[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4758: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4759: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
Wildfood.info • View topic - 15 dishes from sweet potato

15 dishes from sweet potato

For those time when the Vegetarians and Vegans want to get away from the more carnivorous types.

15 dishes from sweet potato

Postby Monnikka » September 26th, 2016, 6:40 am

Monnikka
Registered

Re: 15 dishes from sweet potato

Postby Rainbow » September 28th, 2016, 12:07 am

Thanks for that link, Monnikka. Lots of interesting ideas here :D
Rainbow
Registered

Postby karadekoolaid » September 28th, 2016, 2:26 am

Super ideas here!
I`m a great fan of sweet potato.
Try any of the following:
1) Slice into thin strips and deep -fry. Makes a lovely accompaniment to any meal.
2) Cut into inch-thick cubes, poach for 8 minutes, drain, sprinkle with salt and panch puran ( or garam masala) as an appetizer or with cocktails.
3) Cook together with red lentils ( or toovar peas), onion,garlic and ginger. Add fresh tomatoes just before serving.
4) Roast with pumpkin, parsnips, onion and tomatoes. Blend to make a delicious soup.
5) Grate with onions and courgettes. Add garam masala and some besan ( chickpea) flour,form into little bhajis/pakoras
6) Same as (2) but serve with a lemony, spicy tomato salsa, for a tropical version of patatas bravas.
" Bite off more than you can chew, then chew like Hell!"
karadekoolaid
Registered

Postby StokeySue » September 28th, 2016, 8:55 am

Rather less than 15 for me as I'm not interested in the stodgy desserts but still some good ideas

Still use them mainly in mixed roasted veg and "orange soup" - sweet potato & butternut

Intrigued by the "sweet potato falafel" - not really falafel in my book, but the use of chickpea flour with the mashed sweet potato might make a nice nugget
StokeySue
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » September 30th, 2016, 11:32 am

On the internet I have seen sweet potato sliced like bread, toasted in a toaster and used like toast to top with an egg or other popular topping. I haven't got a toaster and have not got round to trying it under the grill. Has anyone tried it?
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Prettykiwicrazy » September 30th, 2016, 11:55 am

I've seen that onFacebook , however am not convinced. I can't see how a toaster would cook the sweet potato enough. Parboiling it and maybe a quick griddle after that could work
Prettykiwicrazy
Registered

Postby StokeySue » September 30th, 2016, 1:08 pm

StokeySue
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » September 30th, 2016, 1:26 pm

Hmmm, that makes it a bit laborious for a bit of toast doesn't it! I think you are right about the George Foreman, I think it would take ages in a normal toaster - and the juices would run too. Maybe roasted slices would work well if you planned ahead early enough.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Catherine » September 30th, 2016, 9:50 pm

Catherine
Registered

Postby Luca » October 4th, 2016, 6:32 pm

I'm a novice with sweet potato but read a broth recipe recently which said it was a so called 'superfood' and of good benefit... The link appears to agree.
http://www.jamieoliver.com/news-and-fea ... MXlg1KU.97

Perhaps I should give it a go. I can't say I like it on its own particularly but will give a few recipes a shot.
Luca
Global Moderator

Postby karadekoolaid » October 5th, 2016, 1:38 am

I think the claims that it`s a "superfood" might just be a little exaggerated, Luca; however, it is a potato, after all. Anything to do with potatoes HAS to be good!
Personally, I think something which offsets the natural sweetness works very well with "batata" - sweet potato.
Try it mixed with some spicy Spanish chorizo, as a tapa.
Or make a satisfying Indian Dal with onions, ginger, garlic, chiles - topped off with a spoonful of tamarind juice.
It works well in a veggie burger, too.

HEALTH WARNING:
Never, EVER prepare a sweet potato purée with marshmallows. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
" Bite off more than you can chew, then chew like Hell!"
karadekoolaid
Registered

Postby Seatallan » October 5th, 2016, 7:15 am

Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby StokeySue » October 5th, 2016, 9:34 am

Sweet potato is actually related to the morning glory flower (ipomoea) - the Latin name is ipomoea batata (batata being potato) but it is nto related to ordinary spuds or to the other solanaceae (tomatoes, peppers, aubergines)
I don't believe in "superfoods" it's a meaningless concept in my mind

However, sweet potatoes are nice for a change, being sweet they go particularly well with pork, they have less calories than spuds and more vitamins
I used to prefer the white fleshed ones but I now prefer the (more nutritious) orange ones, which are easier to find in the UK Spiced sweet potato wedges are a good place to start
Here's a picture of the NZ Kumara variety in flower, you can see the resemblance to morning glory

StokeySue
Registered

Postby Luca » October 5th, 2016, 5:18 pm

Great. Thanks both. I thinkmImwill make the tapas you suggest Clive.
Luca
Global Moderator

Postby PatsyMFagan » November 27th, 2016, 11:07 am

I like sweet potato and usually have one in the Veg box. They last for ages if you forget they are there ;) I parboil and then roast mine alongside 'proper' potatoes. I also sling them in soup with either BNS or Red Bell Peppers - delish ;) :)
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Return to The Veggie Place