Crop of 2012

Out by the shed, near the chicken coop. The place everyone hangs out to discuss the various edibles they raise in their gardens/allotments.

Re: Crop of 2012

Postby Mamta » March 20th, 2012, 5:45 am

Planted my French bean and courgette seeds in toilet roll tubes yesterday. Kohl robi seeds and lemon grass have germinated. Nothing else has raised it's head yet!
Mamta
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » March 20th, 2012, 1:37 pm

My moneymaker tommys have just shown me their 2nd leaves and the cherry ones have just popped their heads up from the earth with signs of green leaves. Must get on with leeks and snips before I am too late.
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby Kavey » March 20th, 2012, 4:17 pm

We had bought a lot of our seeds last year, well... what I mean is we didn't plant most of what we had last year as we were a bit overwhelmed with the new allotment.

So I already had lots and lots of seeds.

And I was only going to add a few missing items such as tomatoes, leeks and herbs to the seed list. But as I was looking at various online seed retailers, I tweeted one, and to my surprise, they offered me the seed competition (see stickies in Coffee Shop). As part of that, they offered me the same value of seeds for myself, so I thought, what the heck, I can save some for next year or year after, and went for it!

MUM, I have LOTS of seeds to share with you, so need to try and visit you soon.

We will NOT plant all of these for 2012, we just won't have time to propagate all the indoor seeds, but here's what we currently have.

Aubergine - Black Beauty
Bean, Climbing - Borlotto
Bean, Climbing, French - Cosse Violette
Bean, Dwarf, French - Purple Queen
Beetroot - Detroit 6 Rubidus
Broccoli PSB - Early PSB
Cabbage - January King
Cabbage - Savoy Vertus
Cabbage (Chinese) - Wong Bok
Cape Gooseberry - Cape Gooseberry
Carrot - Chantenay Red Cored
Carrot - Cosmic Purple
Cauliflower - Purple Cape
Cauliflower - Verde Marchigiano
Companion - Pot Marigolds
Companion - Spencer Sweet Pea
Courgette - One ball
Courgette - Trieste Half White Long
Courgette - Tristan
Cucumber - Lemon
Cucumber - White
Gourd - Mixed Small Gourds
Herb - Chives
Herb - Coriander
Herb - English winter thyme
Herb - Garlic Chive
Herb - Greek oregano
Herb - Lemon Balm
Herb - Lemon Basil
Herb - Lemon Grass
Herb - Peppermint
Herb - Purple Ruffle Basil
Herb - Rosemary
Herb - Sage
Herb - Sweet Genovese Basil
Herb - Sweet Marjoram
Leek - Blue Solaise
Leek - Musselburgh
Lettuce - Cos Little Gem
Mustard - Southern Giant
Okra - Clemson Spineless
Onion - Long de Florence
Onion, spring - White Lisbon
Parsnip - Tender and True
Pea Mange Tout - Golden Sweet
Pea Normal - Hurst Greenshaft
Pea Sugar Snap - Sugar anne
Pea Sugar Snap - Sugar anne
Peppers - Orange Bell
Peppers - Sweet Aji
Peppers, Hot - Chocolate Habanero
Pumpkin - Chayenne Bush
Radish - French Breakfast
Romanesco - Otto Brino
Salad, Pak choi - Ivory
Salad, Pak choi - Red
Salad, Spinach - Reddy
Salad, Swiss chard - Rainbow Mixed
Strawberry - Golden Alexandria
Sweetcorn - Extra Tender and Sweet
Sweetcorn - Ovation
Sweetcorn - Popcorn Red Strawberry
Tomato - Black Cherry
Tomato - Black Krim
Tomato - Black Russian
Tomato - San Marzano
Tomato - Sungold
Tomato - Tigarella
Watermelon - Sugar Baby

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
Kavey
Registered

Postby Mamta » March 21st, 2012, 4:09 pm

OMG! So many seeds! I am only growing a few things, but will have a look at the list later on. I have just come back from birdwatching and am a bit tired.
Mamta
Registered

Postby Kavey » March 21st, 2012, 4:50 pm

Some are in high numbers, so will be good to share with you.
Few are in small packets.
Okra is 100% for you, I can't stand the stuff but know you like it so picked the seeds for you!
:lol:
Kavey
Registered

Postby PurpleLuv » March 24th, 2012, 3:59 pm

Have done lots in the garden today :D

Some spud tubs planted, French beans sowed, lots of herbs & sweet peas.

A good garden tidy up & now a cold glass of white on the balcony.

8-) The weather is amazing :D
PurpleLuv
Global Moderator

Postby Mamta » March 24th, 2012, 6:47 pm

I too am in the middle of tiding up these days, lovely weather for it. An added bonus of this unexpected weather is that my Pansies in the front garden beds have perked up no end and are looking beautiful alongside tulips.
Mamta
Registered

Postby suffolk » March 31st, 2012, 2:49 pm

Right, we've not even dug the veg patch yet but I couldn't resist buying some seeds when I was in the garden centre this morning - I've bought:

runner beans - Wisley Magic, new to me but described as heavy yielding, with a delicious flavour and with a long cropping period

French beans - dwarf Soleon (I grew these in containers last year and they cropped well and were delicious, a yellow bean with a buttery taste)

carrots - Supreme Chantenay Red Cored, I got this shorter variety as it's a new plot which won't have been worked much

sweetcorn - Rising Sun F1H, described as reliable in indifferent British summers :roll:

romaine lettuce - Chartwell, described having a crunchy texture and the sweetest flavour, excellent downy mildew resistance, good bolting tolerance and heart quality during hotter summer conditions

lettuce - Relic 'Deer's Tongue' - a heritage variety with looseleaf maroon, narrow pointed leaves

Swiss ruby chard - Fantasy F1H 'mild, juicy and delicious with no harsh aftertaste ... tolerance to downy mildew'

radicchio - Italian red

sorrel - Blood Veined

squash - Harrier F1H early fruiting summer butternut

tomato - Marmande

tomato - bush Red Alert

and I bought some Aquadulce Claudia broad beans ready for an autumn sowing

I also bought some bronze fennel and dill seeds, some Russian Giant sunflower seeds
tomato - bush, Red Alert and some gorgeous Pam's Choice foxglove seeds for the planned 'woodland' border.

Now I'd better get out there and dig :lol:
“One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.”
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby Annie » March 31st, 2012, 4:42 pm

I've now go the greenhouse cleared scrubbed and disinfected. Put the bags of compost in there to get lovely and warm and I've just dug out all the toilet roll centres and set them up on trays. I will spend part of today writing out labels and seeds ready to plant up next week. Then it is all systems go come mid week.

I may be a week or two late getting them on the go but it wouldn't matter one bit as the planting times on the packets are purely a guide and here oop North we tend to be a week or two behind garden condition wise. So stuff that needs setting off in March has no problem at the beginning of April.
Thanks, Annie
Annie
Registered

Postby Mamta » March 31st, 2012, 5:47 pm

A lot of my seeds have germinated in my conservatory, some even transplanted in second pots (tomatoes, French beans etc) but I am now in two minds whether to sow any more. With water shortages, there is no way I am going to be able to carry cans of water for them!
Mamta
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » March 31st, 2012, 6:44 pm

I have today, separated my tommys from the main seed trays, I have 33 moneymaker plants now with good third leaves on and the fourth ones starting to show, they must be 5 inches tall. They have their own separate pots and are sitting in the greenhouse - well watered. The cherry tommys are much smaller and have different structured leaves, like little bushes. I have even had an accident (nice one) with some seeds that 'spilt' out of some other type of cherry tommys I had bought to eat, I rinsed the chopping board onto the pots with my Babbington leeks in and the blighters have only gone and grown ! ! So I may even sell some of my seedlings if I have too many.
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby Mamta » March 31st, 2012, 8:38 pm

OMG Zosh, What are you going to do with so many tomatoes? I have about 8 plants each of 4 varieties and some are for my younger daughter and a friend.
Mamta
Registered

Postby Annie » March 31st, 2012, 8:49 pm

We do something similar Mamta. SiL, a friend and myself all bring on one of two varieties each and then swap the seedlings. Same goes for courgettes I always set the yellow ones going and SiL the green. By far an easy solution to to many plants we find.
Thanks, Annie
Annie
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » March 31st, 2012, 11:14 pm

Great Idea Girls, I have already offered tommy plants to those who I know who maybe want some....
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby suffolk » April 1st, 2012, 6:46 am

Doh! Courgettes ... I didn't get courgette seeds! :roll: I foresee another trip to the garden centre :oops:
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby globetrotter » April 1st, 2012, 11:13 am

I sowed some basil seeds in pots of home-made compost a couple of weeks ago, and they're happily living on a warm windowsill in my conservatory. I see that, as well as the basil seedlings, I also have tomato seedlings coming up (from the compost), so don't think I'll need to plant any more tomato seeds!!
globetrotter
Registered

Postby PurpleLuv » April 1st, 2012, 1:50 pm

Feel for me :lol: I grow at least 100 tomato plants & keep the best, this year, 40 or so, the rest go to good homes.

Off out to do an hour or so in the garden, its lovely in the sun but cold when a cloud decends.
PurpleLuv
Global Moderator

Postby Annie » April 1st, 2012, 3:11 pm

Not really a chance to get out in the garden today or tomorrow but I have done a fair bit this week.

I must get on with planting though after tomorrow when I have time, but I seem to have a lot on this week that takes up bits of time here and there throughout the day so not really able to spend proper time in the greenhouse setting it all going.
Thanks, Annie
Annie
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » April 1st, 2012, 5:38 pm

Gosh, the weather today here has been brill, wall to wall sunshine. Have planted, Snips, leeks, carrotts (another go, ) beetroots, broccoi. Cat proofed the lot. Courgettes, 4 x beans in greenhouse and watch and wait. Love playing with nature and the rest ! Mr Zosh planted loads of Pink Fir Apples. Big House Point !!!!! :hi5: :hi5: :hi5:
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby suffolk » April 2nd, 2012, 7:37 am

Well I got to the garden centre again yesterday, that's twice in one weekend :oops: My excuse is that it's the second nearest shop to us - (the first one is Waitrose) and OH had left his house keys in his jacket pocket at work so we had to go didn't we?

I bought some yellow Parador courgettes and OH took a fancy to growing beetroot so he chose Alto F1H cylindrical beets (need to encourage him in the gardening stuff).

I also bought sweet pea seeds, oriental poppies and one of my especial favourites Sweet Rocket - I just love the way it's perfume scents the garden in the evening.
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby Suelle » April 2nd, 2012, 7:53 am

I harvested the first rhubarb from the garden yesterday, and made a deliious Rhubarb and Ginger Crumble with it! I've also noticed that the Swiss Chard has survived the winter and is beginning to grow again, so I've been taking a few leaves off occasionally.

Must get on with sowing seeds for the cold frame though, or things will be a bit late.
Suelle
Global Moderator

Postby suffolk » April 2nd, 2012, 8:53 am

Yes, I brought a container of Swiss (Ruby) chard with us when we moved in August, it's still growing and has provided us with the occasional meal through the winter - wonderful stuff :D
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby BelgianBlue » April 2nd, 2012, 9:22 am

The first two spears of asparagus broke ground yesterday - easy to remember the date!
It's not rained here for a month at least so I think I'll take the hose pipe to them later today to give them a little help.
Planted 10 good sized crowns in Spring 2010. My garden is full of roots with trees and tall hedges everywhere, so I'll probably never get a good crop, but hope springs eternal and seeing the first ones poke through the earth is always heartwarming (and I've decided that if I ever move house - I shall dig them up and take them with me :lol: )
d
Last edited by BelgianBlue on April 2nd, 2012, 9:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
BelgianBlue
Registered

Postby Mamta » April 2nd, 2012, 10:51 am

My chard has also survived and it is looking rather good after the recent sunshine. I must harvest it before the next cold spell. My seedlings are doing well, but I keep wondering if they worth the trouble, since there is a hosepipe ban on all summer!
Mamta
Registered

Postby suffolk » April 2nd, 2012, 11:19 am

In the area covered by Anglian Water, you are still able to use a hosepipe to water your garden if you have severe mobility problems or have a Blue Badge.

There are different exemptions in different areas - check here http://www.hosepipeban.org.uk/2012/03/1 ... /#comments

For some reason it goes straight to the bottom of the page - scroll up to the top for the relevant info and links to your water company.
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby Mamta » April 2nd, 2012, 5:18 pm

I moved on a lot of my seedling into next sized pots this afternoon. Not sure what will happen to my Vegetable garden without water, may be it will be a wet summer this year LOL!
Mamta
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » April 2nd, 2012, 6:10 pm

This is called SODS law. Hot summer and not a drop of water to help ! ! Watch and Wait !!!! :lol:
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby suffolk » May 7th, 2012, 8:42 pm

We've had a weekend of dry-ish weather so time to post on here again - the tomato, courgette and butternut squash seeds that I started off on the kitchen windowsill in a cheap little 'propagator' http://www.suttons.co.uk/Gardening/Gard ... MH2742.htm are beginning to pop up :D

Just a bit of a prob - the labels for the courgettes and butternut squashes have got mixed so not sure which is which - and there's a tomato growing in either a courgette pot or a squash pot :?

The First Early potatoes (planted 3 weeks ago) have been earthed up again (a cold night's expected so I earthed up again this evening to protect them).

The cos lettuces and radishes are through but are a little slow to get away, but it's been very cold so I'm not really surprised. I've put another row of cos lettuce and half a row of radishes in today, along with a row of Chantenay carrots and some beetroot. If it carries on being so cool I might look at getting some fleece or even a mini-poly-tunnel type cloche.

I usually direct sow my runner beans, but as it's so cold this spring I've started them in grow tubes in my mini-greenhouse, and I've also started the sweetcorn in fibre pots in the greenhouse.

The two compost bins I ordered from Greenfingershttp://www.greenfingers.com ... id=DS0263D arrived and OH assembled them yesterday. He was very pleased that they fitted together really well, no problems at all, and they have formed quite solid and secure structures. I shall give them a positive review on their website.

I've started to 'build' compost in the first one already as we have bin bags full of leaves raked off the lawn last autumn, so I've layered some partially rotted leaves with the straw and dry leaves from Hefty the Hedgehog's winter quarters, and grass from the first lawn mowing this weekend.

I've also dug in a good dose of well rotted farmyard manure on the second half of the veg patch, where I plan to grow some chard, runner beans, sweet corn and, if there's room the courgettes may go there too. If there's not room they'll go in a raised bed in front of the greenhouse.

When I was diggng the manure into the garden, I was surprised to find that just a few inches below the surface, despite what has seemed virtually a month of nothing but heavy rain, the soil was very dry.

The soil in this new veg patch is the best I've ever had, a sandy loam rather than heavy clay or 'city dust', but it is a bit gravelly and quite free draining. I'm thinking that as I don't plan to grow a great deal of over-wintering veg, it might be an idea to try growing a green manure over the winter, to dig in in early spring, to help improve the soil structure a bit.

Does anyone on here have experience of 'green manuring' please? :D Any information would be helpful - thanks :D
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby Mamta » May 8th, 2012, 4:47 am

Just a bit of a prob - the labels for the courgettes and butternut squashes have got mixed so not sure which is which - and there's a tomato growing in either a courgette pot or a squash pot

What fun, waiting to see what crops up :lol: :lol: !
You have been busy suffolk! All my plants are waiting to go in, but it seems too cold outside. They will need to go into next size pots soon, if weather doesn't perk up. Today I am going to my younger daughters in south London. I am taking a few plants. I will plant them in her small, walled garden and hope they survive. This is May after all. I remember one year when it snowed in May, so lets hope that doesn't happen.
My spinach and white chard are going wild, I can't cut it fast enough! I must freeze some, before it looses it's taste.
Mamta
Registered

Postby suffolk » May 8th, 2012, 5:42 am

Yes it is cold Mamta, although the forecast for today is a bit warmer they're still talking about overnight frosts so I'm not putting anything tender out yet :scared: And I can remember a freak snowfall on 6th June one year, think it must have been back in the late 70s - I can remember the date because it was my Granny's birthday - she who hailed from Luton :D

Like you, I will take any additional plants to my daughter (in Ipswich) who also has a little walled garden - she's not had time to do much gardening this year as it's been the final year of her degree - but her dissertation is almost finished and then has to be bound and handed in by the 14th, and then she can relax in her garden a bit - before job hunting and The Wedding!!!

Looking at my hands this morning, my nails are showing the signs of so much gardening - I've got a voucher for a manicure - I was saving it for when I'm Mother of the Bride, but maybe I'd better get them done before I go shopping for my outfit, otherwise all they'll show me will be welly boots and overalls :lol:
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby Mamta » May 8th, 2012, 8:24 am

Looking at my hands this morning, my nails are showing the signs of so much gardening - I've got a voucher for a manicure - I was saving it for when I'm Mother of the Bride, but maybe I'd better get them done before I go shopping for my outfit, otherwise all they'll show me will be welly boots and overalls

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: !
I can never garden without gloves, skin around my nails just peels off!
Mamta
Registered

Postby PurpleLuv » May 8th, 2012, 10:24 am

:shock: I managed to rip a nail off on Sunday trying to seperate plastic tubs :cry: boy it hurt.

Plans of an afternoon in the garden where doomed yesterday when friends decided to join us , so instead of entertaining my plants I had to be social :roll: & have a :cocktail: or two :D

Going to put a few hours in the greenhouse replanting tonight :tu:
PurpleLuv
Global Moderator

Postby Mamta » May 8th, 2012, 11:32 am

I managed to rip a nail off on Sunday

Ugh, that is horrible! :terrified:
Hope you are better soon :hug: :hug: :hug:
Mamta
Registered

Postby Annie » May 8th, 2012, 11:44 am

:hug: Just the mere mention of ripping nails is like fingers down a blackboard to me :scared:

I've got quite a bit done in the garden but a friend gave me some tomato plants to pot on which I've done but they seem to be suffering. Not doing well at all. Other things are doing OK though. I have some courgettes both green and yellow coming through quite well and my carrots are nearly all germinated. The salad crop of lettuces and radishes are ready to take over the world. I have tried germinating some seeds from bought chillies and peppers and a couple of them seem to be coming through.
Thanks, Annie
Annie
Registered

Postby suffolk » May 8th, 2012, 8:10 pm

Mamta wrote:
Looking at my hands this morning, my nails are showing the signs of so much gardening - I've got a voucher for a manicure - I was saving it for when I'm Mother of the Bride, but maybe I'd better get them done before I go shopping for my outfit, otherwise all they'll show me will be welly boots and overalls

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: !
I can never garden without gloves, skin around my nails just peels off!

I was wearing gloves!!! These ones http://www.notcutts.co.uk/Town-and-Coun ... oppingfeed
I think I need to wear those medical vinyl ones underneath the cloth ones :roll:
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby Annie » May 9th, 2012, 4:49 am

suffolk wrote:I was wearing gloves!!! These ones http://www.notcutts.co.uk/Town-and-Coun ... oppingfeed
I think I need to wear those medical vinyl ones underneath the cloth ones :roll:
I was thinking the same about my gloves, the muck still makes it's way in through them no matter which pair I use. They get in a right state and as I'll be helping with the labouring on the building site in the next couple of weeks I could do with steel tipped gloves :lol:
Thanks, Annie
Annie
Registered

Postby Mamta » May 9th, 2012, 5:13 am

I was wearing gloves!!! These ones http://www.notcutts.co.uk/Town-and-Coun ... oppingfeed

I do exactly that, especially when I am digging or planting and my hands are in contact with soil and grit. I must admit that the skin still peels off sometimes (hangnail), though my nails are not bad. Hangnail is so painful. It is part and parcel of very dry skin of ancient people like me, especially diabetics! I have hand creams lying around in every room/bathroom/toilet and in my kitchen :roll: ! For major digging up jobs, I am known to wear thick, washing up gloves, they give complete protection!
When is the wedding?
Mamta
Registered

Postby suffolk » May 9th, 2012, 5:34 am

The wedding of the year is August 4th Mamta :D , so I've got a little while to smarten myself up a bit :D
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » May 9th, 2012, 11:40 am

Just re-reading thru this thread, none of my courgettes or beans made it through - bit disappointing. I have brocolli thru but as the cats have tried to use the veg beds !!!! Yes I did cat proof it !!!! It must be a magnet thing ?? Not much sign of anything else except weeds. On yes, tatos are well up and thriving.

I did sell my surplus tommy stock and some eggs as well at Scarecrow last weekend. I made £34 and gave a quarter to the Scarecrow fund - they get a bit 'funny' if people jump on the bandwagon. Hence I made my donation straight away and got a pat on the head.
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby Mamta » May 9th, 2012, 2:49 pm

I made £34 and gave a quarter to the Scarecrow fund

:tu:
Mamta
Registered

Postby Hope » May 9th, 2012, 5:52 pm

Zosh - you've still got time for beans and courgettes. I only sowed mine on monday. I usually do them 4 weeks before I expect to be able to plant them out. I'll do another sowing of french beans in 4-6 weeks and probably another after that to keep them cropping for longer.
Hope
Registered

Postby miss mouse » May 9th, 2012, 7:11 pm

Mamta wrote: that the skin still peels off sometimes (hangnail), though my nails are not bad. Hangnail is so painful.

Yes it is, I find lipsalve applied to the wound helps them heal more quickly.

Ouch, Purps, that is horrible.
miss mouse
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » May 9th, 2012, 9:30 pm

Hope, I will give it another go, must have been too cold.
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby Cheezy_Jazzy » May 10th, 2012, 9:13 am

Harvested the first radish of the year the other day it was delicious. Have also harvested a second batch of rhubarb. I have repotted my new strawberry plants and it looks like I am going to be eating them before they get put outside!

I am going to sow some more mangetout and radish this weekend. I am also going to look for some fennel this weekend I already grow the herb but have not had any success with growing the bulb.

I am waiting for my mini peppers and some tomato plants to be delivered this month :tu:
ImageImageImageImage
Cheezy_Jazzy
Registered

Postby Annie » May 10th, 2012, 11:37 am

This time lat year the strawberry plants had small fruits on them This year they are barely picking up after the winter just goes to show the difference between the spring last year and this. I think we will be looking at late July for them.
Thanks, Annie
Annie
Registered

Postby Cheezy_Jazzy » May 10th, 2012, 11:40 am

Outside my alpine strawberries are flowering but my other outside strawberries are not showing any sign of flowers yet.
ImageImageImageImage
Cheezy_Jazzy
Registered

Postby Annie » May 10th, 2012, 11:42 am

snap
Thanks, Annie
Annie
Registered

Postby Hope » May 10th, 2012, 2:56 pm

mine strawbs (cambridge favourite) have been flowering since easter! I've also got buds on the raspberries. but then, looking at your locations, I'm darn sarf, so that could be the reason!
Hope
Registered

Postby Mamta » May 10th, 2012, 3:01 pm

Don't know what varieties I have, but my strawberries are flowering too :-).
I put out a few spare Kohl Rabi plants last night to see if they will survive; so far so good!
Only things I am harvesting are spinach, chard, coriander, parsley, chives etc. that survived the winter. My Chinese cabbage that I planted indoor but haven't been able to put out yet, is almost ready to eat in the pots and beans are shooting up trying to get into everything! Not sure when I can plant them out.
Mamta
Registered

Postby PurpleLuv » May 10th, 2012, 4:25 pm

Time to start hardening some things off, if only for a few hours on a bright day :tu:
PurpleLuv
Global Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to The Kitchen Garden