Rick Steins Weekends away

A place to discuss Food TV and radio programmes.

Rick Steins Weekends away

Postby Zosherooney » January 19th, 2017, 6:44 pm

Anyone watching, this is 2nd time around but still good anyway....? Last night he was in Palermo Sicily and made these - or very similar http://www.deliciousdays.com/archives/2 ... s-panelle/.

We thought we might have a go and wondered if anyone else has any experience of them ??? :chops:
Zosherooney
Registered

Re: Rick Steins Weekends away

Postby Suelle » January 19th, 2017, 7:54 pm

I liked the way the Duchess set the chickpea purée in a tin, and pushed it out slowly so that it could be thinly sliced. He mentioned fennel seeds were the usual additional flavour locally.
Suelle
Global Moderator

Postby suffolk » January 19th, 2017, 9:21 pm

I'm enjoying this - somehow I issued if the first time around. Loved the Lisbon episode :D
“One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.”
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » January 20th, 2017, 10:04 am

Zosherooney wrote:Anyone watching, this is 2nd time around but still good anyway....? Last night he was in Palermo Sicily and made these - or very similar http://www.deliciousdays.com/archives/2 ... s-panelle/.

We thought we might have a go and wondered if anyone else has any experience of them ??? :chops:

I loved the look of them too and thought I would like to have a go .. also loved the street food market :tu:

Suelle wrote:I liked the way the Duchess set the chickpea purée in a tin, and pushed it out slowly so that it could be thinly sliced. He mentioned fennel seeds were the usual additional flavour locally.

I haven't looked online, but do you think there are recipes somewhere ? I apart from the chick pea flour (gram ?) and fennel seeds, I can't remember what the liquid was, or proportions :(
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » January 20th, 2017, 4:03 pm

I did look online and some of the other ways of shaping the gram flour mix seemed messy, but yes, thought I might try it with a washed out baked bean tin and either a sharp knife or a piece of kitchen string.

Fennel is fast becoming my new favourite herb, it is so fresh and green tasting. I think that cumin would work as well.
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby suffolk » January 20th, 2017, 4:20 pm

The Book People have the hardback book of the series for £11:99 reduced from £25 at the moment.
“One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.”
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby StokeySue » January 20th, 2017, 5:10 pm

Only £10 on Amazon (with Prime)
But look at the reviews, the consensus seems to be that it s good, but it is, oddly not ordered accursing to destination but as Fridsay Nght Supper, Saturday brunch etc.

And people seem to think that the recipes aren't exactly what he did on screen

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Rick-Steins-Long-Weekends-Stein-ebook/dp/B01K9DTB9I/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1484931470&sr=1-1&keywords=rick+stein+long+weekends
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » January 22nd, 2017, 4:24 pm

The other recipe he watched being made was the 'pasta cake' like this recipe....https://www.rickstein.com/blog/recipes- ... s-palermo/. I have just spent time putting one together. Hope we like it because there is enough to feed an army....... Now that may be a way of keeping them quiet !!!!! Boy they have been loud earlier today, can't see any cracks in the double glazing.

I did mine with lamb mince and large pasta. It is sitting in the garage cooling down, I will oven bake it on Tue/Wed. :chops:
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » January 23rd, 2017, 9:13 am

I clicked on the link you provided Zosh, but it came up with a list of recipes (that I didn't recall being shown :? ) but nothing about the 'pasta cake' :? :td:
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » January 23rd, 2017, 9:19 am

Sorry Patsy, you have to go to the comments at the bottom then scroll down to the right one.
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby Catherine » January 23rd, 2017, 11:59 am

PatsyMFagan wrote:I clicked on the link you provided Zosh, but it came up with a list of recipes (that I didn't recall being shown :? ) but nothing about the 'pasta cake' :? :td:

I copied and pasted it to your private messages on Facebook
Catherine
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » January 23rd, 2017, 12:46 pm

Received Catherine - thanks so much :) :tu:
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » January 23rd, 2017, 3:01 pm

Our pasta cake is just about to come out of the oven, I cooked it in my springform tin, do hope it set with a crusty aubergine topping. Also did not have marsala only cremovo - apparently marsala wine and egg.

Thanks Catherine, I thought it would copy.
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » January 24th, 2017, 4:29 pm

Well, that was a result, very nice indeed and thankfully did not add the amount of sugar they suggested. The 'Marsala' was sufficient enough for sweetness. We have enough for quite a few more meals :chops:
Zosherooney
Registered

Return to TV and Radio