Disappointing crop

Out by the shed, near the chicken coop. The place everyone hangs out to discuss the various edibles they raise in their gardens/allotments.

Disappointing crop

Postby Zosherooney » August 19th, 2012, 6:40 am

Yesterday we dug our tatos up, the tops were dead and dried out. The earth was sodden and the crop of desire was below average with only a few good sized toatos. Then we dug up the pink fir apples, very small and disappointing amount, especially compared to last year.

We did cook and eat the smallest of some of the pink fir apples, they were delicious but the crop certainly won't see us over winter.

How is everyone elses tato crop doing in this dire summer ???
Zosherooney
Registered

Re: Disappointing crop

Postby suffolk » August 19th, 2012, 7:23 am

I only grew a couple of rows of Annabelle salad potatoes this year (first year of a new veg patch) and they did quite well - but the soil here is quite free-draining and they were in the sunniest bit of the garden - I think we were very fortunate.

For anyone wanting to grow salad potatoes next year, I would recommend Annabelle, they have a lovely yellow flesh and a delicious buttery flavour http://www.marshalls-seeds.co.uk/annabe ... d3632.html
“One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.”
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby ianinfrance » August 19th, 2012, 8:46 am

Hi, we tried some "ratte", which are the French equivalent of the pink fir apple. Huge top hamper, very small crop. We're eating them in potato salad with things like frankfurters to get us through the hot weather. We were firmly told we didn't plant them early enough. "January under glass". Back to Charlotte next year.
--
All the best
Ian
http://www.souvigne.com
The Earth is degenerating today. Bribery and corruption abound. Children no longer obey their parents, every man wants to write a book, and it is evident that the end of the world is fast approaching.
ianinfrance
Global Moderator

Postby FoodMary » August 19th, 2012, 12:57 pm

We don't have a veggie garden this year but every other year we have grown Pink Fir Apple. Crops have varied from year to year. Last year was meagre but the year before was bountiful - we were eating them for weeks.

Mary J
I even dream about food!
FoodMary
Registered

Postby Mamta » August 19th, 2012, 5:34 pm

I had 3 pots of potatoes, none in the ground this year. I dug them out last week, not a great crop, had about 2 kilos in all. I had grown them from some potatoes I liked from the supermarket, can't remember their name! I wonder how long before I forget my name DOH! So what is new, some days I have to look for where I have put my memory :( !!
Last edited by Mamta on August 19th, 2012, 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mamta
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » August 19th, 2012, 9:15 pm

Oh Mamta! I know that feeling !!!!!
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby PurpleLuv » August 20th, 2012, 6:54 am

http://www.flickr.com/photos/77590796@N05/7821623686

Picked these last night, don't normally grow big spuds as get them from the farm but some how don't think these are baby new potatoes :lol:
PurpleLuv
Global Moderator

Postby Mamta » August 20th, 2012, 7:54 am

Overweight baby new pots :lol: !
Mamta
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » August 21st, 2012, 10:13 am

Look good enough to eat Purps !!!!
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby Lokelani » August 21st, 2012, 12:45 pm

I had some charlotte seed potatoes in huge containers, they were okay but some marble sized ones & the flavour & texture wasn't great.

The best crop came from the Anyas. I'd chitted supermarket ones, just as a trial in big tubs. Again there were some marble sized ones, but lots of good ones too & lovely flavour & texture.

The plants also produced what looked like bunches of tiny dark green tomatoes on the foliage, which I looked up & found were inedible. I've never seen that before. It's been a funny old year weather wise I guess.

My garlic crop was disappointing too, tiny bulbs compared to last year.
Lokelani
Registered

Postby PurpleLuv » August 21st, 2012, 1:54 pm

The giant new potatoes :roll: made lovely jacket spuds last night, just added cheese, so buttery already :D

Drowning in tomato, just harvested another tray full 8-)
PurpleLuv
Global Moderator

Postby Mamta » August 21st, 2012, 2:21 pm

Today, I picked a nice yellow courgette, 3 green ones, about 250 gm beans, lettuce, a few carrots, amaranth leaves and Lambs-quarter leaves. Not bad at all. I have enough for both meals for us for today and some to pass on to a neighbour.
My garlic bulbs were self seeded from a couple left from before. They are tiny, but full of flavour.
Mamta
Registered

Postby FoodMary » August 21st, 2012, 2:42 pm

My garlic too is disappointingly small - I grew it in one of my raised beds along with some Cos and French beans. Beans were a disaster, cos are beautiful, far too much for me, might take some to the fete on Sat.

The garlic might be small but the smell so overpoweringly strong have had to hang them in the shed.

Mary J
Last edited by FoodMary on August 21st, 2012, 2:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I even dream about food!
FoodMary
Registered

Postby Mamta » August 21st, 2012, 5:13 pm

Mary, cos is very nice simply stir-fried with garlic and a little Soya sauce. I often add it to my soups too, finely chopped.
Mamta
Registered

Postby Mamta » August 22nd, 2012, 2:41 pm

Todays pickings, not huge, but enough for the two of us. I made a mixed vegetable, chunky soup for lunch and will have some to cook with my fish and my OH's steak tonight. Crop is really poor this time!
Home grown! 600.jpg

Forgot, there is some Lamb's lettuce below the yellow courgette!
Last edited by Mamta on August 22nd, 2012, 2:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Mamta
Registered

Postby suffolk » August 22nd, 2012, 8:25 pm

That looks lovely Mamta :D

I was wondering what the Lambsquarter is so I googled and discovered it's what I know as Fat Hen, the weed that I hoed out of the sugar beet fields when I was a child helping on the farm :D
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » August 22nd, 2012, 9:20 pm

Looks good enought to eat Mamta !!!!! :D
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby Mamta » August 23rd, 2012, 5:57 am

Yes, in Europe it is considered a weed, because it grows wild in all sorts of places. In India too it often grows wild in wheat and beet fields, but is also cultivated. You can buy it in vegetable markets during winter season. It is called Bathua in northern India. I am surprised that you pulled it out suffolk, because I though it helped to keep the beet and wheat plants free of disease, kind of a symbiotic plant. It is quite a nutritious plant too, rich in iron. I have a few recipes for it on my website, my favourite being Bathua paratha and raita. If you google for Bathua, you will find quite a few recipes.
Because I never used to have enough of it growing wild in my garden, I now let a couple of plants to seed and sprinkle the seeds in autumn. It then grows automatically the following year. Those of you who live at/near farms,next time you see it in a filed, pick some and give it a try.
Amaranth seeds I bought from somewhere, probably somewhere like this;http://www.evergreenseeds.com/edamyintsach.html. Both red and green leaf varieties are good. My dad used to grow one with huge, spinach like leaves, which I haven't seen anywhere here. If anyone knows where to find it, I will be interested. I can buy huge seed packets from Indian grocers, because they are very tasty made into all sorts of things, including seeds. If you pop them, like pop-corn, they taste lovely as a cereal. It is a highly nutritious seed. I may try sowing some of those actually, why had I not thought of that before DOH! It is known as Chowli/chowlli/chauli in Hindi and you may find many recipes if you google for it.
Last edited by Mamta on August 23rd, 2012, 6:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mamta
Registered

Postby suffolk » August 23rd, 2012, 6:10 am

We hoed everything out Mamta, except the beet, as other plants foul the harvesting machines.
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby Suelle » August 23rd, 2012, 6:13 am

I'm finding that everything is producing badly this year - it's just as well we are not relying on the home grown produce and can afford to buy, to top up!

The French bean plants are tiny and only have a few beans on each plant. The runner beans give about 6 portions a week, whereas we are usually eating them everyday by now. Only one courgette plant survived to give fruit. The Butternut Squash fruit don't seem to be setting properly. Of three minarette apple trees, only one had more than 4 fruit come to maturity.
Suelle
Global Moderator

Postby suffolk » August 23rd, 2012, 6:17 am

Oh dear :oops: , we're swamped with runner beans and courgettes, the Cos lettuce have been wonderful, beetroot great, carrots so so, potatoes better than expected, sweetcorn looks really promising and the squashes are beginning to flower, a bit later than expected but I'm living in hope of good things as the plants look really healthy now after a very slow start.

And the tomatoes, while slow to start are now full of fruit :D
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » August 23rd, 2012, 5:40 pm

My tommys are great, used loads in Kushari sauce for BH Monday, Loads on the market today so they helped as well. One french bean that the slugs "dug up" is struggling having been potted and molly coddled. 3 carrots ! Leeks are good and the shallots I will have to fight the slugs for aswell.

Roll on next summer !!!!!

Zosh
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby icelesley » September 6th, 2012, 2:26 pm

My crops haven't been as good as last year either. 4 tubs of potatoes just gave enough for 4 meals, the carrots didn't do as well either, slugs got at the bell peppers and ate 2 of the 4, the chillies are ok, tomatoes are showing a fair few fruits but nowhere near as many as last year but the cabbages have done well. A friend down south said they are the same very poor crop this year, it must be due to all the exceptional dry weather we had early on.
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway. Image ImageImage
icelesley
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » September 6th, 2012, 9:12 pm

On a positive note.............My leeks are doing well. Only got 4 carrotts. Rhodedendrons are having a 2nd flower, as are the wisteria and the roses. Maybe an Indian summer coming ?
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby suffolk » September 7th, 2012, 5:08 am

I think a lot of the problems are down to the low temperatures and poor light levels - nothing really started to grow properly until we got some brighter and warmer weather in August, and even that's not been consistent enough to ripen my outdoor tomatoes - I have a good crop but haven't got a single ripe one yet. The butternut squash plants have really grown well over the past four weeks, after a very slow start - but have been slow to flower - we're getting flowers now so are hoping for an Indian summer to get some fruit from them.
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby jodie » September 8th, 2012, 1:42 pm

We have had a disasterous crop of tomatoes and potatoes in allotment the potatoes were full of worms and tomatoes just rotted my husband has cleared out all now the only thing there are the damsons and they are plentiful so damson gin will be in the making soon and and some offf the allotment holders will do jam too
jodie
Registered

Return to The Kitchen Garden