Great British Sewing Bee

A place to discuss Food TV and radio programmes.

Great British Sewing Bee

Postby Monnikka » February 15th, 2014, 7:41 am

Did any of you watch and enjoy this programme last spring? The second series starts on Tuesday with the same delectable presenter Patrick Grant http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patrick_Grant_%28designer%29

Catch it if you can!
Monnikka
Registered

Re: Great British Sewing Bee

Postby suffolk » February 15th, 2014, 7:45 am

Yes, I loved the first series and am looking forward to next Tuesday :D
“One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.”
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby Busybee » February 15th, 2014, 7:45 am

Ditto what Suffs said! :lol:

BB
Busybee
Registered

Postby Marmalade » February 15th, 2014, 8:08 am

Having made every curtain and cushion since I've been married, fancy dress for my daughters, spent at least 14 years making costumes for school plays, items of everyday clothing for myself since I was 12 and the girls since they were born, a Christening robe for my own daughters in addition to 4 others for friends and (my pièce de résistance) No. 1 daughter's wedding dress, I considered I 'wasn't bad' at sewing - then I watched the first series of GBSB and ... quickly revised my opinion. Give me a pattern (or in the case of the wedding dress, 4 patterns and put together different elements from each and, after at least 3 toiles, bring it together into one cohesive whole), and I'm fine, ask me to tailor it to fit someone in a few hours and I'd just panic.
Marmalade
Registered

Postby Monnikka » February 15th, 2014, 1:48 pm

Ditto all the above! I considered myself 'a dressmaker with talent' but I could never have worked as fast as the people on last year's programme without making a complete pig's ear of it!

They are currently recruiting for series 3.
Monnikka
Registered

Postby suffolk » February 15th, 2014, 2:37 pm

Snap! Love sewing, have made hundreds of outfits for myself, children, am-dram productions, plus soft furnishings, curtains, blinds etc for years and years until I returned to full-time working.

I've recently had my sewing machine serviced and am raring to get going - when I've done those other jobs that have to be done first :roll:
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » February 15th, 2014, 3:21 pm

I watched some of the first series and was totally in awe of those who took part :kneel: :kneel:

Sewing is one of those things I quite like doing but have no flair for. Recently I have been considering learning quilting and patchwork, I would love to do it well - measuring and getting things straight is something I am not very good at. I did make many of my clothes and all my daughter's clothes for some years and basic curtains etc. However, I have only ever used a hand sewing machine. I tried an electric one at school once, put my foot down on the pedal and went too fast with disastrous results. We had a hand sewing machine at home and I inherited my grandmother's hand sewing machine which has now been in regular use since 1918. As I can drive a car I'm sure I could use an electric machine and would love the opportunity to use a variety of stitches.

As for just rustling something together without a pattern ... :terrified:
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby suffolk » February 15th, 2014, 3:23 pm

:idea: Our first project - a wedding frock for Purps?

Shall I get my coat .................... :oops:
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby Seatallan » February 15th, 2014, 5:16 pm

I can't sew to save my life. I wish I could. My mum was a brilliant seamstress and she could knit for England too. My sister could sew really well. I only inherited the ability to cook unfortunately. :(
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby sueturnersmith » February 15th, 2014, 10:16 pm

earthmaiden wrote:I tried an electric one at school once, put my foot down on the pedal and went too fast with disastrous results.

I used to have the same problem until I discovered that if you sew with bare feet you have more feel and control over the pedal.

I've done a lot of sewing in the past, but not seen this programme before. What channel is it on, and what time?
I'm as old as my tongue and a little bit older than my teeth!
sueturnersmith
Global Moderator

Postby Monnikka » February 16th, 2014, 8:03 am

BBC 2, 8.00 pm :P

Last time they started with easy projects and the last was an evening dress.
Monnikka
Registered

Postby miss mouse » February 16th, 2014, 8:53 am

earthmaiden wrote: I tried an electric one at school once, put my foot down on the pedal and went too fast with disastrous results.

I think that the pedals have improved significantly, many were poorly designed in the past.
miss mouse
Registered

Postby amazing » February 16th, 2014, 9:01 am

I reverse the foot and use my heel to work it. Much easier than using your toe.
Winter is the time for comfort, for good food and warmth, for the touch of a friendly hand and for a talk beside the fire: it is the time for home.
(Edith Sitwell)
amazing
Registered

Postby uschi » February 16th, 2014, 9:23 am

I still need to find time for a sewing course. :oops: :oops: :oops:
uschi
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » February 16th, 2014, 11:00 am

sueturnersmith wrote:
earthmaiden wrote:I tried an electric one at school once, put my foot down on the pedal and went too fast with disastrous results.

I used to have the same problem until I discovered that if you sew with bare feet you have more feel and control over the pedal.

This is what I do when I am using my sewing machine - I just can't use the pedal with shoes/slippers on ... It makes a big difference to the amount of control. :tu:
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby StokeySue » February 16th, 2014, 12:44 pm

looking forward to it
A member of our local WI committee is one of the people who sets the tasks and advises the programme makers, and she brought Tilly from the first series to speak to us, it was a good evening, Tilly is very likeable
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » February 17th, 2014, 9:08 am

Well, I'll have to have another try, perhaps I can have lessons with L plates :lol:

A friend whose whole life has been devoted to things related to textiles and sewing went on a patchwork course at Denman College (WI) recently. She said that her skills were nothing like as good as some of the others on the course but that you could work at your own pace and skill level. I had considered going on one (don't currently belong to WI but you don't have to) but think I'd need to brush up on basic skills first!
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Marmalade » February 17th, 2014, 4:07 pm

earthmaiden wrote: I tried an electric one at school once, put my foot down on the pedal and went too fast with disastrous results.

What I did with my daughters, was to put an old needle in the machine, no thread and a piece of fine glass paper under the foot and just let them 'play' and make lots of holes in the paper. This had two beneficial effects, it helped them to learn how much pressure to put on the foot pedal and sharpened some old needles into the bargain!
Marmalade
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » February 17th, 2014, 8:22 pm

:lol: :lol:
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby FoodMary » February 18th, 2014, 10:31 am

When I was a struggling young officer's wife I made all my own clothes, including suits with lining, ball gowns, cocktail dresses and skirts and blouses. When Ian came along I also made all his baby clothes - except the ones that were gifts.

I still have a very good sewing machine and my aim for next Winter is to buy fabric and patterns as living up in the mountains for so long I only have one skirt and two dresses all the rest are trousers, blouses and sweaters. Now I am back in "polite" society I feel that maybe my clothes should be a little more feminine :lol:

Mary J
I even dream about food!
FoodMary
Registered

Postby ianinfrance » February 18th, 2014, 3:02 pm

Jacquie loves making clothes, sewing, knitting and the rest. She'll be glued to it. I'll be on my computer!!
--
All the best
Ian
http://www.souvigne.com
The Earth is degenerating today. Bribery and corruption abound. Children no longer obey their parents, every man wants to write a book, and it is evident that the end of the world is fast approaching.
ianinfrance
Global Moderator

Postby Monnikka » February 19th, 2014, 6:33 pm

I enjoyed the program, if understated. Poor old guy who had to leave. Was he ill or did he feel overwhelmed?
Monnikka
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » February 20th, 2014, 10:50 am

I had already thought that his sewing wasn't up to the standard of the others .....the cynical side of me says he chose illness as a way of opting out, the sympathetic side of me says that he was probably feeling off colour from the start. Still at least that meant that the others all got to stay in. I think the black girl showed a great talent in design if not in technique.
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby Monnikka » February 20th, 2014, 2:44 pm

Yes. I agree. The black girl has some talent which may well be tempted out to give her first spot. The young lad (David?) developed during the evening too. I think it will be between them.
Monnikka
Registered

Postby tezza » February 20th, 2014, 7:24 pm

Dressmaking, sewing and knitting absolutely daunt me courtesy I think of our horrendously horrible needlework teacher at school. I couldn't use a sewing machine to save a life. I remember a particularly horrible lesson where not only was the teacher being particularly vile to me, but two bullies were stalking me around the classroom with a pair of scissors threatening to cut chunks out of my hair. No wonder it put me off!

Although I have over the years loved creating amazing pictures in cross stitch and tapestry. So therapeutic! I must learn how to frame them all!

Anyway, that aside, I wasn't interested in this thread until I saw Claudia on The One Show and some snippets of the show and it looks quite interesting. So I will give it a watch next week.
tezza
Registered

Postby amazing » February 20th, 2014, 7:29 pm

Tezza do get a professional framer to frame your crossstitch and tapestry. Unless you have the proper equipment you will never make a good job.
Winter is the time for comfort, for good food and warmth, for the touch of a friendly hand and for a talk beside the fire: it is the time for home.
(Edith Sitwell)
amazing
Registered

Postby tezza » February 20th, 2014, 8:09 pm

amazing wrote:Tezza do get a professional framer to frame your crossstitch and tapestry. Unless you have the proper equipment you will never make a good job.

Yes I know but it is so expensive and you should see the amount I need to get framed! I have always wanted to learn properly how to frame and get the equipment too. It's probably never going to happen so no doubt I'll end up getting a professional to do it one day when I have some spare cash. The first one I ever get done with be a cross stitch on black aida called Moonlight Kittens. It almost crippled my eyes making it so for that reason, plus the fact that it is beautiful, it does need to be up on a wall somewhere.
Last edited by tezza on February 20th, 2014, 8:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tezza
Registered

Postby tezza » March 11th, 2014, 8:17 pm

I have just been watching tonight's episode, and although I have always been quite patient with cross-stitch, have never got on with pattern cutting and using a sewing machine, so wondered if a little part time course might be good, as I quite fancy making my own clothes. Nothing on the high street ever tickles my fancy clothes wise!

I saw this sewing course advertised at a local college. Has anyone been on anything similar?
tezza
Registered

Postby mogatogs » March 11th, 2014, 9:06 pm

Tezza

Just looked at that course and in my opinion it looks more for more advanced sewers - I did a basic sewing course years ago to brush up my basic skills that I had learnt at school and from watching/helping my Mum - I can follow a pattern etc but would find creating a pattern too daunting.
mogatogs
Registered

Postby suffolk » March 12th, 2014, 5:11 am

Drat - missed the programme! Think I set up a series link ...........

Re courses, there are quite a few fabric shops setting up courses in basic dressmaking and use of sewing machines etc - have a look and see what's about. Or of course there are the fantastic courses and Day Schools at Denham College http://www.denmancollege.org.uk/courses ... ressmaking

The course you linked to appears to be designed for those who want to work in the fashion production industry.
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby StokeySue » March 12th, 2014, 7:15 am

I agree with Suffs - that's a course for fairly experienced people moving up to professional standard of pattern cutting

Although one contestant on Sewing Bee does it, very few home sewers cut complex patterns, better to do a beginner's course that will teach you to make up bought pattern (which you can customise) and then move on to pattern cutting if it still appeals

If you look around there are often weekend workshops where you do one thing, such as making a simple skirt or top under instruction, so you could have a taster without committing to a full course
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » March 12th, 2014, 9:10 am

I have been sewing since I was a poor student - but I also had an auntie who was a talented seamstress and she did the complicated things like wedding dresses and ball gowns for all her nieces. I really took off when we went to teach in the West Indies taking with me a gift from Auntie - her old hand singer machine (we didn't have electricity).
Apart from soft furnishings and table linen I haven't done a much recently but Sewing Bee has inspired me and the machine is out again and I am making some maxi dresses for the summer.

i know how to knit but haven't the patience.
Je pense, donc je suis. - Decartes
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby scullion » March 12th, 2014, 10:06 am

According to the link the course has been cancelled anyway so the dilemma is academic. However, I would check up on your local evening class supplier who, I would imagine, would have a course for basic dressmaking. The description of the curriculum was rather ambiguous as to the level it was aimed at. It wouldn't occur to me to teach pattern cutting before teaching types of seams and their uses and machine techniques.
It could be that their first lessons aren't in 'pattern cutting' but more likely 'cutting out a pattern' - which would be a more sensible progression - but as the course isn't on this a bit of pointless speculation.
If you are disciplined enough to teach yourself, or don't have the dosh to outlay on a course, the readers digest book of sewing ( also the needlework, and sewing and knitting ones) take the beginner through to more advanced techniques in a clear and thorough style. They can often be picked up at charity shops for a pittance.
I was quite amazed last night by the contestants saying that they'd never done a flat fell seam before, but then I suppose I shouldn't be surprised as I had to teach a textile technician at uni how to use the blind hem stitch on a machine for its correct purpose - she had thought it was just another decorative stitch!
It has occurred to me though, that in the sewing bee programme, they allow just slightly too little time to do the job to the contestants normal standard in order to spread the standard of the finished garments.
scullion
Registered

Postby Monnikka » March 19th, 2014, 2:24 pm

What gruesome tasks the contestants were set last night! Some succeeded surprisingly well while others failed spectacularly.

Only three more programmes to go. :(
Monnikka
Registered

Postby Busybee » March 19th, 2014, 6:39 pm

I think it could be anyone's to win. I think Chinelo is a shoe in for the final but couldn't call the other finalists. The last couple of weeks has really turned things on their head, with some unexpected eliminations.

Enjoying it even more this series, especially the fashion history bit, claudia winkleman at her zaniest best.

BB
Busybee
Registered

Postby Monnikka » March 20th, 2014, 7:32 am

I think it is between Chinelo and Lynda with probably Lynda winning overall.
Monnikka
Registered

Postby Busybee » March 20th, 2014, 4:44 pm

I have just seen advertised two supplements in this weekends Telegraph, Make, Stitch and Sew. Published as an accompaniment to the Great British Sewing Bee.

Might be of interest to someone.

BB
Busybee
Registered

Postby Annie » March 20th, 2014, 5:23 pm

Sewed my first garment when I was 12 at school a pinafore in a black and white dogtooth check .

Sewn many things since then but nothing like a wedding dress, I take my hat off to you for that.

Do a sewing group on a Wednesday afternoon. Most recent project has been t make cushions for an oak rocking chair bought from the auction house for £10. used foam from my old knackered suite to make the seat cushion and bought some for the back.

Currently embarking on summer PJs and a long dressing gown/bathrobe all monogrammed for daughter and then a set for myself, followed by winter PJs that will match too.

I was taught at a very young age to make my own patterns from newspaper. apparently they made their own patterns in the war using things like news papers and my mother was then taught by her aunts (Grandma would never have been able to do this).

Both her sisters were/are incredibly talented and one worked as a seamstress till she died in the 80s and the other was a tailoress for Paramount studios and the BBC on period costume dramas until she retired 20+ years ago. She made my wedding dress by combining several different patterns. She also had many contacts in the business and actually got them to make a custom made piece of lace for around the base of my dress.
Thanks, Annie
Annie
Registered

Postby Annie » March 20th, 2014, 5:27 pm

Love both Chinelo and Lynda's work I hope one of those two win.

The tasks set this season seem much more difficult than the first lot. plus the imagination put into the altering round is way above ast years lot.

Also agree the retiring because of illness seems like a cop out especially as a lady did that in the first round in the first series too. Although we will never know and I suppose they should be given the benefit of the doubt.
Thanks, Annie
Annie
Registered

Postby StokeySue » March 20th, 2014, 5:58 pm

Jane in the first series was certainly ill from what I heard

And I suppose a panic attack is a kind of illness, if that was the problem, though it seems odd that a Buddhist chaplain wouldn't be able to sail serenely on. so maybe there was something else as well.
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Lokelani » March 22nd, 2014, 7:17 pm

I did dressmaking o'level at school & have learned roman blinds/curtains etc from library books since. I've just made my first patchwork quilt too!

I sometimes make clothes, but am usually disappointed with the fit or style on me. It's not as if you end up buying everything you take into a changing room to try on in the shops, you don't get to see it on you before it's nearly made when you do it yourself! School dressmaking & even a quick course I did at a college only taught how to use a basic pattern, nothing about complicated pattern alterations. All patterns are cut for a B cup I think, if you just make a top a bigger size you just end up with gaping armholes & the size all in the wrong places. That's the sort of thing I find tricky & wanted to learn from the college course, but it was a hands on workshop & you were lucky to get 5 mins with the teacher each week.

I tried last summer to make a pattern from a top that fitted really well & I didn't want to unpick it to open the darts, but trying to work it out was a nightmare, really mathematical & brain twisting! It ended up wearable, but only just!

I think the contestants are all amazing & just so confident with so many processes. I think the difference is they sew all the time, I do it so infrequently that I have to get my school folder out with my notes & examples when I want to set in a zip or do a fancy seam or some process I've forgotten. Or use You Tube tutorials!

It's lovely to hear so many of you sew, we only talk about food normally! I knit too & am just learning crochet. Wonder if there'll ever be a knitting competition on TV?!
Lokelani
Registered

Postby Shrimp » March 25th, 2014, 9:40 am

I can sew I have an "O" level that says so :lol: I bought a sewing machine 2 years ago with the intention of initially making curtains, and cushions covers when I retired. We now have blinds at the window.
I think I've shortened six pairs of trousers and that's it, it takes me longer to thread the machine due to lack of practice than it would to make the alterations by hand. I have admiration for people who can make their own outfits. As you will guess I haven't watched the programme.
Shrimp
Registered

Postby Busybee » March 26th, 2014, 4:16 pm

Not surprised that David went last night, but thought he had done so well staying in so long. In the beginning I thought he would only last a couple of weeks.

I loved some of the coats last night, especially Chinelo and Lynda's. Very swishy.

I wonder who will go next week?

BB
Busybee
Registered

Postby 4dogsagain » August 25th, 2014, 6:19 pm

I've been watching this on satellite t.v., and loved the programme. Here is my latest sewing effort: a dress for my God-daughter to wear in her school play. It was hard to make, as the spangled net is overlaid on satin. But I did it!
I had no real pattern; just a drawing to work from. I cut the bodice from a Burda magazine pattern, and made a toile to ensure fit. The skirt I cut 'freehand', just semicircular with darts.

mon 24004.jpg

mon 24005.jpg

mon 24007.jpg
Don't stop doing things because you are growing old; you only grow old if you stop doing things.
4dogsagain
Registered

Postby Mamta » August 26th, 2014, 7:02 am

That dress looks very nice :tu:
I too loved the last series, is it on again?
I started stitching when I was quite young, starting from making handkerchiefs. People of my generation did in India of 1950-60s. I made most of my own clothes for a long time. Our clever mother used to say that if we stitched ourselves, we could have two sets of clothes, if we got a tailor to do it, we could have only one! As teenagers, we always went for number in the days when people didn't keep as many clothes as now. I used to make all the dresses for my girls and myself, even making embroidered dresses. Only things I made with a pattern were simple coats/wraps or skirts/trousers. For dresses/Indian suits, the pattern was an existing dress. I still occasionally make curtains, though not often. My machine is now used mainly for repairs or taking in or out things :( !
Last edited by Mamta on August 26th, 2014, 7:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mamta
Registered

Postby Monnikka » October 15th, 2014, 1:35 pm

There will be three episodes of Celebrity GBSB on BBC2 in aid of Children in Need http://www.thesewingdirectory.co.uk/news/2014/10/10/celebrity-great-british-sewing-bee/
Monnikka
Registered

Postby suffolk » October 15th, 2014, 2:07 pm

Hurrah! :D
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby Monnikka » January 27th, 2015, 2:09 pm

It's back! BBC2 8pm Thursday, 5th February.

Yay!
Monnikka
Registered

Postby suffolk » January 27th, 2015, 2:17 pm

Putting it in my diary :D

Edited to say: I shall have to record it - we have tickets for the theatre to see Count Arthur Strong 8-)
Last edited by suffolk on January 27th, 2015, 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby ianinfrance » January 27th, 2015, 3:55 pm

Jacquie's already programmed our decoder to record all episodes. :lol:
--
All the best
Ian
http://www.souvigne.com
The Earth is degenerating today. Bribery and corruption abound. Children no longer obey their parents, every man wants to write a book, and it is evident that the end of the world is fast approaching.
ianinfrance
Global Moderator

Next

Return to TV and Radio