Freshly cut flowers from the garden

Out by the shed, near the chicken coop. The place everyone hangs out to discuss the various edibles they raise in their gardens/allotments.

Freshly cut flowers from the garden

Postby tezza » March 17th, 2012, 5:01 pm

Do any of you grow flowers specifically so that you can cut them and have them in your home? Do you enjoy having a vase of flowers on the side, and if so what are your favourites?

I don't know if it is the vegan in me but I have always thought cut flowers wrong, and have never enjoyed receiving a bouquet of cut flowers as a gift before, not that it has happened many times! :lol: I know flowers from bulbs will grow back even if cut, but I just hate seeing things die.

Anyway, today I have been planning my Mother's Day feast for tomorrow - a general tidy up, iron my best table cloth, make ahead a delicious bolognese sauce to have with spaghetti & also some garlic & rosemary bread, and I have dug out some appropriate CD's that we can have playing in the background while we eat, and suddenly I remembered a patch of hyacinths that are growing right at the top of the garden, obviously planted by the person who lived here before me, and decided to pick them to put in a vase on the table. They smell absolutely divine! I have blue and pink and white, and a couple of daffodils thrown in for a splash of yellow. I can't stop sniffing them. Their aroma is very heady and inhaling it makes me feel that spring is finally here.

I do have a few tubs of plants outside which along with the mini conifers, pansies, random herbs, include some bulbs which are just starting to show a bit of life, and normally I would let these bloom and then die back without bringing them into the home, but I now feel tempted enough to cut those daffs to put into a vase somewhere in the house when they have done their job of making the garden look pretty.

In addition to hyacinths and daffodils it would be nice to have some other wonderful flower aromas in the home, so which flowers do you choose to have in the home because they not only look good but also smell divine?
tezza
Registered

Re: Freshly cut flowers from the garden

Postby earthmaiden » March 17th, 2012, 5:48 pm

In the summer, freshly picked Sweet Peas smell lovely - and you can grow lots to replenish!

I love cut flowers - especially daffodils which seem so fresh and lovely after winter.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » March 17th, 2012, 6:24 pm

Lilies but cut the orange/brown dnagly bits off - they are poisonous to cats. I love the smell and they look splendiferous and very grand.
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby Lokelani » March 17th, 2012, 6:42 pm

I love picking flowers for the house.

Lilies are another one that can really pack a punch scent wise. The bulbs can grow well in pots or borders for years.

I second sweet peas for a delicious but lighter scent & if you grow them you have to pick them to make them produce more, so guilt free flowers without feeling like you're denuding nature of them!

Same with roses, I planted a rose border last autumn & about 20 of the bushes had been in pots on the patio through the summer. I had three or more small vases constantly filled with them & look forward to the same if not better this summer. I chose repeat flowering scented ones with good vase life for that reason really. Again the more you cut the more they produce. Lots of lavenders have been planted too, I think they'll be nice in a vase with the roses. Hopefully I'll have enough pinks to spare a few for indoors too.

I can't bring myself to cut daffodils or tulips out of the garden, I guess they're precious as there is not enough else about at this time. I guess it would be very easy to have a strip of a border of them just for cutting though, then I would.

Alliums can have good vase life, but again I like them in the garden, they can smell a bit garlicky in the house. If there were good hardy gerberas I'd grow them for cutting, I love them.

It's good to have foliage plants too, I have a eucalyptus & another plant whose name I can't remember, for that very reason.
Lokelani
Registered

Postby Lokelani » March 17th, 2012, 6:44 pm

Yes lily stamen stain anything they come into contact with as well as being poisonous, you have to wait for them to open & snip them out.
Lokelani
Registered

Postby Suelle » March 17th, 2012, 7:00 pm

I dislike cut flowers, and I'm not very good at keeping indoor flowering plants alive. The only time I bring flowers in myself is at this time of year, when I rescue daffodils which have fallen or been blown down, and keep a vase of them on the window sill.
Suelle
Global Moderator

Postby suffolk » March 17th, 2012, 7:25 pm

At this time of I love to buy bunches of daffodils from the local farmers - today I bought two bunches @ 55p each. They are on the sideboard in a green celery vase - when I was a child on the farm I would pick some wild daffodils from the woods and give them to Ma who would put them in the green celery vase :D

At other times of the year I sometimes pick say three blooms and a few leaves and twigs, and arrange them in a loosely ikebana style http://files.myopera.com/nhugionhumay/a ... 006070.jpg - it's a style of flower arranging I've enjoyed doing since my teens, and now we've moved here it really suits this house - and there's the added bonus that it doesn't denude the garden of flowers :D
“One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.”
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby miss mouse » March 17th, 2012, 10:07 pm

I too dislike cut flowers, one guest when invited for dinner always brings me a bunch of fading flowers she has just been dead-heading, what should I make of that do you think?

That said, freesias smell wonderful and a flower cut by accident will go in a vase for a while.
miss mouse
Registered

Postby tezza » March 17th, 2012, 10:23 pm

I just moved my cut hyacinths and lone daff from the glass tumbler that I originally placed them in, to a pretty pink and white jug that I forgot I had, and they look amazing. All set for Mother's Day, although I may sneak out tomorrow morning before mum arrives for her lunch to collect the one daffodil nestling beside my shed, to add to the others, as daffs are her favourites. :luv:
tezza
Registered

Postby PurpleLuv » March 19th, 2012, 10:17 am

I'm having a go at growing some flowers this year, some for planting out & hopefully some for the odd vase, just a few types :shock: :lol:

Alyssum Snow Crystals
Achillea Double Diamond
Amaranthus Ribbons and Beads
Antirrhinum Liberty Classic Mixed F1
Aster Colour Carpet Mixed
Belamcanda Leopard Lily
Calendula Neon
Celosia Look Eternal Flames
Cleome spinosa Helen Campbell
Coleus Wizard Mixed
Dahlia Pompon Mixed
Dichondra Silver Falls
Lychnis Dwarf Molten Lava
Marigold (French) Red Marietta
Nicotiana Domino White F1
Penstemon pinifolius - Beard Tongue
Rudbeckia Cherry Brandy
Sweet Pea Singing the Blues
Geranium
Osteospermum Serenity
:o

Wish me luck...results will be posted/pictures.
PurpleLuv
Global Moderator

Postby tezza » March 19th, 2012, 10:38 am

Crikey Purps, you just swallowed a gardening encyclopedia?? :lol: Good luck with that lot, look forward to the pics.

In the meantime......

Please ignore the gaping big hole in the doiley which I only just noticed. :oops:
tezza
Registered

Postby StokeySue » March 19th, 2012, 12:30 pm

I've always had cut flowers in th house; from the garden or bought

Some flowers you appreciate more on a table where you can really see them

Ones I have grown that are easy & nice to pick

Sweet williams and wallflowers - buy bunches of plants in the autumn ot palnt out, easy

Sweet peas - the more you pick the more you get on the plant

Ranunculus - buy corms, quite cheap just shove them in the ground following packet instructions, stand back and wait, these are flowers that actually look better in a vase than in the garden they are member of the buttercup family

I think Sarah Raven did a TV prog and book about planting a cutting garden?
Last edited by StokeySue on March 19th, 2012, 12:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Annie » March 21st, 2012, 8:38 am

Love to have flowers in the house but rarely pick any from the garden except sweet peas which last longer and produce more blooms if cut. This is because I like to mix veg and flowers in the garden and value the colour for where it is. I do rescue the odd flower that has suffered from the weather, Daffs and Tupils being particularly susceptible.

I received a lovely bouquet of flowers for Mother's Day lots of beautiful colour, yellow roses, red and apricot tulips and blue Irises. along with plenty of greenery. Which BTW is the one thing I do pick from the garden, the greenery to fill out the flower in a vase.
Thanks, Annie
Annie
Registered

Postby BelgianBlue » March 21st, 2012, 11:52 am

I must admit I don't normally cut garden flowers for the house, unless the wind snaps the stems, in which case I cut them off and bring them indoors.
That was until I grew some sweet peas for the first time last year - they have to be the easiest and most numerous cut flowers; just keep cutting and you can't go wrong!
Cut all the flowers off and in 10 days time you've got another huge bunch.
Another (unusual and unexpected) lovely cut flower is dill which I grow for the kitchen - beautiful with white sweet peas or mixed with flowers of stronger colour (lovely with old-fashioned deep pink roses), and you get the lovely smell of dill seeds as they start to develop after the scent of the sweet peas wane.
BelgianBlue
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » March 21st, 2012, 12:04 pm

I have just cut some cherry blossom buds that are starting to swell. At the moment they are just brown sticks in a vase with some daffs but by this time next week they should be starting to open. I also noticed this morning that the wisteria (southerly facing) has green buds coming out, bet I don't get flowers again this year ! My white bells are nearly out in the garden, blue ones follow on a bit later.
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby Fiona » March 21st, 2012, 1:54 pm

I don't really like cut flowers in the house, I would rather have them in the garden. Every year someone I know buys me a bouquet of flowers, one of the extravagent £80-£100 ones, and it actually makes me a bit sad! Apart from the fact we normally go off on holiday after the term ends, what a waste (in my opinion) of money! I know that sounds ungrateful but I would rather have a piece of modern jewellery, or a plant in a pot for the garden...or lots of things! I find cut flowers (especially exotic ones) quite high maintenance and I honestly cannot be bothered, plus I know nothing about flowers so I dont know what to do to make them last best. I normally go from receiving them straight to the charity shop and let them have them, I dont know whether they sell them or use them for decor.

Whilst I think hyacinths are so pretty, I find the smell quite overpowering so I dont have them in the house ever, but I LOVE LOVE LOVE the smell of Freesias!

Its a good job some people like cut flowers or the florists would be stuck, but I'm afraid its not for me.

Fiona :)
Last edited by Fiona on March 21st, 2012, 3:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fiona
Registered

Postby StokeySue » March 21st, 2012, 2:48 pm

Those of us without gardens would suffer if we couldn’t have cut flowers - and a bunch of daffs costs less than a pound at the moment

I must look out for my favourite – the little bunches of Anemone de Caen you get around Easter

I currently have a very nice arrangement that was a gift (5 dark red roses, chrysanths, some other things I'm not sure about and lots of greenery) - I'd expect to pay about £30 if buying a similar one

Are you sure the flowers cost that much Fiona? It seems a silly price to me for anything short of a bridal bouquet; I recently bought a flower arrangement to entirely cover the top of a coffin, and it only cost me £70 - and there was a lot of work in making it, as well as plenty of flowers (aminly chrysanths, daffs & iris, but also some very good yellow roses, and they are never cheap)

Occasionally M&S have bunches of South African flowers that last a long time and smell wonderfully of fynbos, just like the Cape.
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Fiona » March 21st, 2012, 2:54 pm

'fraid so Sue, ridiculous money isnt it! she only uses the most exclusive designer florist, and bearing in mind where we live, even quite ordinary things are imported. The last time I bought a funeral arrangement it would have obscured a standard dinner plate but only just, and it cost me £50. I think bridal bouquets are very much more expensive as they are all wired wtc, I recently found my 'wedding' folder, my bouquet (which was in no way extravagent) was £75 and that was in 1988!

I wish I knew about plants in pots for the house, lovely to have living greenery around, but I just kill everything!

Fiona :)
Fiona
Registered

Postby PurpleLuv » March 21st, 2012, 3:05 pm

I treat myself to some flowers every two weeks, always have done since I left home at 17, used to be a bunch of longforum lily now sometimes an extra special bunch at M&S always has been & will be my little treat to myself just in the same way some ladies get there hair or nails done, my pick upper takes the shape of some flowers on the table :D

I never buy mixed bunches, always prefer to choose a few bunches of what I like & make my own arrangements with them.

Me to though Fiona, I can grow almost anything in the garden or greenhouse but manage to kill every house plant I dare glance at :oops: :lol:
PurpleLuv
Global Moderator

Return to The Kitchen Garden