EARWIGS!

Out by the shed, near the chicken coop. The place everyone hangs out to discuss the various edibles they raise in their gardens/allotments.

EARWIGS!

Postby sarebear1982 » July 24th, 2012, 10:43 am

We've been over run by earwigs this year there are hundreds of the little buggers, hiding in the lettuce's, guessing there in the peas, broc and colli too.

How the flip can I get rid of them? Any ideas greatly appreciated!

Thanks
"I live more in 5 minutes riding and racing a bike like this than most people can ever live in a lifetime" Marco Simoncelli, 2010

#58 RIP 1987 - 2011
sarebear1982
Registered

Re: EARWIGS!

Postby suffolk » July 25th, 2012, 5:27 am

Stuff some flowerpots with hay/straw and put them upside down on the ground or on tomato canes or similar - they'll go and hide in there, then you can remove them in the morning - traditionally you put them on the bonfire - or you could seal them in a placci bag and put them in the bin? or give them to someone with chickens?

Rolls of damp newspaper laid about in the garden also work as they look for cool damp places to hide during the day.

But don't forget that earwigs eat all sorts of things, including the eggs of the pests that eat your plants :D
“One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.”
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby sarebear1982 » July 25th, 2012, 7:52 am

Thanks Suffs,

Honestly i would mind a few to aid the pest control but you can't move anything in the garden without getting swarmed by them.

I'll set up some traps and drop them off with some friends chooks.
"I live more in 5 minutes riding and racing a bike like this than most people can ever live in a lifetime" Marco Simoncelli, 2010

#58 RIP 1987 - 2011
sarebear1982
Registered

Postby karadekoolaid » August 13th, 2012, 12:18 am

What you need to do is to soak some sand in Captain Morgan's rum, and place it around the earwig nests. The earwigs will pick up the little tiny grains and suck them (because they're sweet), then get so drunk they'll start throwing the grains at each other. Considering their size, the grains will be like huge rocks, so they'll knock each other out or even cause death. Those that don't die by stoning will be so drunk, they¿ll never survive.
Problem solved.

Only kidding :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
" Bite off more than you can chew, then chew like Hell!"
karadekoolaid
Registered

Return to The Kitchen Garden