What have you cooked veggie today?

For those time when the Vegetarians and Vegans want to get away from the more carnivorous types.

What have you cooked veggie today?

Postby Monnikka » August 23rd, 2010, 1:37 pm

I had a 'fridge filled with leftovers and this is what I did:

2 large pasties filled with chilli beans with chopped seitan and olives

2 large pasties filled with a mixture of the two dishes we had yesterday plus half a jar of aubergine pesto:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1127&start=20 penultimate response

2 large pasties filled with the mixture above plus chopped chard and olives

I still have some cooked chard left but that's going into a curry tomorrow :D

So there's plenty in the freezer for rainy days.
Monnikka
Registered

Re: What have you cooked veggie today?

Postby chools » August 23rd, 2010, 6:46 pm

I take it you like pasties Monnikka :)

Breakfast: Fresh soft fruit

Lunch: vegetable soup (items from the garden - peas, broad beans, and onion)

Tea: Smoked tofu with garlic & ginger, vegetable rice, crispy oven cooked cabbage

KrC
chools

Postby 4dogsagain » August 23rd, 2010, 7:27 pm

Had a few leeks, a few mushrooms, a few baby marrows and a few tomatoes. Four to feed, so this is what I did:
Chopped the leeks and put in a pan with a little butter. Added chopped mushrooms and marrows. Peeled and deseeded tomatoes, added to pan. Stirred around and seasoned well, cooked until all tender. We had it with beef lasagne, and pretty good it was, too.
Don't stop doing things because you are growing old; you only grow old if you stop doing things.
4dogsagain
Registered

Postby BelgianEndive » August 23rd, 2010, 7:39 pm

I'm not a veggie but I do like veg dishes a lot! For lunch (we still had to go shopping, as not much left in the fridge) I had at my disposal: shallots, fresh herbs, 2 courgettes, two small tomatoes and pasta. So I made penne with the courgettes fried in the wok in evoo with fresh oregano, and shallots, and the 2 small tomatoes. Added some chopped coriander too and a small glug of dry white wine, s& p. OH who always proclaims loud & clear that he does not like courgettes, said he loved it and would have it any time. I did not say "I told you so"... :D
BelgianEndive
Registered

Postby karadekoolaid » August 24th, 2010, 12:55 am

I have to admit I haven't cooked ANYTHING veggie today, except a plate of chips. :oops: :oops: :oops:
however, I accompanied the chips with my Perfect Masoor Dal - the one I made last week! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Get's better every day!
" Bite off more than you can chew, then chew like Hell!"
karadekoolaid
Registered

Postby Monnikka » August 24th, 2010, 6:45 am

chools wrote:I take it you like pasties Monnikka :)

KrC

:lol: :P I haven't made pasties since son no.1 last came up from Dorset - they were supposed to be a change!
Monnikka
Registered

Postby Breadandwine » August 24th, 2010, 9:05 am

Hi Monnikka

I didn't cook anything, but my wife made me a spicy veg stew/sauce, which I had with pasta.

Today I'll turn it into a chilli non carne with some seitan and red kidney beans, which I'll have with rice.

Cheers, Paul
Breadmaking is an easy, everyday activity - not some difficult art form!

http://nobreadisanisland.blogspot.com/
Breadandwine
Registered

Postby jasmin3 » August 24th, 2010, 9:21 pm

Made a nice evening meal tonight.

Saute of onions, quorn chunks, celery, 1/2 a long red pepper, courgette, mushrooms, flavoured with tamari & served on top of mashed potato.

Simple but nice. :) Got some of the saute left to have with pasta for lunch tomorrow. :)
jasmin3
Registered

Postby Monnikka » August 25th, 2010, 7:01 am

PatsyFagan wrote:I'm not veggie, but I did have a veggie friend come to stay last week-end, so I catered for her.

On Saturday evening we had a curry with sweet potatoes, paneer, peas and spinach (Paneer home-made) (I think I got the recipe from someone on here, or on the other side), spicy dhal, poppadums and runner beans and tomatoes cooked with chilli, ginger and garlic

For Sunday lunch, we had Spiced red pepper dip (home-made), falafels and stuffed jalapeno peppers with home-made bread (using the whey from the paneer) and for supper it was Feta, broad bean and sun-dried tomato risotto cakes

So yesterday, while I didn't cook anything veggie, I did have plenty of left-overs ;)

I'm implressed! Can I come to dinner?

Yesterday I made a curry, similar to this:

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/4176 ... mato-curry

I changed the paneer for tofu, pan fried and popped into the oven to crisp while the rest was prepared, and I added a tablespoonful of tamarind paste.

Today I am using the rest of the block of tofu for a stir-fry with sliced water chestnuts, sugar snaps, broccoli and ginger, which will be different to my usual stir-fry.
Monnikka
Registered

Postby Hope » August 26th, 2010, 7:00 pm

Patsy - what are risotto cakes? They sound interesting!

breakfast: usual GF muesli

lunch: quinoa salad with hard boiled eggs, grated cheese, pesto, grated carrot, homegrown green beans, tomatoes and cucumber (I love this lunch!)

snacks: half a nectarine (shared with DS), 2 oat cakes with peanut butter. bag of crisps :oops:

dinner: GF pasta with tomato, carrot and homegrown courgette and bean sauce and tofu. followed by my lovely GF, sugar free carrot cake that DS and I made this afternoon.
Hope
Registered

Postby chools » August 26th, 2010, 7:26 pm

Lunch was left over cabbage and pea curry with ginger, garlic, and chilli ponganalus

Tea - I was late in so it was quickly put together, red lentil, onion, brown rice with spices cooked together, cauliflower pakoras, green salad, followed by a few fresh rasps from the garden
chools

Postby PatsyMFagan » August 26th, 2010, 9:55 pm

Hi Hope

The Risotto cakes came from my Good Housekeepng mag:

Make a risotto with onions; add some finely chopped brocolli and cooked, fresh broad beans that have had the skin removed. Allow to cool,then add crumbed feta cheese and chopped sun dried tomatoes. Form into small pattie and fry off in oil.

This is the gist of the recipe, but I can be more specific if you want me to. I'm typing this while in bed at the moment, but would have to go downstairs to hunt out the mag. ;)
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby Hope » August 27th, 2010, 8:35 am

Thanks Patsy. I can probably follow the gist recipe and muddle something through. Thanks!
Hope
Registered

Postby Monnikka » August 27th, 2010, 1:35 pm

Today I stuffed some large open cup mushrooms - one each, with a mixture of diced fried onion, peanut butter, crushed walnuts and fresh breadcrumbs, seasoned with s&p and nutmeg. These were baked and served with crumpets which I'd fried in olive oil, and wilted spinach.

A surprisingly filling and satisfying meal which I do quite regularly.
Monnikka
Registered

Postby Hope » August 27th, 2010, 3:20 pm

lunch: fried egg and tomato with sauteed potatoes. Lovely! but not to be done too often.

snacks: GF crackers and some rather lovely organic caphilly. Carrot cake

dinner will be: curry with sweet potatoes, carrots, courgettes, tomatoes and green beans, brown basmati rice, onion bhajis.
Hope
Registered

Postby Hope » August 28th, 2010, 5:50 pm

lunch: leftover rice from last night with pesto, hard boiled egg, grated cheese, green beans, tomatoes, cucumber

dinner: rissoto (oh, more rice!) with sweet potato, courgettes, green beans and tomatoes and tofu nuggets. Leftovers for lunch tomorrow (oh, more rice again!)
Hope
Registered

Postby chools » August 28th, 2010, 7:17 pm

I didn't, but OH cooked a very nice stir fry followed by a fresh fruit salad. We'd been given a tin of squirty soya cream which was surprisingly OK on the fruit salad, not sure I'd buy any though

KrC
chools

Postby Mamta » August 28th, 2010, 7:26 pm

Today, I cooked an Indian vegetarian meal (mixed chana and urad dal, potato and French bean bhaji -both from my garden, chapatties and natural yoghurt), followed by a very non-Indian dessert of plum and strawberry crumble with custard, all freshly made. I am feeling a bit overfull now!
Mamta
Registered

Postby Breadandwine » August 28th, 2010, 8:51 pm

Lunch was the final bit of the remains of the leftovers from the meal my wife cooked me on Monday.

I got 4 main meals out of it (we went out to dinner on Thursday night), plus several lunches/suppers, etc.

Tonight I had Chools' flour omelette (my variation) with Linda Mac's sausages, slices of seitan sausage, fried tomatoes and mushrooms plus oven chips.

Cheers, Paul

Breadandwine
Registered

Postby Foodycat » August 29th, 2010, 2:01 pm

Just made a delicious lunch: wholemeal spaghetti with fresh pesto (the basil bush needed a haircut), artichoke hearts and roasted cherry tomatoes.
Foodycat

Postby ianinfrance » August 29th, 2010, 2:04 pm

Just thought - though I make it because it's good, not because it's veggie. I made a ratatouille yesterday - and today I'm trying to make ginger preserved in syrup.
--
All the best
Ian
http://www.souvigne.com
The Earth is degenerating today. Bribery and corruption abound. Children no longer obey their parents, every man wants to write a book, and it is evident that the end of the world is fast approaching.
ianinfrance
Global Moderator

Postby Foodycat » August 29th, 2010, 2:06 pm

ianinfrance wrote:Just thought - though I make it because it's good, not because it's veggie. I made a ratatouille yesterday - and today I'm trying to make ginger preserved in syrup.

That was why I made my lunch too!
Foodycat

Postby Monnikka » August 29th, 2010, 2:08 pm

Yesterday I made a mushroom omelette and a handful of chips.

Today we had two of the pasties from the freezer which I'd made a few days ago and with it we had cauliflower cheese (cheese bought for the hedgehogs {must fatten them for the winter} and I nicked some) :D
Monnikka
Registered

Postby wildfruitbat » August 29th, 2010, 5:22 pm

Ooh, a very nice day today.
Breakfast, porridge with a dollop of cooked raspberries. (I was given a huge box, a bit squashy, and as we don't eat much jam I was forced to eat them like this. Shame. ;)

Lunch, Staffordshire oatcakes (a recent discovery, must try making my own) with home made guacamole. I think this might be what is known as "fusion cuisine"!

Cooking now, toad in the hole with roast potatoes, runner beans, chard, courgettes and carrots. And lashings of onion gravy.
And fruit salad (as ever!)

By the way, the Staffordshire oatcakes. I discovered while walking in the peaks, they seem VERY regional. How do others like them served? And does anyone have a recipe to make them?
wildfruitbat
Registered

Postby Hope » August 29th, 2010, 6:56 pm

what are staffordshire oatcakes?

breakfast: usual

lunch: leftover risotto from yesterday with kidney beans

snacks: carrot cake, GF cracker and cheese

dinner: veggie sausages, roasted homegrown charlottes (the last ones), carrots, sweetcorn and homegrown french and runner beans. Still feel stuffed after that nearly 2 hours later (very unlike me!) and I didn't even finish mine! (leftovers for lunch tomorrow again!)
Hope
Registered

Postby wildfruitbat » August 29th, 2010, 7:05 pm

Hope wrote:what are staffordshire oatcakes?

A sort of pancake, made with oats,about 8" across and rather grey and flabby. But totally delicious. Apparantly the traditional way to eat them is warmed and rolled around grated cheese and possibly bacon. I only discovered them recently at a pub in the Peaks, very welcome after a long walk. But I found them lurking in Sainsbury's "breakfast bakery goods " department. I wonder if you could eat them adapted a bit. Can you eat oats?

Edited to add.
Ok, I have dug the packet from the bin. The bought one "North Staffordshere " to be specific contain wheat flour, oats and baking powder. However I found a recipe in an old book for "Derbyshire oatcakes" that have only oatmeal, and are yeasted. Any good to you?
Last edited by wildfruitbat on August 29th, 2010, 7:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wildfruitbat
Registered

Postby Breadandwine » August 29th, 2010, 9:38 pm

Made Chelsea buns this morning to take to a 40 over match with several mates.

(As a matter of interest, they're vegan. :))

Came home at 7.46 (after Somerset thrashed Surrey - very satisfying!) and by 8.16 was sitting down eating my dinner!

Which was:

Lentils and rice with mushrooms and cabbage (a la Mamta!)

Boiled the kettle and put 100g each lentils and rice on to cook.

In another pan I fried some onion, a teaspoon of cumin seeds, a couple of tsps of my own curry powder plus a tsp of asafoetida.

To this I added several chopped mushrooms and some shredded cabbage.

After several minutes I added boiling water to this and let them cook until the veg were soft - meanwhile stirring the lentils.

Added stock powder, mushroom sauce, sprinkle of dried herbs, good squirt of tomato puree and a dessertspoon of pesto to the lentils and rice.

When the veg were cooked I added them to the lentils and simmered the dish for a little while, while I defrosted, sliced and olive oiled a wholemeal roll. (I use olive oil which has been frozen and kept in the fridge as a spread - it stays solid and acts just like marge.)

Lentils - my favourite fast food! :chops:

Cheers, Paul

Breadandwine
Registered

Postby wildfruitbat » August 29th, 2010, 9:43 pm

Paulthebread wrote: plus a tsp of asafoetida.

:terrified:
wildfruitbat
Registered

Postby Breadandwine » August 29th, 2010, 9:52 pm

Now you're showing off, WFB! :lol:

I absolutely love asafoetida - my wife is not so keen, so I have to have the fan on high and the back door open when I use it!

Breadandwine
Registered

Postby Jaybird » August 29th, 2010, 11:16 pm

Paul you must have worked up to having a whole teaspoon of asafoetida I think! I'm at the stage of adding barely a pinch and I can taste it - not really sure whether I like it as yet.

I'm trying to teach DS how to cook (he's quite keen). We've moved on from very basic stuff and vegetable preparation and he's recently been given Jamie Oliver's Ministry of Food. Tonight we made his Moroccan lamb with cous cous. The chickpea & fresh tomato etc mixture is made separately so I had that with fried tofu on top of mine + the cous cous. It tasted very good. We've also made vegetarian recipes and he wants to do more but he wants to make meat/fish ones as well. I have to allow about twice as long to get the meal done, but am really pleased he wants to learn.

For dessert we had strawberries in jelly (Just wholefoods strawberry jelly crystals) which I'd thrown together earlier.
Jaybird
Registered

Postby jasmin3 » August 29th, 2010, 11:49 pm

I haven't eaten properly for the last few days! :( , but tonight - with the freezing winds howling outside - I'm sure they came from Siberia! - I just fancied some comfort food.

So I made a big pan of mashed potato with brussel sprouts & corn on the cob, saute'd onions & quorn chunks, & roasted pepper slices on top. Yummy. :chops: And didn't finish it all, so have the rest for tomorrow some time. :)
jasmin3
Registered

Postby Hope » August 30th, 2010, 12:52 pm

WFB - I can eat small quantities of oats. I haven't tried pushing it to seeing how many I can eat though. I shall have to look up some recipes.

Paul - I've not even managed to find asafoetida in the shops. Must find a good indian grocers!

Jasmin - have you not been well? Why haven't you been eating? I hope you're ok.

Lunch: omlette with onions, potatoes, courgette, tomato and a bit of carrot cake (for pudding, not as part of the omlette!) very welcome it was after our walk this morning turned into a 4-hour hike!

dinner will be pasta with veg sauce. It's a leftover one out of the freezer, so I'm not really cooking it today only reheating!
Hope
Registered

Postby Breadandwine » August 30th, 2010, 1:03 pm

Paul you must have worked up to having a whole teaspoon of asafoetida I think! I'm at the stage of adding barely a pinch and I can taste it - not really sure whether I like it as yet.
You're right, I did.

I followed one of Mamta's recipes the first time I used it and added - I think - a pinch.

Then it was a quarter of a teaspoon, then a half and now a teaspoon.

But I made a big panful - I've only eaten about a third of the dish and I've got two thirds left in the pan, slowly maturing! :hungry: <drool>

Hope, I get mine in my local HFS. My daughter got some made by Schwartz - and it only contained 8% asafoetida! :shock:

I've just had some Fry's polony sliced and fried along with curried fried tomatoes for lunch - dinner will be the lentil dish with some curried wedges.

Breadandwine
Registered

Postby Hope » August 30th, 2010, 1:11 pm

Thanks Paul - my HFS is a H&B, which doesn't really sell anything that unusual!
Hope
Registered

Postby Jaybird » August 30th, 2010, 3:49 pm

I got my asafoetida from Booths (a chain of family owned supermarkets in the north of England). There are 3 separate 4 gram containers in a glass jar.

http://www.bartspices.com/html/category ... etida.html

I noticed in the description that it is sometimes referred to as 'devil's dung' :o

Jaybird
Registered

Postby 18kari » August 30th, 2010, 8:28 pm

hiya i had rice krispies this morning(skimmed milk, cant do full fat) peanut butter sandwich(on brown) for lunch before going to work, i had made a spiced veg soup for tonight, but ended up having cheese on toast, so endeth my day :D karen
who is now slowly getting there!
18kari
Registered

Postby jasmin3 » August 30th, 2010, 10:26 pm

I've managed to have 3 meals today, for the first time in a few days! :-D So I've had:

* breakfast: porridge with sugar (haven't been shopping yet so still no soya milk) & half a mug of coffee brewed yesterday
* lunch: remains of yesterday's tea
* tea: rice & red lentils cooked together, with saute of onions, garlic, ginger, 1/2 long red pepper, courgette from the garden, celery, chilli powder, tamari. It was ok - nothing to write home about. :-)

Hope wrote:Jasmin - have you not been well? Why haven't you been eating? I hope you're ok.

Thanks Hope - nice of you to think about me. :) No, I haven't been ill, but it's coming up to the end of the month, so I can't go shopping until later this coming week, maybe Fri when I've got my new money in & worked out how much to keep. I had a few unexpected expenses this month - couple of vet bills for my cat & extra petrol to get him there - & the only place I can save money from is my food money. He can't help being ill & hopefully he's better now, anyway. :) I discovered, a couple of weeks ago, that if I lie in bed till late morning, I can get away with having only 2 meals a day, rather than 3. Makes me feel very tired & low, but it saves food &, therefore, money. ;) Tomorrow, I'm getting up earlier to go hand-deliver a job application, so I thought I'd better eat more properly today, so that I have the necessary brain cells in play, in case I'm asked anything whilst I'm there! :lol:
Last edited by jasmin3 on August 30th, 2010, 10:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
jasmin3
Registered

Postby Monnikka » August 31st, 2010, 1:39 pm

Paulthebread wrote:Came home at 7.46 (after Somerset thrashed Surrey - very satisfying!) and by 8.16 was sitting down eating my dinner!

Are you going to the match on Thursday, Paul? I see the infamous team is at the Holiday Inn with the press encamped outside. We'll be down that way on Saturday, not Taunton though.

Today I did a very easy seitan sausage, chips and beans :D Now I have indigestion :roll:
Monnikka
Registered

Postby Breadandwine » August 31st, 2010, 11:13 pm

Hi Monnikka

Sorry about the indigestion!

I'd love to go to the cricket, but I'm working until 3 - and none of my mates are able to go.

Still, I might wander past the ground at 3.15 and see what's what!

Had some more lentils and rice for dinner, with oven chips!

And finished them off for supper. Such a tasty dish!

Cheers, Paul

Breadandwine
Registered

Postby jasmin3 » August 31st, 2010, 11:30 pm

No breakfast this morning. Decided to wear a fairly clingy woolen dress to drop off my application form & didn't want to look pregant with undigested food! :D So just had a mug of tea. It was worth it, though - got a phone call about an hour after I got home & was offered an interview on Monday. :D

Lunch was a couple of small jackets with mushroom pate & tea was GF pasta with tofu, onions, red pepper & tamari. Added the tamari during the cooking today & the tofu was much better - took up the flavour much better. :)
jasmin3
Registered

Postby Breadandwine » August 31st, 2010, 11:37 pm

Hey, congratulations, Jasmin!

Best wishes for your interview!

Hope you're making lots of pizzas (70p for a good-sized cheese and tomato pizza) and other bread products in your straitened circumstances.

Cheers, Paul

Breadandwine
Registered

Postby chools » September 1st, 2010, 7:19 am

I still have the salad leaves in the fridge to use, but we're at a concert tonight (OH going straight from work) so a request that I cook something that she could take for her lunch tomorrow, so... dal, broad bean & tomato poriyal, courgette pakoras and brown rice
chools

Postby Hope » September 1st, 2010, 7:52 am

Good luck with the interview Jasmin!
Hope
Registered

Postby Mamta » September 1st, 2010, 4:14 pm

Today, I have some friends coming for dinner. So apart from chicken curry and fish in spinach, I have cooked a mixed vegetable bhaji and a mixed dal, Urad (black gram) and Chana (Bengal gram or black chickpeas). I have made potato raita and a fresh salad. I will make some yellow chapatties later on and may be some boiled Basmati rice.
Mamta
Registered

Postby Monnikka » September 1st, 2010, 5:57 pm

Mamta, what was the dal which included shredded chard or cabbage? I know somewhere someone was talking about it but I can't find it!
Monnikka
Registered

Postby Breadandwine » September 1st, 2010, 8:41 pm

Made chools' lovely flour omelette - with the right ingredients, this time - and very nice it was too!

Filled the omelette with fried mushroom and tomato and had a small side order of curried wedges! :lol:

Breadandwine
Registered

Postby chools » September 1st, 2010, 8:49 pm

You answered my question, glad you liked it <phew :)>

I cooked a puy lentil, mushroom, and tempeh dish topped with mashed potato, with courgette fritters on the side
chools

Postby Mamta » September 1st, 2010, 8:53 pm

Not sure Monnikka, but it could have been Mung dal with skin, look at the one in the middle;
http://www.manjulaskitchen.com/blog/wp- ... ng_dal.jpg
Mung dal is often cooked with spinach or orther leafy saags, so may be someone makes it with cabbage too. I have made it with Brussles sprouts; http://www.mamtaskitchen.com/recipe_dis ... p?id=10518 , so why not cabbage!
Mamta
Registered

Postby jasmin3 » September 1st, 2010, 9:25 pm

I've eaten very well, today! Not sure why - just happened that way - but I now don't have any lunch prepared for college tomorrow because I ate it at tea! :lol:

Brekkie: porridge with sugar
Lunch: lentil soup (potatoes, red lentils, onions, celery, tamari)
Tea: rice with saute of tofu, onions, red pepper, celery & tamari

Thanks Paul & Hope. :)
Paul, I'm wheat-free, too, so, whilst I do eat a lot of GF pastry when I get round to making it, breads & pizzas are a bit more difficult & pricey for me. Lentils are my mainstay - I can always rely on lentils. :D I've been singing off in 'excitement land' today, though, & imagining what it will be like when I'm debt-free! Can't wait! Hope I get the job. :D
jasmin3
Registered

Postby Hope » September 2nd, 2010, 7:47 am

Jasmine - I make quite a simple pizza toast thing (not quite sure what to call it!) 2oz brown GF bread flour, 3oz white GF bread flour, 1/2tsp baking powder and a pinch of salt. Add enough water to form a stiff dough. Divide into 4 and spoon onto an oiled baking sheet and flatten the 4 blobs until about 1/2 cm thick, so you have 4 rounds of dough. Put under a hot grill until it starts to brown, then turn over and cook on the other side. Add your topping and return to the grill. It's quite a filling meal, so you can always make less (or have leftovers for lunch!) I used to put sliced smoked tofu on my pizza when I was dairy free, which was lovely. Now I usually have it with sliced homegrown tomatoes and courgettes and a few shredded basil leaves.

Yesterday I did
lunch: GF courgette and tomato quiche (actually it was already made and in the freezer, so I just reheated it) with sweet potato and carrot mash (bit too filling really!)
dinner: risotto with homegrown courgettes, green beans and tomatoes and tofu nuggets

today will be
lunch: leftover risotto
dinner: I'm making pizza for DH and DS and I'm going to have an adapted version of this: http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/7496 ... sto-crumbs
Hope
Registered

Next

Return to The Veggie Place