Top of the Shop

A place to discuss Food TV and radio programmes.

Top of the Shop

Postby Pepper Pig » April 17th, 2018, 4:30 am

This starts tonight, BBC2 at 8. I'm not sure whether it will be any good but I am interested because about 5 years we stayed on the farm where it is filmed. It's in Malhamdale a few miles outside Skipton. The cottage and the views were wonderful. Although we liked the set-up of the farm shop and the tea rooms we never actually bought anything that tasted particularly special there. The bacon was very ordinary (and pumped with water) and the lamb chops we bought weren't up to much. Expensive too but very picturesque. ;)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0b090vm
Pepper Pig
Registered

Re: Top of the Shop

Postby StokeySue » April 17th, 2018, 7:07 am

Worth a try I think

QI moment of the day: Top of the Shop in Moroccan is - <drumroll> - ras el hanout!
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » April 17th, 2018, 7:21 am

Looks a watchable programme ... and I didn't know that Sue. Love the little snippets we pick up here!
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » April 17th, 2018, 7:28 am

http://holiday-cottages-malhamdale.co.uk/

We stayed in Cove View. The farmer owned the cottages but he had either sold or leased the farm shop to somebody else.
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » April 17th, 2018, 4:15 pm

I will be watching but will be averting my eyes away from Tom's always smiling face. He must get face ache! Looking forward to it nonetheless but that could because there isn't much else on. Wait with baited breath. The trailer doesn't look too good but we could be pleasantly surprised.
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » April 17th, 2018, 9:23 pm

I became very bored very quickly with this one and went off and did something more interesting instead. Too much jam! I love jam but I ended up with tooth ache! :lol:
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby StokeySue » April 17th, 2018, 9:37 pm

Err no jam, it was chutney week!
I wasn massively excited either.
I don't think I expected it to be right down at the level where they could barely fill a stall at a local fete. I wouldn't have minded a gardener's brunch or some papaya chutney though
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby scullion » April 17th, 2018, 11:39 pm

i saw the last few minutes and from what you're saying i didn't miss anything! i had the feeling i hadn't missed a masterpiece.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/gard ... unch_51130
there are recipes online for the filipino papaya pickle - i didn't see it in the programme so i can't tell if they are similar.
scullion
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » April 18th, 2018, 4:10 am

I think much of it just came down to personality in the end. The couple who won were enthusiastic and very nice, the London lady was very irritating and the peanut butter couple didn’t seem to have much drive or imagination. The Philipino girl was lovely and the recipe was right up my street but not sure it was the sort of thing that went down well there. The majority of the trade is passing cyclists and walkers.

I was also confused as to what they were aiming for. Two of the products, the runner bean chutney and the jelly, were made from home grown products so presumably have a finite number of jars to market.

Episode 2 is tonight. Cheese!
Last edited by Pepper Pig on April 18th, 2018, 7:46 am, edited 2 times in total.
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby smitch » April 18th, 2018, 5:40 am

I think someone who lives locally is on at some point with marshmallows. She posted on our town Facebook page to say they filmed a bit here so I may watch it.
smitch
Registered

Postby Suelle » April 18th, 2018, 6:15 am

I thought a peanut butter producer was a strange choice for the competition - surely people expect 'artisan' products to be made from at least some local produce?

As Jude says - neither the chutney nor apple and chilli jelly would be viable as a large scale production, without changes, as the supply of ingredients is limited to garden produce at the moment.
Suelle
Global Moderator

Postby Suelle » April 18th, 2018, 8:57 pm

There was a perhaps not unexpected consequence of watching an hour of cheese tasting - I had to dash to the kitchen to prepare a plate of cheese and crackers! :lol: :chops:
Suelle
Global Moderator

Postby Pepper Pig » April 19th, 2018, 4:20 am

Suelle wrote:There was a perhaps not unexpected consequence of watching an hour of cheese tasting - I had to dash to the kitchen to prepare a plate of cheese and crackers! :lol: :chops:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Well that blew my theory about personality! The woman who won seemed to have very little. Couldn't quite see why a man with only one goat was going for the big time. I think I may be missing something. :oops:
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » April 19th, 2018, 6:51 am

I too had a fat craving for the Tickler I have in my fridge during and after watching, somehow managed to resist.

I really enjoyed the episode, although there were slightly annoying moments, such as Cheddar woman suggesting her cheese works with honey but not thinking to offer a dish of honey until it was pointed out. I agree, why the one-goat-man was chosen for the competition was beyond me, although his set up was fascinating, and his cafe dish looked inedible! The choice of winner surprised me. The two cow's milk cheese producers should have been fighting for top spot and at one point I thought they were, then goat lady got it. I must have missed something there.

Rosie :luv:

I might have cheese and chutney toastie for lunch!
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby Suelle » April 19th, 2018, 6:57 am

I think in the end the choice was between the two who had a viable business - ie the two who already had dairies - and I think between those two, the judges liked the goat's cheese more.

It was mentioned by several customers that they thought cheddar cheese should come from Cheddar, particularly at an artisan level, so that might have influenced the judges too.
Suelle
Global Moderator

Postby TeresaFoodie » April 19th, 2018, 8:20 am

Yes, I was a bit perplexed as to how Cheddar could have been part of that cheese name.
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby StokeySue » April 19th, 2018, 8:45 am

Cheddaring is a process
If you make cheese by cheddaring, the end result is a cheddar cheese
The PDO for cheddar from the Cheddar region is West Country Farmhouse Cheddar

I've always thought it was clever to call a good cheddar style cheese Lincolnshire Poacher , no refence to the cheddar in the name so it stands alone (and the name is memorable because of the song, and you could say they have poached the method)
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » April 19th, 2018, 8:54 am

The problem with this programme is that it is an essentially a 30 or 40 minute programme expanded to fit a 60 minute slot
When life gives you lemons, make sorbet
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby scullion » April 19th, 2018, 9:27 am

missed it in total, yesterday.
scullion
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » April 19th, 2018, 12:30 pm

StokeySue wrote:I've always thought it was clever to call a good cheddar style cheese Lincolnshire Poacher , no refence to the cheddar in the name so it stands alone (and the name is memorable because of the song, and you could say they have poached the method)

To our generation and older maybe. I doubt many younger than us would get the musical reference. My (very musical) sister who is 58 certainly didn't. Songs like that haven't been taught in schools since Singing Together stopped on the Home Service. ;)
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby StokeySue » April 19th, 2018, 12:33 pm

I don know it from school but from an adolescence mispent in folk clubs, and family singing in the car
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » April 19th, 2018, 12:53 pm

cyprusmoira wrote:The problem with this programme is that it is an essentially a 30 or 40 minute programme expanded to fit a 60 minute slot

That's the format of most programmes these days Moira so that they can be re-sold to the cable channels, be edited and have adverts slotted in. My niece and my son's girlfriend both work for independent production companies who do this sort of show.
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » April 19th, 2018, 1:09 pm

...and with the annoying delay before they announce the winner ! :( :evil: :td:
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » April 24th, 2018, 9:35 pm

I thoroughly enjoyed the sweetie episode tonight. It seemed to me the four contestants finished in the right order with the over all winner being miles ahead throughout.

Next episode - chilli sauces I think!? Lovely!

I wonder if, like Masterchef, we will get to see eventually how semi finalists and the winner carry their businesses through to bigger and better things. I do hope so!

Did anyone else really crave chocolate whilst watching? I somehow managed to push through the urge and resist a Topic bar I have in the fridge. Where did that willpower come from? :lol:
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » April 25th, 2018, 12:28 pm

I would much rather have had a piece of the marshmallow !!!!!
Je pense, donc je suis. - Decartes
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » April 25th, 2018, 8:24 pm

Tonight’s was a bit weird. I’m not sure I could compare hot chilli sauce with salted caramel. :o

I think the paella one looked very good though. :hungry:
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » April 25th, 2018, 9:19 pm

Out of all four I would have chosen to cook with the paella sauce. Very original. Too many varieties of the other sauces available on the market i.e. nothing special. The caramel sauce tasters with meringue made my teeth hurt. I did find myself wanting to try the chilli sauce, but his cooking method along with curry sauce lady's looked quite basic.

The best lady won. I think the size of her prawns in the tea shop deserve some of the credit for that!
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Return to TV and Radio