What have you cooked veggie today?

For those time when the Vegetarians and Vegans want to get away from the more carnivorous types.

Re: What have you cooked veggie today?

Postby scullion » September 25th, 2015, 12:13 am

oh yes, a dozen large-ish cheese and veg pastys.
scullion
Registered

Postby karadekoolaid » September 25th, 2015, 1:02 am

Today I grabbed some aubergines, made a babagannoush and some Imam Bayeldi and then wondered what to do with the courgettes. An old recipe book gave me a clue:

Slice the courgettes into coins then sautée in some olive oil until little brown spots appear. Add salt and pepper and a generous tsp of minced garlic. Stir for 30 seconds or so, then plate. rip some fresh basil over the top and then add a layer of freshly grated parmesan, pecorino or, in my case, provolone. Eat immediately.
Last edited by karadekoolaid on September 25th, 2015, 1:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
" Bite off more than you can chew, then chew like Hell!"
karadekoolaid
Registered

Postby smitch » September 25th, 2015, 5:45 am

scullion wrote:
Herbidacious wrote:gluten flour (hard to source except on line)

when i first started using it i saw the price and thought it rather extortionate and even more so with postal charges so thought about who would use gluten in large quantities.i get mine from one of the local baker's at a far cheaper cost per kilo, - it's used as a flour improver. i'd suggest you try sourcing it from somewhere like that near you.

I get mine from a vegetarian and vegan shop near my work in Manchester- Suma brand. It does seem to be popping up in more places so perhaps try an independent health food shop or veggie store?
smitch
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » September 25th, 2015, 2:34 pm

I went round half a dozen health food shops and they all led me to the gluten-free flour! Buying flour with extra gluten in it (so to speak) simply did not compute :)
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby smitch » September 25th, 2015, 3:05 pm

The place I buy it from has only just started stocking it. You can buy it from Amazon but not sure if other stockists would be cheaper:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Suma-Prepacks-Vital-Wheat-Gluten/dp/B0105RIB8U

Apparently Vx by Kings Cross station sell it, but I don't know how convenient that is for you!
smitch
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » September 26th, 2015, 6:26 pm

That is pretty convenient actually, Smitch. I work in Farringdon/Clerkenwell. Thanks very much!
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby Monnikka » September 27th, 2015, 5:34 pm

Herbidacious wrote:I went round half a dozen health food shops and they all led me to the gluten-free flour! Buying flour with extra gluten in it (so to speak) simply did not compute :)

I have found that none of the HFS seems to be aware of what Gluten IS :rolleyes: As for seitan......forget it!
Monnikka
Registered

Postby ianinfrance » September 28th, 2015, 7:45 pm

Well, we made a vegetarian lasagne dish today, Aubergine lasagne.

You slice and salt the aubergines, rinse and dry it and shallow fry in olive oil as usual. You make a tomato sauce with onion, garlic, tomatoes and herbs, and a cheese sauce (cheddar & parmesan or veggie alternatives). Then you layer up putting all the cheese sauce on top and bake in the oven.

I liked it very much indeed, though it needs tweaking. Firstly, the onions needed much more cooking than the 5 minutes the recipe said. Secondly, every layer of the lasagne needed to be separated, to prevent it being wodgy. Apart from that, wonderful.
--
All the best
Ian
http://www.souvigne.com
The Earth is degenerating today. Bribery and corruption abound. Children no longer obey their parents, every man wants to write a book, and it is evident that the end of the world is fast approaching.
ianinfrance
Global Moderator

Postby Herbidacious » September 28th, 2015, 9:26 pm

Sounds nice. I haven't made a lasagne for ages. It's one of those things which when I make it (not from a recipe) I always seem to make far too much. Enough for 6... I confess I sometimes cheat and make a 'lasagne' for one using a French tin or jar ( :o ) of confit d'aubergines or riste d'aubergines etc. and then creme fraiche instead of a bechamel, then cheese just on top. I suppose the only thing lasagne about it is the sheet of pasta!

I am at my mothers and managed to rustle up a cheesy potato bake for me tonight. She is on a sugar-only diet it would seem! She had egg custard which she had made, followed by a magnum :D mind you her throat and tummy were a bit sore after the endoscopy.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby Mamta » September 29th, 2015, 5:40 am

Ian, this sounds very much like an aubergine/courgette lasagne we had years ago in a camp in Namibia (I think) for the first time. The camp chef used to make it when supplies were running low and he had run out of meat. It was delicious. I made it a few times when we came back, to his recipe, but then forgot all about it!
Mamta
Registered

Postby ianinfrance » September 29th, 2015, 10:03 am

I've yet to incorporate my tweaks into the recipe in my database, but when I have - and tried it out, I'll put it up here, as I'll have made enough changes to call it "mine", I feel.
--
All the best
Ian
The Earth is degenerating today. Bribery and corruption abound. Children no longer obey their parents, every man wants to write a book, and it is evident that the end of the world is fast approaching.
ianinfrance
Global Moderator

Postby StokeySue » September 29th, 2015, 3:45 pm

ianinfrance wrote:Well, we made a vegetarian lasagne dish today, Aubergine lasagne.

You slice and salt the aubergines, rinse and dry it and shallow fry in olive oil as usual. You make a tomato sauce with onion, garlic, tomatoes and herbs, and a cheese sauce (cheddar & parmesan or veggie alternatives). Then you layer up putting all the cheese sauce on top and bake in the oven.

I liked it very much indeed, though it needs tweaking. Firstly, the onions needed much more cooking than the 5 minutes the recipe said. Secondly, every layer of the lasagne needed to be separated, to prevent it being wodgy. Apart from that, wonderful.

I make an aubergine lasagne that is essentially aubergine parmigiana with extra tomato sauce and pasta added

Really good (I am afraid I use cow milk mozzarella here, as quantity counts as well as quality)
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby ianinfrance » September 29th, 2015, 4:35 pm

Sounds quite similar to what we did, Sue, though in our recipe the tomato/aubergine was layered with the pasta and the cheese went on top. I love parmigiana too. What a good vegetable aubergine is, when treated right, isn't it.
--
All the best
Ian
ianinfrance
Global Moderator

Postby Herbidacious » September 30th, 2015, 7:01 pm

Roasted butternut squash with sage baked with fusilli, fromage fouetté, garlic, a little extra mature cheddar and some parmesan, with a herby crunchy breadcrumb topping.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby ianinfrance » September 30th, 2015, 7:59 pm

Leek and potato soup tonight to serve tomorrow. You can call it Potage Parmentier if you want to make it sound posh. Planning a mushroom and courgette lasagne for next week, probably.
--
All the best
Ian
ianinfrance
Global Moderator

Postby Herbidacious » October 3rd, 2015, 10:46 pm

pan fried portobello mushrooms with purple curly kale and quorn sausages; garlic, urfa chilli flakes, toast croutons, white wine vinegar, porcini powder and extra mature cheddar and scamorza melted on top (laid on and left to melt with lid on for a while.)
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby Catherine » October 3rd, 2015, 11:29 pm

Herbidacious wrote:pan fried portobello mushrooms with purple curly kale and quorn sausages; garlic, urfa chilli flakes, toast croutons, white wine vinegar, porcini powder and extra mature cheddar and scamorza melted on top (laid on and left to melt with lid on for a while.)

That sounds fab
Catherine
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » October 4th, 2015, 10:58 am

It was very nice actually :) OH had thirds! Usual problem with the kale being a bit on the chewy side, but not too much so.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » October 19th, 2015, 11:18 am

Last week I made a vegetarian goulash. I wasn't sure what to put in it or if it was even worth striving for something remotely authentic without meat, but in the end I used Quorn beef style strips. I think I would prefer it shall make it without pretend meat next time as I found the texture a bit off putting and I assume it contributed nothing to the flavour. I used a bit of caraway, as I feared I would end up with just a sort of veggie chilli.

Saturday I made the much reviled poutine. It was pleasant/tasty but nothing to rave about.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » October 21st, 2015, 6:38 pm

huevos rancheros, topped with extra mature cheddar and grilled until the cheese was bubbling and browning a little. I had it with grilled tortilla strips and creme fraiche with lime juice. The sauce was made with fresh tomatoes grilled until blackening and the skins peeled off easily (the recipe required a tin of flame roasted tomatoes) garlic, onion, lots of coriander, some luchito chilli lime paste and black beans.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » November 24th, 2015, 4:57 pm

On Sunday I cooked Nigella's cauliflower and cashew nut curry.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby scullion » November 24th, 2015, 11:07 pm

pumpkin chowder.
scullion
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » November 25th, 2015, 2:36 pm

What made it a chowder rather than a soup? Just curious... :)
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby Annie » December 12th, 2015, 9:01 am

Not today but at least this week...
Butternut samosas

I do an indian cooking class on a wednesday night and finding it a real adventure since becoming pescatarian.
In the class the others were all doing meat samosas but I made butternut squash ones. The teacher said they were the best she'd had in a long time and whenever we've had a buffet since then she has requested I make some (long story short ... I mix with this tutor in other settings). So inlight of this I've made roughly 100 of these in the last 10 days.
Thanks, Annie
Annie
Registered

Postby Mamta » December 13th, 2015, 4:03 pm

I cook vegetarian/pescatarian food every single day, but just never remember to post here. Yesterday, I made Besan Chillas (Bengal Gram Flour Pancakes) for an unexpected guest at lunch. We had a party in the evening, for which I had cooked the day before and already cleaned the kitchen out. I just didn't feel like making another cooked meal before that. These pancakes are really easy to make and good for an unplanned, quick meal. You can make a filling, if you like, but they are generally eaten as they are. You can also see them here
I do an indian cooking class on a wednesday night and finding it a real adventure since becoming pescatarian.
In the class the others were all doing meat samosas but I made butternut squash ones. The teacher said they were the best she'd had in a long time and whenever we've had a buffet since then she has requested I make some (long story short ... I mix with this tutor in other settings). So inlight of this I've made roughly 100 of these in the last 10 days.
Thanks, Annie

The best and most popular ones in India and amongst Indians I know here, are the vegetarian samosas, with a filling of potatoes or potatoes and peas, though people try various other fillings. Butternut squash ones sound quite interesting, I might try them at some point. Making 100, you must be an expert by now Annie :).
If anyone is interested in Indian vegetarian dishes, please let me know. I will try my best to post them here.
Mamta
Registered

Postby Mamta » December 27th, 2015, 6:53 pm

I made courgettes stuffed with Soya mince bolognaise the other day, but instead of making a sauce of my own, I just used a jar of ready made red pesto to some fried onions and courgette flesh, perked up with chilli flakes, a little extra tomato puree, salt, pepper and oregano, then filled the courgettes, topped it with cheese and oven cooked on 180 for 20-25 minutes. It was easy, quick and tasty.
1c10_edited-1.jpg
Mamta
Registered

Postby karadekoolaid » December 28th, 2015, 11:45 am

I finished up the last two roast potatoes yesterday. Mixed them with some lentils, some tomato and some spices and made a lentil curry.
I accompanied that with aubergines in a peanut sauce - yummy recipe from Anjum Anand!
karadekoolaid
Registered

Postby Hope » December 28th, 2015, 3:28 pm

Mamta they look lovely.

I finished up the leftovers for lunch today. Well actually I didn't as I couldn't face the last few mouthfuls. So sick of it now. Need some lighter food. Planning on doing a stirfry with tofu for dinner (and sprouts, although I'm a bit sick of them too now!)
Hope
Registered

Postby Catherine » December 28th, 2015, 9:45 pm

I actually don't think I could ever tire of sprouts. I love them......but a tofu casserole is delicious.

http://realfood.tesco.com/recipes/tofu- ... -stew.html

I like the above recipe and sprouts with that would be fab. I do add stock instead of water though and celery if I have any. I use chicken stock because I prefer it and am not vegetarian, but vegetable stock is fine
Catherine
Registered

Postby Mamta » December 29th, 2015, 6:22 am

Clive, your curry sounds good :). I haven't seen Anjum's book, but yes, aubergines do taste nice cooked with peanuts. Aubergine is a popular vegetable in south India. I have a south Indian friend's mother's recipe for making 'Vaangi Baat', rice with aubergines. Try it if you have a lot of aubergines going begging :).
Thank you hope, yes it was quite tasty, I will make it again, perhaps with other vegetables like aubergines.
I am one of the few people I know who loves sprouts. It is probably too late for you Hope, but this is worth making [quote=http://www.mamtaskitchen.com/recipe_display.php?id=13848]Aachari sprouts[/quote] or a soup with dal. Tandoori BSs are also nice.
Mamta
Registered

Postby Hope » December 29th, 2015, 7:19 am

Normally I love sprouts and did actually enjoy them in the stir fry. Never thought of doing tofu in a casserole! that's certainly one to try.
Hope
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » January 10th, 2016, 7:19 pm

Nigel Slater's cabbage slices roasted with lemon, garlic, olive oil and parmesan, served with a bay and onion infused white sauce with parmesan and smoked paprika
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby scullion » January 11th, 2016, 12:09 am

Herbidacious wrote:What made it a chowder rather than a soup? Just curious... :)

sorry, missed this ...

...the title of the recipe.

- the font of all rewritable knowledge that is wikipedia says it's a thick, creamy, fish or veg soup - with cream in.
so, although a thick veg soup, as it doesn't have cream in it's probably a misnomer!
scullion
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » January 11th, 2016, 8:45 am

Sounds nice anyway!
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » January 12th, 2016, 7:59 pm

I made a simple vegetable stew-like soup - onions, garlic, celery carrot, potato, tomatoes, red lentils, stock, a pinch of chilli. It was surprisingly tasty. Quite nutritious and cheap too, I think.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby Monnikka » January 15th, 2016, 2:14 pm

Herbidacious wrote:I made a simple vegetable stew-like soup - onions, garlic, celery carrot, potato, tomatoes, red lentils, stock, a pinch of chilli. It was surprisingly tasty. Quite nutritious and cheap too, I think.

I made something similar. Shredded chard, onions, celery, tomatoes, puy lentils, button mushrooms, stock, bunch of 'herbs for fish' (Tesco) :shock: chilli flakes. Very nice.

Edited to add: handful of pitted halved black olives stirred in before serving.
Last edited by Monnikka on January 16th, 2016, 2:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Monnikka
Registered

Postby karadekoolaid » January 15th, 2016, 4:52 pm

Just made a Veggie Lasagna.

Bottom layer; smoked aubergine with garlic. Second layer: flash-fried courgettes with basil leaves. Third layer: roasted peppers with smoked paprika. Plus a thin layer of bechamel in between each layer and a thick coating on top.
karadekoolaid
Registered

Postby Hope » January 16th, 2016, 2:40 pm

Clive, that sounds really lovely. I like the idea of different veg in each layer and I love all the flavours. How did you smoke the aubergines?
Hope
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » January 20th, 2016, 12:49 pm

Last night I made comfort food gratin of potato and kale, with Comté, Isigny crème fraîche, salt crystal butter and a little Dijon. There were some herbs, some garlic seasoning and lots of black pepper in there too. I think it would have been nice with some mushrooms added.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby Catherine » January 20th, 2016, 2:50 pm

Herbidacious wrote:Last night I made comfort food gratin of potato and kale, with Comté, Isigny crème fraîche, salt crystal butter and a little Dijon. There were some herbs, some garlic seasoning and lots of black pepper in there too. I think it would have been nice with some mushrooms added.

Sounds like a proper cuddle in the belly
Catherine
Registered

Postby Annie » January 20th, 2016, 3:20 pm

Mamta
I love your site even gave my daughter a link to it in her early student days and she loves it too.
Been trying out quite a few of your dishes in the last few months.

I love the way you explain things. Suits me perfectly. :kneel:
Thanks, Annie
Annie
Registered

Postby Annie » January 20th, 2016, 4:22 pm

Mamta
I love your site even gave my daughter a link to it in her early student days and she loves it too.

Thanks, Annie
Annie
Registered

Postby karadekoolaid » January 21st, 2016, 10:38 am

Three days without looking at recipes....
Hope; I use a cast iron grill pan, to which I add a handful of charcoal. When the charcoal starts burning, I put the aubergines in the pan, in a single layer, cover with foil and cook for about 10 - 15 minutes.
If you haven`t got charcoal, then onion skin works just fine.
karadekoolaid
Registered

Postby Hope » January 21st, 2016, 10:53 am

Interesting... Might have to leave that until the summer or I'll set the smoke alarms off! didn't realise you could use onion skins instead. might have to start saving those! Your food always sounds so lovely Clive!
Hope
Registered

Postby Catherine » January 21st, 2016, 11:16 pm

karadekoolaid wrote:If you haven`t got charcoal, then onion skin works just fine.

How interesting. Must try this
Catherine
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » January 23rd, 2016, 8:07 am

Planning a yam, aubergine satay style dish it is from the congocookbook.com that I found. It would seem that sweet potatoes can be known as yams but this is a real yam that we bought from Southall and it needs finishing up so will roast the other bit as they roast up really crispy and nice ! It will go well with the goat that will be slow cooked today as well.
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby Seatallan » January 23rd, 2016, 11:24 am

Ooh yes- what a lovely comination that sounds Zosh! :chops: :chops: :chops: :hungry:
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby Mamta » January 23rd, 2016, 12:46 pm

Mamta

Thank you for letting me know Annie. It is nice to know that it is helping someone to cook Indian food :)
Mamta
Last edited by Mamta on January 23rd, 2016, 9:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mamta
Registered

Postby Hope » January 23rd, 2016, 6:28 pm

Such a nice dinner tonight. Second week in a row of a themed meal of lots of different dishes. Last saturday it was greek. Today Italian. I made mushrooms stuffed with a little bit of veggie bolognase that was in the freezer, but not enough for even one portion with pasta, topped with cheese. Roasted red pepper, tomatoes and red onions in balsamic. tomato gnocchi (Out a packet, but very nice) with pesto. aubergine, floured, then dipped in egg and parmesan (veggie one) and fried. With watercress. Really tasty and surprisingly easy to cook.

Next week, I'm planning to do either Spanish or north african.
Hope
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » January 23rd, 2016, 7:26 pm

That sounds lovely, Hope. V good idea re the bolognese. I often seem to have an awkward amount of veggie quorn chilli left over when I make a batch.
Herbidacious
Registered

PreviousNext

Return to The Veggie Place