Garden Pests !

Out by the shed, near the chicken coop. The place everyone hangs out to discuss the various edibles they raise in their gardens/allotments.

Garden Pests !

Postby Zosherooney » July 27th, 2016, 8:14 pm

I love to see the muntjac dear in the garden and have a lovely phone video of one very close to the house but I do get cross when they eat my hard grown courgettes !!!! The courgettes now have a wire net compound around them..... to protect.

Apart from slugs and snails what other pests eat your produce ???

Scrumpy (cat) steals green beans from the plants at lower levels. :twisted:
Zosherooney
Registered

Re: Garden Pests !

Postby Suelle » July 27th, 2016, 9:17 pm

I was waiting for my plums to become perfectly ripe, but the starlings attacked them. Fortunately I noticed in time and saved most of them, but they got the best!

I routinely net the gooseberries and strawberries, and will have to do the plum tree next year. We're in a suburb here, rather than a rural area, so we don't have problems with deer or rabbits. The only mammals are occasional squirrels, and hedgehogs - and I haven't noticed them eating anything we grow.
Suelle
Global Moderator

Postby StokeySue » July 27th, 2016, 9:33 pm

I don't get anything but insects as I only have pot plants, I don't even have slugs or snails having been careful. If I had any fruit the ring neck parakeets would have it. It's just the noise that's a problem, them and the current excess of gulls
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » July 28th, 2016, 6:58 am

Nothing except slugs, snails, caterpillars etc. This is an urban environment, foxes, badgers and birds such as pigeons, doves and magpies live around but have not eaten anything yet. Friends in the USA fenced off their veg patch carefully but hadn't bargained for gophers popping up from underground and helping themselves, :lol:
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby 4dogsagain » July 28th, 2016, 10:09 am

I had to build a shade house to grow my veges, as the pigeons and mouse birds ate every green thing as it popped through the ground.
Don't stop doing things because you are growing old; you only grow old if you stop doing things.
4dogsagain
Registered

Postby Seatallan » July 28th, 2016, 10:52 am

We occasionally get Muntjac deer as there is a feral colony in adjacent cemetery but mainly the usual slugs & snails. The local foxes crap copiously on the lawn from time to time which drives our Boppet barmy and we have Dave the Squirrel (ditto as the Boppet can't catch him) but that doesn't really count.

We have mice in the shed which makes the Boppet very happy. :D
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Return to The Kitchen Garden