Growing asparagus

Out by the shed, near the chicken coop. The place everyone hangs out to discuss the various edibles they raise in their gardens/allotments.

Growing asparagus

Postby Herbidacious » September 11th, 2017, 10:14 am

Has anyone grown asparagus? If so do/did you think it's worth it?

I'd have to build a dedicated raised bed, but that's not really a problem.
Herbidacious
Registered

Re: Growing asparagus

Postby scullion » September 11th, 2017, 10:37 am

i tried it some years back - either our soil didn't suit or the slugs had a more up-market meal than usual.
scullion
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » September 11th, 2017, 10:57 am

I always fancied it because I :luv: asparagus but research has always hinted that it is a tough, time consuming and expensive veg to grow so I have never tried. Good luck if you do have a go!
Christmas is upon us - yippee!
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby StokeySue » September 11th, 2017, 11:22 am

My Dad's friend from just up the road gave us a lovely bundle of asparagus for my 21st birthday, grown in his garden :chops:

So Dad prepared a bed, ordered crowns from the same supplier, and planted them

A total and unmitigated disaster, Dad had few of those, but this was one

I've been a bit nervous about it ever since
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby suffolk » September 11th, 2017, 12:10 pm

I planted an asparagus bed once a long time ago ... then 13 year old son, in an effort to get back into his Mama's good books, dug over her vegetable bed for her ... as a surprise ... :shock: ... he also pulled up the dead stick things at the other end of the veg patch ... that was the black currant bushes gone too then ... he was so pleased with himself and he had dug it all very nicely :lol:
I've not bothered since ... there's lots of lovely locally grown asparagus around here :chops:
“One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.”
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » September 11th, 2017, 2:15 pm

My mother had a few plants amongst the flower borders and got enough for a few good meals every year.

Isn't there something about having to wait several years for the first crop?
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Luca » September 11th, 2017, 3:49 pm

Yes, that rings a bell em. My mother, a keen gardener, was unable to succeed in a big crop but we managed a few meals a year for the two of us on occasion. She did mention something about the years it took!
Luca
Global Moderator

Postby suffolk » September 11th, 2017, 4:36 pm

Oh yes, you don't get your first harvest until the bed is at least 3 years old ... if you crop them before that you'll weaken the crowns and get nothing the following year. And for the first few years after that you only take a few ... it's a long term project :)
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby StokeySue » September 11th, 2017, 4:46 pm

Dad's didn't even produce leaves, apart from a few scruffy bits, I wonder in retrospect if they were infested with something like vine weevils (no treatment for them then I suspect)
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » September 12th, 2017, 9:03 am

suffolk wrote:I planted an asparagus bed once a long time ago ... then 13 year old son, in an effort to get back into his Mama's good books, dug over her vegetable bed for her ... as a surprise ... :shock: ... he also pulled up the dead stick things at the other end of the veg patch ... that was the black currant bushes gone too then ... he was so pleased with himself and he had dug it all very nicely :lol:
I've not bothered since ... there's lots of lovely locally grown asparagus around here :chops:

oh no!!!
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » September 12th, 2017, 9:09 am

I am prepared to wait. I waited two years for my rhubarb. In fact, waiting is almost appealing. I am not sure where I would put it though, now I think about it. The bottom half of my garden is possibly too shady, and I am not sure I want a vegetable bed in the top half. Need to cut down some trees... :) (My neighbour certainly does :evil: His behemoth has grown massively this year and has put our very big garden in shade. Last year the entire lawn was bathed in sunlight in the summer. Now only the top and bottom few feet. And he made us get our twig-like eucalyptus cut down. Anyway...)

It would probably be ok in in the bed where the rhubarb is, but I would have to take the rhubarb out.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » September 19th, 2017, 11:17 am

Herbidacious wrote:
suffolk wrote:I planted an asparagus bed once a long time ago ... then 13 year old son, in an effort to get back into his Mama's good books, dug over her vegetable bed for her ... as a surprise ... :shock: ... he also pulled up the dead stick things at the other end of the veg patch ... that was the black currant bushes gone too then ... he was so pleased with himself and he had dug it all very nicely :lol:

oh no!!!

:lol: :lol: :lol: Sorry that made me chuckle!
Christmas is upon us - yippee!
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby suffolk » September 19th, 2017, 11:30 am

It made me chuckle too .... eventually :lol:

He still gets reminded of it from time to time ;)
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » September 22nd, 2017, 6:27 am

My Dad did plant a large area in Asp. eventually gave up, and ploughed them back in...... little return for a lot of effort. I did buy a couple of crowns but they eventually 'disappeared'. My rhubarb is splendid and I get loads from two plants. Lots of my local neighbours benefit :tu:

Good Luck Herb !
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby Badger's mate » September 22nd, 2017, 7:16 am

It's a debate at home. Do I need a third plot, for a polytunnel, asparagus bed and a lot of strawberries.

Likewise the keeping of chickens, the 'Voice of Reason' prevails...

As Suffs says, plenty of good locally grown asparagus. We gorge upon it in season, don't eat it the rest of the year
Badger's mate
Registered

Return to The Kitchen Garden