Allotment Squatters!

Out by the shed, near the chicken coop. The place everyone hangs out to discuss the various edibles they raise in their gardens/allotments.

Allotment Squatters!

Postby Peaches_von_Purr » June 2nd, 2012, 4:46 pm

Well, actually, they got there first...

I took on an allotment about a month ago and there's a LOT of work to do on it! It's fantastic, and has a few fruit trees, bushes rhubarb etc, but it's also seriously overgrown. I was clearing back a load of nettles today to get to a bush that I've been advised to cut right back to give me more growing space. However, I discoved that there's some sort of burrow / sett under the bush! It looks to me to be too big for rabbits - my guess is that it belongs to foxes. I have noticed little trails across the grass, so it could well be active, but there's no sign of freshly dug soil or poo.

What it the best thing to do? Should I leave the bush in tact so they can carry on in peace? I would really like to lay claim to that corner for my shed, but I don't want to hurt anything or get into a fight with something that has sharp teeth and claws!!

Any advice would be much appreicated!

J x
Peaches_von_Purr
Registered

Re: Allotment Squatters!

Postby Luca » June 2nd, 2012, 4:48 pm

I would definitely encourage whatever it is to move house! I have foxes continually going through my garden and digging things up and they create a lot of mess. Good luck!
Luca
Global Moderator

Postby Peaches_von_Purr » June 2nd, 2012, 5:00 pm

But how to enourage? Steak over the fence into next door's allotment... ;)
Peaches_von_Purr
Registered

Postby 4dogsagain » June 2nd, 2012, 5:25 pm

In Ireland I was told that the one way to get rid of foxes was for a man to pee in the garden. Apparently they do not like smell of male human urine.
If you do not have a man who would do the job on site, as it were, perhaps a bottle could be used?
Don't stop doing things because you are growing old; you only grow old if you stop doing things.
4dogsagain
Registered

Postby Luca » June 2nd, 2012, 5:28 pm

Most garden centres sell deterrents now........... I have no idea if they work well but soak an old tee shirt or rag with the deterrent and stick it in the burrow...

Go inside, open a bottle of red and grill the steak....
Luca
Global Moderator

Postby ianinfrance » June 2nd, 2012, 5:58 pm

Evict the b*gger. That's the only thing to do with squatter of that type.
--
All the best
Ian
http://www.souvigne.com
The Earth is degenerating today. Bribery and corruption abound. Children no longer obey their parents, every man wants to write a book, and it is evident that the end of the world is fast approaching.
ianinfrance
Global Moderator

Postby Peaches_von_Purr » June 2nd, 2012, 8:22 pm

4dogsagain wrote:In Ireland I was told that the one way to get rid of foxes was for a man to pee in the garden. Apparently they do not like smell of male human urine.
If you do not have a man who would do the job on site, as it were, perhaps a bottle could be used?

Damn it! There was me being an independent woman, and now it turns out I don't have frightening enough wee!

Time to find out if my male friends are true friends... :)
Peaches_von_Purr
Registered

Postby mum-at-the-oven » June 2nd, 2012, 9:32 pm

My aunt and uncle living in East London opposite an egg distribution yard once dug up a boxed dozen eggs in their back garden that had obviously been buried by a fox. In fact they had so many foxes in the area that they would often wander into the kitchen if the door had been left open.
mum-at-the-oven
Registered

Postby spotteddick » June 2nd, 2012, 9:41 pm

Old country trick!

First dig a hole, put some peas in the bottom, when the fox comes for a pea, kick it in the hole :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

But there ways to get rid of foxes, some are relatively quick and others are quick and gory. The first is poisoning, but you have to have a license to do this. The other is get a Jack Russel, it doesnt have to be your own borrow a one, it is a scrap that the Jack Russel always wins. (there is of course always the shot gun, but some people get a bit upset shooting in Urban areas)

Cheers

Dick
Cheers

Dick

Just because you're wandering doesn't mean you're lost!!

http://spotteddick-itsallinthegame.blogspot.com/
spotteddick
Registered

Return to The Kitchen Garden