Sprouts baked with Stilton

For those time when the Vegetarians and Vegans want to get away from the more carnivorous types.

Sprouts baked with Stilton

Postby Monnikka » January 2nd, 2017, 8:17 am

via JonoandJules, Dublin

Each time we see this recipe in Nigel Slater’s Tender Vol. 1 we salivate. We had almost forgotten about Brussels sprouts after having so many over Christmas. Just as well we caught them while still in season cause we definitely weren’t prepared to wait another year to try this. Stick a dish of these down in front of someone who doesn’t like sprouts and we defy them not to like them.

These were perfect with our barbecued striploin steaks (as ever from Tom in O’Toole’s in Glasthule village) though Nigel suggests they could also be served as a main with pasta – Jono has already swiped the leftovers to try with pasta for his lunch tomorrow!

A rich dish of sprouts and cheese for a very cold night (serves 4 as a side dish)

750g Brussels sprouts
butter
180g blue cheese – we used Colston Bassett Stilton
1 tbsp grainy mustard
400ml cream
100ml milk
a handful of finely grated Parmesan

Prep your sprouts and cut them in half. Bring a large pot of water to a fast boil, salt lightly, and drop in the sprouts. Bring back to the boil and time for 3 minutes. Drain well and place them in a lightly buttered, shallow, ovenproof dish.

Crumble the blue cheese over the sprouts.

Put the mustard in a bowl and stir in cream, milk and a good twist of black pepper. Stir and then pour over your sprouts. Scatter the Parmesan over the top and bake at 180C/gas 4 until lightly coloured and bubbling (about 15-20 minutes).
Monnikka
Registered

Re: Sprouts baked with Stilton

Postby StokeySue » January 2nd, 2017, 3:56 pm

Not sure about 100 ml of cream per person in a side dish, I assume double? Bet it is nice though
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » January 3rd, 2017, 7:17 am

I think the 100ml of cream is intended to serve 4. I would like it as a stand alone dish (rather than a side) with hunks of crusty bread to mop up the juices.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Hope » January 3rd, 2017, 7:45 am

that seems like a huge amount of everything! I love sprouts, but think that nearly 200g would be too much for me to eat! According to a quick google, one sprout weighs 10g, so that's nearly 20 sprouts each, I normally do 6 or 7 each, depending on their size.

Sprouts, yum, blue cheese, yum. Shame I don't like cream!
Hope
Registered

Postby Suelle » January 3rd, 2017, 7:47 am

A total of 500mls of liquid for a sauce doesn't sound unreasonable for 4 - I use 300mls of milk for a main course cauliflower cheese for 2. Using 400mls of cream and the blue cheese would make it very rich though!
Suelle
Global Moderator

Postby StokeySue » January 3rd, 2017, 8:33 am

earthmaiden wrote:I think the 100ml of cream is intended to serve 4. I would like it as a stand alone dish (rather than a side) with hunks of crusty bread to mop up the juices.

The recipe says 400ml cream in total, hence 100 ml each :o, however I agree with Hope that 750g sprouts will probably feed more than 4 people
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby scullion » January 3rd, 2017, 9:57 am

i thought there was rather a lot for a 'side' as well - more a 'main' if you ask me. it sounds good (albeit rather rich) apart from the fact that i'm not keen on cooked stilton. love it uncooked but theres a taste released by cooking that i find slightly nauseating.
scullion
Registered

Postby aero280 » January 3rd, 2017, 10:16 am

If there's any left over you could use it as a filling for vegetarian lasagne! :D
http://www.saabtechtalk.com/
aero280
Site Admin

Postby Catherine » January 3rd, 2017, 1:28 pm

scullion wrote: it sounds good (albeit rather rich) apart from the fact that i'm not keen on cooked stilton. love it uncooked but theres a taste released by cooking that i find slightly nauseating.

This is exactly my point with cauliflower cheese. I like cheese, I adore cauliflower......but cauliflower cheese is actually one meal that if served at a meal with friends I could even eat to be polite. I literally heave with the smell of it. Something happens during the cooking process that actually causes me to vomit. I know it makes no sense. I don't like parsnips either but I could eat if I had to, but cauliflower cheese, No no no, I actually have to leave the room where it is as my stomach starts gurgling. If my mum has made it she actually informs me incase I turn up at their house and smell it.
Catherine
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » January 3rd, 2017, 2:53 pm

StokeySue wrote:
earthmaiden wrote:I think the 100ml of cream is intended to serve 4. I would like it as a stand alone dish (rather than a side) with hunks of crusty bread to mop up the juices.

The recipe says 400ml cream in total, hence 100 ml each :o, however I agree with Hope that 750g sprouts will probably feed more than 4 people

Apologies, I was reading the milk quantity! Agree that seems a vast amount, especially with the rich Stilton. I too am a bit wary of Stilton in such dishes as it can get a bit overpowering (even though I can eat it by the ton with crackers!). They say you should always try the given recipe first and then tweak, I think in this case I might tweak from the beginning but it has potential.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Hope » January 3rd, 2017, 4:24 pm

Mr Hope is the same about cauliflower cheese.
Hope
Registered

Postby Lokelani » January 3rd, 2017, 6:12 pm

I bought a couple of sprout trees from Waitrose a few days ago at the bargain price of 25p each, so dug out a recipe I tried a year or so ago for for Sprout Potato Gratin. Very creamy & cheesy & wicked. I don't actually weigh the sprouts or potatoes, just fill my dish with as many as I want. I halve the sprouts, slice the latter. The ground almonds are an interesting addition, can't say I can taste them but perhaps they thicken slightly or stop the cream splitting. I made the mistake last night of not parboiling the potato slices & it took about 2 hours in the oven under foil to even start to cook them! I wonder if chunks would actually cook more quickly. In fact looking again at the recipe I don't bother with the breadcrumbs & substitute blue cheese for cheddar, so I don't really follow it very closely at all! Here it is in case anyone else wants to try it though:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/foodanddrink ... tchen.html
Lokelani
Registered

Postby Catherine » January 3rd, 2017, 9:27 pm

That looks good Lokelani. I love Brussels, so any recipe is good although I do like them simple boiled or steamed too. I'm not sure I'd bother with the almonds though
Catherine
Registered

Postby StokeySue » January 3rd, 2017, 10:49 pm

I think that looks altogether more reasonable, I'd think the potatoes would actually improve the texture, but I'd try with blue cheese not change to cheddar
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » January 4th, 2017, 6:41 am

My grandmother went through a stage of serving sprouts with a good sprinkling of ground nuts (in the 60's when such things were rarely seen). It was a very good marriage of flavours and I loved it. I suspect the almonds might be a surprisingly good addition to the dish.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Suelle » January 4th, 2017, 8:53 am

How about cavolo nero and smoked cheese with orzo, another Nigel Slater recipe:

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyl ... ked-cheese
Suelle
Global Moderator

Postby Lokelani » January 4th, 2017, 9:20 am

I don't think we can face the leftover potato & sprout bake again tonight, however nice it is! Into the freezer with the rest. It was a good dish to make when cooking the ham as the oven was on for hours. Forgot to say I don't like blue cheese, which is the only reason I substitute.

I think I now fancy the relatively simple sliced & sauteed sprouts, with chestnuts, pancetta or just in a bit of chicken stock.The second bargain sprout tree may go that way, being on the stalk seems to be keeping them fresh longer, which makes sense I guess.

Like the sound of that cavolo nero one too, it would be good with curly kale too no doubt.
Lokelani
Registered

Postby scullion » January 4th, 2017, 11:24 am

that does sound interesting. the next trip to the community garden will supply the cavolo nero (and kale), i have some cheese i smoked a while ago to use up and for some reason i also have the orzo - just need the cream (when i go shopping).
scullion
Registered

Postby Catherine » February 14th, 2017, 9:51 pm

My 12 year old nephew loves stilton and Brussels. This is right up his street
Catherine
Registered

Postby karadekoolaid » February 15th, 2017, 1:59 am

Right up my street too! I love sprouts.
Ever tried them in "brussels & squeak" with chopped bacon?
" Bite off more than you can chew, then chew like Hell!"
karadekoolaid
Registered

Postby Catherine » February 16th, 2017, 12:00 am

karadekoolaid wrote:Ever tried them in "brussels & squeak" with chopped bacon?

Sprouts always go in to squeak, but haven't put bacon in before. Often served with leftover roast pork though. Squeak always has to be left in the pan untouched for a bit to get that crispy bottom. Yum
Catherine
Registered

Postby karadekoolaid » February 16th, 2017, 5:51 pm

Squeak always has to be left in the pan untouched for a bit to get that crispy bottom. Yum

... and we ALL know there`s nothing like a crispy bottom..... 8-) 8-) :lol:
" Bite off more than you can chew, then chew like Hell!"
karadekoolaid
Registered

Postby Catherine » December 5th, 2017, 1:35 pm

I made this the other night for the kids served with chicken thighs. They loved it
Catherine
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » December 5th, 2017, 2:20 pm

:tu:
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Prettykiwicrazy » December 5th, 2017, 3:02 pm

I don't normally like blue cheese but have made a Stilton and potato gratin before which was very nice, and I love sprouts, so think this sounds very nice
Prettykiwicrazy
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » December 5th, 2017, 5:21 pm

I would eat this with anything but blue cheese. I have given it a go but no thanks. I would expect strong Cheddar and possibly breadcrumbs would work just as well on top? I can imagine this with nut roast and cranberry sauce. :chops:
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby Catherine » December 5th, 2017, 8:23 pm

TeresaFoodie wrote:I would expect strong Cheddar and possibly breadcrumbs would work just as well on top?

I reckon a mature Emmental would work better
Catherine
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » December 10th, 2017, 5:53 am

Emmental is another cheese I have yet to try. Next deli visit.... :grin:
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby suffolk » December 10th, 2017, 9:42 am

Can't imagine you not liking Emmental Tezza :chops: :tu: