[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4758: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4759: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
Wildfood.info • View topic - Cocktails

Cocktails

Down below the coffee shop is the cellar. Perfect for keeping the home made tipples a bit stronger than coffee or tea :-)

Moderator: cheshire-cheese

Cocktails

Postby Kacey » August 17th, 2016, 6:44 pm

Being very decadent tonight and having a cocktail - its been that sort of a day!

50ml Gin
15ml Elderflower Cordial - don't have cordial so used St Germain Elderflower Liqueur
25ml lemon Juice

Shake well with ice and serve garnished with a sprig or two of dill (love dill so always looking for a new way of using it)

Cocktail was called Dill or No Dill and should have had a pinch of smoked salt in there too but I don't have any so left it out. Either way its a lovely sour gin cocktail.
Used Lidl Castlegy Gin
Kacey
Registered

Re: Cocktails

Postby OneMoreCheekyOne » August 17th, 2016, 8:41 pm

Have passed this on to my mum and mil as I know they would love it!
OneMoreCheekyOne
Registered

Postby Luca » August 18th, 2016, 7:14 am

Sounds delicious. I must get some more elderflower.

I have a large watermelon that needs eating (or drinking... ;) ...). I know the vodka watermelon drink and have vodka but don't really want to go that route.

Any suggestions on a watermelon based cocktail anyone?
Luca
Global Moderator

Postby StokeySue » August 18th, 2016, 8:37 am

Made with the liqueur that's almost a variant on a White Lady, super easy cocktail :tu:

Shake equal parts of gin, lemon juice, and Cointreau or Triple Sec Curacao with ice
Strain into a small cocktail glass

I've always had Cointreau but this time I bought (from Waitrose) some French Triple Sec Curacao. Nicer IMO & slightly cheaper, Bols do a decent Curacao often to be picked up in off licences & dark corners of duty frees & European supermarkets
Waitrose

Bols (but don't get the blue one unless you are reinventing WKD :D )
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Kacey » August 18th, 2016, 6:34 pm

This watermelon martini sounds nice:

https://www.diffordsguide.com/cocktails ... on-martini

Sue, I make my own triple sec along with Limoncello - homemade is perfectly adequate for cocktails in my book
Kacey
Registered

Postby StokeySue » August 18th, 2016, 7:19 pm

Is the Triple Sec made the same way as the Limoncello?
Sounds good

I am acquiring retirement projects :D
At his rate could be a short retirement but a merry one :cocktail:
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Kacey » August 18th, 2016, 7:49 pm

Exactly the same way, I was very impressed with results. I have some Quince liqueur maturing at the moment and I also had a go at making Kummel - only problem is I've never tasted it so won't know whether mine is good or not. I saw a couple of cocktail recipes using it and having all the ingredients for making it in the cupboard, thought I'd have a go. I'm looking at something to do with surplus raisins now.
Kacey
Registered

Postby Luca » August 19th, 2016, 8:57 am

Luca
Global Moderator

Postby StokeySue » August 19th, 2016, 9:34 am

Talking more generally I have this book , The Classic 1000 Cocktails, very useful not least because it has 2 indexes, name & main ingredient (though I wish he'd distinguish between white & dark rum, 2 very different beasts IMO)

One thing I've found makes a huge difference is actually measuring the lemon/lime juice in a recipe, it's nearly always more than I expected

There was a James Bond themed cocktail recipe page in the Metro when the last film came out, and they had a variant on the Gin Fizz, which was delicious, I thought I'd kept the recipe but can't find it, anyone got any good variant? I've looked on the Metro website, but I think it was an advertisement feature, so not filed in their recipe archive. Might have used triple sec
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Kacey » August 20th, 2016, 1:09 pm

This is my favourite cocktail recipe book; https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/095 ... _i=desktop its my cocktail bible and I can thoroughly recommend it.

Don't have a gin fizz variant I'm afraid, but I do like the Difford's Gin Cocktail which has triple sec in it - 2.5 shots of gin, 1/8 shot of triple sec, 1/8 shot of sugar syrup and two dashes of Angostura bitters. Another favourite is the Gina - 2 shots of gin, 1/2 shot of creme de cassis, 1/2 shot of lemon juice, in a tall glass topped up with soda water.
Kacey
Registered

Postby StokeySue » August 20th, 2016, 1:41 pm

Didn't know that one but they have a great website too, Difford's Guide

Not sure about that cocktail - sugar + triple sec but no acidifier?

Reading Difford's I probably need a soda siphon, now there a Christmas present idea
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Kacey » August 20th, 2016, 2:36 pm

OH bought me a soda syphon one Christmas, then went on to buy me a job lot of the sparklet bulbs from somewhere online, won't need to buy bulbs ever again! If you do get one, I find using really cold water from the fridge the most successful.
Kacey
Registered

Postby Kavey » August 21st, 2016, 9:27 am

There's a giveaway on my blog at the moment for this cocktail box by mail, very cool.
Kavey
Registered

Return to The Cellar