[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4758: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4759: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
Wildfood.info • View topic - Flower identification help needed

Flower identification help needed

Out by the shed, near the chicken coop. The place everyone hangs out to discuss the various edibles they raise in their gardens/allotments.

Flower identification help needed

Postby Suelle » September 25th, 2016, 7:26 am

Can anyone identify this plant for me? It was seen in Southern Italy, was about 1 metre tall, and the stem looked succulent. The second picture shows the flower head more clearly.

https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1QipN ... dZLt4IM_Lw
Suelle
Global Moderator

Re: Flower identification help needed

Postby 4dogsagain » September 25th, 2016, 8:25 am

I could not access the link - message said it was not found.
Don't stop doing things because you are growing old; you only grow old if you stop doing things.
4dogsagain
Registered

Postby suffolk » September 25th, 2016, 8:37 am

nope - I can't see it either - it wants me to sign up for a Google account
“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” —Winnie-the-Pooh
suffolk
Registered

Postby Suelle » September 25th, 2016, 8:47 am

I'm not very good at posting photos - I'll see what I can do!
Suelle
Global Moderator

Postby Herbidacious » February 18th, 2020, 3:15 pm

Thought I'd tag this on the end of here rather than start a new one. Can someone tell me what this is?

IMG_0667 (1).jpg
“In the midst of winter, I found there was, within me, an invincible summer." Albert Camus
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby Oat » February 18th, 2020, 4:09 pm

Lungwort???
Oat
Registered

Postby Badger's mate » February 18th, 2020, 4:42 pm

I'll second Lungwort - Pulmonaria. we've got some cultivars in the garden and a couple of plants on the plot for early bee forage.
Badger's mate
Registered

Postby Suelle » February 18th, 2020, 5:15 pm

Suelle
Global Moderator

Postby suffolk » February 18th, 2020, 5:50 pm

Fourthed ... lots of different varieties, with or without the spots ... all blues of pinks of a mixture of the two ... sometimes they change from one colour to the other.

A good source of pollen and nectar for early foraging bumble bees. :D
“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” —Winnie-the-Pooh
suffolk
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » February 18th, 2020, 6:26 pm

Are they a weed? (I know it's all relative. I won't be pulling up.) I thought they were a wort :)
Last edited by Herbidacious on February 18th, 2020, 6:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“In the midst of winter, I found there was, within me, an invincible summer." Albert Camus
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby suffolk » February 18th, 2020, 6:37 pm

Not a weed :shock: not by any interpretation of the word as far as I’m concerned ;)
But it is a native of Europe and Central Asia ... which is why it’s so useful to our native wildlife.

It’s been used for various traditional herbal remedies

http://www.plant-lore.com/lungwort/

hence the “wort”

It got its name ‘lungwort’ due to the ancient Doctrine of Signatures which held that a plant’s appearance was a clue to its medicinal properties. With lungwort the spotted leaves were thought to look like a diseased lung :rolleyes: However not all Pulmonaria have spotted leaves.
suffolk
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » February 18th, 2020, 6:50 pm

I suspected it might be something like that. The Doctrine of Signatures.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby suffolk » February 18th, 2020, 7:13 pm

suffolk
Registered

Postby Suelle » February 18th, 2020, 7:15 pm

Suelle
Global Moderator

Postby suffolk » February 18th, 2020, 7:23 pm

One of my favourites is P. ‘Opal’ ... gorgeous https://www.woottensplants.com/plant-sh ... ulmonaria/
suffolk
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » February 18th, 2020, 7:42 pm

It's certainly a nice bit of early colour.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » March 23rd, 2020, 6:17 pm

Could someone remind me what this is? Growing (prettily) as a weed.

49690701743_5d5865e035_c.jpg
49691237146_4708ccc8de_c.jpg

and whilst we are at it, another weed. Any ideas?

IMG_1070.jpg
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby suffolk » March 23rd, 2020, 7:04 pm

The first looks like Herb Robert, the wild cranesbill (a type of geranium) ... if you crush the leaves it should have a really pungent smell ... I like it some hate it.
https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?pid=991

The second looks like one of the cruciferae ... a biennial type in it's second year running to flower and seed ... is it in a veg patch? ... could be something like a parsnip or similar that's overwintered. Or it could be Charlock or wild mistard or one of the other similar plants which might have come from wild bird seed. My bet is that it'll have lots of little four-petalled flowers, probably yellow but possibly white. We might get a better ID then.
suffolk
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » March 23rd, 2020, 7:51 pm

Ah I did wonder whethter the first was a type of geranium.

The second iss in a pot which contained sweet peas last year. I suppose, as you say, wait and see what the flower is like. The bird feeder is a few feet away.

Thanks, Suffs!
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » March 25th, 2020, 2:02 pm

You know the leaves are very similar and when I tear them smell rather like land cress (which seems to be a perennial - some I sowed two years ago came up again.)

need to google if there is anything just like land cress that's toxic. It's coming up in the patio cracks too.

I lkoked up the contents of the bird seed I buy and nothing in that resembles it.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » March 25th, 2020, 2:03 pm

Herbidacious
Registered

Postby suffolk » March 25th, 2020, 2:40 pm

Well, land cress is a crucifer and one of the mustard family, like charlock :D
suffolk
Registered

Postby scullion » March 25th, 2020, 3:50 pm

i know it's a bit late now but i was going to suggest land cress. we had a load in the veg patches when we moved here that had seeded from the vendor's previous crop.
scullion
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » March 25th, 2020, 4:06 pm

I am going to try a bit later. If I don't drop dead, will make the pesto :)
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby suffolk » March 25th, 2020, 4:21 pm

We ordered some watercress seeds the other day. You can grow it in pots ... it grows quickly ... you can use it in a lot of ways ... it’s good for us ... and if green veg/salad greens are in short supply this summer it’s an easy way of getting green veg quite quickly.
suffolk
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » March 25th, 2020, 4:40 pm

Interesting. I bought landcress because I thought I wouldn't be able to grow watercress without running water.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » March 25th, 2020, 4:43 pm

As an aside, in the 19th century the area near where I work - Farringdon Road - was famous for its huge watercress market. I wonder where it was grown.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby suffolk » March 25th, 2020, 4:59 pm

It grows happily in a pot of damp compost. I usually grow it from rooted bits of bought watercress ... but seeds will be easier for us to get this year as there wasn’t any watercress in Wrose on Monday.

https://www.thompson-morgan.com/how-to-grow-watercress
suffolk
Registered

Return to The Kitchen Garden