Socca

For those time when the Vegetarians and Vegans want to get away from the more carnivorous types.

Socca

Postby chools » August 5th, 2010, 1:43 pm

I made one of these for my lunch. I suspect my oven wasn't hot enough to get the finish as in the photo but the end result tasted quite nice. A quick and easy dish to make (I used half the amounts given in the recipe)

http://chezpim.typepad.com/blogs/2007/04/socca_nice.html

I used gram flour, know there is some debate as to whether or not this is in fact chick pea flour? Can only say it certainly smelt of chick peas whilst cooking

I have made a dish like this before but added cumin and a long slow cook in a cooler oven, end result is very good, sort of like poppadoms

KrC
chools

Re: Socca

Postby PurpleLuv » August 5th, 2010, 2:21 pm

Sounds good chools, one to try :hi5: :flip:
PurpleLuv
Global Moderator

Postby tezza » August 6th, 2010, 11:57 am

They look yummy. I have always meant to get round to making these, based on a recipe for the Italian version farinata that I stumbled across a few years ago.

What did you serve with them?
tezza
Registered

Postby frenchcheesequeen » August 6th, 2010, 8:27 pm

I adore Socca. I make them in a non stick baking tin with a drizzle of oil in there and sprinkle Maldon salt on the top before putting in the oven. I bake until the outside half inch or so is brown and crispy.
frenchcheesequeen
Registered

Postby Jaybird » August 10th, 2010, 9:37 pm

Thanks for that link Chools, I like recipes made with flour other than wheat sometimes. I'll have a go at making those.
I always thought that gram flour was chick pea flour. Last year I went to some curry cooking classes and the teacher described gram flour as being made from chick peas.
Jaybird
Registered

Postby Hope » August 11th, 2010, 8:19 am

chools wrote:know there is some debate as to whether or not this is in fact chick pea flour?

Really? never heard that before! Do tell more!

They do look nice, but I can't eat chick peas/gram flour. (which is very annoying being as I also can't eat gluten)
Hope
Registered

Postby chools » August 23rd, 2010, 7:41 pm

chools wrote:I used gram flour, know there is some debate as to whether or not this is in fact chick pea flour?

My research continues, but from what I have read to date chick pea flour is made from white chick peas whereas Indian gram flour is made from smaller brown coloured chick peas

I cannot tell them apart either in colour or taste but maybe one of the ones I have bought is not the genuine article? My socca certainly smelt of chickpeas whilst cooking and I was using gram flour

KrC
chools

Postby scullion » May 5th, 2018, 10:37 am

i was sent a photo from 'the vegan' magazine of a 'moroccan chickpea omelette' , yesterday. it occurred to me that this would be the place to share it as it seemed a variation of socca.
the friend who sent it said it was amazing so i think we may have some for dinner tonight.
the recipe in the link is the same as the recipe in 'the vegan'.
scullion
Registered

Postby StokeySue » May 5th, 2018, 12:46 pm

There are a lot of pancakes / omelettes around made with chick pea flour, I should try one as I'm not massively keen on socca as eaten on the Cote d'Azur, which to my taste is just another of thise regional stodges that people rave about for reasons I do not understand. The more pancake like ones pissibly less likeveating mud
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby MariaKK » May 5th, 2018, 6:14 pm

Jaybird wrote:I always thought that gram flour was chick pea flour. Last year I went to some curry cooking classes and the teacher described gram flour as being made from chick peas.

Gram flour is made with roast chick peas and so is better suited to Indian dishes.It's not quite the same as the raw dry chick pea flour used in the Mediterranean, North Africa and across the pond in the River Plate basin. If you want to make Socca, farinata, or fainá as it's called in Liguria and in Uruguay and Argentina it's best to use the unroasted flour.

Growing up in Buenos Aires in the 1950s pizzas tended to be based on the Sicilian Sfincione - i.e. thick but light airy dough rather than the very thin Neapolitan version. Though the standard topping was a minimal amount of tomato sauce, cheese and the odd black olive - not the crunchy bread crumb crust of a real Sfincione. In Buenos Aires Italian workers from the port or construction workers often met up in a pizzeria for a slab of pizza topped with a slice of faináa glass of wine, and a game of cards before heading home. that's how many people still eat them and I imagine that in the present financial crisis in Argentina it's still in vogue!!. Yes. it's stodgy but it was designed to keep the wolf from the door. Both the pizza and the fainá are usually baked in vast metal pans and cut into squares. The individual,Neapolitan ones are mostly served in restaurants, though one can also get large round take away pizzas to share.

If just having a fainá - when it's almost done sprinkle generously with salt and herbs of choice and return to oven. It's not bad - in small portions- as part of a tapas type meal.

In Uruguay there's also the "fainá sandwich" - pour about a third of the batter into a a metal pan and bake till semi cooked. Remove - put on a layer of ham and cheese pour over the rest of the batter and return to oven. Not traditional but I sometimes make one with a layer of tomatoes or roast red peppers and some melti cheese. Great for feeding hollow legged teenagers!
MariaKK
Registered

Postby karadekoolaid » May 6th, 2018, 11:54 pm

The difference between gram ( Besan) flour and chickpea flour is basically down to the "chickpea" itself. If you look for chickpeas, you´ll surely find the irregular shaped rounded peas we´re accustomed to. If you look for Indian chickpeas ( Chana Dal), you´ll find something slightly different.
Since I´ve never tasted a socca, however, I couldn´t tell you the difference in flavour.
" Bite off more than you can chew, then chew like Hell!"
karadekoolaid
Registered

Return to The Veggie Place