[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4758: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4759: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
Wildfood.info • View topic - What have you cooked veggie today?

What have you cooked veggie today?

For those time when the Vegetarians and Vegans want to get away from the more carnivorous types.

Re: What have you cooked veggie today?

Postby Catherine » October 4th, 2014, 2:16 pm

Catherine
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » October 5th, 2014, 3:35 pm

Unfortunately forgot to freeze the Tom sauce before I left on Friday. Not back till Tues. grr
“In the midst of winter, I found there was, within me, an invincible summer." Albert Camus
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby Seatallan » October 5th, 2014, 5:01 pm

It'll probably be fine if it is in the fridge. It's only four days when all is said & done.
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby karadekoolaid » October 6th, 2014, 11:35 am

Blue Mountain Stew ( Toovar dal, tomatoes, and cabbage) with potato and onion bhajis. Accompanied by brown rice which I tarted up with a few peas and fresh mushrooms.
" Bite off more than you can chew, then chew like Hell!"
karadekoolaid
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » October 12th, 2014, 6:58 pm

fregola sarda with courgette, toasted pine nuts and parmesan - a Clotilde Dusoulier recipe.

I used some Oliveology olive oil with with walnuts, purslane, fennel seeds, rosemary and oregano to 'dress' it.

I am also roasting another kilo of toms (almost the last of the crop) and a whole garlic head to make a sauce, which this time I will freeze! (Unless the freezer breaks down again.)

edit: if I make this again, would do with with roasted courgettes, I think.
Last edited by Herbidacious on October 12th, 2014, 7:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“In the midst of winter, I found there was, within me, an invincible summer." Albert Camus
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby Monnikka » October 13th, 2014, 7:36 am

This is going on my 'Worth considering for Christmas' list. Too spicy?

Monnikka
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » October 21st, 2014, 12:39 pm

I made another Clotilde recipe last night. Carrot and avocado salad

It was... ok. I am in danger of becoming disillusioned with Madame Dusoulier though. It needed quite a bit of rejigging I think. Less lemon for a start. Some fresh garlic would have been good, but then is that not the Gallic equivalent of putting ketchup on things? i.e. if you like garlic, almost anything tastes good with a fair whack of it.

I didn't actually grate the carrot, but spiralized it :)
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby Monnikka » October 30th, 2014, 2:11 pm

Timely recipe in the Vegetarian Times:

:chops:
Monnikka
Registered

Postby anneskitchen » November 5th, 2014, 9:20 pm

I forgot to post in here but made some veggie sausage rolls - made with a spicy mushroom, pepper, carrot and black eyed bean filling. Then egg glazed and smothered in poppyseeds. Were my first ever veggie attempt and there is not much I would want to change - full of flavour and they vanished fast!
Hello edible world!

http://www.anneskitchen1.blogspot.com

Every day is a gift..that's why they call it the present
anneskitchen
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » November 16th, 2014, 3:16 pm

Not exactly what's implied by veggie or cooking, but I have just made some crowdie cheese. Not sure what, if anything, to do with the whey.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby karadekoolaid » November 17th, 2014, 3:07 am

Use the whey to cook some rice.It`s delicious.
karadekoolaid
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » November 17th, 2014, 11:23 am

I'll try that next time. Thanks!
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » November 18th, 2014, 9:20 pm

ribollita. At last! It's been on my list of things to cook for a few years.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby ianinfrance » November 18th, 2014, 11:33 pm

When you try it tomorrow, do let me know how you find it. I adore it!
--
All the best
Ian

The Earth is degenerating today. Bribery and corruption abound. Children no longer obey their parents, every man wants to write a book, and it is evident that the end of the world is fast approaching.
ianinfrance
Global Moderator

Postby Herbidacious » November 19th, 2014, 9:12 am

I take it it improves with keeping! What do you put in yours, Ian? There seem to be a lot of different versions. I must admit that I was surprised that something based on carrot, celery, onion and garlic ie veg stock I suppose,and tomato could be so good.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby ianinfrance » November 19th, 2014, 10:05 am

--
All the best
Ian

The Earth is degenerating today. Bribery and corruption abound. Children no longer obey their parents, every man wants to write a book, and it is evident that the end of the world is fast approaching.
ianinfrance
Global Moderator

Postby Herbidacious » November 19th, 2014, 1:26 pm

I like the sound of adding fennel seeds and chili to it.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby ianinfrance » November 19th, 2014, 5:11 pm

Oddly enough they CAN be detected, or rather, missed if not there. You can't say to yourself "this has fennel" or "this is hot", just detect that it has "something special" which you can finally trace to those ingredients.
--
All the best
Ian

ianinfrance
Global Moderator

Postby Monnikka » November 20th, 2014, 7:52 am

I have made Ribolita for years only until recently didn't know it had a name. I have never added fennel or chili but it sounds delish and I will certainly be making it with those additions at the weekend.
Monnikka
Registered

Postby Mamta » November 25th, 2014, 11:49 am

Fresh turnips and trunip green are in season at present. I made a a couple of days ago, delicious with parathas or fresh chapatties!!
1 Turnip and turnip greens bhajibhaji 4. (8).jpg
This is a recipe for those of you who grow their own turnips and have access to fresh leaves.
Mamta
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » November 28th, 2014, 7:20 pm

Looks good Mamta, wish I could tolerate turnips, my tummy does not like them :(

Like the look of the ribollata, I may do a version, don't have black cabbage but will add some crinkley white cabbage. Hope it works.
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby anneskitchen » November 30th, 2014, 10:03 pm

I made sweet potato falafel tonight for my lunchbox tomorrow - far more success than a previous attempt that tasted good but drove me batty making! The trick seems to be chilling the mash in between - much easier to roll this time 8-) The mash already had smoked paprika in, leftover from another night, to which I added chia seeds and gram flour, placed the rolled balls on a baking liner on heavy tray, spritzed with garlic oil and baked for about 25 mins or so in hot oven. Nice crispy outside and soft innards :P :chops:
Hello edible world!

anneskitchen
Registered

Postby karadekoolaid » February 5th, 2015, 2:57 am

Veggie Burgers.
I had some red beans left over from another dish, a few hazelnuts,a couple of carrots to use up and some smoked cheese, so I made a batch which I then froze for future use.
Future use ended up being lunch!! :lol:
karadekoolaid
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » February 18th, 2015, 2:32 pm

I am not sure whether to admit to this, but well.... sometimes I crave junk food, and I find it hard to resist novelty, and they had some of those seasonings for meat that your put with the meat in a bag, and then roast... well surprise, surprise (not) this doesn't work with Quorn fillets!

So. Special offer. I have another two. I wonder if I can just mix the seasoning with water and use it to coat Quorn, or, just put it in a casserole type dish. Or just ditch it. They don't have anything very nasty in them.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby Monnikka » February 19th, 2015, 2:31 pm

Thai-style vegetables stir-fried with noodles and Quorn yesterday. Leftovers made into a frittata today. Yum!
Monnikka
Registered

Postby anneskitchen » February 19th, 2015, 8:44 pm

Hello edible world!

anneskitchen
Registered

Postby Mamta » February 20th, 2015, 7:29 am

Mamta
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » February 20th, 2015, 12:02 pm

Thanks, Mamta and Anne!

I just looked at the ingredients for the one I used. The only suspect additive (i.e. one I would not have in my cupboard) was Maltodextrin... But. And. Smoky bacon fat! Double sin! Will check the other when/if I used them.

The silly thing about this is that I am not a sausage/burger person generally at all, and wasn't when I ate meat, and I usually steer clear of them through inclination rather than principle. I have never has 'sticky smoky barbecue ribs' in my life!!!
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » February 20th, 2015, 12:55 pm

Veg curry to go with the other dishes for tomorrows Indian supper. It has tatos, carrots, cabbage, onions and raisins. Cook in stock or water add curry powder, coconut cream and wizz half and mix it altogether. Add seasoning.
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » March 11th, 2015, 11:20 am

Not so much cooked, as heated. Some time ago, I bought a tin of mock duck from the health food store. It had been sitting in the cupboard, daring me, (mocking me?!), instilling some trepidation at any rate, for a while. Last night I decided to take the bull by the horns, or the can by the can opener.

Hum. It was disturbingly meaty looking. This is clearly not a product being marketed at vegetarians who are such for animal welfare reasons. It even seemed to have a plucked bird skin effect on some pieces. I was quite grateful that it had a slight squeak to it (as in 'halloumi squeak') when one chewed it.

It tasted ok, but the whole meatiness aspect of it was off putting enough for me not to repeat the experiment. It makes me realize how unmeaty Quorn actually is. Thank goodness.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby scullion » March 11th, 2015, 1:10 pm

It's seitan or in other words gluten. There are plenty of recipes online for making your own with different flavours. The one that I usually make is for spicy Italian sausages. Very tasty.
scullion
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » March 11th, 2015, 3:36 pm

Yes I know. I have been known to make salami with wheat gluten too. I have nothing against seitan per se ( or Satan, as coeliacs like to call it).
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby Mamta » March 11th, 2015, 6:03 pm

I have made gluten at home a few times, it is not that hard to do.
PS I made Spicy chickpea curry ( Chana masala), potato an onion bhaji and kulcha bread today. We haven't eaten it yet. Kulcha is like soda bread, generally made without yeast.
Last edited by Mamta on March 11th, 2015, 6:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mamta
Registered

Postby Monnikka » March 11th, 2015, 6:46 pm

Monnikka
Registered

Postby Mamta » March 12th, 2015, 7:02 am

Mamta
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » March 12th, 2015, 2:47 pm

I used to do soya a lot; probably Quorn more than soya now. They don't seem to sell soya mince/chunks in the supermarkets anymore (? not in my Sainsbury's anyway.)

On balance I certainly prefer the mince forms of meat substitutes to the chunks of the stuff. Although I am partial to some brands of pretend bacon, provided it's not been crisped...
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby Mamta » March 12th, 2015, 7:53 pm

Soya chunks should be available in larger Indian supermarkets Herbidacious. They have to be soaked in hot water and washed several time to get rid of the Soya flavour, which is not very nice. Once you have done that, they are fine.
Mamta
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » March 24th, 2015, 6:34 pm

Tagliatelli with garlic, fennel seeds, coriander, lemon, toasted pine nuts, a pinch of urfa chilli and some marinated feta.
Last edited by Herbidacious on March 24th, 2015, 9:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » March 29th, 2015, 8:26 pm

fennel roasted in slightly smoked olive oil, fennel seeds and lemon juice and zest. Supposed to go with fried halloumi soaked for a few hours. This will apparently make it less squeaky. I shall try it tomorrow. The fennel was good.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby ianinfrance » March 29th, 2015, 9:33 pm

I don't suppose you would consider this as typically "veggie" but how about a Simnel cake? Nothing "naughty" in the ingredients and delicious results.
--
All the best
Ian

ianinfrance
Global Moderator

Postby scullion » March 30th, 2015, 12:12 am

definitely vegetarian - i bought the ingredients for one today.
scullion
Registered

Postby Monnikka » April 1st, 2015, 6:46 am

Found this but haven't tried it yet:

Monnikka
Registered

Postby smitch » April 1st, 2015, 9:04 am

That looks really good. Might try it for breakfast at the weekend :)
smitch
Registered

Postby ianinfrance » April 1st, 2015, 3:08 pm

We had some spinach stuffing left over!
--
All the best
Ian

ianinfrance
Global Moderator

Postby smitch » April 5th, 2015, 9:14 am

smitch
Registered

Postby Monnikka » April 5th, 2015, 1:37 pm

Monnikka
Registered

Postby Monnikka » April 5th, 2015, 5:39 pm

Something we enjoy:

Quinoa Spinach Bake

Print
Prep time
5 mins
Cook time
1 hour 10 mins
Total time
1 hour 15 mins

Gluten-Free and Vegetarian
Recipe type: Entree
Serves: 8
Ingredients

¼ cup sesame seeds
1 lb. fresh baby spinach
2 tsp. extra-virgin olive oil
1 shallot, diced
2 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
1 Tbsp. dried thyme
¼ tsp. chili powder
2 cups cooked quinoa (about 1 cup uncooked quinoa)
1 cup Greek plain yogurt
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
¾ tsp. sea salt
½ tsp. freshly ground white pepper

Instructions

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
Coat an 8 x 8-inch baking dish with cooking spray, then coat with sesame seeds.
Fill a large bowl with ice and water; set aside. Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add spinach; blanch until bright green, approximately 8-10 seconds. Transfer hot spinach to the ice bath to cool for 30 seconds, remove and drain water. Set aside spinach on a paper towel.
Heat olive oil in a medium skillet. Add shallot, garlic, thyme and chili powder; sauté until translucent, approximately 8-10 minutes. Remove from heat; transfer to a medium-sized bowl.
Add spinach, cooked quinoa, yogurt, eggs, sea salt and pepper to the onion mixture; mix well to combine. Transfer quinoa mixture into the prepared baking dish and place in the oven. Bake until set and golden brown, approximately 60 minutes.
Remove from oven. Slice, and serve warm or at room temperature.
Monnikka
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » April 5th, 2015, 10:04 pm

That sounds good, Monnikka. I haven't really done much (anything?!) with Quinoa. I should explore it.

This evening I made a variant on a Jamie Oliver ( :shock: ) recipe. Essentially buckwheat galettes (he used freshly made crepes) layered with a white onion sauce, fresh tomatoes that had been deseeded, chopped then tossed with basil, lemon zest and rw vinegar, and a mixture of gruyere and comte.
There didn't seem to be enough onion sauce (if I do this again would make a runnier one: I think I was a little approximate in my measurement of things, plus I halved the recipe) so I pured a little cream on top. V calorific, but it was actually surprisingly (to me!) nice.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby Monnikka » April 6th, 2015, 1:24 pm

Monnikka
Registered

Postby MrsWWoof » April 6th, 2015, 2:42 pm

I fancy something rustic and earthy so am currently boiling up some mixed grains and roasting some beetroot with a bulb of garlc and thyme. Looking forward to a nice salad later. I may add some sun dried or fresh tomatoes to it too, depending on how the mood takes me later. A good drizzle of EVOO and fig vinegar and I think it will hit the desired spot.
Hold on . . . until you find your smile again.
MrsWWoof
Registered

PreviousNext

Return to The Veggie Place