What are you growing this year ?

Out by the shed, near the chicken coop. The place everyone hangs out to discuss the various edibles they raise in their gardens/allotments.

Re: What are you growing this year ?

Postby Herbidacious » October 18th, 2018, 12:52 pm

jolly good. Do you never get them?
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby suffolk » October 18th, 2018, 1:17 pm

We came here in 2011 and the garden had been neglected for quite a few years before that, so no one had used any sprays and therefore we have plenty of natural predators ... lacewings, ladybirds, hoverflies and blue tits etc and we never seem to get more than they can cope with. We've never used any pesticides, not even a squirt of washing up liquid, in this garden.

Occasionally there may seem to be rather a lot of greenfly early in the season, but I just brush most of them off with my fingers or a jet of water from the hosepipe, leaving a few for the predators and balance is restored :)
“One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.”
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » October 18th, 2018, 1:20 pm

I've never used pestitcides either and been here since 2009. But we have neighbours, of course.

There don't seem to be (m)any predators of the flyng variety around at the moment.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby suffolk » October 18th, 2018, 1:24 pm

If the washing up liquid doesn't work just fire a jet of water from the hose at them .... or brush them off with a soft paint brush.
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » October 24th, 2018, 9:20 pm

A question about my chilli plant please. :grin:

It has been living in my shower room for a while now, getting a couple of sprays with soapy water daily to get rid of bugs. I think they have all gone! It's now time to move it. I won't be putting it back on the kitchen windowsill until I have repotted it. It also needs cutting back I think as the branches are now stupidly leggy and the whole plant is just too huge. Any tips for when/how this should be done? Before or after repotting? Where will it be happiest over the winter?

Ta! :tu:
Imagine peace
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby scullion » October 26th, 2018, 12:33 am

this may give you all the advice you need - read down through the q and a section about overwintering and pruning.
scullion
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » October 26th, 2018, 6:17 am

I bought a chilli plant from the Chilli Festival the summer before last. She said it would over winter if looked after it. It did and I had loads of chillis this summer, so I plan to do the same again this winter. I brought it in from the GH and sat it on a plate in my lounge. All the leaves dropped off and in April this year it went back in the GH and is now twice the size it was last year. As soon as it went into the GH new shoots appeared and it was very happy, just fed it tomato food when I watered the tomatoes.

Tezza PM me your address and I'll send you some of this years chillis for you to try.
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby scullion » October 26th, 2018, 8:35 am

the important thing, tezza, is to restrict the watering - only do it when you see the leaves start to wilt, don't overpot it, and give it good light.
scullion
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » October 26th, 2018, 9:24 am

Thanks both. The info you have provided here tells me all I need to know. :tu: And thanks Zosh, my address is on a PM. :hug:
Imagine peace
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » October 31st, 2018, 12:47 am

I just thought I'd update while I think of it...

My chilli (Harold) is now in the living room in a fairly dark corner, still with a few bugs, being sprayed daily, only being watered when it looks like it needs it. I am still to prune and re-pot. But interestingly, I notice that my old friend the spider which did live in my bedroom for a bit, hung from a web in the doorway then scurried across my face in the night, then made a little home under the kitchen windowsill where Harold used to live, has made the long journey from kitchen across hallway and across living room to be reunited with Harold. He's built a web across the front of the plant. I'll bet he's having a field day chomping on the remaining bugs.

How harmonious that we are all getting on? :grin:
Imagine peace
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby scullion » October 31st, 2018, 1:49 am

not sure i'd put it in a dark corner, it'll still be photosynthesising through the stem even if it has no leaves. if it liked your kitchen window i'd be inclined to put it back there.
scullion
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » October 31st, 2018, 5:59 am

scullion wrote:not sure i'd put it in a dark corner, it'll still be photosynthesising through the stem even if it has no leaves. if it liked your kitchen window i'd be inclined to put it back there.

The thing is too big to put it back yet, plus still has some bugs which kept carping all over my draining board and worktops. I could do with a sunnier spot that isn't in the kitchen, but I ain't. :rolleyes: I'm really wondering whether to stick it on Freecycle to see if a local can make better use of it. Weighing the whole thing up, including the costs (very minimal, but a cost is a cost) and the yield, and lack of space, it doesn't seem worth me keeping hold of it.
Imagine peace
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby karadekoolaid » November 1st, 2018, 1:25 am

Chile plants need sun. If you haven´t got any, then they need light and heat. Take it out of the darkness and place it in the light, otherwise, you will have Harold RIP.
Don´t water it very often. They like tropical conditions: humidity and sunlight. The bugs will go away if the plant is in the sunlight. If you over-spray it with bug spray, it will also kick the bucket!
" Bite off more than you can chew, then chew like Hell!"
karadekoolaid
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » November 1st, 2018, 1:58 pm

I've tried it in the only light space that I have (shower room) but it's not warm in there. I've put Harold on Freecycle.... :sad:
Imagine peace
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » November 3rd, 2018, 4:13 pm

RIP Harold. :cry: When I got up this morning, most of the leaves had fallen off. So, as I had dried lots of chillies and therefore have some seeds, he went in the bin. Poor chap.
Imagine peace
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby suffolk » November 3rd, 2018, 5:43 pm

A dead plant is an opportunity to grow another one :D
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » November 3rd, 2018, 10:12 pm

Yes! :tu: That will be a first for me, growing chilli from seed. I'll have to really scrub the pot.

As I disposed of the plant I apologised to my resident spider for removing his main food source! :lol:
Imagine peace
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » November 4th, 2018, 7:41 am

The leaves always drop off mine but they come back next Spring......
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » November 21st, 2018, 5:36 pm

Earlier this afternoon I looked up to see a squirrel ripping off an inca berry and nibling it, paper 'lantern' and all. Did someone say thet the husk is posionous? Hopefully not for squirrels (annoying as they are.) Anyway I nipped outside in my pjs and slippers and harvested a bowl full of them. There are still a lot of green ones left on the plants. I wish I had room to bring the plants inside. I suppose I could manage one, but they are very big.

Will definitely grow these again. They are nicer than (v expensive fruit) I have bought in the shops. I wonder, if I grew them from seed and started them off earlier, they would fruit earlier. I bought them as plants and kept some indoors, some out (I must be missing some plants...) and they both seemed quite slow to develop.
I noticed one plant even had a few flowers on it still.
Herbidacious
Registered

Previous

Return to The Kitchen Garden