What are you growing this year ?

Out by the shed, near the chicken coop. The place everyone hangs out to discuss the various edibles they raise in their gardens/allotments.

Re: What are you growing this year ?

Postby Herbidacious » April 15th, 2019, 7:12 am

I now have tomatoes at three different stages! Biggest one is flowering. I ought to pot it on perhaps but not sure that it's sufficiently root bound.Certainly needs feeding.

IMG_9805.JPG

tiddlers

IMG_9809.JPG

I am not sure when to take things out of the heated propogator. The courgettes now, though?

IMG_9808.JPG

I am not very experienced at growing things from seed... (Big tomato it from a garden centre, but it has grown a great deal since I bought it.)
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » April 15th, 2019, 7:13 am

p.s. yes that's mould :o
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby suffolk » April 15th, 2019, 9:23 am

Can’t see any pics

Tomatoes shouldn’t be fed until the first truss of fruit has set.

Take seedlings out of heated propagator once they’ve germinated and have their ‘seed leaves’. Keep them in good light but not too warm and prick out when they have their first set of seed leaves.
“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” —Winnie-the-Pooh
suffolk
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » April 15th, 2019, 10:17 am

I usually start feeding when there are flowers, I think, Suffs :o It's getting pale spots on the leaves which I thought might be malnutrition. (Not blight, I assume/hope. I have had markings like this before.)

If I pot it on, it will get more food anyway effectively, in the new compost.

Ok thanks re seedlings. At least two courgettes have their true leaves. I suspect more may have by the end of the day. Would you keep them in a non-heated propagator?

I am going to run out of space...Hmm maybe my bedroom windowsill could be put to use, although the cats do like to sit on it.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby suffolk » April 15th, 2019, 11:35 am

I’d pot the courgettes on and keep them on the kitchen windowsill ... it’s where mine go at that stage ... keeping them in a propagator can cause mould/fungal conditions die to too high humidity/condensation.
Later on they’ll go in my equivalent of a coldframe during the day and spend the nights on the dining room table.
“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” —Winnie-the-Pooh
suffolk
Registered

Postby scullion » April 15th, 2019, 1:30 pm

when you pot the courgettes up (and tomatoes) you can pot them deeper than they were in the old pot, they'll grow roots from further up the stem and will be less top heavy and vulnerable.
my courgettes are on the living room window sill.
scullion
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » April 15th, 2019, 1:35 pm

Thanks, Scully. I think I need to do that with the courgettes.

I picked up some high 'roofed' mini non-electric propagators today, but I'll just leave the on the windowsill.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby slimpersoninside » April 20th, 2019, 7:43 am

How did the trug construction go Herbi?
slimpersoninside
Registered

Postby StokeySue » April 20th, 2019, 9:40 am

Well, I’m back to square one

I planted lots of seeds, they all germinated, I was very careful about watering, ventilation, temperature monitoring etc

And they all moulded and died. Definitely mould, I used wooden plant labels and they are furry. I think the problem is that there are just too many mould spores up in my attic, the labels shouldn’t be the source as they are actually. tongue depressors repurposed.
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » April 20th, 2019, 6:15 pm

The trug construction happened today, and by all accounts, went very smoothly... my husband did it :D I am tempted to buy another one. He says he doesn't mind...

It will be filled on Monday, I think. I did about 5 hours in the garden today, and am exhausted (and aching.) Mainly potting on, potting out and pricking out. Oh and a bit of sowing. No digging and minimal cutting...

That's a pity, Sue. Some of mine just withered (some of the chillis.) I wonder if I left them in the propagator too long. Two of my courgettes are ramrod straight, the rest are creeping. Looking at my photo above, they were all vertical to star with. I also have too many...
Herbidacious
Registered

Previous

Return to The Kitchen Garden