Sprouters

Out by the shed, near the chicken coop. The place everyone hangs out to discuss the various edibles they raise in their gardens/allotments.

Sprouters

Postby jamesandkatherina » August 4th, 2010, 5:43 pm

any other fans of sprouting seeds?

at the moment we have Alfalfa, Beet and Onion on the go
a simple easy way of producing tasty food have used jam jars but now have posh plastic spouters :D
ImageImage

I'm not an alcoholic, .......... alcoholics go to meetings, I go to the pub.
jamesandkatherina
Registered

Re: Sprouters

Postby MrsWWoof » August 4th, 2010, 5:54 pm

I love sprouting seeds - they're so easy to do and taste so good. I think my favourite are alfalfa and some of the mustard and radish ones.

I have got a posh plastic sprouter but don't get on with it so have resorted to using old jam jars with old (but clean) tights over the top and elastic bands to hold them on.
Hold on . . . until you find your smile again.
MrsWWoof
Registered

Postby Cheezy_Jazzy » August 4th, 2010, 8:34 pm

Sprouting seeds are very popular in this house, particularly alfalfa or sandwich mix especially on top of an open crab sandwich :chops:

We have two jars which are used a lot but also have two sets of trays which got used a couple of times before OH decided he didn't like them.
ImageImageImageImage
Cheezy_Jazzy
Registered

Postby jamesandkatherina » August 4th, 2010, 8:51 pm

Cheezy_Jazzy wrote:Sprouting seeds are very popular in this house, particularly alfalfa or sandwich mix especially on top of an open crab sandwich

:chops: :chops: :chops: :chops: :chops:
ImageImage

jamesandkatherina
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » August 4th, 2010, 10:06 pm

I must being doing something wrong, is it best to grow in a greenhouse or on the kitchen windowledge, sun or not, rinse daily or not. HELP !!!!! I did real the manual honest !!!! Also use knee highs not tights, surely this shoud not make a difference....... :roll: :roll:
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby Cheezy_Jazzy » August 4th, 2010, 10:13 pm

Ours is on the kitchen windowsill as we get a lot of sun in there. The first day the seeds soak in water and then after than they are rinsed daily.
ImageImageImageImage
Cheezy_Jazzy
Registered

Postby ianinfrance » August 4th, 2010, 11:07 pm

How odd.. I was always told that seeds should be sprouted in darkness and that's where I do mine, if and when I do.

I did describe what we did yonks ago on the Beeb. Yes... here it is http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/mbfood/F2670471?thread=4004918&skip=0&show=100#p46993027 Hope that's informative.
--
All the best
Ian
http://www.souvigne.com
The Earth is degenerating today. Bribery and corruption abound. Children no longer obey their parents, every man wants to write a book, and it is evident that the end of the world is fast approaching.
ianinfrance
Global Moderator

Postby jamesandkatherina » August 5th, 2010, 2:45 pm

We grow on the window sill and rinse twice daily

Ian

growing in the dark ie airing cupboard works well but still rinse twice daily, they sprout quicker IMO

mixed seeds in jars is a good one for airing cupboards but aways rinse as before

Zosh

are you using sprouting seeds? (although most seeds seem to work well) Thompson & Morgan do a very good range
ImageImage

jamesandkatherina
Registered

Postby Cheezy_Jazzy » August 5th, 2010, 3:51 pm

Can anyone point me in the direction of somewhere that sells the sprouting jars as I wouldn't mind having another couple of them. The two I have got were bought from Julian Graves. :D
ImageImageImageImage
Cheezy_Jazzy
Registered

Postby chools » August 5th, 2010, 3:56 pm

Cheezy_Jazzy wrote:Can anyone point me in the direction of somewhere that sells the sprouting jars

I use ones likes these (now have two sets) that were bought from a local HFS

http://www.garden4less.co.uk/thompson-morgan-seed-sprouter.asp?partner=fr

KrC
Last edited by chools on August 5th, 2010, 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
chools

Postby Cheezy_Jazzy » August 5th, 2010, 4:12 pm

Thank you Chools but I've got those ones (as well as the two jars) but hubby doesn't like them for some strange reason. I might have a look at ebay later when I get home.
ImageImageImageImage
Cheezy_Jazzy
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » August 5th, 2010, 5:53 pm

Yes I bought a mixed sprout from a local health shop, I will now have another go, I need some fresh salad stuff. Thanks J & K.

Approx. how long from dry to eat, do they generally take ?
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby jamesandkatherina » August 5th, 2010, 6:00 pm

Zosh

anything from 3 to 8 days :D
ImageImage

jamesandkatherina
Registered

Postby Jaybird » August 9th, 2010, 10:34 pm

I've been sprouting for about 6 years now. And that doesn't mean that I'm very hairy or treelike!
I use mainly large coffee jars covered with net of some sort, secured with elastic bands, and rinse twice a day. I grow them away from too much heat, never bothered with growing in the dark. I grow alfalfa on a sheet of kitchen roll in a small square 3-tiered sprouter. I sprout mung, aduki, chickpeas, green lentils mainly, although sometimes peas and sunflower seeds. Sunflower seeds are delicious as a snack if you just sprout them for 1 day, lovely and crunchy. I've just bought some onion seeds and will have a go at sprouting them in the next few days. I did try sprouting flax seeds and camelina seeds but not very successfully - they go all glutinous.
Last edited by Jaybird on August 9th, 2010, 10:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jaybird
Registered

Postby Janine82 » August 10th, 2010, 7:19 am

I'm a sprouter too! I use a 3 tier plastic sprouter and I'm currenty working through mung beans, sunflower seeds and a mixture which has aduki beans, lentils and chick peas. I slightly over did it a couple of months ago and was eating masses of them for lunch every day but am just getting back into it after break.
Janine82
Registered

Postby PurpleLuv » August 10th, 2010, 8:37 am

I'm suspicious of sprouted seeds, actually frightened of them :?

I wonder if a phobia to sprouted seeds exsits?
PurpleLuv
Global Moderator

Postby ianinfrance » August 11th, 2010, 8:38 am

PurpleLuv wrote:I'm suspicious of sprouted seeds, actually frightened of them :?
What, even bean sprouts as in Chow mein?

As for phobias, they exist for everything you can think of - and more.
Last edited by ianinfrance on August 11th, 2010, 8:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
--
All the best
Ian
The Earth is degenerating today. Bribery and corruption abound. Children no longer obey their parents, every man wants to write a book, and it is evident that the end of the world is fast approaching.
ianinfrance
Global Moderator

Postby PurpleLuv » August 11th, 2010, 9:07 am

No, I quite like bean sprouts.

It's the new little ones that have become popular that frighten me :scared:
PurpleLuv
Global Moderator

Postby ianinfrance » August 11th, 2010, 9:31 am

PurpleLuv wrote:No, I quite like bean sprouts.

It's the new little ones that have become popular that frighten me :scared:
Oh yes, I know the sort of thing. Very fashionable. I've tried a couple and wasn't really that impressed, though they didn't frighten me. But as I said, people have phobias about the most astonishing things so that wouldn't surprise me. Actually as I get older, fewer and fewer things surprise me.
--
All the best
Ian
ianinfrance
Global Moderator

Postby ianinfrance » August 11th, 2010, 5:15 pm

PatsyFagan wrote:The same friend though did ask if the 'in vogue' pea-shoots are simply dried peas sprouted? I didn't know, but now realise that I would know someone who does ............ ;)
Yes. We had a discussion on this a few months ago, and iirc, someone (Sue T-S?) said they just sprouted up some wrinkled peas.
--
All the best
Ian
ianinfrance
Global Moderator

Postby Jaybird » August 11th, 2010, 10:36 pm

sprouting peas

I've sprouted peas 3 times. I used ordinary dried peas that you can buy in supermarkets. The first time I soaked them overnight and tried to sprout them the same way as mung beans, ie in a jar. I got some root shoots but then realised that they didn't look like the ones the celeb chefs use with leaves and tendrils.
Second go I soaked the seeds as before and planted them in peat free compost, in a container in the kitchen. Mine took about a couple of weeks to grow but I think it depends on conditions. Keep the soil moist but not waterlogged. You snip them off when they are about an inch or two high when they have a couple of leaves or so and small tendrils. I planted too many and some of them went beyond that stage and they tasted stronger and not so tender so not recommended.
The 3rd go I didn't bother to soak the peas first, the results were the same but they took slightly longer. I think it's worthwhile having a go, they certainly are different.
Jaybird
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » August 25th, 2010, 1:27 pm

Just found my (dried out) jam jar with net over the top in the greenhouse, just too much going on at present, lost track of things! Wot a waste, as it was nearly there. Oh well, back to the drawing board !
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby Bolas de Fraille » August 25th, 2010, 4:27 pm

Marrowfat peas and peanuts for stir/f's
Bolas de Fraille
Registered

Postby jamesandkatherina » August 29th, 2010, 5:07 pm

Yesterday at Colchester I bought a box of slightly damp fresh peas, anyway we ended up with 3lbs of fresh peas after podding for--£1 :D

now some are already sprouting so will try in compost in the morning :D

watch this space :lol:
ImageImage

jamesandkatherina
Registered

Postby jamesandkatherina » September 6th, 2010, 2:19 pm

well they were potted up and we now have a load of shoots about 3/4 of an inch high, watering every day :)
Last edited by jamesandkatherina on September 6th, 2010, 2:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImage

jamesandkatherina
Registered

Postby Luca » September 22nd, 2010, 5:23 pm

Be careful with your bean sprouts...........

Apparently there have been many cases of salmonella recently and the bacteria has been found in the bean sprouts. The current advice is to steam them and not eat them raw.

Health experts are urging people to take extra care when preparing bean sprouts after an outbreak of a rare form of salmonella.

The warning comes after 68 people in England and 15 people in Scotland tested positive for salmonella bareilly in recent weeks.

The outbreak came to light after routine testing by a salad producer found the bacteria in bean sprouts.

The Food Standards Agency said the outbreak's source was still unknown.

They have advised that anyone planning to eat bean sprouts should cook them until steaming hot before consumption.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-11390724
Luca
Global Moderator

Postby chools » September 22nd, 2010, 5:54 pm

Luca wrote:Apparently there have been many cases of salmonella recently and the bacteria has been found in the bean sprouts

Seems as though the evidence for the increased number of outbreaks is not conclusive

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/201658.php

KrC
chools

Postby Luca » September 22nd, 2010, 6:34 pm

No according to my link it isn't but it's a good idea for people to be aware of it.
Luca
Global Moderator

Postby Zosherooney » July 13th, 2012, 6:40 pm

Following Mamtas website, I have been experimenting with sprouting seeds and have presently Moth beans which should be ready for Sundays BBQ also a seed mix bought from a health food store which looks quite promising.
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » July 16th, 2012, 8:11 am

Moth Beans or as I mistakingly called them Moth Balls ! are doing really well, dunno why but I thought they would do better in the green house but no, better on the kitchen window ledge where I religiously rinse twice a day. they need a couple of days more I think. So should plan a meal around them for Wednesday-ish.

Anyone know if you can sprout mustard seeds ???? and what do they come out like ?
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby Lokelani » July 16th, 2012, 10:37 am

I grow pea shoots most summers, in the greenhouse in seed trays of compost. Just picked some today for lunch actually.

I've tried a packet of cress seed & a T&M red cabbage sprouting seed pack & they both just went mouldy on the tissue. Bit embarrassing really as kiddies are meant to be able to do this. :oops:

Our kitchen windowsill probably just isn't warm enough or doesn't get enough direct light or something.

Probably just as well they went mouldy & we didn't eat them, as I'm not sure of the rules of all this rinsing you're talking about. Does that apply to tissue grown ones as well? I've never heard of it before. I'm guessing the ones grown in soil are different, as they can't really be rinsed daily.....
Lokelani
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » July 20th, 2012, 8:11 pm

Moth beans sprouted are lovely, both briefly cooked and raw. The other prepacked ones - can't remember the mix have turned out well as well. Great in sarnies and salads.
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby Mamta » July 21st, 2012, 6:50 am

Yes, I love moth bean sprouts too. Other ones I like a fenugreek seed sprout (slighly bitter, Bengla gram (like chickpeas). Mustard seeds are also good, slightly tangy. Actually, I love most sprouts!
The room doesn't need to be warm, kitchen top will do. To get good sprouts, they should be away from the light. Here are a few ideas, if you like sprouts; http://www.mamtaskitchen.com/recipe_dis ... p?id=13138
Mamta
Registered

Return to The Kitchen Garden