Laburnum

Out by the shed, near the chicken coop. The place everyone hangs out to discuss the various edibles they raise in their gardens/allotments.

Laburnum

Postby Zosherooney » June 5th, 2016, 10:57 am

After my not being able to remember the name of this tree recently, I picked up a local magazine of things happening in villages and spotted a place called Hazelbury Manor gardens at Box who are taking part in the NGS and have a wonderful looking laburnum tunnel. So we are taking the day off next w/e and will pay it a visit.

Two years ago I got a local blacksmith to make me a metal arch to go over our drive entrance. It was a Christmas pressie for Mr. Z. We planted 2 clematis and 2 climbing roses at each end. The clematis struggled and there is no sign of them this year. One of the roses is fine but the other is not happy. They have been fed and watered over the years but I think the soil needs more help. The idea now is to get a couple of laburnums and train them over the arch, I think it would look nice with the yellow flowers hanging down. I think the earth will be helped a lot before the laburnums go in.
Zosherooney
Registered

Re: Laburnum

Postby Suelle » June 5th, 2016, 12:08 pm

Laburnam fell out of favour in gardens because the seeds are very toxic. My parents had a lovely tree when I was a child, and lots of the neighbours did too.
Suelle
Global Moderator

Postby 4dogsagain » June 5th, 2016, 12:30 pm

have a wrought iron arch in my garden, which is so pretty in its own right, that I decided not to grow any creepers over it.

DSCF4092.JPG
Don't stop doing things because you are growing old; you only grow old if you stop doing things.
4dogsagain
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » June 5th, 2016, 2:30 pm

Mine won't be this grand but this is the general idea https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=laburnum+arch

Hope the link works
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby scullion » June 5th, 2016, 2:35 pm

laburnum is a tree and would want to behave like a tree rather than a climber so it would be a waste of the arch. you could try training the trees separately.
check your soil acidity etc and then look for something suitable for the site.
it would take quite a few years to get anywhere near those in your link, i think!

how about sweet peas, trachelospermum, campsis radicans or wisteria (that only takes about five years to flower).
scullion
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » June 5th, 2016, 5:12 pm

Thanks Scull, we have a type of jasmine over our other arch wound in with clematis, and we did try wisteria but it faded and died ! I like look of the orangey campsis but it might not like not being against a wall, will run your thoughts past Mr. Z and see what he fancies.
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby suffolk » June 5th, 2016, 6:00 pm

Campsis radicans loves being against a sunny wall.
For a wonderful laburnum arch google the one at Bodnant. I'm sure Mary could tell you all about it. :D
“One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.”
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby scullion » June 5th, 2016, 7:27 pm

suffolk wrote:Campsis radicans loves being against a sunny wall.

it may prefer it but it can still be trained up/tied to a pergola (sorry the site is a german one).
scullion
Registered

Postby suffolk » June 27th, 2016, 6:35 am

Oh yes, totally agree, in the right place it's a great plant for a pergola 8-)
“One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.”
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby StokeySue » June 27th, 2016, 7:49 am

If neither wisteria nor clematis liked the situation, and wisteria is closely related to laburnum I'm not sure I fancy your chances of making a laburnum happy there unless you dig out and replace a lot of soil first

We had a beautiful laburnum when I grew up. Although the seeds are toxic they are too tough to chew, so the risk of poisoning is tiny, I believe there is no record of a poisoning in the UK
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby scullion » June 27th, 2016, 8:35 am

there was a beautiful, big trunked, old laburnum in the playground of my junior/infant school. it was cut down when a boy in my class ate some of the seeds and was rushed to hospital. i don't think they were going to take any chances. it was such a shame.
scullion
Registered

Return to The Kitchen Garden