Veggie Scotch Eggs

For those time when the Vegetarians and Vegans want to get away from the more carnivorous types.

Veggie Scotch Eggs

Postby Ratatouille » June 11th, 2017, 9:53 am

Are these doable? Bearing in mind that things like veggie sausages are sinply not available here.
Je pense, donc je suis. - Decartes
Ratatouille
Registered

Re: Veggie Scotch Eggs

Postby suffolk » June 11th, 2017, 11:43 am

A certain Norwich pub used to be reknowned for it's veggie Scotch Eggs ... known to the art students as Bull's Kn*ckers :oops: :lol:

The 'wrapping' was based on a Sage & Onion type stuffing mix ... and jolly tasty they were too. :chops:

I might have to try to recreate them ... when I'm back on kitchen duties :hungry:
“One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.”
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby Hope » June 11th, 2017, 12:36 pm

I've not tried them myself, but I imagine you could probably make the outer from red lentils or chickpeas, something nice and sticky and hold-together-y. Think falafel.
Hope
Registered

Postby smitch » June 11th, 2017, 1:12 pm

One of the pubs I was in yesterday was advertising falafel scotch eggs. I've not tried them yet though.
smitch
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » June 11th, 2017, 3:11 pm

suffolk wrote:A certain Norwich pub used to be reknowned for it's veggie Scotch Eggs ... known to the art students as Bull's Kn*ckers :oops: :lol:

The 'wrapping' was based on a Sage & Onion type stuffing mix ... and jolly tasty they were too. :chops:

I might have to try to recreate them ... when I'm back on kitchen duties :hungry:

I can see that working but I fear that lentil/chickpea wrappers would be difficult to handle and keep stuck on.
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » June 11th, 2017, 4:20 pm

I was looking at a recipe on the BBC wedsite today using bulgar cracked wheat for making savoury balls , here it is,http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/bulgur_wheat_balls_57026 this might do for the outside of a scotch egg affair. :chef:
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby StokeySue » June 11th, 2017, 4:33 pm

I have eaten veggie Scotch eggs but no idea what went into the outer layer
Felicity Cloake's chickoea version sounds plausible
https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2013/apr/24/felicity-cloake-veggie-scotch-egg-recipe
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » June 11th, 2017, 4:54 pm

There is a recipe in the current Vegetarian Living, I think, which I thought looked promising.) I am in France and it is in England, but will look it up when I get home if you are interested. I am pretty sure it's not the one on their web site (which uses, even harder to source in France, I imagine, vegetarian Haggis!)
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby Catherine » June 11th, 2017, 11:44 pm

Use veggie black pudding
Catherine
Registered

Postby scullion » June 12th, 2017, 7:46 am

i've made them in the past (i don't know why i haven't made them more recently). as you probably can't get stuff like sosmix where you are i think i would be inclined to go for suffolk's suggestion and use an egg to bind the mix.
the other suggestion would be to make them like arancini but with the egg in the middle rather than the normal filling.
scullion
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » June 12th, 2017, 9:49 am

Catherine wrote:Use veggie black pudding
I would love to see the faces here if I went looking for that - let alone haggis :lol:

I would love the recipe Herbie. I want to prect them for when veggie D-I-L comes in the summer. The rest of the family all love the real thing and as we now have plenty of eggs again it seems like a good plan.
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » June 12th, 2017, 1:16 pm

Quite hard to get veggie black pudding even in London!

I just realized I have the magazine here, but it's a bit too long to type out the recipe so will scan it when I get back. (Homeward bound tomorrow.) I can turn a pic into text with software at work. However, it's called Glamorgan eggs, which should give you an idea. They certainly look nice. The basic making of them looks very straight forward, but there is a lot of text about assemblage and cooking.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » June 14th, 2017, 1:36 pm

Ah so the same as Glamorgan sausages Herbie. I do make those and we all like them.
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » June 14th, 2017, 4:24 pm

Pretty much! I have scanned the document, and created a word doc from it. Will post the recipe when I've tidied it up later this evening. As I said, all the detail seemed to be in the forming and cooking of them.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby karadekoolaid » June 14th, 2017, 8:46 pm

Just out of interest...
Has anyone tried making Scotch Eggs using soya protein? (ie. artifical minced beef).
" Bite off more than you can chew, then chew like Hell!"
karadekoolaid
Registered

Postby StokeySue » June 14th, 2017, 9:09 pm

The Sosmix scullion mentioned is largely soy protein, but my memory is that the texture is finer than beef / TVP mince
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » June 15th, 2017, 8:41 am

Here is the recipe. If anyone wants to use it, I suggest you read it through first as I have just done a cursory proof read before dashing off to the doctor's - not read it for sense and it's converted from a pdf format image scan.

Glamorgan eggs
Makes 4 1 Prep 1hr 1 Cook 10 mins

4 medium free-range eggs
2 free-range egg whites
1 packet panko or dry white breadcrumbs
oil, for deep-frying

For the sausage mix:
200g wholemeal breadcrumbs
150g strong vegetarian Cheddar, grated
1 small leek, finely sliced with the best of the green
2 tbsp fresh parsley, chopped
1tbsp fresh sage, chopped
1tbsp fresh thyme, chopped
2 tsp Dijon mustard
1/2 tsp paprika
freshly ground black pepper

1. Bring a saucepan of water (large enough to hold the eggs) to the boil. Carefully add the four eggs and set a timer for 6 minutes for slightly runny yolks, or 8-10 minutes for a firmer yolk. Remove the eggs and place into a bowl of cold water to cool. Once they are cold, carefully peel and put to one side.
2. Place all the ingredients for the sausage mix in a food processor and blitz a few times to combine to a soft sticky consistency. If your breadcrumbs are very dry to begin with, you may need to add a tablespoon or two of water to help loosen the mixture. If it's too firm it will be tricky to form around the boiled eggs. If you don't have a food processor you can mix by hand, but make sure the leek is sliced finely.
3. To assemble, place a large piece of cling film on the worktop and spoon a quarter of the sausage mix onto the centre of it, forming it into a flat oval about twice the size of an egg. Place a boiled egg onto the mix and, using the cling film, bring up the sides, encasing and gently moulding the mixture into a round or oval shape around the egg. Twist the edges of the cling film together to seal the formed egg, and place on a plate while you repeat with the remaining eggs. Place the cling-filmed eggs in the fridge to chili for a minimum of 30 minutes to firm up. (You can do this up to 2 days in advance.)
4. When you are ready to fry the eggs, pour enough ail into a high-sided saucepan large enough to fry a couple of eggs at a time, and place over a low to medium heat. While the oil is heating, prepare your cooking area with a bowl containing the egg whites, another containing the panko or breadcrumbs, and two plates, one of them covered with a triple layer of paper towel for the fried n eggs.
5 Remove the eggs from the fridge and unwrap one. Check and seal up any cracks or gaps in the breadcrumb mix, then drop into the egg white bowl. Turn in the egg white to caver, then lift out into the breadcrumb bowl. Cover well in the crumbs and place on a plate. Repeat this process with the remaining eggs.
6 To fry, increase the heat under the pan to medium and check it is hot enough by adding a small cube of bread to the oil. It should sizzle immediately, but not brown too fast. Adjust your heat accordingly. Remove the cube of bread before frying the eggs. Using a slotted spoon, carefully lower a breadcrumbed egg into the oil. Add another egg and fry for 4-5 minutes, until a deep golden brown. Adding too many at once will lower the temperature of the ail, so it is best to cook a couple at a time. Once golden brown, carefully drain and place onto the paper towel plate. Fry the remaining eggs.
7 Eat the Glamorgan eggs straight away with a spicy tomato relish or chutney, or a dab of wholegrain mustard. Alternatively, store in the fridge for up to 5 days ready for packed lunches and picnics.
•PER EGG 552 cals, fat 31g, sat fat 11g,
carbs 41g, sugars 3g, protein 26g, salt 1.63g, fibre Sg
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » June 15th, 2017, 8:49 am

Thank's Herbie. I'll give them a go very soon- rhough not a cat in hell's possibility of veggie Chedaar :lol: :lol: I'll do them in my deep fat fryer.
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » June 15th, 2017, 12:59 pm

Nope! Maybe a (non-veggie) Cantal mixed with a bit of Comte/Gruyere for extra flavour oomph would do. I am sure you know the subs...!

Actually, I would be interested to hear actually what you do use.

When I am cooking from English recipe books in France, occasionally I seem to be substituting almost everything in the recipe. It reads like an inverted version of a 1980s Delia Smith book (sub cottage cheese for ricotta, Lancashire for Cantal, parsley for coriander etc.)!
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » June 20th, 2017, 12:28 pm

Hi Herbie. Made them this morning I used a mixture of gruyere ( for stickability) and Cantal ( for taste) and I used half mashed potato instead of the full amount of breadcrumbs ( more like Galmorgan sausage) The casing tasted rather good and the appearance is fine. We'll eat them tonight and I'll tell you about the taste.

I don't have problems with things like cottage cheese or coriander. But of course things like double cream, bacon and of course Marmite crisps (!) etc require a delivery. That makes it more of a treat when it happens.
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » June 20th, 2017, 1:21 pm

Great. Fingers crossed.

My reference to cottage cheese and ricotta was more to do with things Delia put in her Complete Cookery Course in the 80s, when we couldn't get exotics such as ricotta (a lot of people us probably hadn't even heard of it.) so she suggested cottage cheese. I think in her recipe for aligot she still suggests Lancashire instead of Cantal, which is still not that easy to get in the UK.
But of course one can't get cottage cheese in France. I sometimes take a pot of coriander with me when I go, and I grow sage and rosemary there (in pots covered with thick chicken wire to keep the sheep off!) I imagine you can get all sorts where you are that we can't get in Normandy. There are things I can't get in Normandy that I can get if I hop over the border into Brittany. I love the way that even the supermarkets are somewhat local. I had some fresh (possibly unpasteurized) creme fluide that came from Bagnols-de-L'Orne this time, some creme crue from Flers, and some Domfront honey (although I have to say that is more sweet than flavourful.)
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » June 20th, 2017, 2:13 pm

Danone do cottage cheese and it is usually available in Leclerc. It is one of those Brit things which is trendy enough to feature in Saveurs - like HP sauce and Marmite :lol: :lol: :lol:
Coriander is plentiful because there are so many North Africans. I can buy a huge bunch in the market for 1E.
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » June 20th, 2017, 3:47 pm

:D

thyme and parsley are as good as it gets up north, if you want fresh!
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » June 20th, 2017, 6:50 pm

Got both. Just tasted the eggs they were really rather good. Will do again.
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » June 21st, 2017, 9:19 am

:D
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby Catherine » June 23rd, 2017, 6:56 pm

Ratatouille wrote:Hi Herbie. Made them this morning I used a mixture of gruyere ( for stickability) and Cantal ( for taste) and I used half mashed potato instead of the full amount of breadcrumbs ( more like Galmorgan sausage) The casing tasted rather good and the appearance is fine. We'll eat them tonight and I'll tell you about the taste.

I don't have problems with things like cottage cheese or coriander. But of course things like double cream, bacon and of course Marmite crisps (!) etc require a delivery. That makes it more of a treat when it happens.

They sound great. If you wanted to have a go with sosmix I could always get some and send it to you
Catherine
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » June 25th, 2017, 12:58 pm

That's kind Catherine but I think I would rather use things I can always get
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » July 20th, 2017, 11:48 am

Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby Catherine » July 20th, 2017, 11:56 am

Pepper Pig wrote:Felicity's had another go.

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyl ... cotch-eggs

Great minds PP I have just copied the link to post here and you beat me to it.
Catherine
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » July 20th, 2017, 12:19 pm

8-) 8-) 8-)
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » July 20th, 2017, 12:45 pm

Thanks for that but not praticable for me I'm afraid and I dislike those bright orange crumbs intensley :sprout:
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » July 20th, 2017, 1:41 pm

Panko aren't orange Rats. Well not round here they're not. I think they're fab, and very cheap in places like Wing Yip. They last for ever too.
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » July 21st, 2017, 9:24 am

Gosh were those Panko crumbs - they looked like the orange ones in the photo. I have an order in for Panko crumbs every Ocado delivery. Never been heard of here.
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby Prettykiwicrazy » July 21st, 2017, 9:55 am

I do think Felicity's food photography leaves a lot to be desired sometimes. Those orange breadcrumbs are awful aren't they.
Prettykiwicrazy
Registered

Postby scullion » July 21st, 2017, 10:31 am

maybe she just said that she used panko ones to sound 'proper' but used the golden ones instead.
scullion
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » July 21st, 2017, 12:48 pm

I suspect that Scully. I've done a fair bit of prep for food pics in my time .
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » July 21st, 2017, 1:00 pm

Panko crumbs are wonderful - and not orange! I discovered them when making fish cakes from a recipe in the Wagamama cookboook years ago. Before we could get them at local supermarkets I used to buy loads when I visited the Japan shop in London and freeze them so that they kept for longer than the packet date.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby StokeySue » July 21st, 2017, 1:12 pm

Felicity lives in London, I think she'd find it easier to buy panko than golden crumbs, unless her fishmonger sells them!
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » July 22nd, 2017, 3:27 pm

She'd deep fried the eggs. Of course the coating was golden.

Or am I missing something?
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby StokeySue » July 22nd, 2017, 11:53 pm

Seen on a screen to my rubbish eyesight, her final eggs do look more golden dyed than golden fried, but you can't trust on-screen colours :D
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Return to The Veggie Place