powdery mildew

Out by the shed, near the chicken coop. The place everyone hangs out to discuss the various edibles they raise in their gardens/allotments.

powdery mildew

Postby Herbidacious » July 6th, 2017, 6:14 pm

I think that's what is it. On my peas, courgettes and cucumbers round the back of the garden, and on sweet peas (which have not been in contact with any of the aforementioned) in the front

Is there anything I can do?

My peas down the bottom of the garden are so far unaffected, and i have just taken delivery of some more peas plants, so if there's no cure, any prevention suggestions would be most welcome. I have heard that a vinegar water solution can help.

Also looks like tromboncini which are down the bottom too are starting with it.
Herbidacious
Registered

Re: powdery mildew

Postby StokeySue » July 6th, 2017, 6:25 pm

Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby suffolk » July 6th, 2017, 6:55 pm

The powdery mildew on the courgettes will be a different sort to the powdery mildew on the peas, so they're not infecting each other.

Plants can usually cope with PM unless they're stressed by something else ... at this time of year it's usually dryness at the roots, :D so usual advise is to water, water, water
“One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.”
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » July 6th, 2017, 7:11 pm

Thanks, both.

I am not sure if that's comforting or not, Suffs - re two types!

I am wondering if my standing them in trays of water has had an impact. (When I've been away.)

I was hoping for a night off watering tonight, but the promised deluge didn't come. I have been very virtuous on the watering front so far this year. But clearly I need to keep at it!
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby liketocook » July 6th, 2017, 8:01 pm

Living in a very "moist" part of the world powdery mildew just seems to be one of these things that happens. I take off very badly affected leaves but apart from that just continue as I would re watering/feeding :D
liketocook
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » July 7th, 2017, 9:43 am

I am disappointed I won't be able to compost my affected spent pea plants, which we infected just before they finished, but onward with the still living ones...

I can't really take the leaves off alas as there would be none left :shock:
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby liketocook » July 7th, 2017, 8:07 pm

Herbidacious wrote:I am disappointed I won't be able to compost my affected spent pea plants, which we infected just before they finished, but onward with the still living ones...

I can't really take the leaves off alas as there would be none left :shock:

I only take them off when they get to the really dry & "crispy" stage... ;)

I picked my first cucumber from the plants I swapped for "not-cucumbers-but-cougettes" with my friends tonight. Suspect by this time tomorrow it will have been scoffed :D
liketocook
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » July 8th, 2017, 1:36 pm

Excellent! I need to pick my biggest cuc before it's too late!
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » July 9th, 2017, 6:39 am

I picked my 5th cuc yesterday. Have given one to my holiday waterers she made tsaksiki with it and liked the texture of the cuc. These are the short spiney ones. I did cuc in a dill vinaigrette yesterday as part of our lunch, nice it was! I now have 2.5 cucs in the fridge and by the looks of it, another two on the way in the GH.
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » July 9th, 2017, 8:36 pm

I picked my big fat one and there are a couple of 'snacking' ones ready to be picked. I am going to be inundated... I do like them but I have grown far too many plants.

I also sprayed everything with some stuff I got from the garden centre. Supposed to be ok with veg, but obviously avoided spraying the actual fruit.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby liketocook » July 10th, 2017, 9:47 am

Herbidacious wrote:I picked my big fat one and there are a couple of 'snacking' ones ready to be picked. I am going to be inundated... I do like them but I have grown far too many plants.

I also sprayed everything with some stuff I got from the garden centre. Supposed to be ok with veg, but obviously avoided spraying the actual fruit.

A couple of years ago when I wss the same and had over done the number of plants, I pickled them. I just salted them for a few hours, rinsed them, packed in sterile jars and coverd in spiced vinegar, they were tasty
liketocook
Registered

Return to The Kitchen Garden