My Tommys

Out by the shed, near the chicken coop. The place everyone hangs out to discuss the various edibles they raise in their gardens/allotments.

My Tommys

Postby Zosherooney » May 31st, 2012, 6:16 pm

Well, it is the 31st May and my most advanced tommy is the size of a large marrowfat pea ! The weather has brought them on wonderfully ! Admittedly they are in the greenhouse, but still good for this time of year. The cherry type are doing well as well. Should be eating them within a month at this rate.
Zosherooney
Registered

Re: My Tommys

Postby suffolk » May 31st, 2012, 6:37 pm

Sounds good Zosh :D

I'll be growing mine outside - they're in the cold frame with the roof up at the moment - I'm growing Marmande and some bush cherry toms Red Alert. What variety are yours?
“One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.”
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby Suelle » May 31st, 2012, 7:10 pm

I bought some plants last weekend, as those grown from seed in the cold frame were only a couple of inches high, and already the leaves on one of the plants are curling up - is this the first sign of mildew?
Suelle
Global Moderator

Postby Zosherooney » May 31st, 2012, 9:57 pm

Suff, I have not idea of the variety except that they are cherry sort from seeds that went to waste when I collected from the market. Others in the GH are Moneymaker.
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby suffolk » June 1st, 2012, 4:29 am

Well, at least you know they're cherry toms Zosh :D
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » June 1st, 2012, 5:51 am

I planted two cherry plum tomato plants last weekend and the next day they had been completely eaten by snails and slugs so you wouldn't have known they'd been there! I have grown tomatoes every year for around 35 years and never had the plants eaten by slugs before! Maybe that variety was attractive to them.

I ran out to Homebase and bought a pack of 3 assorted plants and have planted out one per day - no slugs yet!
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Hope » June 1st, 2012, 8:41 am

Suelle - lower leaves will naturally curl up and eventually turn yellow. It's just what the plants do, so no neeed to worry. I think if higher leaves do it it can be a sign they are too hot and/or dry, though.

I don't have anywhere to sow tomatoes - nowhere warm enough and light enough before May. I only bought mine last weekend. They need potting up though as some are already in flower.
Hope
Registered

Postby Mamta » June 1st, 2012, 9:04 am

Mine have just got a few flowers. Mind you, they are all outdoors now. I am not expecting anything much this year. Soil is too dry!
Mamta
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » June 6th, 2012, 3:02 pm

And now my marrowfat sized tommy is the size of a cherry tomato ! Not bad for a week ! I might be eating them in a months time at this rate. Yum Yum !

It must be this wonderful earth we are blessed with and my collected rainwater !
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby karadekoolaid » June 20th, 2012, 11:51 pm

My tiny-weeny wild cherry tomatoes are still going strong,3 months after I planted them. I'm picking about a Kg per week, which are duly being pickled, unless someone decides they want a nice fresh salad. Very happy I put up a tall trellis so they could ramble all over the place!
" Bite off more than you can chew, then chew like Hell!"
karadekoolaid
Registered

Postby suffolk » June 21st, 2012, 5:23 am

My tomato plants are hardly growing at all - it's been too cold for them :( We've just had two warmer days and they and the sweetcorn look a little more lively, but I've a feeling this is not going to be a great outdoor tomato summer :roll:
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » June 21st, 2012, 6:08 am

suffolk wrote:My tomato plants are hardly growing at all - it's been too cold for them :(

Same here - and my runner beans aren't running up the poles very fast either. My blueberries are abundant but need sun to ripen them - but the gooseberries are abundant and beautiful!
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Lokelani » June 21st, 2012, 9:52 am

I just noticed baby toms on a couple of my outdoor ones in baskets & a couple in the greenhouse. Others are looking most unhappy, I think it was the cold spell we had.

I'm in West Sussex but bought a few baby tomato & chilli plants when I was in Cornwall in Feb to try & get an earlier start, as this worked really well for me last year.

This year it was so cold the flowers just fell off the early tomatoes anyway & the ones I grew from seed have caught up! The chillis will hopefully be much earlier though as they weren't flowering yet in the cold spell.

I never get over the excitement of seeing the first tomato forming. :D
Lokelani
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » June 21st, 2012, 3:24 pm

I have just been in the Greenhouse and shaken every tommy plant to help fertilization. I try and do it once a day when I water them, we are up to the 3/4 'bract' of flowers. Most of the lower ones are getting to be a good size now.

Courgettes are planted in a recycling container also in the GH as it is so cold outside. I suspect I will be playing 'matchmaker' again this year ! ! ;) ;) ;)
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » July 13th, 2012, 6:37 pm

First Moneymaker is now totally ripe ! Hurrah ! Others are not too far beind. Courgettes are again wilting without being "helped along".
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby Mamta » July 13th, 2012, 8:40 pm

One courgette so far, haven't had chance to cook it, may be Monday. Tomatoes looking miserable, Kohl rabi leave have been eaten off, lettuce is coming along, earlier one bolted while I was on holiday. Spinach also needs using up. Not a good year for vegetables here :-(
Mamta
Registered

Postby suffolk » July 14th, 2012, 4:56 am

Our courgettes are great! Don't know why - maybe variety (Parador - yellow), and the fact that they're in a new raised bed with half and half topsoil and organic farmyard manure, but they're in shade a large part of the morning and after about 3.30pm, but they're fruiting like crazy and we're eating loads of lovely courgettes, all about 6 inches long with the flowers still attached. :chops:

We've had some of our Cos lettuces which were lovely, but they've just been discovered by snails so I'm on the warpath - I put out slug/snail traps last night with no result, but there are hedgehog poos on the lawn nearby so maybe Hefty got them :D

Runner beans are flowering well, no beans yet. Haven't seen a lot of pollinating insects about, but something must be pollinating the courgettes :D

Carrots are still very small. Beetroot are growing but very slow. Sweetcorn is growing well but whether we'll get a crop will depend a lot on the weather, although I did choose a variety said to be good in short damp British summers. :D

Potatoes (we grew just a row and a half of salad pots) are lovely, we're digging one plant a weekend and that's enough for the two of us for a lovely meal. :chops:

The tomatoes - well :roll: I've put all the smaller bush cherry tomatoes (outdoor types) back into the little greenhouse and have the doors wedged open.

The Marmandes are in big pots on the terrace - they're growing well and have their first flowers budding, but I feel so sorry for them - they must want better weather than this :hug:

Oh, and I found a stripey snail yesterday evening eating my pots of little basil plants that I potted on at the weekend - he got thrown over next door's garage and onto the road near the bus stop :twisted:
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby Mamta » July 14th, 2012, 5:40 am

Well done you! :tu:
Mamta
Registered

Postby ianinfrance » July 14th, 2012, 9:51 am

We've got brilliant trusses on our plants (probably 5 or 6 per plant), but with the lack of sun here they are really dawdling over ripening. Sigh. Mind you - may be we ought to take the shading off the greenhouse/tunnel. In a normal year, by mid June it often reaches 50C in there if we don't shade it and I prefer to decide myself whether to eat my tomatoes cooked or not.
--
All the best
Ian
http://www.souvigne.com
The Earth is degenerating today. Bribery and corruption abound. Children no longer obey their parents, every man wants to write a book, and it is evident that the end of the world is fast approaching.
ianinfrance
Global Moderator

Postby Zosherooney » July 16th, 2012, 7:44 am

Ha Ha ! :lol: :lol: So have them firstly poached then those you miss can be sundried !!!!! ;) ;) ;)
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby Lokelani » July 16th, 2012, 10:50 am

My toms are still marble sized & not ripening or growing. No new ones on either, same with the chillis.

Courgettes are getting tiny then falling off or rotting here.

I got some sugar snap peas going really early & they're great. An average of about 5 peas a week isn't really going very far though! :lol:

Runners & dwarf climbing beans I've just re-planted the third lot, these I germinated on the windowsill in tissue, then potted in the greenhouse, grew on a bit then out at the w/e. I am now trying to keep the millions of slugs & snails off them! The first batches were just rotting in their pots, indoors & in the greenhouse!

Lettuce in trays in the greenhouse are barely moving from seedlings. Pea shoots half rotted but half germinated & are lovely.

Potatoes were good considering, we harvested them all out of their large containers yesterday. Garlic's very small & goodness knows how it's going to dry, it's in my greenhouse on the lower shelving, but the windows are running with condensation because it's so cold & damp, the auto vent is hardly ever opening.

All the annual flowers I grew aren't even flowering yet! It's an odd year, but at least we're not having to spend hours watering all the pots each evening!
Lokelani
Registered

Return to The Kitchen Garden