What have you cooked veggie today?

For those time when the Vegetarians and Vegans want to get away from the more carnivorous types.

Re: What have you cooked veggie today?

Postby Catherine » January 23rd, 2016, 11:57 pm

During the week I did the kids a kind of cheese fondue - well kind of in that they had a bowl each of quite thick hot cheese sauce with cooked kale, tender stem broccoli, baby new potatoes, baby corn and raw mushrooms to dip in. They absolutely loved it. Warm chocolate brownies with ice cream for Pud.
Catherine
Registered

Postby Mamta » January 24th, 2016, 7:29 am

That sounds brilliant Catherine, introducing them to foreign foods early :). I bet they felt quite grown up!
The other day I noticed that on one of the rare occasions my daughter gave her 9 month old a ready-made food pouche, it was Jamaican curry of some sort and he lapped it up :).
Such a nice dinner tonight. Second week in a row of a themed meal of lots of different dishes.

Aren't they best dinners, a lot of different tastes on a plate? I do that often, can't bring myself to throw away leftovers!
I cook something vegetarian everyday for my self/us, but forget to put it here. I do usually post them here, if anyone is interested in Indian meals.
A couple of days ago, I made Cauliflower paratha and Sweet parathas with Jaggery and green cardamom filling.

Jaggery and cardamom Paratha
1,.,.,.,.,..jpg
Mamta
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » January 24th, 2016, 9:49 am

We made your spicy carrot parathas on friday, I was glad I halved your ingredients and only made 8 parathas, we still have 4 left for further indian food that is lurking in the fridge. The flavour was really good. :chef: I was rolling and Mr. Z was filling and flipping. We had quite a production line going ! :D
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby Mamta » January 24th, 2016, 12:26 pm

I was rolling and Mr. Z was filling and flipping. We had quite a production line going ! :D

That is the way to do it :D . Parathas I find quite easy by myself, in fact I cook on two pans side by side. But when I makepoories or Kachauries (stuffed poories), I get my OH to fry them as I roll them, because they cook rather fast.
Mamta
Registered

Postby karadekoolaid » January 27th, 2016, 9:53 am

A while ago,Mamta suggested making a rice dish with aubergines, called Vaangi Baat.
I had an aubergine-and-a-half in the fridge, so decided to give it a go.
Verdict? DELICIOUS!
I shall definitely be making this again. I served it with Lobia - curried black-eyed beans - and a couple of potato Boonda.

Vaangi bhat.jpg
Vaangi Baat - basmati rice with aubergines and spices
" Bite off more than you can chew, then chew like Hell!"
karadekoolaid
Registered

Postby Mamta » January 27th, 2016, 11:48 am

Thanks for letting me know, it is a friend's mum's recipe. She lives in Chinnai (Madras). I will let her know Clive :)
Mamta
Registered

Postby Kacey » February 4th, 2016, 11:12 am

Made this for dinner last night
http://www.lovefood.com/guide/recipes/2 ... rry-recipe

Left out the Chinese leaf as I didn't have any nor any useful substitute. Made a very lovely different curry. Need to use this book more often.
Kacey
Registered

Postby Mamta » February 4th, 2016, 5:05 pm

Looks lovely :tu:
Mamta
Registered

Postby karadekoolaid » February 6th, 2016, 10:33 am

That looks interesting, Kacey! I imagine it`ll be sweet-ish,which works beautifully with the spices.
karadekoolaid
Registered

Postby Seatallan » February 6th, 2016, 10:43 am

Blimey- all the 'C's! :D
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby Mamta » February 7th, 2016, 5:50 pm

Today I made split mung bean pancakes, easy and tasty.
Today's recipe pictures here
a9.jpg
Mamta
Registered

Postby Seatallan » February 7th, 2016, 6:02 pm

:hungry: :chops: :chops:
Seatallan
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » February 7th, 2016, 10:47 pm

I made a sweet potato and green bean Sri Lankan curry yesterday.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby Mamta » February 8th, 2016, 2:56 pm

I have some sweet potatoes waiting to be eaten. I will probably just slice in half and roast them.
Mamta
Registered

Postby Kacey » February 8th, 2016, 6:55 pm

Pasta tonight with a coriander and green chilli pesto and some steamed broccoli.
Kacey
Registered

Postby smitch » April 1st, 2016, 7:35 pm

I've just made Ottoleghi's crunchy mushroom and broccoli pappardelle from 'Plenty'
http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2007/apr/14/foodanddrink.shopping2

I made it with soya cream as I'm trying to cut down on dairy and added some spinach as I accidentally ordered a massive bag from Ocado and I hate food waste. It is really nice, a definite keeper :tu:
smitch
Registered

Postby Mamta » April 2nd, 2016, 6:05 am

I accidentally ordered a massive bag from Ocado and I hate food waste.

Spinach freezes very well. Just wilt it in a microwave steamer, cool it and pack it in a bag. I freeze from the garden during the summer and when I have bought it and know that I wont be able to use it quickly.
Mamta
Registered

Postby smitch » April 2nd, 2016, 8:25 am

Mamta wrote:
I accidentally ordered a massive bag from Ocado and I hate food waste.

Spinach freezes very well. Just wilt it in a microwave steamer, cool it and pack it in a bag. I freeze from the garden during the summer and when I have bought it and know that I wont be able to use it quickly.

Thanks for the tip, I'll definitely try it in future. Unfortunately my freezer is way too full and I don't have room at the moment :oops:
smitch
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » April 4th, 2016, 9:35 am

I made fattoush yesterday.
Last edited by Herbidacious on April 4th, 2016, 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby Mamta » April 4th, 2016, 10:55 am

I made a black eyed bean curry yesterday, the quick version, for some friends that requested it. Plus Alu Sem Potato and green beans bhaji. Served with tandoori roti
Mamta
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » April 17th, 2016, 8:20 pm

Pan fried smoked butternut squash gnocchi with a little spicy tomato sauce, smoked mozzarella with fresh basil and parmesan. I served it 'deconstructed' in/on a soup plate so that it could be mixed together by the eater... or not.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby Mamta » April 18th, 2016, 6:22 am

When you buy a water melon, what do you do with it's skin? It is delicious cooked. Chinese use it in soups. Indians make it into all sorts of dishes; stir fried type of bhajies, add it to meat dishes, soups and so on. I often cook it like this, after my mother in-laws recipe. You can make it more spicy, as you like. I cooked it a couple of days ago and served it with parathas.
1 Melon skin bhaji 6.jpg
Mamta
Registered

Postby Seatallan » April 18th, 2016, 7:17 am

Wow, Mamta, I had no idea you could use watermelon skins like that! I shall definitely be giving it a go. It sounds wonderful... :chops: Would it work for squash/pumpkin skin as well do you think?
Seatallan
Registered

Postby Mamta » April 18th, 2016, 8:58 am

Peobably it will Seatllan. Bengalies cook a lot of things like this, including pumpkin/marrow/bottle gourd/radish, beetroot leaves, flowers and so on. I love turnip skin and root vegetable dish, when I can get hold of them. It is only available at Indian grocers, supermarket throw away their leaves! You can look for a few recipe ideas on my website, if you like. Or look on a Bengali cookery site.
Edited:
I love turnip skin and root vegetable dish

I meant "I love turnip leaves and root vegetable Bhaji"
Last edited by Mamta on April 18th, 2016, 2:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mamta
Registered

Postby Seatallan » April 18th, 2016, 1:32 pm

Thanks Mamta- such a brilliant idea to use the skins like that. :luv: :tu:
Seatallan
Registered

Postby Catherine » April 18th, 2016, 9:23 pm

Good idea Mamta. As for butternut skin, I don't often peel the skin anyway. I quite like it, especially when roasted
Catherine
Registered

Postby Mamta » April 18th, 2016, 10:03 pm

Not sure about butternut skin cooked on its own, i was talking about the tender leaves and perhaps tendrils too. I am not growing any vegetables this year, except for a couple of Indian cucumbers/ bottle gourd/squash etc, , so might finally experiment with them this year.
Mamta
Registered

Postby Catherine » April 19th, 2016, 12:11 am

Mamta wrote:Not sure about butternut skin cooked on its own

Oh no I didn't mean on its own. I meant as in wedges or similar with skin on
Catherine
Registered

Postby Mamta » April 19th, 2016, 5:49 am

That is good, I have cooked pumpkin bhaji and butternut squash bhaji like this. In India, you can buy green pumpkin when in season. It is much nicer in taste than the ripe pumpkin. If anyone grows their own, give it a try, skin and all :tu: .
Mamta
Registered

Postby Monnikka » May 31st, 2016, 1:16 pm

We had visitors at the weekend and for our main meal I made this:

http://www.deliciousmagazine.co.uk/reci ... uash-stew/

It was delicious. I didn't know what to serve with it but in the end cooked brown rice. No pud as none of us is particularly partial.
Monnikka
Registered

Postby tezza » June 1st, 2016, 6:27 am

Ooh yum! I think I could be tempted to try that with cauliflower rice....do you think that would work? Belly rumbling :D
tezza
Registered

Postby smitch » June 1st, 2016, 7:55 am

I made a delicious tofu scramble last night with onions, red peppers, courgette and spinach. I used a bit of pulped tomato, some garlic, turmeric for colour and some chipotle paste. I added coriander, avocado and a drop of soya yogurt on top at the end (couldn't find any non-dairy sour cream, the shop had sold out). I served it on top of some potatoes that I steamed in chunks then fried with a bit of chilli oil and some blue corn tortillas. Got loads of left overs too, which I'll enjoy for lunch :drool:
smitch
Registered

Postby Mamta » June 1st, 2016, 8:19 am

That does sound lush :hungry:
Made south Indian style aubergine bhaji with a little tamarind paste, was lovely with parathas.
Mamta
Registered

Postby Monnikka » June 1st, 2016, 1:18 pm

tezza wrote:Ooh yum! I think I could be tempted to try that with cauliflower rice....do you think that would work? Belly rumbling :D

I don't see why not, tezza. I did brown rice because most people expect something starchy, although OH and I have been mainly off carbs lately.
Monnikka
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » December 8th, 2016, 4:36 pm

I finally got round to making the rather unpleasantly named Pock-marked old woman's tofu recipe a couple of days ago. Very tasty although I couldn't seem to get the leeks to soften. I used some posh(ish) tofu without any chemistry lab ingredients to make it, which I thought was nicer than the usual sort. (May have been brainwashed by the advertising blurb though.) I have plans for (experimenting with) another block of it.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby StokeySue » December 8th, 2016, 4:53 pm

Which version of the Ma PO Tofu did you make Herbi?

I use Fuchsia Dumlop's version (form Revolutionary Chinese Cookbook) I made it on Monday) - the leek or spring onion is only added at the and Isi not really cooked, I never thought it was meant to soften :?

My version is veggie, as I use extra shitake instead of monce
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » December 10th, 2016, 8:32 pm

Fuchsia Dunlop's from Every Grain of Rice. Oh must go back to the recipe. I thought it said cook until tender. I shall use spring onions next time. I was aiming for tastiness - that Holy Grail of Tofu - rather than authenticity I admit.

In the pursuit of which I just adapted Vicky Bhogal's paneer munchies recipe to tofu.

Just tossed them in a mixture of cumin, turmeric, garam masala, then went off Indian-inspired piste a bit with smoked paprika and italian garlic seasoning. It should have had methi leaves in it but couldn't find any. Rather tasty. Served with some coriander and lemon sauce (bought).
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » December 10th, 2016, 8:34 pm

"Add the leek slices (if using) and nudge them into the sauce. When they are just tender, add a little of the flour and water mixture and stir gently as the liquid thickens." I guess she changed the recipe?
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby StokeySue » December 11th, 2016, 10:39 am

The recipes in the two books are a bit different, I've made both but prefer the revolutionary version, with less chilli TBH, I also assumed rightly or wrongly that the leeks should be the little pencil sized ones :?
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Hope » December 11th, 2016, 5:47 pm

I'm doing some very simple stuffed mushrooms today - two flat mushrooms, wiped, chopped up stalks and gills, softed with some crushed garlic. Added some quorn mince and cooked until defrosted. Then I mixed in an egg, some red pesto and chilli flakes, stuffed into the mushrooms and topped with grated veggie parmesan. Baked for 45 mins (or however long). Really quick to make, but really tasty.
Hope
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » December 29th, 2016, 9:40 pm

A did a cheese and onion pie in hot water crust pastry for Christmas day - mother's request. The filling was simply onion, Wensleydale cheese and chives. It was rather nice. Also made a comte cheese souffle on Christmas Eve. Not cooked since...!
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » February 12th, 2017, 9:07 pm

I have made a couple of quite nice, new-to-me things lately. One was a 'Mediterranean Bean Hot Pot' from the Vegetarian Living magazine. It contained roasted peppers, tomatoes, s-d tom paste, garlic, chilli and sweet paprika (but I subbed hot smoked paprika) orzo, and was served with some crumbled feta, oven toasted pita pieces and toasted sunflower seeds. I added onion too. If I make it again I might add olives, veggie sausage even, although it was filling enough as it was.

The second thing was a celeriac, mushroom and leek pie, with mustard, strong cheddar, cream cheese, garlic and thyme from the Waitrose magazine. I used Sainsbury's ttd all butter puff pastry on the top which was really rather good. I added some Maggi seasoning and some porcini powder to add extra flavour umph.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby Mamta » February 13th, 2017, 6:35 am

The celeriac, mushroom and leek pie sounds interesting. I have never cooked with celeriac, must remember to get some next shopping. I mostly use read-made pastry these days, saves time and effort ;).
I cook something vegetarian every day, but never remember to share :(. Cooked potato and peas curry served with freshly made, crisp, plain parathas. It is good :hungry:
Mamta
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » February 13th, 2017, 5:27 pm

In case you are interested, Mamta it's here: https://www.waitrose.com/content/waitrose/en/home/recipes/recipe_directory/c/celeriac-leek-andmushroompie.html

I wouldn't attempt to make puff pastry, although I do sometimes make flaky, for a treat. But this seemed much nicer than others I have bought... er, possibly because it was 'all butter'? ;)

The only other thing I have really used celeriac for is celeriac remoulade, which is a favourite. We always buy it when we go to France.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby Mamta » February 13th, 2017, 8:42 pm

Thanks Herbidacious.
I never make puff pastry any more, always shop bought one here now :tu:
Mamta
Registered

Postby karadekoolaid » February 15th, 2017, 1:57 am

I had some grilled veg ( courgettes, aubergines, fennel and onion) left over from Sunday, so I added a tomato and a chile or two and used the mixture with pasta. Yum - at least it filled a gap for lunch!
The friends who came for lunch on Sunday brought me a huge bag of beansprouts, some mangetouts, some asparagus and some pleurottes (setas in Spanish).
I wonder what I`m going to do with the first two? I seem to remember eating a delicious bhaji/pakora with beansprouts in the Burmese restaurant in the Edgeware Rd.
Any bright ideas for the mangetouts? I`ve already prepared a yummy salad with ketjap manis, ginger, chile and sesame oil. What next, I wonder?
karadekoolaid
Registered

Postby Mamta » February 15th, 2017, 7:44 am

Make some Bean sprout pakoras in a spicy besan batter, not too thick, which also has chopped green chillies. Drop each individual coated MT into hot ghee, not in a limp. Fry until crisp. Serve with a coriander/mint type of chutney.
Bean sprout Koftas, either as a snack or in a curry sauce.
Mange Tout and potato Bhaji
I have not made it, but a Sweet and Sour, Pickle Style Bhaji with Mange tout just popped into my head! You know the sort of thing, panchpooran tarka, spices, a little vinegar and jaggery. Even Mange tout and bean sprouts together might work. But keep them crisp, only lightly fried.
Mamta
Registered

Postby Mamta » February 15th, 2017, 4:24 pm

I have made pigeon pea dal tarka, broccoli and potato bhaji and naans today. I might make my nan pizza tomorrow, on leftover naans from today.
Mamta
Registered

Postby karadekoolaid » February 16th, 2017, 5:50 pm

Make some Bean sprout pakoras in a spicy besan batter, not too thick, which also has chopped green chillies. Drop each individual coated MT into hot ghee, not in a limp. Fry until crisp. Serve with a coriander/mint type of chutney.
Bean sprout Koftas, either as a snack or in a curry sauce.
Mange Tout and potato Bhaji
I have not made it, but a Sweet and Sour, Pickle Style Bhaji with Mange tout just popped into my head! You know the sort of thing, panchpooran tarka, spices, a little vinegar and jaggery. Even Mange tout and bean sprouts together might work. But keep them crisp, only lightly fried.

Thank you, Mamta. I`m doing the first option with the beansprouts right now. Hadn`t thought of the second - must give it a try ASAP!
karadekoolaid
Registered

Postby Mamta » February 16th, 2017, 6:14 pm

So how were the pakoras?
Last edited by Mamta on February 16th, 2017, 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mamta
Registered

PreviousNext

Return to The Veggie Place