Strange Potato Growth

Out by the shed, near the chicken coop. The place everyone hangs out to discuss the various edibles they raise in their gardens/allotments.

Strange Potato Growth

Postby Zosherooney » September 11th, 2016, 10:54 pm

Today we dug our pots up and a couple of potato stems seem to have what I can only describe as 'regrowth'....... On the stem near (but not in) the ground the potato stem seems to have started to grow again with young sprouts (green not brussel!!!) and actual small potatoes on the stems. Will try and photo this situation but thought I would run it past you lot to see if you might be able to throw some light on this strange phenomena....
Zosherooney
Registered

Re: Strange Potato Growth

Postby suffolk » September 12th, 2016, 5:50 am

We often get questions about this on Gardener's World. It happens frequently, particularly if the top growth is lush and the potato stems are consequently in the dark.
The stems above ground are no different to the stems below and potatoes will grow on both.
Of course you realise that potatoes grow from the stems and not the roots - that's why earthing them up produces more potatoes.
“One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.”
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » September 12th, 2016, 8:17 am

Thanks Suff, yep, have been growing tatos since I was a nipper. It just looks strange to see diddy pots. growing from every place where the leaves start from on the main stem. Ain't nature wonderful !!
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby suffolk » September 12th, 2016, 9:48 am

Indeed :D
“One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.”
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Return to The Kitchen Garden