Crop of 2012

Out by the shed, near the chicken coop. The place everyone hangs out to discuss the various edibles they raise in their gardens/allotments.

Crop of 2012

Postby Annie » March 1st, 2012, 8:54 am

What are you planning on growing for your kitchen in the garden/allotment this year :?:

I will be having in the garden/greenhouse
Lettuce, I grow these all year round in the greenhouse and garden anyway and use several different types lambs lettuce as a seed on their own and then mixed leaves.
Radishes I have both red and white varieties on the go and will continue to sow in succession along with Lettuce.
Tomatoes only two varieties I think this year I tried four or five last year and was disappointed with the flavours of most of them.
Cucumber not been into these much but SiL is starting some off by seed that she says are great and good picked nice and small.
Galia Melon because I wanted to try it. I do think it may take up a lot of space in my greenhouse though.
Carrots not a lot of them but I have a barrel that I thought would work well against root fly.
Peas.
French beans.
Chillies and Pepper I'm trying from seed I've collected from shop bought. SiL is sewing seed from packets for the same and we will compare the results.
Spinach we are growing a climbing version SiL and I picked up at the Gardeners World exhibition last year.
Trying potatoes from shop bought 'white' potatoes too.

So a few experiments being tried this year.

What are your plans :?:
Thanks, Annie
Annie
Registered

Re: Crop of 2012

Postby Suelle » March 1st, 2012, 9:31 am

We have a bit of a dilemma, as we are already in drought conditions here. If I could forsee the summer weather, I'd be a lot more confident about my choices!

I want to have another go at butternut squash, but must start earlier this year - the fruit were only a few cm long by the time the plant started dying back last year.
Runner and french beans always do well, as do mange-tout, so I'll grow those again.
Courgettes are always a gamble - they didn't do too well last year, but in a good year are well worth the space they take up.
Other than those I'll grow a few tomatoes - probably Sungold - and nurture my permanent beds of rhubarb and strawberries.

I like to try something new each year, to see how well it does in either our raised beds or the clay soil, and to see if it's worth carrying on with. Last year's Jerusalem artichokes won't be repeated, as we had severe stomach pains after eating the first meal, and threw the rest away! :lol: I'm not sure what I'll try this year!
Suelle
Global Moderator

Postby Annie » March 1st, 2012, 9:44 am

I forgot the courgettes I grow yellow plants and SiL does the green.

As with all crops we swap seedlings between us and a friend. I also have Jerusalem artichokes to find a space for thanks to Zosh for those. I might try a couple of butternut squash again I gave them a go a couple of years a go and the crop was awful. Last years crop for everyone was poor the things that were on sale in the shops is testament to that. Although Suffolk mentioned a Crown Prince Squash the other day that sounds worth a try if I can find some seed locally.
Thanks, Annie
Annie
Registered

Postby hickybank » March 1st, 2012, 10:19 am

I had a veg patch last year as an experiment, Runner beans were good so were Onions & parsnip everything else was a dissapointment

So this year I have turned the plot over to a wildflower meadow & hope to attract Butterflies & Bees to my garden.

The fresh was nice but not worth the effort, others I know will dissagree.

I still have the green house for Toms etc

Terry
Last edited by hickybank on March 1st, 2012, 10:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Common sense is not so common
A brain is as strong as it's weakest think
hickybank
Registered

Postby Annie » March 1st, 2012, 10:29 am

Terry I grow my veg in the flower beds or in tubs. My garden is too small to devote lots of space and have a pleasant looking garden to sit out in. I so miss the space of the allotment and the other land I had. But in reality it is not feasible for me to be able to manage it. We used to grow nearly all that we ate only buying a small amount. Seems strange to buy onions now (I don't grow any now) when I hadn't bought one for nearly 20 years.

I can tell you that what was a failure one season can be great the next depending on conditions that you both have and don't have control over.
Thanks, Annie
Annie
Registered

Postby Fiona » March 1st, 2012, 2:31 pm

Does anyone know about growing horseradish please? I read somewhere that its easy to grow, but what I know about gardening you can write on a postage stamp!

Thanks!
Fiona :)
Fiona
Registered

Postby hickybank » March 1st, 2012, 3:13 pm

Best to find ir in the wild & dig up what you want.

It is very easy to grow & spreads like hell.

Dont plant in a veg patch or anywhere where you dig it every year,find a part of your garden that is not touched & plant it there. as it is a perenial once planted you can leave it alone

If you find it wild you can always dig it up & plant in your garden, either dig up the whole plant root & foilage or just the root & in 2 years time you will be suppling everyone on the messageboard with it :lol: :lol:

Cheers
Terry
hickybank
Registered

Postby Annie » March 1st, 2012, 4:50 pm

hickybank wrote:Dont plant in a veg patch or anywhere where you dig it every year,find a part of your garden that is not touched & plant it there. as it is a perenial once planted you can leave it alone

If you find it wild you can always dig it up & plant in your garden, either dig up the whole plant root & foilage or just the root & in 2 years time you will be suppling everyone on the messageboard with it :lol: :lol:

Cheers
Terry
I gardener friend told me that it should be dug up every year after the first frost. Use the main root and plant 1 or 2 of the offshoots. Also to plant it in a part of the garden well away from anything else. It can be very evasive with underground roots and a barrier should be planted to stop it if possible. It was after this advice I decided not to bother as I would only use a small amount of it in any year.

Apparently it looks like dock leaf but with white flowers. I was once told it was easily confused with something that to humans is very poisonous can't remember what though.

Did you know though that despite its name it is in fact poisonous to horses.
Thanks, Annie
Annie
Registered

Postby Fiona » March 1st, 2012, 5:35 pm

well thanks Terry and Annie, easy to grow and spreads like hell is my kinda gardening!

I would like to find it wild but the whole foraging thing terrifies me - for the exact reason Annie said, I'd have to buy it from a garden centre or in seed form and have it positively identified by an expert before I could eat it.

I found one in the supermarket here once, never seen it again, it was in the kitchen and every time I walked past I had to munch a piece off the root and it only lasted a couple of days and I hadnt even made anything with it!

Fiona
Registered

Postby hickybank » March 1st, 2012, 6:24 pm

Hi fiona,
As they are a perenial you will be very hard pushed to find seeds as it is usually sold as a root stock,now is the time to order for March delivery if you have a problem you can get them here.
http://www.marshalls-seeds.co.uk/horser ... d2443.html

Cheers
Terry
Last edited by hickybank on March 1st, 2012, 6:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hickybank
Registered

Postby 4dogsagain » March 1st, 2012, 7:01 pm

I have a 72 sqm veg garden, in a shade house, with overhead mist irrigation. At present we are cropping swiss chard, leeks, green beans, rhubarb, and tiny tomatoes, both red and yellow. On the way: carrots, onions, pumpkin, more tomatoes. Just planted: spinach, more leeks, sugar snap peas, peas, broad beans. The last three are all winter crops. I also have planted 20 aspargus plants this year.
Don't stop doing things because you are growing old; you only grow old if you stop doing things.
4dogsagain
Registered

Postby Fiona » March 2nd, 2012, 9:19 am

Thanks Terry! :)

Fiona
Registered

Postby elaine » March 2nd, 2012, 10:16 am

Fiona

I bought a horseradish plant from this company

http://www.victoriananursery.co.uk/search.asp
elaine
elaine
Registered

Postby ianinfrance » March 2nd, 2012, 3:53 pm

I would endorse the advice to dig it out every year, take strap cuttings and replant. That way you get reasonably non-fibrous roots to use.

Otherwise it's total nightmare to manage.
--
All the best
Ian
http://www.souvigne.com
The Earth is degenerating today. Bribery and corruption abound. Children no longer obey their parents, every man wants to write a book, and it is evident that the end of the world is fast approaching.
ianinfrance
Global Moderator

Postby Kitewatcher » March 2nd, 2012, 4:38 pm

And if onions make you cry, you'll weep buckets preparing horseradish.

IMO it should only be sold with a massive warning attached to it.
Kitewatcher
Registered

Postby ianinfrance » March 2nd, 2012, 6:15 pm

Kitewatcher wrote:And if onions make you cry, you'll weep buckets preparing horseradish.

IMO it should only be sold with a massive warning attached to it.

Quite true. I've seen a "recipe" from a good friend in New England which involves using a powerful fan, blowing air over your prep area right towards an open window. Grating fresh horseradish is not for wimps.
--
All the best
Ian
http://www.souvigne.com
The Earth is degenerating today. Bribery and corruption abound. Children no longer obey their parents, every man wants to write a book, and it is evident that the end of the world is fast approaching.
ianinfrance
Global Moderator

Postby Mamta » March 2nd, 2012, 6:41 pm

This seems like a good list you have Annie. Water shortage is predicted and my beds are a bit porous, too much grit/rubble underneath the soil. I will grow probably following, though not sure if it is worth the work.
Lettuce, a few varieties and sown every few weeks
Radishes I did not have much success with white ones, they did not set well. Red ones were okay but not great. But since I use their leaves in salad and cooking, I will grow them again.
Carrots Not had much luck with these either, so not sure!
Tomatoes I will grow a few Beef tomatoes, not sure about small ones. I want something full of flavour and early ripening. Any suggestions anyone?
Cucumber Not had much luck with them. Any good varieties for outdoors, south facing wall?
Peas, may be.
French/runner beans, a few. Surplus freeze very well.
Chillies Not sure which ones. I want some thin, long and hot ones.
Spinach Definitely
Spinach chard I have some seeds left from last year. It had white stems, was delicious. I am too lazy to go and look at the packet to get the correct name.
Butternut squash, a couple of plants, definitely.
Courgettes did not do well last year after the initial few. Not sure if they are worth it!
Coriander every few weeks.

No potatoes this year, not worth it for a small garden. I might do a few pots but the problem is you cannot buy seed potatoes in small numbers!
No Onions either, not worth it.
No Jerusalem artichokes I would have loved to have a few, but better not, since I am intolerant to them!
I've seen a "recipe" from a good friend in New England which involves using a powerful fan, blowing air over your prep area right towards an open window. Grating fresh horseradish is not for wimps

It is strange, I have not had problem with onions since I was a teenager. there must be a reason, may be my glasses :D !
Last edited by Mamta on March 2nd, 2012, 6:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Mamta
Registered

Postby Mamta » March 2nd, 2012, 6:44 pm

It is strange, I just noticed, my ID picture has changed back to the old one by itself!
Last edited by Mamta on March 2nd, 2012, 6:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mamta
Registered

Postby Annie » March 3rd, 2012, 9:38 am

Definitely some strange goblins making mischief in the workings of this site ATM.

I know what you mean about the onions and not being worth it. My view on what to grow is either that it makes sense money wise and space wise and/or an item not being available in the shops. Thus I might have a go at the Crown Princess Squash that Suffolk mentioned on the soup thread, I've never seen one here. Another reason is to try new things thus growing some things from seed collected by shop bought things, I've always been told to buy seeds and thought I would try something different.
Lettuce can be cropped continuously and can be grown amongst the plants making the garden look full when it is otherwise bare. French beans can produce a good crop in a small area and provides height to the garden greenery. Peas well I doubt they make it as far as the table, I tend to pick and eat them in the garden but you just can't get them that deliciously fresh in the shops, they lose something within a few minutes of picking.
The potatoes which will be in grow bags are purely an experiment, with the way the water situation is any I've grown in the last few years has been a very expensive yield.
Thanks, Annie
Annie
Registered

Postby Mamta » March 3rd, 2012, 10:50 am

Crown Princess Squash

Looks huge, like a pumpkin!
I tend to plant even things like tomatoes and courgettes amongst my flower beds. Things like spinach I grow in rows or in little circular patches amongst the flowers. Coriander is often free sprinkled around here so you have to look where it is LOL!
My search for vegetable crops that can grow in very little water shows a few below, the ones I will probably grow. I just can not carry cans of water if there is a hosepipe ban!
Aubergine
Black-eyed peas or cowpeas, will use seeds from my larder
Chard
Courgettes
Cucumbers
Garbanzo beans-seeds from my larder
Heartless, Asian greens like bok choi, wong bok, tatsoi, mizuna and mibuna. Hearted ones like iceberg are not suggested
Kohl rabi (Brassica oleracea gongylodes) - It did very well last year and I love it. Looks lovely too, with its purple colour. It does need a fair bot of water though.
Mustard greens. I might try some, their Saag is delicious.
Purslane: Not sure
Shallots (not worth growing for me, though shallots bhaji in south Indian style is truly delicious.
Spinach
Squash
Tomatoes, especially small ones
Woody stemmed herbs sage, thyme, oregano, rosemary and savory

I have seeds for all of them from before, so won't be buying any this year, except for Beef tomatoes and kale, which i ran out last year. Any recommendations from people who have grown them last year will be greatly appreciated?
Mamta
Registered

Postby Mamta » March 3rd, 2012, 10:56 am

I did not know that Purslane (Kulfa saag) comes from India and was Gandhi's favourite saag! My GM used to cook it a lot, with dals and with potatoes, as a bhaji. WWW is such a wonderful resource, isn't it?
Mamta
Registered

Postby miss mouse » March 3rd, 2012, 5:09 pm

Mamta wrote:
No potatoes this year, not worth it for a small garden. I might do a few pots but the problem is you cannot buy seed potatoes in small numbers!

You could save and chit some potatoes bought for eating rather than buy too many seed potatoes.
miss mouse
Registered

Postby Annie » March 3rd, 2012, 5:45 pm

miss mouse wrote:
Mamta wrote:

You could save and chit some potatoes bought for eating rather than buy too many seed potatoes.
That's what I'm trying this year the bought seed potatoes were far to expensive for the poor yield in recent years. I've been told before that they are not disease resistant and shouldn't be used but it is worth an experiment. Not like I have big crops of them to spoil.
Thanks, Annie
Annie
Registered

Postby Mamta » March 3rd, 2012, 5:50 pm

I just posted and it disappeared into thin air!
I worry about importing some disease plus the yield was not great in the past, though I have tried it. With sweet potatoes, i got the plants but no roots!
Last edited by Mamta on March 3rd, 2012, 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mamta
Registered

Postby Annie » March 3rd, 2012, 7:26 pm

Mind you Mamta that is why I'm trying it in sacks rather than in the ground. If they get diseased then it will just be binned and no tainted soil.
Thanks, Annie
Annie
Registered

Postby Suelle » March 4th, 2012, 7:06 am

Wilkinson's usually sell seed potatoes in packs of 5 - just the right amount for a tub. I think they understand better than garden centres that not everyone is a large scale gardener,

However, having grown potatoes for three or four years, to help break up a clay soil when we first moved here, we don't bother any more. Potatoes are cheap, and with a small garden I think it's better to grow either things which are always expensive, even when in season - such as runner beans and mangetout, or things which have a better flavour when absolutely fresh - courgettes and tomatoes.
Suelle
Global Moderator

Postby liketocook2 » March 4th, 2012, 8:51 am

Plans so far include (my garden is all pots)

Lettuce, baby leaf types mainly and a few little gems and cos
Tomatoes, as many as I can between tumbler types in baskets and what I can fit in the greenhouse. Usually do five or six types.
Cucumber , burpless variety in the greenhouse and I'm trying some crystal apple ones outside
Peas
Runner and broad beans
Chillies , six types sown so far and my Dads just bought me a pack of Apache seeds
Spinach beet and chard
Basil,coriander, rocket - my thyme, mint, chives and rosemary all seem to have survived from last year
Leeks got a free pack of seeds so have sown and will see what happens
Courgettes- a mix of green, yellow and round ones. I find you don't get a huge yield from tubs so tend to have lots of plants as I love courgettes
Might grow a few Anya potatoes but don't bother with main crop

Not food but I've also sown a good few trays of bedding plant seeds - did this a couple of years ago with good results

LTC
Last edited by liketocook2 on March 4th, 2012, 8:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
liketocook2
Registered

Postby Annie » March 4th, 2012, 8:55 am

couldn't agree more Sue.

Although not an eating crop by any means I found some good bulb deals in Aldi yesterday varying amounts of summer flowering bulbs for 99p.
Thanks, Annie
Annie
Registered

Postby Mamta » March 4th, 2012, 9:44 am

Wilkinson's usually sell seed potatoes in packs of 5 - just the right amount for a tub.

Will take a look, may be a pot or two will be okay.
Basil,coriander, rocket - my thyme, mint, chives and rosemary all seem to have survived from last year

Forgot Rocket, I grow successive crops of that too. My mint, chive, sage and rosemary have survived too, though rosemary is looking a bit unhappy!
I haven't sown any seeds yet. Once my guests leave tomorrow, I will get down to some gardening. It is raining here, all to the good of my dry soil :-) .

:tu: :td: These smilies are not working!
Mamta
Registered

Postby Annie » March 4th, 2012, 10:51 am

My rosemary is looking better than it ever has for this time of year. My thyme is looking worse for wear though and the mint well this year it survived, which is more than I can say for last year and the year before. The first hard winter it never really recovered from and then last year finished it off. Other perennial herbs are doing OK too.
Thanks, Annie
Annie
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » March 4th, 2012, 9:32 pm

Tommys in the propagator are now 2 inches high. Nearly time for them to go on a window ledge in the sun. All veg beds are turned over awaiting seeds !
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby Mamta » March 5th, 2012, 6:04 am

Guests gone, I better get started on my seeding now! Hope my tomatoes etc. will catch up!
Mamta
Registered

Postby Annie » March 5th, 2012, 12:07 pm

Zosherooney wrote:Tommys in the propagator are now 2 inches high. Nearly time for them to go on a window ledge in the sun. All veg beds are turned over awaiting seeds !
Oh my goodness you are racing ahead of me I need to empty and clean out the green house yet :oops: . I'm not the one setting off the tommy seeds this year though. There are three of us who get different crops going then swap seedlings when we pot them on. We find it works well.
Thanks, Annie
Annie
Registered

Postby suffolk » March 7th, 2012, 6:51 am

I've got building work all over the garden at the moment, doing the patio, shoring up banks with sleepers and preparing to make raised beds. I'm not starting any little plants off until I know when he's going to finish - then gardening will commence :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:
“One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.”
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby Mamta » March 7th, 2012, 6:55 am

Good idea. You can always buy a few plants if you are very late.
One thing about buying plants I learnt last year; you get what you pay for. Pansies from B & Q did a lot better, larger and more plentiful flowers, than the LIDL one. I am sure I did not imagine it!
Mamta
Registered

Postby PurpleLuv » March 7th, 2012, 10:04 am

WOOO, slow down you lot, no race, plenty of time to get Tomato & other seeds started, you dont want leggy plants.

Mamta,
Tomatoes I will grow a few Beef tomatoes, not sure about small ones. I want something full of flavour and early ripening. Any suggestions anyone?

I have tried beef tomatoes, various types but give up, the strict watering required to prevent rot is impossiable whilst working, water once a day for standard toms, twice tops but for beef, not worth it IMO, plus the work supporting the heavy fruit is heart breaking when they snap :(

I'd choose a well known standard size tomato, especially if not under glass (mine are) & invest in some 100 & 1000 seeds to grow in hanging baskets, lovely to throw a sweet hanfull into all sorts of dishes.

BTW, sweet potato are grown very differant to normal potato....good luck...I've tried :lol:
PurpleLuv
Global Moderator

Postby PurpleLuv » March 7th, 2012, 10:16 am

A slight topic shift but I have just bought 2 of these to use instead of a rotten packing case :lol: Can recommend to anyone wanting a raised bed --
http://www.greenfingers.com/superstore/ ... id=LS5285D
PurpleLuv
Global Moderator

Postby Mamta » March 7th, 2012, 10:51 am

I have tried beef tomatoes, various types but give up, the strict watering required to prevent rot is impossiable whilst working, water once a day for standard toms, twice tops but for beef, not worth it IMO, plus the work supporting the heavy fruit is heart breaking when they snap

A friend has requested a few plants of Beef tomatoes. That is why I was going to try them this year. Is there any other large tomato that is easy to grow? Mine will live in my conservatory until late May or June, but then will go out in the open.
I am going out to B & Q later this afternoon, to get some compost etc. will look out for seeds of 100s and 1000s. I tried cherry tomatoes in a basket the year before last, they didn't do so well.
Mamta
Registered

Postby PurpleLuv » March 7th, 2012, 11:44 am

Gardener’s Delight always do well (for me) medium & taste good also Marmande are a nice large beef ish tomato.

Both should be quite cheap & available.

If you must do real big Beef toms, try Big Boy & don't pay much for fancy seeds.
Last edited by PurpleLuv on March 7th, 2012, 11:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
PurpleLuv
Global Moderator

Postby Mamta » March 7th, 2012, 1:51 pm

Will get seeds for Gardener's delight and Marmande, have heard of both.
Thanks.
Mamta
Registered

Postby Annie » March 7th, 2012, 5:11 pm

Love gardeners delight always a good crop and great taste. I tried loads of different one last year lots of them looked good but were tasteless.

That site is a good one purps I have now a couple of plant stands winging their way to me.
Thanks, Annie
Annie
Registered

Postby liketocook2 » March 7th, 2012, 5:21 pm

Great site thanks Purps - have book marked for a good look later.
Agree re not starting toms too early, after many experiments the best time to sow the seeds here is the end of March/beginning of April any earlier and they just go spindly and seem more prone to disease. Being in the North things are always a wee bit later to get going - not enough light even if the weather is ok.
First chilli seed planted 2 weeks ago has popped its head up :D I've planted loads as the seeds were bits and bobs from previous years so I'm not sure how many will come. Leeks have also come through and a broad bean.
LTC
liketocook2
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » March 7th, 2012, 6:43 pm

Purps, that is why I have taken them out of the propagator. They will slow down on the window ledge and create roots. The warmth of the P. just gets the seeds going. P. now has ickle tommy plants (cherry) in - see thread 10 seeds for £1.58 rip off !!!!

My green house still needs sorting from last Autumn and housing my sick chicken.

I plan to grow, courgettes, tatos - Pink Fir appple and Desire. French beans, Butternut Sq. Babbington leeks and ordinary ones too as the Babs take a couple of years to produce. Snips and may have another go at carrotts.
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby Mamta » March 7th, 2012, 6:57 pm

Got my tom seeds both gardener's delight and marmande, and a couple of others, will start seeding on week-end :-)! My courgettes didn't do too well last year after an initial spurt. May be I will change their position to less sunny!
I am looking forward to gardening, just wish had a bit more energy.
Mamta
Registered

Postby suffolk » March 7th, 2012, 8:27 pm

I grew a Black Russian http://www.plantexplorers.com/twiningvi ... cts_id/621 in a large pot a couple of years ago - the plant was a gift from a friend - I staked it with 3 tomato canes and wound garden twine around them to give the plant and trusses some support.
It was in my previous tiny north facing back yard, and it was the only tomato plant that didn't succumb to blight that year.
I watered it evening and morning and although it didn't produce a heavy crop, the tomatoes were large and delicious and when my new and sunnier garden is up and running I'll certainly give it another go :D
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby Mamta » March 8th, 2012, 7:23 am

I watered it evening and morning

That is something I can not do, I am not always around :-(. You are dedicated suffolk :), even when here, I manage only once a day, mostly late afternoons.
Mamta
Registered

Postby suffolk » March 8th, 2012, 7:32 am

In the summer I potter in the garden before I go to work, and in the evening I water and tend the plants while OH does the washing up :D
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby liketocook2 » March 18th, 2012, 8:23 pm

Sowed my tomato, courgette and cue seeds today - my kitchen/conservatory is like a greenhouse!
All previous sowings are doing great except for my chillis. Only the jalepenos are showing any signs of growing, though tbh I was using up some old seed so not expecting a huge return, still there is time yet.
Younger son has agrred to repair my greenhouse when uni stops in a couple of weeks but I've also ordered a mini greenhouse to sit on the deck from Greenfingers (thanks Purps :D )

LTC
liketocook2
Registered

Postby Cheezy_Jazzy » March 19th, 2012, 2:17 pm

This year I will have in the garden

Fruit wise - Bramley Apples, Two different types of pear, two different types of cherry, asparagus, rhubarb, tayberries, loganberries, raspberries and various types of strawberry.

Herbwise I have fennel (green and bronze), oregano (which has gone nuts again and has survived two harsh winters), dill, chives, garlic chives, rosemary, thyme, parsley, basil and I will be getting some lemon verbena. I also have three pots of mint but it looks like not all of it has survived :( There will probably be some other herbs to get.

I already have swiss chard (bright lights), onions, shallots and garlic growing in various parts of the garden.

Last weekend I sowed a couple of varieties of carrot (nantes and Amsterdam) and parsnips and mixed together various salad leaves seeds together. In a few weeks time I will be sowing some more. I also sowed some radish

Yesterday I sowed mangetout.

I have yet to do a couple of varieties of leeks, butterbush squash, a winter radish and some sunflowers.

I have on order to come in May some tomato plants and trailing sweet pepper plants which come with a wicker basket.

I will get some yellow tomatoes from one of the local garden centres and I will also be getting some more strawberries as a lot did not survive the winter and I have some gaps in my strawberry pots.

I will also do nasturtiums and another flower whose name I cannot remember. :D

I am going to start growing a few things in the front garden as well most likely a rosemary bush, some flowers and at some point this year I want to get another fruit tree. I am sure my elderly next door neighbour will use it as target practice as she keeps trying to crash into my conifer tree at the top of my path.
Last edited by Cheezy_Jazzy on March 19th, 2012, 2:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImageImageImage
Cheezy_Jazzy
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » March 19th, 2012, 10:21 pm

My propagated tommy plants (moneymaker) are just showing signs of 2nd leaves and the tiny cherry ones have just popped their clogs. Got about 8 of those. They will go in the hanging (or in my garden sitting) baskets. Greenhouse is just about cleared out for the season. The horseradish is threatening to take over in there ! !
Zosherooney
Registered

Next

Return to The Kitchen Garden