Bathtub Gin

Down below the coffee shop is the cellar. Perfect for keeping the home made tipples a bit stronger than coffee or tea :-)

Moderator: cheshire-cheese

Bathtub Gin

Postby cheshire-cheese » October 1st, 2018, 12:30 pm

Has anyone had a go at making bathtub / compound gin?
I have been tinkering on a small scale. I started picking hops from the garden and infusing them in vodka for four days. It was a pleasant drink but I thought it might benefit from juniper infusion. So another four days with juniper has improved it a lot. Just wondering what other botanicals to lob in there. Perhaps coriander seed...
cheshire-cheese
Registered

Re: Bathtub Gin

Postby StokeySue » October 1st, 2018, 1:18 pm

I was thinking of the commercial brand, it’s good but a bit of s blunt instrument

https://www.ableforths.com/bathtub-gin/

I have but can’t access at the moment an excellent little book called Gin Made Me Do It by Jassy Davis, she goes into the possible botanicals, it’s quite cheap on Kindle

I don’t think you can call it gin unless it contains juniper, other common additions are Angelica, orris, one dried citrus peel

I notice the commercial makers macerate the botanicals in only a small amount of the alcohol and then blend it in - this must give the best control I suppose?

I have a litre of vodka that’s been sitting doing nothing for s while, I might have s go
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Re: Bathtub Gin

Postby cheshire-cheese » October 3rd, 2018, 9:35 am

StokeySue wrote:I notice the commercial makers macerate the botanicals in only a small amount of the alcohol and then blend it in - this must give the best control I suppose?

Now there's a thought. Infusing each one individually and blending to taste.
cheshire-cheese
Registered

Return to The Cellar