What should I order?

For those time when the Vegetarians and Vegans want to get away from the more carnivorous types.

What should I order?

Postby Ratatouille » July 20th, 2017, 12:55 pm

My lovely friend is returning to France at the end of the month and has just emailed to offer to bring an Ocado order for me.

You will probably have realised that veegie substitutes are non-existant here so I would welcome suggestions for ingredients I can use when D-I-L comes in August. He can, and does stuff like bacon and cheese so as long as it has a fairly long use by date ot can be frozen thats fine. I am thinking halumi which I know she loves and perhaps tofu - but which sort

Of course a lot of provencal dishes are, in themselves, vegetarian but the kids probably want to enjoy bbqs and suchlike

Thanks for you thoughts.
Je pense, donc je suis. - Decartes
Ratatouille
Registered

Re: What should I order?

Postby Catherine » July 20th, 2017, 1:28 pm

Veggie haggis - so you can make your scotch eggs :)
Catherine
Registered

Postby Hope » July 20th, 2017, 1:30 pm

This is our favourite. Even he-who-eats-nothing loves it!

https://www.ocado.com/webshop/product/T ... oked+tofoo It usually has a few weeks to a month or so date on it.

I've had ocado halloumi before and it's nice.

They have a lot of fry's frozen vegetarian things which are nice too.
Hope
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » July 20th, 2017, 1:31 pm

She wouldn't eat haggis when not veggie so I doubt if she'll eat it now :D
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby smitch » July 20th, 2017, 1:40 pm

The veggie haggis is great and freezes well. The Taifun brand of tofu is lovely, the smoked with seeds is good as is the basil one. The texture changes when frozen and not everyone likes it. I've used it from chilled way past its use by date though. Avoid Cauldron tofu, it is awful. Taifun hot dogs are good too and BBQ well. Most of the 'meaty' sausages will be fine on the BBQ as will the burgers. My (omni) OH enjoyed the Vivera ones (the 'meaty' ones, I've not tried the other varieties). Most Quorn is pretty rubbish, the sausages are awful, but the burgers are fine. The Quorn chilled premium sausages are ok but there are better brands. We like the Quorn southern fried mini bites. They are frozen but I've refrozen them after they were defrosted and they were fine.

If you want 'fake meat', Frys products are nice and Ocado has a good range. Linda McCartney sausages are quite nice but very salty. Cauldron sausages (chilled) are good too.

The 'great foods' stuff I've tried has been nice, apart from the spinach and pine nut bites; my OH really likes the sweet potato pakora. Cauldron falafel are quite good too. Personally, I'm not keen on the Cheatin/VBites/Redwood stuff but other people do so it might just be me. I haven't tried the Waitrose bean burgers from Ocado, but other supermarket ones I've had have been nice but prob not suitable for the BBQ.

Ocado also sell vegetarian parmesan style cheese which freezes well.
Last edited by smitch on July 20th, 2017, 2:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
smitch
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » July 20th, 2017, 1:42 pm

They do gorgeous olives. Garlic stuffed are my favourite. Anything from their deli such as a variety of cheese. I am not sure if they still do them but little tiny red peppers stuffed with cheese and packed in oil. Stuffed vine leaves. Their hummus is the best I have ever tasted. On the cheese bit of the deli I used to buy little dried fruit cakes comprising mainly of figs. Divine! Some of their jams and pickles etc are interesting. I have never been disappointed by their food and used to regularly order from them when I was flush.
Enjoy your order! Any leftovers can be found a home here. :grin:
Happy Halloween......whoo
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby Hope » July 20th, 2017, 1:44 pm

Just to be contrary, we hate the LMcC sausages and burgers! THey are far too soggy and mushy.

I like the Great Food morroccan falafel, but some of the others are so dry they are inedible!

I used to like the Cauldron sausages best. Shame they've got gluten in.
Hope
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » July 20th, 2017, 1:51 pm

Ratatouille wrote:She wouldn't eat haggis when not veggie so I doubt if she'll eat it now :D

I wouldn't touch meaty haggis before I gave up meat but the McSween's veggie one is lovely. I only fancied one yesterday, well not a whole one, with mash, carrots, peas, veggie gravy. A lovely meal and guilt free. A lot of their sweets are veggie friendly, I.e. No gelatine. They also do great fruit juices in unusual flavours. Long life of course.
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » July 20th, 2017, 2:06 pm

TeresaFoodie wrote:They do gorgeous olives. Garlic stuffed are my favourite. Anything from their deli such as a variety of cheese. I am not sure if they still do them but little tiny red peppers stuffed with cheese and packed in oil. Stuffed vine leaves. Their hummus is the best I have ever tasted. On the cheese bit of the deli I used to buy little dried fruit cakes comprising mainly of figs. Divine! Some of their jams and pickles etc are interesting. I have never been disappointed by their food and used to regularly order from them when I was flush.
Enjoy your order! Any leftovers can be found a home here. :grin:

Tezza we are surrounded by olives so I don'e need to order any and I have a cellar full of jams, jellies chutneys and pickles, I've even got preserved stuffed vine leaves from our vine :lol: :lol: I'm really looking for the sort of things I know i can't get locally like meat substitutes and hallumi etc

Thanks for the Tofu advice smitch. Falafel I do make quite regularly and if not Picard have some very good frozen ones, funnily enough the ones they have in the small vegetarian section and twise the price of those in the miidle east section and they are exactly the same just in a different package :rolleyes:
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » July 20th, 2017, 2:14 pm

I don't think I can add much rather than to say that I don't think there is anything wrong with Quorn sausages. I particularly like the cocktail ones (dipped in Dijon.) Of course, I can't remember what a meat sausage tastes like (and didn't particularly like them when I could.) I love the bacon, but eat it cold, like ham. I don't like it 'crisped' up at all. YUK. Each to their own?

If you get tofu, I would strongly recommend pressing it before eating it. It's a game changer.

If chilled food will transport, I recommend the Moorish smoked houmous range.

https://www.ocado.com/webshop/getSearch ... ed+houmous
Last edited by Herbidacious on July 20th, 2017, 2:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » July 20th, 2017, 2:18 pm

Thanks Herbie. Chilled no problem I gave friend a plug in chill box for the transproting. It only seemed fair.
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby smitch » July 20th, 2017, 2:24 pm

I'd also add the vegetarian haggis isn't 'meaty', it is made from oats, seeds etc. http://www.macsween.co.uk/products/delicious-every-day-vegetarian/

I do quite enjoy the Quorn cocktail sausages, sadly I now have a mustard allergy, otherwise I'd try them with dijon :(
smitch
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » July 20th, 2017, 2:30 pm

I shall request a long overdue Waitrose trip this weekend, I think I don't go to often because I always seem to come out with half the amount of food I would in Sainsburys, stuff with a bill twice as big! If I see anything especially nice, I will let you know. They do do nice vegetarian pates. Not of the faux meat variety though. But I guess you could make such things yourself if you wanted to.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » July 20th, 2017, 6:10 pm

Sorry I was just getting excited at the memories of their delicious produce for me! I am not all too sure what you can or cannot get hold of. I am sure you will enjoy anyhow!
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby scullion » July 20th, 2017, 11:02 pm

i would see no point in transporting things like humous if chickpeas are readily available in french supermarkets (i know they are in spain). does occado do things like gluten powder and yeast flakes? if they do i would chose those so that i could make seitan sausages and the like to go on a barbecue. (i buy gluten powder from a local bakery).
http://www.everydaydish.tv/videos/spicy ... n-sausage/
scullion
Registered

Postby StokeySue » July 20th, 2017, 11:38 pm

Chick peas should be available in France, but might need to acquire the tahini to go with it?
Plenty of S French veggie spreads
/ dips of the tapenade or confit d'olives variety where anchovy free so no need to import

To be honest, she's only going to be there two weeks, if you can get veggie cheese, some ready made sausage or burger type things, some tofu perhaps (I make tofu kebabs fo barbeque, marinated in soy, ginger and garlic and brushed with a bit of oil), there are plenty of veggie things you can make with only minor tweaks - the oreilles d'ane and the courgette and rice gratin on other current threads for example. Both do contain cheese though!
I don't know if you can get good soy sauce, Ocado do Kikkoman and you'd use any spare, it is useful in veggie cooking

Likewise I suspect you can get plenty of pulses and grains, but if not just check the Ocado list

Feeding a veggie is not like feeding a giant panda or a lemur, they don't need anything esoteric, just regular human food! But without meat or fish. Vegans a bit more technical of course.
I went to Prague with a vegetarian nearly 25 years ago, the food back then was sausage heavy, dull etc but the three things that were universally good were bread, cheese and salad, so not a disaster (add in some memorable mushroom soup and pancakes and a veggie goulasch made with soy chunks)
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » July 21st, 2017, 9:21 am

No problems with chick peas - a Provencal staple, and I can get tahini in the market. I used to make humus a lot when the kids were litttle. These days i make pois chichade which is garlic and olive oil heavy. Loads of pulses and grains.

I know I'm fussing unduly but like all converts she is quite evangelical. I have a couple of local veggie friends who are no problem at all to feed but they have very Provencal tastes. Thing is i don't have to cater for every meal for them, just one offs. I think I will rely upon some substitutes like sausages, possibly burgers, tofu and things like halumi so everyone can enjoy bbq's etc without hassle.
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby Prettykiwicrazy » July 21st, 2017, 9:47 am

I would do that. I think most vegetarians like to eat a meatless equivalent to other guests rather than something completely different. Mezze/tapas /small plate spreads are good , as present natural meat free options for her to enjoy. Are your other guests happy to eat meat free meals occasionally? Some vegetarian dishes I find go down well with omnivores are vegetable curries, lasagnas and tart/quiches.
Prettykiwicrazy
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » July 21st, 2017, 10:43 am

You can buy hummus in my neck of the French woods, but not smoked hummus, Scullion ;) I have tried making smoked hummus myself (even in France) but it's not as nice as the Waitrose one. I only suggested it because it's delicious.

I think Rats, as long as you serve something up that's satisfying i.e. not a just a green salad - which I know you wouldn't dream of doing, but it happens - it will be fine. And if it's a help-yourself thing make sure there is enough for meat eaters as well, as many's the time there's been nothing left for me!

I assume, you have probably said, that she does eat meat substitutes. A lot of newly converted vegetarians of the evangelical persuasion won't, although it does depend on why they are vegetarian. I didn't eat meat subs much when I was younger primarily because they weren't available. And I didn't dash to the supermarket to stock up on them when they did become so albeit partly because they were too expensive for my student budget. But I say this mainly to illustrate that one doesn't need meat subs to feed a vegetarian. I don@t have them when I am in Normandy.

i am sure it will be fine :)

Delia's vegetarian offerings are nicely quite indulgent and satisfyingly treat-like for non-Vegetarians I think, if that's of interest. I particularly like her asparagus (I know out of season now) and gruyere feuilletes and have even served it up to French guests :o http://www.deliaonline.com/recipes/type ... feuilletes

But there are lots of veggie recipes out there, of course! now this is one I want to try if we ever have a barbecue again:

http://www.waitrose.com/home/recipes/re ... oftas.html
Last edited by Herbidacious on July 21st, 2017, 11:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby scullion » July 21st, 2017, 10:52 am

smoked humous‽‽
i've not heard of it (maybe because i don't shop in waitrose - and ocado don't deliver down this way) i may have to try it as i have to go that way (past the 'new' truro waitrose) on monday. or i may look for a recipe online.
scullion
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » July 21st, 2017, 12:45 pm

Prettykiwicrazy wrote:I would do that. I think most vegetarians like to eat a meatless equivalent to other guests rather than something completely different. Mezze/tapas /small plate spreads are good , as present natural meat free options for her to enjoy. Are your other guests happy to eat meat free meals occasionally? Some vegetarian dishes I find go down well with omnivores are vegetable curries, lasagnas and tart/quiches.

I would say the adults are but the teenagers not. They are fine with fruit but run a milefrom most vegetables. I suspect they would be perfectly happy eating pizza or burgers every day. Not in my house I'm afraid.
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » July 31st, 2017, 9:20 am

Well order in and due to be delivered to our wonderful fried tomorrow and to us two days later. I'll let you know how I get on but I have also ordered a Melton Mowbury pork pie for a treat for Mr Rats - he happened to say the other day he would kill for one and it's just too hot to make one.
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » August 1st, 2017, 12:08 pm

Paul has just emailed to say "Order arrived, all present and correct except for the veggie haggis ..........veggie haggis .... you???????"
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby Catherine » August 1st, 2017, 4:28 pm

Ratatouille wrote:Paul has just emailed to say "Order arrived, all present and correct except for the veggie haggis ..........veggie haggis .... you???????"

I hope it is a good one. They seem to vary so much and a made one is grim, but a well made one with lots of proper jelly is actually quite nice.

Ratatouille wrote:but I have also ordered a Melton Mowbury pork pie for a treat for Mr Rats - he happened to say the other day he would kill for one and it's just too hot to make one.

What a shame. I quite like veggie haggis, but I also quite like the real version too. The next time one of us Wildies goes to France near you they will have to bring one over for you
Catherine
Registered

Return to The Veggie Place