[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4758: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4759: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
Wildfood.info • View topic - Cowslip wine

Cowslip wine

Down below the coffee shop is the cellar. Perfect for keeping the home made tipples a bit stronger than coffee or tea :-)

Moderator: cheshire-cheese

Cowslip wine

Postby cheshire-cheese » July 30th, 2016, 7:14 am

After reading a book that mentions cowslip wine. I have a mind to try making some. I think I'll have to wait until next year because I think they flower in spring (around April?)
I have two concerns with collecting plants for wine making:
1: Picking the right thing. I'm not sure if anything poisonous looks like cowslip. I gather that oxslip looks similar, but I assume that they are so closely related that there is nothing to worry about.
2: Breaking the law. I think I am right, that as long as the plant is not rare, I do not up-root it and it is on common land, then I am OK?

cheshire-cheese
Registered

Re: Cowslip wine

Postby scullion » July 30th, 2016, 7:43 am

Isn't the cowslip a protected species in the wild?
if you plant it in your garden and use it from there you'd be ok.
scullion
Registered

Postby cheshire-cheese » July 30th, 2016, 1:58 pm

cheshire-cheese
Registered

Postby suffolk » July 30th, 2016, 2:23 pm

I feel very torn about this one ... for years I'd read about cowslip wine (and cowslip balls) and yet, growing up in the countryside I wondered how enough cowslips could be picked to make either of these ... we didn't often see enough to pick more than a few for a bunch for Ma ..... and then the local authority stopped spraying the roadside verges and now, in some places around here, there are so many it almost makes my heart stop!

I've always wanted to taste cowslip wine - the 'nose' must be amazing ... and yet I don't think I could bring myself to pick enough cowslips to provide 2 - 4 qts of cowslip 'pips'.

http://www.plant-lore.com/1071/cowslip/
“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” —Winnie-the-Pooh
suffolk
Registered

Postby cheshire-cheese » July 30th, 2016, 2:31 pm

cheshire-cheese
Registered

Postby suffolk » July 30th, 2016, 3:11 pm

.... and it's not the whole 'flowers' but just the coloured yellow 'pips' that you pull out from the green tube-like calyx - they're not very big at all.

cowslip -primula-veris2.jpg
cowslip -primula-veris2.jpg (19.84 KiB) Viewed 13590 times
“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” —Winnie-the-Pooh
suffolk
Registered

Postby cheshire-cheese » July 30th, 2016, 3:14 pm

I know. I think I've have to turn-over the lawns :D

cheshire-cheese
Registered

Postby suffolk » July 30th, 2016, 3:15 pm

Hope you've got plenty of acreage ;)
suffolk
Registered

Postby suffolk » July 30th, 2016, 3:17 pm

If you do make some, I wouldn't mind a sip ... it's been a dream of mine since i was a child ... :D
suffolk
Registered

Postby cheshire-cheese » July 30th, 2016, 7:03 pm

:D Sadly a modest garden, but I will endeavour to to grow / pick some in a responsible way and if it works out I'm sure we can arrange something :cocktail:

Note to self: must check the pH of my soil.

http://www.thompson-morgan.com/flowers/ ... ris/3094TM
http://www.suttons.co.uk/Gardening/Flow ... htm#140155

cheshire-cheese
Registered

Postby Seatallan » July 31st, 2016, 9:54 am

Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby WWordsworth » August 11th, 2016, 2:30 pm

As a child I could not understand why those lovely flowers were called cows lips.
WWordsworth
Registered

Return to The Cellar