DR WHO !!

A place to discuss Food TV and radio programmes.

DR WHO !!

Postby icelesley » July 17th, 2017, 1:05 pm

Now we know the next Doctor is a female non other than Jodie Whittaker of Broadchurch fame, what do you think?

I am not sure she is odd enough to be the Doctor, I may be wrong but I think there are more suitably peculiar women who could be a better choice, buy hey she must have something to offer the part.
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway. Image ImageImage
icelesley
Registered

Re: DR WHO !!

Postby StokeySue » July 17th, 2017, 1:23 pm

I think she's a good enough actor to play odd, I don't think Peter Davison, Colin Baker or even Patrick Troughton or David Tennant were particularly odd off set. Her qualification here is that she has successfully played both intense drama and comedy, which until 2013 was Capaldi's main qualification too. She and Chris Chibnall can invent some nice eccentricities.

The idea that the Doctor can't be a woman seems a little odd since the Master morphed into Missy
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Busybee » July 17th, 2017, 1:24 pm

I don't have any strong views, but will look forward to the Christmas special as I always do.

More to the point will be how the new writer, director etc fares.

BB
Busybee
Registered

Postby Suelle » July 17th, 2017, 2:13 pm

I initially thought that there were better 'character' actors, but if she's good (and the writing is too), that side of things should develop.
Suelle
Global Moderator

Postby icelesley » July 17th, 2017, 2:29 pm

I though Alex Kingston would be a good Dr Who she was the daughter of Amy Pond which was out of sync but as a time traveller managed to be older than Amy her mother. That will sound crazy to anyone who hasn't watched the series :lol:
icelesley
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » July 17th, 2017, 2:46 pm

But wasn't she also married to the Doctor? My younger son once served her in the Apple Store. 8-)

I was hoping it was going to be Bill morphing into the new Doctor but am quite happy with Jodie.
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby icelesley » July 17th, 2017, 2:58 pm

Yes she was married to the 11th Doctor - Matt Smith
icelesley
Registered

Postby Hope » July 17th, 2017, 3:05 pm

I don't remember seeing her in anything (although apparently I have seen a couple of films she was in), but I'm really glad they've cast a woman in the role. Finally. It was suggested after Tom Baker left (I know this because I live in a house full of Dr Who fans, so I've learnt a lot from them!)

It's been rather foregrounded, what with The Master becoming Missy and some other timelord turning into a black woman (apparently, see above, Mr Hope told me about that earlier). And something Bill said in the last episode too.

I can't believe how many people are outraged about it!
Hope
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » July 17th, 2017, 5:08 pm

Hope wrote:I don't remember seeing her in anything

You didn't watch Broadchurch Hope ?
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby suffolk » July 17th, 2017, 6:12 pm

For some reason we didn't watch Broadchurch either :rolleyes:
“One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.”
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » July 17th, 2017, 6:42 pm

NOT happy re a female Doctor. Doctor Who is sacred childhood fodder and not to be messed with.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby suffolk » July 17th, 2017, 6:55 pm

Herbidacious wrote:NOT happy re a female Doctor. Doctor Who is sacred childhood fodder and not to be messed with.

... given that The Doctor regenerates, and that we've learned that gender is far less defined and fixed biologically than was once thought, I have no problem with the new casting ... after all, if we can cope with Time And Relative Dimensions In Space meaning that the inside can be bigger than the outside, and Riversong being older than her mother Amy Pond, a change of gender seems inconsequential to me. :)
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » July 17th, 2017, 9:07 pm

Conceptually no problem, messing with my childhood, as I said, not happy. Not happy about the Doctor having a wife either...!

We all have a something that's sacred...

But I dont have a problem with the Master being a woman (that much. Well maybe a bit.)

And I am absolutely fine with them having a female James Bond, for example, if they can make it coherent. ('James Bond' is just 007 who is just an agent's code name, etc.) My sister would have kittens. Mind you she thinks they should do a rewrite of Wuthering Heights with a female Heathcliff, and WH was her sacred childhood book, so god knows...
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby hickybank » July 17th, 2017, 9:16 pm

WHAT!!!!! :o :o :o :o a female doctor, you realize she won`t have a clue when it comes to parking it.
and there is no rear view mirror fitted for her to do her make up in either:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Common sense is not so common
A brain is as strong as it's weakest think
hickybank
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » July 17th, 2017, 9:31 pm

About time. I'm sure she'll be very good.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Hope » July 18th, 2017, 6:16 am

PatsyMFagan wrote:

:? erm, no. I don't watch ITV, and I'm not that keen on detective programmes. It might be brilliant, but just not my thing!

Terry :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: We already know that River Song flies the Tardis better than the Doctor!

(Oh dear, I'm in danger of sounding like a fan!)
Hope
Registered

Postby hickybank » July 18th, 2017, 6:26 am

Hope wrote:
PatsyMFagan wrote:

:? erm, no. I don't watch ITV, and I'm not that keen on detective programmes. It might be brilliant, but just not my thing!

Terry :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: We already know that River Song flies the Tardis better than the Doctor!

(Oh dear, I'm in danger of sounding like a fan!)
YUP :lol: :lol: :lol:
Common sense is not so common
A brain is as strong as it's weakest think
hickybank
Registered

Postby Hope » July 18th, 2017, 6:47 am

:? :lol:

It's an infections disease. I've caught it off the other members of my family. I know loads of stuff about doctor who that a non-fan really shouldn't. Stupid memory, why do you have to remember all this useless stuff, and yet I turn around and forget what I was doing, and I still cannot remember the pin on my credit card!
Hope
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » July 18th, 2017, 7:00 am

There is nothing wrong with being a fan. I am not sure I am a fan anymore though.

I grew up having to hid my obsession with all things sci-fi primarily because I was a girl. Girls didn't like this sort of thing. At least that's changed...
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby Hope » July 18th, 2017, 8:12 am

Really, in comparison to the rest of my family, I'm not a fan. I don't call myself a fan. I enjoy watching it. But I won't go into endless discussions about exactly what happened in which episode and quote lines and endless facts (unless hubby has recently, often repeatedly, told me the same fact about it, so it's in my brain). But I'm not a fan, in that sense. I just enjoy watching it. (at least the modern stuff, but then only once, maybe again some time later. Hubs recently tried to get me to watch some of the old ones and it was ok, but mostly rather tedious!)

I've always considered there are those who enjoy something and then there are fans - as in fanatics! I'm fanatical about design, old wooden furniture, upcycling, plants, insects, nature, but not Dr Who.
Hope
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » July 18th, 2017, 9:54 am

Yes, clearly you are not a fan, but if you were, there would be nothing wrong with it... There are far worse things to be a fan of.

But a fan of anything is potentially a source of boredom to someone who is not interested in that thing, of course.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby suffolk » July 18th, 2017, 10:43 am

We enjoy watching it ... and have done so for most of our lives ... but fans in the 'fanatic' sense of the word ........ no.
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » July 18th, 2017, 10:51 am

I always watch it but to be frank I have very little idea of what is going on. :oops: :oops: :oops:
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby Hope » July 18th, 2017, 10:58 am

I didn't say there was anything wrong with being a fan, just clarifying that I'm not one. And I suppose as everyone else in my house is so fanatical about it, I want to reinforce my identity as someone who watches but isn't a fan. There's so much Dr Who that goes on around here (I mean at home, among my family) that I want to resist. Reminds me of that film Freaks "one of us, one of us!"

I'm going to shut up now!
Hope
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » July 18th, 2017, 11:00 am

That's because the plots are full of holes, which they think they can cover up with lots of fast action, PP :D

I was on a writing course with an ex DW writer who was still in touch with Steven Moffat. Apparently he agonized about the 'show' throughout his period of producing it. The episodes he wrote are, though, perhaps the best ones, but even so...
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » July 18th, 2017, 11:07 am

Hope wrote: as in fanatics! I'm fanatical about design, old wooden furniture, upcycling,

Have you found the series call 'New Reclaimers' on Home (freeview?) channels Hope ? And yesterday I found another one - similar to Salvage Hunters (on Quest) but a bit more up market .... :)
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby scullion » July 18th, 2017, 11:19 am

Postby hickybank » July 17th, 2017, 10:16 pm
you realize she won`t have a clue when it comes to parking it.

from what i gather the tardis is referred to by the doctor as female - and she parks herself.
the doctor seems to have no choice in the matter - 'she' is in charge and is the constant!
scullion
Registered

Postby Hope » July 18th, 2017, 11:22 am

PatsyMFagan wrote:
Hope wrote: as in fanatics! I'm fanatical about design, old wooden furniture, upcycling,

Have you found the series call 'New Reclaimers' on Home (freeview?) channels Hope ? And yesterday I found another one - similar to Salvage Hunters (on Quest) but a bit more up market .... :)

I've not. We don't really have any broadcast tv, I watch everything online. Can't seem to get the hang of scheduled tv now, it's never on at the right time, and I don't care enough to get the right tech for it! Just looked it up - it's on way too late for me!
Hope
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » July 18th, 2017, 11:32 am

Hope wrote:Can't seem to get the hang of scheduled tv now, it's never on at the right time, and I don't care enough to get the right tech for it! Just looked it up - it's on way too late for me!

lol, I'm the opposite ...I hate having to resort to watching anything online (can't hear it very well for one thing :( ) :aww: :? At least I can set my hard drive to record anything that I can't watch at the time ;) I also don't have to fight for tv time with anyone else in the house :tu:
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby Hope » July 18th, 2017, 11:37 am

And the other problem is if I watch tv during the day (ie - the only time I can get it to myself!) I have to sit on the sofa, and therefore I'm quite likely to fall asleep!
Hope
Registered

Postby scullion » July 18th, 2017, 12:55 pm

Pepper Pig wrote: to be frank I have very little idea of what is going on.

it comes to us all!
scullion
Registered

Postby StokeySue » July 18th, 2017, 2:09 pm

PatsyMFagan wrote:I hate having to resort to watching anything online (can't hear it very well for one thing )

Pat, for logistical reasons I ended up having to watch Broadchurch S3 Ep1 on my tablet.
Didn't think I'd be able to see it but it was OK
But what amazed me was listening to it through my stereo headphones. I could hear every tiny sound effect, really made up for a couple of underlit passages, seems they do pay attention to having good sound when the screen goes dark. Will be looking into using them with my TV :tu:
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Busybee » July 18th, 2017, 2:20 pm

Pepper Pig wrote:I always watch it but to be frank I have very little idea of what is going on. :oops: :oops: :oops:

I love Dr Who, but as I've said before how children can understand it is beyond me. I really should go back to the beginning of the new stuff and rewatch, I completely lost the plot around Amy Pond Riversong era and still haven't worked it all out. I tend to just watch the individual episodes as stand alone.

on a side note, I think the weeping angels are the scariest of all 'monsters' I had a horrific nightmare about them coming down the ward at work to get me, and everyone morning after when I went into work (I was often first in) I used to run down the ward corridor throw myself through my office door and not come out until I heard others around me, I was late 40's at this point :oops:

BB
Busybee
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » July 18th, 2017, 6:25 pm

StokeySue wrote:But what amazed me was listening to it through my stereo headphones. I could hear every tiny sound effect, really made up for a couple of underlit passages, seems they do pay attention to having good sound when the screen goes dark. Will be looking into using them with my TV

I never thought of using headphones :aww: doh :oops:
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby suffolk » July 18th, 2017, 6:31 pm

Busybee wrote:I think the weeping angels are the scariest of all 'monsters

Totally totally agree :scared: :scared: :scared:
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby StokeySue » July 18th, 2017, 7:42 pm

I nearly hid behind the sofa for the weeping angels :terrified:
Grown up? What grown up?
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby liketocook » July 18th, 2017, 7:48 pm

The weeping angels are scary but the Cybermen still rank as the scariest for me - even the ones from early days that are clearly tinfoil and cardboard :oops: . the stormtroopers from StarWars also give me the squirms.......
liketocook
Registered

Postby StokeySue » July 18th, 2017, 7:50 pm

I think the angels touch a nerve here as my bedroom overlooks a cemetery park that is full of 'em (or similar) :D :D
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » July 19th, 2017, 3:56 am

I will be watching with interest. I have always been a big fan but don't always find the time to sit still long enough from start to finish. I will make sure that I catch the whole of episode one.
I still miss my cats...loads
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby Hope » July 19th, 2017, 6:09 am

The weeping angels are so scary. The first episode was one of the best bits of tv ever.

The cybermen really creep me out too. Daleks (watched from behind the sofa as a child) now I just think they are a bit meh!
Hope
Registered

Postby StokeySue » July 19th, 2017, 7:37 am

The sofa came into play for the Zarbi (7 foot ants) which terrified me but Dad found them funny
I do remember him saying he would give a prize to any designer who built a monster without a pentadactyl limb (i.e. with nothing like a human hand)
ETA obviously Zarbi don't have five digit hands, but as they are pretty accurate copies of ordinary ants they weren't invented by the designer), don't meet the criteria
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby aero280 » July 19th, 2017, 9:12 am

I have watched the odd episode of Dr Who, but the only series I watched in total was the first one with William Hartnell.
http://www.saabtechtalk.com/
aero280
Site Admin

Postby Pepper Pig » August 22nd, 2017, 2:30 pm

Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby suffolk » August 22nd, 2017, 2:32 pm

Well ............. I'm not his biggest fan, but the writers and producers rarely put a foot wrong so I'm prepared to be convinced.
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby StokeySue » August 22nd, 2017, 2:49 pm

I'm a little phased by the idea of Bradley and Matt Lucas as a double act, it'll either be great or ,well, not. Assuming Nardole returns and is not permenently cut off by the Cybermen?
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby suffolk » August 22nd, 2017, 3:09 pm

Didn't I read somewhere that Matt Lucas isn't in this series ...? :(
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby suffolk » August 22nd, 2017, 3:18 pm

............. hmmm .... can't find anything via Google .......... maybe I dreamt it ...............
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby StokeySue » August 22nd, 2017, 3:20 pm

suffolk wrote:Didn't I read somewhere that Matt Lucas isn't in this series ...? :(

That's what I'm not clear about, I think Chibnall is deliberately obfuscating
The impression is that he's not coming back immediately, but could crop up again as a recurrent character, as we know he's something of an escapologist; but nothing concrete
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » August 22nd, 2017, 5:10 pm

I never watch Dr Who, but thought Bradley Walsh was brilliant in Law and Order UK :tu:
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby Busybee » August 23rd, 2017, 1:22 am

I follow Matt Lucas on twitter, I don't think he has said anything explicitly but infers he isn't in this series.

BB
Busybee
Registered

Next

Return to TV and Radio