What are you growing this year ?

Out by the shed, near the chicken coop. The place everyone hangs out to discuss the various edibles they raise in their gardens/allotments.

Re: What are you growing this year ?

Postby hickybank » July 2nd, 2017, 5:12 pm

Bought these Gazanias in my local mini market from the casualty shelf, they looked very sick plants but at £1.50 for a box of 12 I thought I would give them a chance, they all look very healthy plants now

Common sense is not so common
A brain is as strong as it's weakest think
hickybank
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » July 3rd, 2017, 10:05 am

Wow, Terry! They are just stunning.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » July 3rd, 2017, 1:37 pm

Beautiful !

I am cross, the slugs/snails have eaten 2 of my 4 coleus :( they are now just stalks :(
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby hickybank » July 3rd, 2017, 3:45 pm

A few years ago I was given a Jostaberry cutting (a cross between a Gooseberry & Blackcurrant), now several years later I have a fully mature bush & for the first time this year it is heavy with fruit,
Has anyone else got one?
hickybank
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » July 3rd, 2017, 4:22 pm

I have two. They went in last year. They both fruited last year and the birds had all the fruit. One fruited this year, the other didn't. The birds got most of the fruit...! I am thinking of having them out! They are rather big plants and I am not that overwhelmed by the flavour. We shall see. I may have to find new owners for them first. I can't bear the thought of just throwing them away. Obviously I shall net them next year if I do keep them. I do hate (the process of) netting things...

Actually one is jostaberry and the other is a something else that's a gooseberry blackcurrant cross.
Last edited by Herbidacious on July 3rd, 2017, 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » July 3rd, 2017, 4:26 pm

I think they called the other one a 'Caseille'. Not sure what the difference is.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby liketocook » July 4th, 2017, 6:21 pm

Beautiful flowers Hickbank :D - wish my Gazanias would hurry up and bloom
liketocook
Registered

Postby StokeySue » July 4th, 2017, 7:06 pm

Herbidacious wrote:I think they called the other one a 'Caseille'. Not sure what the difference is.
Herbidacious wrote:I think they called the other one a 'Caseille'. Not sure what the difference is.

Maybe it's a cross that's been made more than once, like Tayberry and Loganberry are bothe raspberry / blackberry crosses made by different gardeners, quite similar but you can tell the difference, I prefer Logans as I was brought up with them
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby liketocook » July 5th, 2017, 7:01 pm

I'm happy - picked the first of the round courgettes earlier (around the size of an orange). I love the round ones baked whole with garlic, butter and herbs :chops: .
liketocook
Registered

Postby StokeySue » July 5th, 2017, 8:57 pm

I have a problem
I got some seeds of winter (perennial) savoury, and following the package instructions sowed them indoors
Only three germinated and only two survived, but many weeks on they have stalled as seedlings with only two pairs of true leaves and about 1.2 cm high, they have now been out on the hot roof terracefor three weeks and hasn't budged
I planted another pot outdoors just as it got hot
Most of these germinated, but are stuck as tiny seedlings with only the first pair of true leaves.

As savoury is part of herbes de Provence, I assumed they wanted Provencal conditions, but they ain't happy

Advice?

The summer savoury is OK
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby suffolk » July 6th, 2017, 10:49 am

StokeySue wrote:I have a problem
I got some seeds of winter (perennial) savoury, and following the package instructions sowed them indoors
Only three germinated and only two survived, but many weeks on they have stalled as seedlings with only two pairs of true leaves and about 1.2 cm high, they have now been out on the hot roof terracefor three weeks and hasn't budged
I planted another pot outdoors just as it got hot
Most of these germinated, but are stuck as tiny seedlings with only the first pair of true leaves.

As savoury is part of herbes de Provence, I assumed they wanted Provencal conditions, but they ain't happy

Advice?

The summer savoury is OK

What's the soil like? They like alkaline ...
“One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.”
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby StokeySue » July 6th, 2017, 1:37 pm

All purpose compost as they are in pots
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby StokeySue » July 6th, 2017, 1:44 pm

Actually, the first batch (right) have grown on a bit, maybe I'll just pot them on, it will be a different brand of compost

IMG_20170706_1439293_rewind.jpg
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby scullion » July 6th, 2017, 4:06 pm

not sure i'd pot them on yet, they've got plenty of room. i'd wait until they're a little stronger.
scullion
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » July 8th, 2017, 7:06 pm

I am quite excited by these tomatoes. Not grown any like this before. Brandywine, a heritage type with potato-like leaves. Also husband's rather attractive 'vampire chillis'.
IMG_2625.1.jpg
IMG_2626.1.jpg
Last edited by Herbidacious on July 8th, 2017, 8:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby liketocook » July 8th, 2017, 7:50 pm

Herbidacious wrote:I am quite excited by these tomatoes. Not grown any like this before. Brandywine, a heritage type with potato-like leaves. Also husband's rather attractive 'vampire chillis'.
IMG_2625.JPG

IMG_2626.JPG

I'm growing Brandywine for the first time too :D so far so good though they are still very small. Those chillies look interesting :)
liketocook
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » July 8th, 2017, 8:29 pm

Ha the chillis were a freebie from the garden centre. I was not going to bother growing any, but like to try to encourage the gardening-allergic husband whenever he shows any interest, which he did. They are supposed to turn red when ripe.

The toms are about 2 inches across at the moment.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby liketocook » July 8th, 2017, 9:14 pm

Herbidacious wrote:Ha the chillis were a freebie from the garden centre. I was not going to bother growing any, but like to try to encourage the gardening-allergic husband whenever he shows any interest, which he did. They are supposed to turn red when ripe.

The toms are about 2 inches across at the moment.

Ah the chillies sound like some purple ones I grew a few years ago - very pretty plant (especially when there was a mix of red and purple) and really quite hot chillies (but really tasty). My brandywines are probably around half your size :D
liketocook
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » July 9th, 2017, 6:34 am

Those tomatoes remind me of the black russians I grew (at the insistence of Mr. Z) last year. My tomatoes this year are Red Pear and a type of plum one and the peppers are starting to flower.

My grape vine is about 7/8 years old and the first large leaves (on stems) are cut off near to the first lot of grapes and I use those for dolmades, if you leave them on the stems they go a bit tough. This year we have masses of grape trusses - best ever. The trouble is there is not a lot of grape to pip, if you see what I mean. The grapes are black and if you do beat the birds to them they are very tasty and sweet. I just might wash my feet thoroughly in the Autumn..... :shock: Might even have to change my toenail colour - highlighter orange does not go well with deep burgundy !!!!!! :lol: :lol:
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » July 10th, 2017, 8:53 am

I grew some Black Russians. Last year? or the year before. Very attractive but I was disappointed with the flavour. Actually they were not ridged like that, so maybe not Black Russians.

Talking of black varieties, my black raspberries are ripe. They are soooo seedy though!

edit: ah no - it was Tomato Indigo Rose
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby StokeySue » July 10th, 2017, 9:35 am

Not growing, but several green grocers round here sell mixed heritage varieties grown in Brittany. I find the "black" ones slightly insipid, though very sweet, but the striped green ones are my favourites :chops:
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby hickybank » July 10th, 2017, 1:19 pm

Just turned 1200g of Jostaberry's into jam. high in pectin so nice firm set & the jam has a lovely tart bite to it.
I will be bread making tomorrow so one of life's little treats, warm fresh bread & home made jam :drool:
hickybank
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » July 10th, 2017, 2:08 pm

Do you want another couple of bushes, Terry?!

btw I did read that the difference between a jostaberry and and a casseille is one of sweetness. not sure if this is true though. I have one of each but I have only had fruit of one. Thanks birdies!
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby hickybank » July 10th, 2017, 5:24 pm

I have one large bush, it must be 6 years old I also have a self setter from last year, I part net mine so share with the birds, we seem to have an agreement :lol:
hickybank
Registered

Postby scullion » July 10th, 2017, 8:46 pm

i'll give them a home if you're really giving them away!
scullion
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » July 11th, 2017, 10:05 am

They are big and you are in Cornwall, Scullion...!

I will consult with my gardeners. I imagine they can be pruned before removal.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby scullion » July 11th, 2017, 11:40 am

there are ways and means ... i'm not always in cornwall - and i have contacts!
scullion
Registered

Postby Badger's mate » July 11th, 2017, 12:58 pm

I hope the various folk growing Brandywine have as much joy with them as we do. They're lovely, get to around a pound in weight, fleshy and delicious. I used to grow Marmande quite happily, then switched to Brandywine, tried Yellow Brandywine (similarly nice but yellower!). I was given a packet of Marmande seeds a few years ago and tried them again for two years instead but prefer Brandywine, so am back to growing them. I am also growing cherry toms (G Delight this year, or Sungold/Sunbaby) and have got plenty of Red Alert on the plot.

I love a thick slice of Brandywine on toast, with basil or pesto and some strong cheese melted on top. :chops:
Badger's mate
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » July 11th, 2017, 1:03 pm

Ok Scullion! I'll consult with my gardener next time she comes though.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby karadekoolaid » July 12th, 2017, 3:08 am

I`ve been in the garden almost every day for the past two weeks. Not surprising, really, when there are protests /marches/ street blockades eveywhere!
I`ve planted cherry, grape, cocktail and (yellow) pear tomatoes. Tomorrow they`ll be big enough to transplant. I`ve got 4 little avocado plants which I`m going to plant in the Green Zone above the house, as well as two Guava trees and a "nispero" tree. ( Nispero translates as "loquat" - but these are not)
The long peppers are growing beautifully (at last) after I managed to kill off the bugs, worms, boring insects and slugs :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: The chile plant (which arrived unannounced, thanks to some avian support 8-) ) is producing dozens of lovely little orange chiles, and the berries ( which I pruned - vicious beasts!!) have given me 4 kgs of fruit! The gardener also dug up the Manioc /Cassava root this week - a mere 10 kgs.
Just by chance, I was browsing the internet trying to identify my berries - which I thought were wild, local blackberries. Much to my astonishment, it turns out they are "Mysore Raspberries" - originally from India!!
" Bite off more than you can chew, then chew like Hell!"
karadekoolaid
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » July 15th, 2017, 6:48 am

Very tropical Kool, I wish I could grow Avocados.... The 2 courgette plants have finally decided to set and by this time next week will have a co09[p0-(that was Scrumpy walking on the keyboard) a couple of specimens. One is already booked for my cat sitter in September. She is a lady on her own with her little dog and we met on the lane when I had a glut of them and was giving them away to all and sundry !

My raspberries are over now, the birds can have the scrapulings.

My loquats (x2) are in pots and are now out on the patio for the summer. It won't be long before they will be too big to come inside for the winter, not sure what will happen then :?
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » July 16th, 2017, 8:06 am

When I got back one of my tomatoes had gone red :)

Alas cucumbers and courgettes are very mildewy. I shall spray them today, but I fear they are all gonners.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » July 16th, 2017, 9:53 am

Just done another garden sweep, and all my tomatoes are now fruiting. It seems that I have Black Russian plant too :) Also a tomato growing as a week in my cherry tree pot, and what looks like rocket in my pea ad celery bed (as well as the marjoram in my Bay pot.)
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » July 18th, 2017, 5:29 pm

Ain't nature wonderful Herb ??????

I am willing my red pear croatian tomatoes to ripen, they have been large and pale green for over a week now. I ended up with 5 dumpy cucs. and have made a large jar of cuc relish. The recipe was for 2 lbs cuc but I only had a 1 lb, still I do have cupboard full of jams and pickles. :oops: :oops: :oops:
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby StokeySue » July 18th, 2017, 6:13 pm

I have my first nasturtium in flower, my chillies are covered in bloom, hope they set fruit
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby liketocook » July 18th, 2017, 7:26 pm

Most of my nasturtiums are nearly over :(, I collect the seeds every year and start them early for some colour in the garden before other stuff blooms. My chillies are stagnating, no sigb of any flowers yet!
liketocook
Registered

Postby StokeySue » July 18th, 2017, 7:48 pm

I only plant the nasturtium seeds on top of the bulbs to cover the containers, so have to wait for them to die back.
Think this year I may have waited longer than necessary, so the heatwave has helped them to catch up a bit.
I have T&M Princess of India this year, not sure the foliage is as good as Sutton's Empress of India, my favourite (dark foliage with a bronze cast, deep crimson flowers, semi dwarf)
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby liketocook » July 18th, 2017, 8:38 pm

StokeySue wrote:I only plant the nasturtium seeds on top of the bulbs to cover the containers, so have to wait for them to die back.
Think this year I may have waited longer than necessary, so the heatwave has helped them to catch up a bit.
I have T&M Princess of India this year, not sure the foliage is as good as Sutton's Empress of India, my favourite (dark foliage with a bronze cast, deep crimson flowers, semi dwarf)

Oh I love the dark ones - only a few of these this year came though so I might need to buy some. That said I do love the trailing ones, they seem to go on and on :D
liketocook
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » July 18th, 2017, 10:25 pm

I have the common bright orange ones that self seeded from last year, I am helping it grow up a stick or it will disappear over the edge of the pot. I do love nasturtiums.. :luv: So bright and blousy
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby Seatallan » July 19th, 2017, 9:48 am

Me too. Mine aren't flowering yet but should be soon. So easy to grow aren't they?
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » July 19th, 2017, 9:58 am

My nasturtiums haven't flowered. Not even in bud. :(
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby suffolk » July 19th, 2017, 12:35 pm

You're being too nice to them ;)
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby suffolk » July 19th, 2017, 3:02 pm

Chinch gave me three cucumber plants ... I picked these yesterday and today and there's loads more coming ... I shall have to get the Cucumber pickle recipe out

image.jpg
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » July 19th, 2017, 8:30 pm

I found this this evening. I think it's grown x4 since yesterday. It's about 7-8 inches. Probably bigger than it ought to be. (On a jar for scale :))

Took some cucumbers and rhubarb into work today.
IMG_2742.JPG
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby liketocook » July 20th, 2017, 9:44 am

Herbidacious wrote:I found this this evening. I think it's grown x4 since yesterday. It's about 7-8 inches. Probably bigger than it ought to be. (On a jar for scale :))

Took some cucumbers and rhubarb into work today.
IMG_2742.JPG

That looks gorgeous :)
liketocook
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » July 20th, 2017, 10:54 am

I'll let you know! As I said, I think you are not supposed to let them get this big. I took it on my phone which has this annoying 'live photo' default (now switched off), which makes photos move à la Harry Potter. Very disconcerting in this instance! I could make a stop motion vegetable sci-fi film with this... ;) Or wear it as a hat...
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » July 21st, 2017, 5:55 pm

Blimey girls ! what is going on, mega growth, Suff. curvey cucs make the best pickle !!!

Herb, that would make a great jacuzzi !!!! :lol: :lol:

And still my tommys are green !!!! :scared:
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » July 21st, 2017, 6:02 pm

I've had one ripe tomato, and another is ripening. But that's just two toms on 20 plants. But it's still early days! If it were three weeks down the road, I'd be depressively planning green tomato chutney and contemplating frying them. But thankfully it's not :D
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby karadekoolaid » July 21st, 2017, 8:47 pm

Between downpours yesterday, I managed to plant 5 avocado trees, 3 lemon trees and 2 guava trees. Well I say " trees"; they were actually only about 6 inches tall!!
As well as that, I thinned out the 5 varieties of tomato and replanted the strongest ones. Should have tomatoes by the end of August :shock: :lol:
" Bite off more than you can chew, then chew like Hell!"
karadekoolaid
Registered

Postby StokeySue » July 21st, 2017, 9:33 pm

The Very Hungry Caterpillar appears to have visited my nasturtiums :(
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

PreviousNext

Return to The Kitchen Garden