Spelt Grain

For those time when the Vegetarians and Vegans want to get away from the more carnivorous types.

Spelt Grain

Postby Gruney » July 26th, 2017, 9:40 am

I wonder if someone could give me a bit of confidence, please.

I've come across a Lebanese recipe, which involves brown rice, Puy lentils and spelt grain amongst other things - four hours on low in a Slow Cooker.

I knew little about spelt, but have researched, and just need the last piece of the jig saw. I can source "pearl spelt" - which I believe has had the husks removed. Would this be what the recipe calls "spelt grain" - the word "grain" used to distinguish it from spelt flour, do you think?
Gruney
Registered

Re: Spelt Grain

Postby scullion » July 26th, 2017, 11:33 am

I think you're right - it would be to differentiate it from flour. If you can't get whole grain spelt then the perl would be OK - I think the only difference is that as the seed coat has been removed it may cook slightly quicker.
scullion
Registered

Postby Gruney » July 26th, 2017, 11:36 am

Thanks a lot, Scullion.
Gruney
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » July 26th, 2017, 1:43 pm

Grun ey Spelt is a very very common grain in these parts. It has been grown up on the plateau for hundreds of years. It is called epautre in French but in provencal it is spelta!

I have only ever seen it with the husk on, although it is ground to make flour. It makes a yummy risotto and pretty darned good bread too.
Je pense, donc je suis. - Decartes
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby KC2 » July 26th, 2017, 4:31 pm

Talking of spelt, I recently discovered some delicious "new" crackers at Sainsbury's, Spelt and Fig flatbreads in their Taste the Difference range. I am addicted to them! (They've only got 14 calories per flatbread as well - of course if you pile them high with blue cheese or goat's cheese there are a few extra calories on there ... ;) )
KC2
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » October 2nd, 2017, 9:15 am

I have a recipe to try this week for red peppers stuffed with a spelt risotto - it includes merguez sausage but I am sure there could be all sorts of things to sustitute eg mushrooms, chestnuts, walnuts with added paprika.
Je pense, donc je suis. - Decartes
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby aero280 » October 2nd, 2017, 11:12 am

If you like spelt crackers. Have a go at these. I've been making them for a few years now.

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyl ... pes-lepard
http://www.saabtechtalk.com/
aero280
Site Admin

Postby Seatallan » October 2nd, 2017, 5:11 pm

I use spelt flour for soda bread sometimes.
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby KC2 » October 4th, 2017, 9:32 am

aero280 wrote:If you like spelt crackers. Have a go at these. I've been making them for a few years now.

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyl ... pes-lepard

They look delicious!
KC2
Registered

Postby Badger's mate » October 4th, 2017, 10:19 am

My baking is definitely deficient in the biscuits department. I quite fancy doing those two, and have long thought I should have a go at shortbread.
Badger's mate
Registered

Postby KC2 » October 4th, 2017, 12:53 pm

Badger's mate wrote:My baking is definitely deficient in the biscuits department. I quite fancy doing those two, and have long thought I should have a go at shortbread.

Yes, I also feel that I should have a go at shortbread! It is supposed to be so straightforward, although I can't do the rubbing in by hand because of arthritis. I'd use the magimix, as I do for crumble.
KC2
Registered

Return to The Veggie Place