Vegan quiche

For those time when the Vegetarians and Vegans want to get away from the more carnivorous types.

Vegan quiche

Postby Monnikka » April 3rd, 2017, 7:11 am

I have been searching for a recipe for a vegan quiche/savoury flan. Can anyone help?

I did have one with red lentils (from Clive?) another with tofu (from chools) and a third which has completely left my memory!

If anyone can help I'd be grateful. Thanks.
Monnikka
Registered

Re: Vegan quiche

Postby earthmaiden » April 3rd, 2017, 7:25 am

I used to have a recipe for one which had a kind of pre-cooked Dhal mixture in it with sauteed veg at the base. I'm not sure I still have it but it would be quite easy to do if you can make a thickish lentil mixture with your favourite seasonings and spices, spoon on top of veg in a pastry case and bake until the top has a slight crust. I'll see if I still have the book.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby scullion » April 3rd, 2017, 10:00 am

the cranks cookbook has a recipe for 'crecy pie', a plate pie with a lid which is really nice but has no significant protein element.

Crecy plate pie (Cranks)

Onions 12 oz 350g
Carrots 12 oz 350g
Butter 2 oz 50g
Thyme 1 tsp
Flour 2 tbsp
Yeast extract 1 tsp
Salt & pepper
Pastry 15 oz 425G

Chop the onion & grate the carrot. Saute the onion until transparent. Add the carrots & thyme and simmer for 10 minutes. Stir in flour and yeast extract, adjust seasoning.
Make into a plate pie & bake for 30 minutes 200'c 400'f gas 6
(lifted from another board but the same as in the book)

if you google aquafaba vegan quiche you get quite a lot of examples.
the 'aquafaba' (tinned chickpea water that can be whisked like meringue) possibly holds the content of a quiche together in the way egg does but i've only used it to make pavlova meringue.
scullion
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » April 3rd, 2017, 10:51 am

Do you meant something 'eggy'? Or a thick tart sort of thing?
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby Monnikka » April 3rd, 2017, 1:34 pm

Thank you for your suggestions.

No, Herbi, I do not mean anything eggy. I mean something which has no eggs.

Earthmaiden, would this not be too sloppy? I think I would try it without the veg under the dal but perhaps with sliced tomato over the top.

Scullion, thank you for this. I will try it.

I have read about chickpea water but not tried it. As we do not eat sweet stuff I hadn't connected it to savoury quiche. :oops:
Monnikka
Registered

Postby Suelle » April 3rd, 2017, 2:06 pm

With all the advances in ingredients over the last few years, and increased interest in cooking for non-mainstream diets, there are plenty of vegan recipes around which sound quite nice even to a meat eater. I can't recommend any of them as tried and tested but if I wanted a vegan quiche I'd be quite happy to try some of the results from a Google search.
Suelle
Global Moderator

Postby Herbidacious » April 3rd, 2017, 3:10 pm

Monnikka wrote:Thank you for your suggestions.

No, Herbi, I do not mean anything eggy. I mean something which has no eggs..

Yes, I understood 'no eggs' from 'vegan' Monnikka. I just meant did you want something with an egg substitute or consistency, in which case one might go down the silken tofu route, or simply egg substitute. I rather think of a quiche without eggs or 'egginess' (nb inverted commas!) as a tart and didn't want to suggest that sort of thing if it wasn't what you wanted. Tart suggestions would be an onion tart, Pissaladiere type topping obviously without the anchovies, duxelles type tart? I have a roasted portobello mushroom pecan and chestnut wellington recipe that might adapt to a tart.

I have a recipe for flax seed and tofu based egg substitute quiche if you are feeling adventurous (not tried it yet myself.)

I think this sounds quite nice: http://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/vegetables-recipes/vegan-mushroom-chestnut-cranberry-tart/ although lots of off piste ingredients to achieve the quiche effect.

I suppose if you can use vegan cheese that would help to bind things.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby Catherine » April 3rd, 2017, 8:26 pm

Catherine
Registered

Postby Monnikka » April 5th, 2017, 1:13 pm

I did respond but it disappeared! :rolleyes:

I said I would attempt two quiches to start, the chickpea water first and one using egg replacer.

Incidentally, the young man who is asking for these recipes is generally quite a confident cook but vegan quiche is out of his orbit. He is vegetarian rather than vegan but I think he's squeamish about eggs.

I'll let you know how I get on.
Monnikka
Registered

Return to The Veggie Place