoid citrus and serve it with a sprig of rosemary.
He hasn't opened it yet :evil:
WWordsworth
Registered

Postby Kacey » September 12th, 2017, 8:09 am

Gin Mare is one of our current favourites. Two good ones we've recently tried are Curio made with rock samphire - just the tiniest barely there saltiness, and Sleeping Lemons made by Wild Beer. Both are excellent
Last edited by Kacey on September 12th, 2017, 9:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kacey
Registered

Postby suffolk » September 12th, 2017, 8:31 am

While in Cornwall we had some delicious Tarquin's Gin

https://www.masterofmalt.com/gin/southw ... rnish-gin/

served long with tonic and lime in the distinctive Tarquin's Gin 800ml etched balloon goblet to accompany a dish of local shellfish ... highly recommended :chops:
“One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.”
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby smitch » September 12th, 2017, 11:02 am

Kacey wrote:Gin Mare is one of our current favourites. Two good ones we've recently tried are Curio made with rock samphire - just the tiniest barely there saltiness, and Sleeping Lemons made by Wild Beer. Both are excellent

I love those gins, we definitely have similar tastes. The Smithfield had Sleeping Lemons in, a few more places are stocking it now which is good. I really like the beer of the same name too :lol:

My latest find is East London gin. I bought a bottle of batch number 1 at Borough market last month and tried it last night for the first time. Really tasty http://eastlondonliquorcompany.com/products.html
smitch
Registered

Postby Kacey » September 12th, 2017, 3:21 pm

Will look out for that one. Haven't had a g&t whilst in Sifnos as only gin to be found is Gordon's and as our fridge is lacking the door from the ice box, can't make ice cubes either. Making do with ice cold Retsina or a very decent craft beer we've found called Flaros, think Flying Dog Easy IPA but lower ABV.
By the way Smitch, we're in Manchester Fri night 3rd and Sat afternoon 4th November if you fancy another session?
Kacey
Registered

Postby smitch » September 12th, 2017, 3:24 pm

Yes we're around that weekend, I'm at the gin festival on the Thursday so I may be a bit delicate :lol: Definitely up for a few beers!
smitch
Registered

Postby Kacey » September 12th, 2017, 9:56 pm

Great, we'll look forward to it. Let me know nearer the time if you like, if you want to meet Fri night or Saturday.
Kacey
Registered

Postby smitch » September 13th, 2017, 8:09 am

Will do. I've added a note on my calendar of your dates, I'll text you nearer the time.
smitch
Registered

Postby StokeySue » October 3rd, 2017, 2:00 pm

I acquired a bottle of Bombay Sapphire East in an airport on Sunday
Very nice, a more emphatic flavour than ordinary Sapphire, but not as OTT as Bathtub Gin, which it slightly reminds me of

I gather it's one of those things only easily found when travelling
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Return to The Cellar