How much for 10 tomato seeds ?

Out by the shed, near the chicken coop. The place everyone hangs out to discuss the various edibles they raise in their gardens/allotments.

How much for 10 tomato seeds ?

Postby Zosherooney » March 6th, 2012, 1:01 pm

I have just been taking advantage of this sunshine to pot up some stuff outside and having bought a pack of tumbler tommys from Wilkies last week, realised that I paid £1.58 for 10 single seeds !!!!!!!! :scared: :scared: :scared: I wish I had looked on the back and read in very small writing 'approx 10 seeds'. The moneymaker ones I planted recently were from at least 3 years ago and I only use about 20 seeds a year ! Have the price of seeds gone up dramatically or are the seed companies now aware that so many more of us are using garden space to grow stuff and cashing in on the act ???
Zosherooney
Registered

Re: How much for 10 tomato seeds ?

Postby Fiona » March 6th, 2012, 1:24 pm

seems like a big difference...? I suppose they must realise more and more people are growing their own stuff. Is the variety you chose particularly huge or productive? I dont really know about these things.

I've just been to look at the packet of seeds I bought this morning, spring onions. DD loves them and would love to grow some so I picked them up on a whim, £1.89 for 600 seeds!!! Perhpas they have a high failure rate or something? I wouldnt know.

Well thanks to your observation Zosh I bet we all check now!

(DD has set up a time-lapse camera next to some cress seeds, shutter is firing every 60 seconds, currently on 2644 frames!!!)

Fiona :)
Fiona
Registered

Postby StokeySue » March 6th, 2012, 1:45 pm

The price of seeds always depends on the variety

If the tumblers are a new variety and/or F1 hybrids, they will be more expensive than an established, true-breeding, variety like Moneymaker

It costs a lot to breed a new variety (all that skilled labour), and trial it, and the breeder has to get their costs back from the retail sales

F1 hybrids are a lot more work to grow then standard varieties, so again, cost is genuine

Having said which - i do think SOME sellers put it on a bit, but if you look on a good seedsman's site, such as Thompson & Morgan, they often identify very small packets, and explain why that seed is expensive (new variety, only 2000 seeds released to UK market, for example).

ETA: if you look on the T&M website, the tomato seeds vary from £3.60 for 7, to £1.99 for 300
http://www.thompson-morgan.com/vegetables/vegetable-seeds/tomato-seeds
Last edited by StokeySue on March 6th, 2012, 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby 4dogsagain » March 6th, 2012, 6:34 pm

I grow a lot of veges, but have never bought either tomato seeds or tomato plants.
I find that a lot of tom plants grow wherever we put compost, so we just transplant them. As they are from tomatoes that we have eaten and enjoyed (probably se-deeded), the varieties are fine.
Of course I realise that F1 hybrids to not come true when the seed is used, but what the heck! Our seed and plants are free! I was given a few golden pear-shaped toms, one was a little squashy, so I did just that, squashed it into the garden, and now we are picking loads every day.
Don't stop doing things because you are growing old; you only grow old if you stop doing things.
4dogsagain
Registered

Postby Kitewatcher » March 7th, 2012, 12:32 am

I have often found that T&M seed is both expensive and reluctant to germinate.
I use Realseeds which positively encourage seed saving and MoreVeg which have cheap seeds in packets containing sensible amounts and give excellent germination.
Kitewatcher
Registered

Postby ianinfrance » March 7th, 2012, 8:21 am

Just to play the devil's advocate.

As in bottles of wine and all sorts, the packaging, distribution etc are the same for one seed as for a hundred. So there's a fixed cost below which you really can't go.

Remembering that all sees sold in Europe have to be of "approved" varieties, and that the certification scheme is costly, and taking into account that fact that if you buy a "new" variety, the developer gets a fair return for their development work, while there's no such fee for the good old varieties like Moneymaker, it's not unreasonable that the price will vary widely.

Tomato seeds don't keep for ever, and most people buy new every year, so being realistic, just how many plants will the amateur grow? maybe 10, maybe a few more or less, of a few varieties. But 10 seeds, if they all germinate is plenty for most people. What's the point in supplying 100 seeds to amateurs?

So I find it quite unsurprising that the price can vary so widely.

Where I would perhaps criticise growers is where the germination rate is poor, or where they charge a lot more than their competitors for an unprotected variety, or worse, when the flavour is sacrificed to long shelf life, or a good colour.
--
All the best
Ian
http://www.souvigne.com
The Earth is degenerating today. Bribery and corruption abound. Children no longer obey their parents, every man wants to write a book, and it is evident that the end of the world is fast approaching.
ianinfrance
Global Moderator

Postby PurpleLuv » March 7th, 2012, 9:16 am

I grow much more than the average household, last year, far too many to be honest, starting off upto 150 plants & picking the strongest to grow on in the green houses, giving the others away to family & friends plus a local allotment site last year.
I use some trusty old faithful cheap seeds for standard tomato's (99p for 100) but always give a few new ones a try, a regular being 100 & 1000s, £3.49 for 10, but for the yeild, growing length & taste (June -DEC :? ) well worth it.

I always find last years seeds germinate fine, 2 year rotation on seeds here.

I have just sepent £40 on plant & flower seeds, I know every pot that can hold soil on the farm will be full of taste or colour, much much less than plants would cost at the garden centre.

Think the bigest rip offs are to be had at the garden centre, last year people paid, £3.99 for a standard tomato plant, seed cost 1p, £3.99 6 bedding plants, seed cost . of a pence. :roll:
PurpleLuv
Global Moderator

Postby miss mouse » March 7th, 2012, 8:03 pm

ianinfrance wrote:
Tomato seeds don't keep for ever,

I thought that seeds several hundred years old from a tomb had been successfully germinated a few years ago.

A couple of years ago a neighbour gave me some tom plants grown from her F1 hybrid fruit seeds, yes I know, however these fruit tasted better than the F1s of the previous year. All very odd.
miss mouse
Registered

Postby ianinfrance » March 7th, 2012, 10:56 pm

miss mouse wrote:I thought that seeds several hundred years old from a tomb had been successfully germinated a few years ago.
Yes indeed, but they weren't tomato seeds. Some seeds are almost immortal, others won't last a season.
--
All the best
Ian
http://www.souvigne.com
The Earth is degenerating today. Bribery and corruption abound. Children no longer obey their parents, every man wants to write a book, and it is evident that the end of the world is fast approaching.
ianinfrance
Global Moderator

Postby BelgianBlue » March 7th, 2012, 11:05 pm

Growing tomatoes is tinged with irony for me.
I can't grow them to complete ripeness to save may life (and, believe me, I've tried) - just before they are perfect, they begin to rot (blight I suppose :( )
But I find seedlings, dropped by the birds, just about everywhere in my garden.

O for the day I have a garden that is suited to - and can afford - a greenhouse.

Then it will be 'tomatoes here I come' ..... :chops:
BelgianBlue
Registered

Postby suffolk » March 8th, 2012, 7:21 am

It might not be Blight, it might be Blossom End Rot http://apps.rhs.org.uk/advicesearch/profile.aspx?pid=3 and this can be fairly easily remedied - it might be worth trying again ;)
“One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.”
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby miss mouse » March 17th, 2012, 5:13 pm

I could not see the article on your link, Suffs, here is another

http://vegetablemdonline.ppath.cornell. ... lossRt.htm

I have read about using an aspirin spray to prevent blight, it triggers the plants' natural defences. A one-off spray while the plants are young was considered enough when the information first appeared but some are suggesting regular sprays, eg

http://www.ehow.com/how_2126099_use-asp ... atoes.html

I have also seen them protected from rain by translucent corrugated plastic sheets, not very chic but functional

http://www.alibaba.com/showroom/corruga ... heets.html
miss mouse
Registered

Return to The Kitchen Garden