What are you growing this year ?

Out by the shed, near the chicken coop. The place everyone hangs out to discuss the various edibles they raise in their gardens/allotments.

Re: What are you growing this year ?

Postby Herbidacious » January 15th, 2018, 8:26 am

Something has eaten most of a second purple sprouting broccoli! Not happy. I have been growing these for over a year. I didn't think slugs and snails would be a problem at this time of the year. I suspect it's going to be a gastopodish year.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby suffolk » January 15th, 2018, 8:29 am

Pigeons?
“One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.”
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » January 15th, 2018, 9:14 am

ah. Yes. Almost certainly. They do look kind of pecked. So I should net what's left? Tricky though when I am not here in daylight hours. Blurgh. I don't think I'll bother with psb again (but I probably will...)

Thanks Suffs.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby suffolk » January 15th, 2018, 10:48 am

Yes, net them ... make sure the netting is high enough above the plants so that the pigeons can't perch on the supports and peck through the netting ... they may have birdbrains but they're not stupid. :rolleyes:

The plants will recover and you'll get lots of lovely sideshoots between now and Easter ... been there, done that ... actually won a prize at the village show when every other allotment holder had pulled up their broccoli after a plague of pigeons in an awful winter ... I had small children and hadn't got a round tuit and when the snow thawed the pigeons moved on to the farmers' pea fields instead of the allotments ... my broccoli rewarded me for my neglect :D
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » January 15th, 2018, 11:19 am

Thank you! That is very reassuring. Oh I do hate netting things though! I always seem to net myself, but I suppose that' s when I am dealing with netting on a fruit bush scale. They are all in containers. Not sure if this will make it easier or harder. I might bring the two moveable ones them into the (entirely enclosed, glass roofed, unheated) lean to.

meanwhile my yuzu and finger lime plants arrived. The former has the most fragrant leaves. need to do some research on looking after them. The yuzu is in the lean to at the moment. Finger lime still at work on the window sill.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » January 15th, 2018, 3:46 pm

I have a couple of questions:
a) is netting problematic for birds i.e. might they get caught in it?; and
b) would chicken wire be ok? I could make it into a sort of 'box' without needing support... potentially!
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby suffolk » January 15th, 2018, 4:28 pm

Garden netting can be a problem for birds and hedgehogs ....... try to keep it as taut as possible and don't allow swathes of it to gather at the bottom is the usual advice ... I've always followed that advice and never had any tragedies.

Chicken wire would be fine as long as it won't support the weight of a pigeon and there's nowhere they can perch and reach through.

They might try to perch on it and make it collapse so be prepared for that ... one particularly fat and greedy pigeon perched on several of our sunflowers the other year in an attempt to get at the seeds, and snapped them right off ........ think the first time was an accident ... not so sure about the other times as he cottoned on pretty quick that a seedhead on the ground was an easily accessible lunch :rolleyes:
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » January 15th, 2018, 4:46 pm

Thank you!

(Clever pigeon!)
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby liketocook » February 3rd, 2018, 5:30 pm

It's getting to be that time of year again :D :D , still far too early here to start any seeds as they just go leggy as there's no enough daylight, but I spent a pleasurable hour sorting through my seed box and ordering a few bits for this year. Roll on the gardening season :D
liketocook
Registered

Postby suffolk » February 3rd, 2018, 9:00 pm

Every year I try to make myself wait a bit longer ...
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby liketocook » February 3rd, 2018, 10:21 pm

suffolk wrote:Every year I try to make myself wait a bit longer ...

I know - but when it's damp & dreich & cold it's something to look forward to :D
liketocook
Registered

Postby scullion » February 4th, 2018, 2:20 am

I'll be putting on the propagator in the next few days for the chillies and aubergines. I have a few tomatoes already growing in the kitchen, that I squeezed from some particularly tasty cherry toms, which I'll pot up. I also have a giant bean, that made a bid for freedom, growing with them - its about two feet tall but probably won't come to anything as it's a bit early for that.
I saved the seeds from a tomatillo I had in Portugal which will go in the propagator, too.
The seed swap is in two weeks. I'll get some interesting things from there, hopefully.
scullion
Registered

Postby liketocook » February 4th, 2018, 8:47 am

scullion wrote:I'll be putting on the propagator in the next few days for the chillies and aubergines. I have a few tomatoes already growing in the kitchen, that I squeezed from some particularly tasty cherry toms, which I'll pot up. I also have a giant bean, that made a bid for freedom, growing with them - its about two feet tall but probably won't come to anything as it's a bit early for that.
I saved the seeds from a tomatillo I had in Portugal which will go in the propagator, too.
The seed swap is in two weeks. I'll get some interesting things from there, hopefully.

Oh I wish I could get things started but it's just too early here, I'll plant some chilli seeds at the beginning of March and toms at the beginning of April. I've tried starting earlier but the seedlings don't thrive.
liketocook
Registered

Postby Badger's mate » February 4th, 2018, 9:30 am

I ought to put this laptop down and sow some broad beans in modules. If I sow directly into the ground they are mouse food, if I put them out in the autumn they suffer excessive losses over winter. Sown too late and the blackfly get them, but sown in Feb and planted out early they crop well.

Chillies, peppers, toms, tomatillos will be sown in a couple of weeks. I got so many tomatillos last year there will be a forest of seedlings coming up on the plot. Most of last year's crop was from transplanted self-sets but I'll sow some extra, both as insurance and to sell at fundraisers. I normally try something exotic each year, not sure what to do this time
Badger's mate
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » February 4th, 2018, 9:48 am

I'm not sure if I am going to bother growing from seed this year. Oh I dunno. Maybe a few things. Too early though.

I planted some garlic last weekend (late, I know.)
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby scullion » February 4th, 2018, 11:04 am

oh yes you will!
scullion
Registered

Postby scullion » February 4th, 2018, 1:15 pm

scullion wrote:I saved the seeds from a tomatillo I had in Portugal which will go in the propagator, too.

not a tomatillo but a tamarillo - i've just looked it up.
scullion
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » February 4th, 2018, 3:26 pm

I am trying to sprout some potatoes...
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby karadekoolaid » February 4th, 2018, 11:54 pm

I´ve got some potatoes on the go, a bedful of Peruvian Yellow Chiles, two tomato plants,garlic, tomatillos and half a dozen different Mexican chiles which I´ve just sown.
" Bite off more than you can chew, then chew like Hell!"
karadekoolaid
Registered

Postby scullion » February 5th, 2018, 10:19 am

Herbidacious wrote:I am trying to sprout some potatoes...

Easy, just look in the place you store your potatoes!
scullion
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » February 5th, 2018, 2:19 pm

I know. Those ones sprout in the blink of an eye. 'Official' ones take forever.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » February 13th, 2018, 8:32 pm

Last summer I was given a Numex Twilight chilli plant. It produced quite a few multi coloured small fruits during the season and has sat looking quite healthy on my kitchen windowsill in a humid and sunny spot over the winter. I noticed this morning as I was doing my regular water and turn that it has one fruit and three new blossoms! :tu: I have also noticed that one of the leaves has been nibbled by something! The nibble was in the centre of the leaf this morning, now the hole has been nibbled bigger towards the edge of the leaf. I can't see any obvious pests on it, and can't think how a pest would get in anyway as I rarely have that window open. Any ideas folks?
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » February 13th, 2018, 8:40 pm

Nice that it's flowering. Mine are in the unheated lean to and are covered in sticky something. Aphids I suppose
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » February 14th, 2018, 8:44 am

I watered and had a chat with it this morning and there are two more leaves that have been munched. But on the plus side, after a good water yesterday, there are loads of new baby leaves. I suppose I'll just see how it goes with critters. I do need to get some tomato feed for it. It hasn't had any yet and the label suggests I should.
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby scullion » February 16th, 2018, 12:09 am

while away i picked up some cones of the umbrella pine (pinus pinae), the ones that give us pine nuts.
cracking the seed coats of a few of the nuts to see if there was anything in and finding some that looked viable i planted them in some little pots of compost, that had been left in the propagator since last year. this was about four days ago. on tuesday i put on the lights and a bit of heat (22°c).
last night i thought i'd not pushed one of the nuts far enough into one of the pots. this morning i looked closer and found that it has pushed itself out on a root.
i wonder if i'll get a packet's worth before i become compost myself!

(i need to get another bag of potting compost, crack the others and see if i can get a spinney's worth).
scullion
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » February 16th, 2018, 9:20 am

How exciting, Scully!

My finger lime is flowering, or at least had flower buds. I am hoping the warm weather, interspersed with rain will bring my mother's bulbs on. Not sure that they were the best quality though. She wanted to get me some from the RHS she said, but they had all sold out. Very sweet of her to go to the effort when she is house bound.
Herbidacious
Registered

Previous

Return to The Kitchen Garden