What are you growing this year ?

Out by the shed, near the chicken coop. The place everyone hangs out to discuss the various edibles they raise in their gardens/allotments.

Re: What are you growing this year ?

Postby suffolk » July 11th, 2018, 4:55 pm

i found that my gooseberry bush improved hugely once it reached about 4 years after planting ... that and me getting the hang of proper winter and summer pruning ... and some years are really good gooseberry years and some years not so good ... it's been a good one this year. :D

We've got three blueberry bushes (3 different varieties) in large containers in a mix of ericaceous peat based and ericaceous loam based compost and are watering solely with rainwater (as long as the butts hold out). Feeding fortnightly with ericaceous fertiliser. It's our first year with them so very much sticking to what the books and the GW forum suggest.
“One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.”
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » July 11th, 2018, 7:03 pm

I've got loads of gooseberries and blueberries this year. As well as ericaceous soil, blueberries love water.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » July 11th, 2018, 8:02 pm

Thanks for the tips!
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby scullion » July 11th, 2018, 10:04 pm

are you sure it's marjoram and not oregano? (i know they're both really oregano) marjoram may be a perennial but it's quite frost tender and is usually treated as an annual.
scullion
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » July 12th, 2018, 11:19 am

No, I am not sure! But I do like the idea of a herb self seeding in another herb pot :)

I just received a load of kale plug plants I ordered ages ago. This is almost a sigh. I am not wanting to bother with planting out even more things right now. But I will put them in this evening, at the risk of being bitten. Or maybe tomorrow. Saturday...? They will have to go in a small and not very elevated raised bed with the 'summer' sprouting broccoli. Did buy another raised bed kit, but I don't think there will be time to make it. 'Spose I could put some where the peas are nearly done (i.e. rip peas out.)
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby scullion » July 12th, 2018, 4:09 pm

i have just spread a large fishbox full of worm compost over the raised bed i've taken the onions from and planted in a pot each of used, supermarket parsley and basil and a young plant of greek basil. i think some salad leaves may be sown, and maybe some chard and carrots.
the onions had already dried themselves off after not bothering to grow that much bigger than pickling onions (that may be their destiny).

the slug/snail killing method i'm using at the moment, herbi, is the heavy foot method. we haven't a huge amount at the moment due to the dry weather so it's working well (not for the gastropods).
scullion
Registered

Previous

Return to The Kitchen Garden