What have you cooked veggie today?

For those time when the Vegetarians and Vegans want to get away from the more carnivorous types.

Re: What have you cooked veggie today?

Postby ianinfrance » April 6th, 2015, 3:41 pm

Monnikka wrote:As for quinoa, it's a bit 'something and nothing' IMO and really needs the addition of lots of flavour and the bulk of veggies.
I tend to agree with you. But the same could be said for rice and pasta. I make a Quinoa based soup, following something we were given in the middle of Lake Titicaca, that Jacquie and I find delicious. I have also recently developed a very simple way of cooking it as a sort of pilaff, as an accompaniment in place of potatoes or rice, which we also like very much and served last week with a tomato-ey stew - as it happens that one contained frankfurters, but I'm making one today, based on chickpeas and red pepper, with 50g of chorizo between two of us, and which could very easily be made vegetarian/vegan if leaving the sausage out and were I not on a fast day, could well have served it with Quinoa.
--
All the best
Ian
http://www.souvigne.com
The Earth is degenerating today. Bribery and corruption abound. Children no longer obey their parents, every man wants to write a book, and it is evident that the end of the world is fast approaching.
ianinfrance
Global Moderator

Postby Monnikka » April 6th, 2015, 5:40 pm

ianinfrance wrote:
Monnikka wrote:As for quinoa, it's a bit 'something and nothing' IMO and really needs the addition of lots of flavour and the bulk of veggies.
I tend to agree with you. But the same could be said for rice and pasta. I make a Quinoa based soup, following something we were given in the middle of Lake Titicaca, that Jacquie and I find delicious. I have also recently developed a very simple way of cooking it as a sort of pilaff, as an accompaniment in place of potatoes or rice, which we also like very much and served last week with a tomato-ey stew - as it happens that one contained frankfurters, but I'm making one today, based on chickpeas and red pepper, with 50g of chorizo between two of us, and which could very easily be made vegetarian/vegan if leaving the sausage out and were I not on a fast day, could well have served it with Quinoa.

Share the recipes?
Monnikka
Registered

Postby ianinfrance » April 6th, 2015, 11:51 pm

Monnikka wrote:Share the recipes?
Sure, The chickpea and chorizo stew is linked from my fivetwo page. The soup is linked from my main recipe page. In fact Jacquie & I modified the recipe slightly, and I see that I've not yet uploaded the modified version. I'll do so shortly. As for the quinoa pilaf recipe, something very odd has happened. I have a French version and the other day (like two or three days ago only) I translated it into English and as far as I was concerned, saved it in my database, but I can't find it again. Most odd.
Here it is, very roughly re-translated. I'll have it in my database again soon, and will probably incorporate it into my main online site.

Quinoa

1 cup quinoa; washed with loads of water
a drizzle of olive oil
2 cups stock
salt

Wash the quinoa in copious quantities of water (to be sure to remove the bitter saponins) and then fry it gently in the olive oil in a frying pan for 2 or 3 minutes. Then tip it into twice its volume of stock (original recipe said water) in a saucepan and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat to moderate and cok until all the water is absorbed (10 to 12 minutes). It is preferable to add the salt at the end of cooking. Works well as an accompaniment to dishes in sauce, meat or fish.

Recipe after a packet of "Alter Eco" Quinoa

Servings: 2

Recipe Type: side dish
Last edited by ianinfrance on April 7th, 2015, 12:35 am, edited 2 times in total.
--
All the best
Ian
The Earth is degenerating today. Bribery and corruption abound. Children no longer obey their parents, every man wants to write a book, and it is evident that the end of the world is fast approaching.
ianinfrance
Global Moderator

Postby Monnikka » April 7th, 2015, 6:53 am

Thanks Ian. Looking forward to those.
Monnikka
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » April 14th, 2015, 7:09 pm

In the last couple of days I have made roasted aubergines with a dressing made from mirin, ginger, yuzu juice, sesame oil, soy sauce and chilli. This was very nice and improved further on day two.
Roasted tomatoes with garlic slices and balsamic. As one would expect!
And tonight roast potatoes tossed in a mixture of grainy dijon, garlic, butter, olive oil, lemon juice and zest and (homegrown, very fragrant) dried oregano.
Now the potatoes sounded like they should have been a sure fire winner (Smitten Kitchen recipe) but they were very disappointing. After half the cooking time, the potatoes seemed to be drying out inside. I am hoping this is because I used the wrong type of potato. I had/have some violet ones that I bought in France and I thought this would be a good recipe insofar that they would be likely to retain their colour. Obviously they are not roasters! (?) At any rate, the 'dressing' is delicious. It would be pretty darn good smeared on a cheese sandwich or under cheese on toast. (It was thick enough to spread Is that the issue? I reduced the recipe by a third.) they are edible, but how to make them more so... current thinking is to dress them as for a cold salad.
Thse are the lovely poms before I (arguably) ruined them.
17148645021_6b76e5ab58_n.jpg
17148645021_6b76e5ab58_n.jpg (37.05 KiB) Viewed 8733 times

Oh I made some nigella seed pitta too :)
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby karadekoolaid » April 15th, 2015, 2:31 am

For the first time,possibly ever, I made a veggie Chile con Carne. red beans, onions, garlic, carrots, tomatoes,peppers, oregano, achiote seeds, crushed Guajillo peppers, hot habaneros,cinnamon and lots of love.
Served on top of two baked spuds with plenty of butter and a few slices of aged Cheddar.
" Bite off more than you can chew, then chew like Hell!"
karadekoolaid
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » April 15th, 2015, 7:27 am

That was my default lunch in the work canteen at the Virgin Megastores on Oxford St. c. 1990 :D
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby Monnikka » April 15th, 2015, 1:45 pm

Made the spinach, quinoa, cheesy bake on Monday and served half hot between us. The remainder we had today cold with salad :chops:
Monnikka
Registered

Postby Prettykiwicrazy » April 16th, 2015, 9:56 am

I love the look of those potatoes Herbi and your food sounds lovely. It is disappointing when. The type of potato used is wrong isn't it.
Prettykiwicrazy
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » April 16th, 2015, 4:27 pm

I will try the recipe again with a different type.

I am hoping that the potatoes will have rehydrated a little in the olive oil I doused them with before I put them in the fridge.(Was out last night so will try them tonight.) I am looking forward to trying the rest of the potatoes boiled/steamed.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » April 22nd, 2015, 10:01 am

On Sunday I made another batch of marinated feta, with urfa chilli, fennel and caraway seeds, lemon zest and dried oregano.
I boiled the rest of the purple potatoes and made a bake with cheese and sweet polish mustard and creme fraiche. The potatoes weren't much better boiled. Threw what didn't go into the bake away.

Last night, I made Rocky's black bean dip last night and ate some of it as part of some nachos. Very nice it was too!

Not cooking tonight, but I will try to make something a bit more dinner-like tomorrow.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » April 26th, 2015, 5:38 pm

A chestnut mushroom and thyme concoction with a bit of smoked paprika, and some verjuice and a dollop of redcurrant jelly...! I was rather vaguely following a suggestion for an alcohol substitute.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » May 4th, 2015, 7:14 pm

not cooked, but I made some tzatziki and some gazpacho. I didn't think the gazpacho had worked; I put some smoked paprika in it and thought I had put too much in, as it tasted bitter, but it seems to have 'matured'/mellowed nicely over the course of the afternoon.

I am now vampire proofed for the evening.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby Monnikka » May 25th, 2015, 1:26 pm

For lunch we had some awful veggie sausages made by OMFG :scared: The flavour was good (chestnut and mushroom) but the texture was terrible. All squishy with a hard plasticky skin over them.

Promised much but we threw half of them away. Stocked by H&B.
Monnikka
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » May 25th, 2015, 5:47 pm

OMFG?

I hate it when they have obvious skins on them.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby ianinfrance » May 25th, 2015, 9:37 pm

Oh My Flipping Goodness?
--
All the best
Ian
ianinfrance
Global Moderator

Postby Catherine » May 25th, 2015, 11:03 pm

ianinfrance wrote:Oh My Flipping Goodness?

Why did I have a different meaning in my head? :tutu:
Last edited by Catherine on May 25th, 2015, 11:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Catherine
Registered

Postby karadekoolaid » May 26th, 2015, 1:45 am

Outrageously Made by Forrest Gump?
karadekoolaid
Registered

Postby Monnikka » May 26th, 2015, 6:37 am

Monnikka
Registered

Postby ianinfrance » May 26th, 2015, 10:52 am

Catherine wrote:Why did I have a different meaning in my head?
Clearly you need brainwashing!! :lol: :lol:
--
All the best
Ian
ianinfrance
Global Moderator

Postby Herbidacious » May 27th, 2015, 6:52 pm

HFW's polpette di zucchini.

Critical assessment: the mixture was too wet (I added a little flour to the second a batch but still very very sloppy, but I wanted to sit down them so cooked anyway!) the garlic was a bit OTT ( I should have done as I was told and chopped rather than crushed?) I think I over-oiled the baking trays so a little greasy, and they stuck.

But thye tasted very good. The lemon zest really lifted them.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » May 27th, 2015, 6:56 pm

IMG_2209.JPG

IMG_2221.JPG

Not very ball-like, but moreish!

I used smoked mozzarella and romana courgettes, so they had a fair amount going for them!
Last edited by Herbidacious on May 27th, 2015, 6:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby Monnikka » June 6th, 2015, 12:47 pm

What we had for lunch today, ex Vegetarian Times:

http://www.vegetariantimes.com/recipe/avocado-spinach-panini

Very tasty!
Monnikka
Registered

Postby karadekoolaid » June 7th, 2015, 6:22 am

HFW's polpette di zucchini.

I tried them once.- :( In fact, I just dug out the recipe and my comments:

" Dull, tasteless, poor seasoning. 3/10"
But then, if a recipe doesnt specify " Add Salt", then there`s something wrong - unless it`s to do with anchovies, capers and soy sauce!
Plus I`m not a great fan of Hugh -with-the-grubby-mac! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
karadekoolaid
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » June 8th, 2015, 3:44 pm

Mine tasted ok to me. But then they had a load of garlic in them. The issue was with them holding shape. Maybe this is me,. In general I avoid making anything patty or ball shaped, as things always seem to fall apart.

I rarely pay any attention to seasoning. Salt and pepper goes it to taste whatever. Now I am trying to remember the very irritating way Jamie Oliver describes this in at least one the books that I have of his...
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby karadekoolaid » June 8th, 2015, 4:38 pm

Yes, the problem is serious with courgettes because of their high water content.
Saturday I made some sweet potato, courgette and onion bhajis ( or pakoras, not sure which!). First of all, I grated the ingredients then salted them and put them in a colander . THEN I squeezed them out and added the Besan flour. Worked fine!
karadekoolaid
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » June 21st, 2015, 12:46 pm

Constructed rather than cooked. It's been on my list of things to try for a few weeks. Avocado and cucumber salad. My first use of Sriracha sauce. I used a little red onion rather than a scallion.

http://smittenkitchen.com/blog/2015/04/obsessively-good-avocado-cucumber-salad/

I am having an enamel errodingly good lime soda with the other half of the lime's juice.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby karadekoolaid » June 21st, 2015, 12:51 pm

That looks exceedingly good, Herbie.
karadekoolaid
Registered

Postby ianinfrance » June 21st, 2015, 1:36 pm

Oh blimey, that reminded me to make some courgette & stilton fritters for lunch tomorrow!
--
All the best
Ian
ianinfrance
Global Moderator

Postby Monnikka » June 23rd, 2015, 6:27 pm

Monnikka
Registered

Postby karadekoolaid » June 23rd, 2015, 10:29 pm

Farfalle ( butterfly pasta) with grilled vegetables and fresh bocconcini. Hmmm - and just a touch of peperoncini to spice it up a bit!
karadekoolaid
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » August 10th, 2015, 8:32 pm

H F-W's sweet potato and peanut gratin. It was very nice but very rich. Better as a side dish I think. If I make it again I will use less/no oil. I put too much in while forgetting to scale the recipe down (not quite enough sweet potato.) Doh! But I used peanut butter that was made just from peanuts (and a bit of salt) - no added oil.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby EmWilk » August 10th, 2015, 11:20 pm

I made paneer shashlik tonight with an aubergine and green bean curry and rice.

I used savera paneer which I've never used before and it was so different to the usual type I buy... lovely stuff, will buy again.

Think it's a veggie day tomorrow too (for tea anyway)... griddled halloumi and veg with harissa mayo in fluffy naans :hungry:
EmWilk
Registered

Postby karadekoolaid » August 11th, 2015, 3:00 am

For lunch, an artichoke, with melted butter and lime juice, followed by Bazaar -style potatoes ( thank you,Madhur Jaffrey!) and Blue Mountain Stew ( thank you, Julie Sahni!) make with toovar dal, cabbage, tomatoes and sambhar powder.
karadekoolaid
Registered

Postby WWordsworth » August 20th, 2015, 8:11 am

More assembled than cooked, but we have lots of red cabbage in the garden so J made a slaw with it.
It included shredded red onion, capers and parsley and the dressing was made with elderberry vinegar (a gift from my canine friend) as we had no red wine vinegar.

Angela Hartnett's red cabbage slaw was the inspiration for it.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/venis ... bage_54866

It was delicious and we are having it again tonight with sausages and a baguette.
WWordsworth
Registered

Postby ianinfrance » August 20th, 2015, 10:33 am

I'm cooking a ratatouille for our guests for tomorrow. It's all my fault, because we made some for ourselves but gave them a taste. They fell upon it saying they'd never had one anything like as good. That really must be one of the ultimate veggie dishes.
--
All the best
Ian
ianinfrance
Global Moderator

Postby Seatallan » August 20th, 2015, 12:41 pm

Oh I agree Ian. I've not made one for ages and must remedy that. It's coming into classic ratatouille season isn't it? :chops:
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby ianinfrance » August 20th, 2015, 1:36 pm

Seatallan wrote:It's coming into classic ratatouille season isn't it?
Absolutely. Jacquie & I were chatting about that, on our way to collect Basil (our male kitten) from the vet. Because our guests had raved so much about their taste and then ordered some for tomorrow, I was wondering whether the reason it was good was because of the (Mastering the Art) recipe, which I have to say is the best by far I know, or the quality of the ingredients, naturally grown by local producers. Jacquie felt that it was primarily the recipe, though she did admit that she had made one using that recipe, in Canada for her mother, using imported industrially produced out of season vegetables, and that it was far less good.

I know I bang on about this, but with made right from the right ingredients, Ratatouille is so wonderful that I feel it's a shame to make it out of season with poor ingredients. I think on balance I prefer to treat it as I treat other seasonal produce (like asparagus, raspberries etc) and only eat it when it is at its best. Lets face it, later on in the year there are other things that come into season and are just as good in their own way. In the meantime, I'll do what I can to reduce the world aubergine glut single handed. We've not made melanzane alla parmigiana this year yet, and that too must be remedied.
--
All the best
Ian
ianinfrance
Global Moderator

Postby Herbidacious » August 20th, 2015, 3:33 pm

I agree with that Ian. Although I wonder if we can get non-glass house aubergines and peppers in the UK other than ones we have grown them ourselves. Will have to look into it.

Alas my pepper plant did not 'work' this year. It got overshadowed by the tomatoes it is next to I think. Mind you I haven't checked it for a while (It's down in the second bit of the garden on a self watering system.)
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby Catherine » August 20th, 2015, 5:34 pm

I agree with you Ian. I adore ratatouille, but a poorly made one with mediocre vegetables is a mean reflection of what is otherwise a vibrant fresh burst of flavours. I pretty much use the same method as you but with less oil. It can be such a versatile dish too. Great as is with rice, or just served with bread or garlic bread. As a jacket potato filling, or a side to fish or meat, especially lamb
Catherine
Registered

Postby Seatallan » August 20th, 2015, 5:53 pm

Oooh I want ratatouille right now! Ian, I shall try your recipe- it may be a bit of a faff but I can well image the results are worth it. I have some big Kilner jars that need feeding and I think that would be just the thing so I shall make a good big batch at some point in the next few weeks. :chops: :chops:
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby ianinfrance » August 20th, 2015, 11:09 pm

Herbidacious wrote:I wonder if we can get non-glass house aubergines and peppers in the UK
That's a reasonable concern, it seems to me. I'm not vehemently against ALL growing of vegetables in a greenhouse, given the UK climate. What I do feel is very sad is to buy vegetables which in truth are summer fruits at a time of year where they can only possibly have been produced using methods which don't really produce very good results. We're lucky here, in that these vegetable fruits are grown under glass, but in real soil, and just using the glass to help the sun along a bit and protect the plants from frost in spring. My reference is a family of smallholders from whom I buy as much I can. I know they grow as naturally as possible and they are meticulous over quality, without being silly over prices. So when they start selling aubergines, or tomatoes or courgettes, I know that I can get them without a worry. What you can do in the UK, I don't know. I don't trust supermarkets not to buy rubbish out of season. I guess I'd have to let provenance and price guide me. I'd not buy UK produced summer fruit/vegetables in May or June, because that's far too early. By now, however, by now it ought to be possible to get them. Price is quite a good guide too, because it goes down when these vegetables are in full season.
--
All the best
Ian
ianinfrance
Global Moderator

Postby Monnikka » September 22nd, 2015, 1:42 pm

Lovely on a cold, wet and windy day like today:

http://www.vegetariantimes.com/recipe/mexican-rice-soup/
Monnikka
Registered

Postby icelesley » September 23rd, 2015, 7:42 am

I made some butternut squash and ginger soup at the weekend, :chops: lovely, I have a stash in the freezer for cooler days when I need warming up.
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway. Image ImageImage
icelesley
Registered

Postby scullion » September 23rd, 2015, 6:33 pm

a double quantity of seitan sausages for my brother's freezer (cos he nags me every time i come up here).
scullion
Registered

Postby smitch » September 24th, 2015, 6:16 am

scullion wrote:a double quantity of seitan sausages for my brother's freezer (cos he nags me every time i come up here).

They look great! I've just bought some vital wheat gluten for the first time but been s bit scared to use it. Think I'll give these a go!
smitch
Registered

Postby scullion » September 24th, 2015, 8:17 am

they really are very good, and so easy to make.
i couldn't find any onion granules in the cupboard so i grated an onion into the wet mix. there were a few other flavourings he didn't have either so i adapted. i use marigold bullion in the place of the 'chicken seasoning', and add no extra salt.
they tasted just as good as usual.
scullion
Registered

Postby smitch » September 24th, 2015, 8:18 am

I did wonder about the chicken seasoning and had in the back of my mind I'd use Marigold. Good to know it works! Looking forward to trying them!
smitch
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » September 24th, 2015, 9:35 am

I've made veggie salami with gluten flour (hard to source except on line) and nutritional flakes amongst other things. V nice. Lost the recipe though, so glad you posted this one, scullion. I think 'mine' was similar although it didn't use chick pea flour. Also you boiled the sausages in mine, but not a million miles away from steaming them, and steaming less prone to escapes, I imagine.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby scullion » September 25th, 2015, 12:11 am

Herbidacious wrote:gluten flour (hard to source except on line)

when i first started using it i saw the price and thought it rather extortionate and even more so with postal charges so thought about who would use gluten in large quantities.i get mine from one of the local baker's at a far cheaper cost per kilo, - it's used as a flour improver. i'd suggest you try sourcing it from somewhere like that near you.
scullion
Registered

PreviousNext

Return to The Veggie Place