Back In Time ..

A place to discuss Food TV and radio programmes.

Back In Time ..

Postby earthmaiden » January 26th, 2017, 5:45 pm

The hilarious woman and her family are back, this time at the turn of the 20th century. This week she has no idea how to lay a normal table, serve afternoon tea and several other things you'd think most people of her age would know. They looked at brains and calves head as though it was from another planet. There is so much wrong with the programme but it's still worth viewing.
earthmaiden
Registered

Re: Back In Time ..

Postby suffolk » January 26th, 2017, 7:23 pm

I find her soooooo infuriating.
“One of the very nicest things about life is the way we must regularly stop whatever it is we are doing and devote our attention to eating.”― Luciano Pavarotti
suffolk
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » January 27th, 2017, 7:31 am

Isn't she just? I can't bear watching for more than 5 minutes at a time.
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby suffolk » January 27th, 2017, 8:01 am

As if she didn't know there was and still is an accepted way to place cutlery on a table - we set the table every day, and for special family meals and Christmas or when we have guests we set it for three courses plus fruit and cheese. How does that family normally live - they don't seem the type to eat takeaways on the carpet in front of the tv. She's playing up her own prejudices and is patronising the audience - it's ruining what could have been a good programme.
And as if a cook-housemaid would have been given only a few hours to prepare for a dinner party ....... :rolleyes:
“One of the very nicest things about life is the way we must regularly stop whatever it is we are doing and devote our attention to eating.”― Luciano Pavarotti
suffolk
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » January 27th, 2017, 9:20 am

Quite so ... the list goes on and on ... the women of the house of any class would run the house even if she didn't do the skivvyingand we have seen no sign of that. I really think she is genuine - we said in previous series that we reckon her old man rules the roost but the balance seems to work for them, we would have to understand her upbringing to understand why she is like she is. It's all so wrong but still interesting and I can never resist watching! I have to say that even though this time it was set in the early 20th century, just about everything, including the niceties of the day, seemed quite familiar. If you are of a certain age it was only your grandparents' or even almost your parents' generation after all and so it is hardly surprising.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » January 27th, 2017, 11:48 am

How did the family ever get chosen for the series in the first place ??? :?
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby StokeySue » January 27th, 2017, 11:57 am

I think you are a bit hard on her
Most people would be a bit fazed by raw brains these days, and most people in this country have never tasted them - at least they all tried

And there would be no entertainment value in having someone who just said "yes, I know" all the time!

Still a Fred fan :D
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Suelle » January 27th, 2017, 1:05 pm

I enjoyed the programme, even if 'mum' is a little annoying at times. I've read that the maid goes off to help the war effort halfway through the next decade - so she'll be back to being clueless in the kitchen!
Suelle
Global Moderator

Postby Hope » January 27th, 2017, 4:40 pm

I enjoy these programmes. I'm fascinated by social history (although I appreciate these programmes don't show the whole picture!) I must say I'd be rather fazed by setting a table for an 8-course dinner party. I'd certainly need instructions on a lot of the cutlery. It doesn't mean I'm lacking anything (nor the mum on the telly) just haven't ever experienced that.

Obviously as a veggie, I'd be quite upset at the sight of the brains, but I'm sure pretty much every omnivore I know would feel the same!

The afternoon tea arrangements seem hideously dull and rather intimidating! I'd hate the thought of complete strangers coming into my house to judge me for 15 mins!

She is a bit annoying, though!
Hope
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » January 27th, 2017, 6:03 pm

Changing the subject for a moment - can you buy brains again now? They went away when Mad Cow arrived didn't they? I haven't bought any since the early 70's.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Hope » January 27th, 2017, 6:29 pm

I was wondering about Mad Cow and brains. Thought they weren't allowed to sell them because of it.
Hope
Registered

Postby StokeySue » January 27th, 2017, 6:40 pm

I don't think you can currently sell UK cow's brains, but you can certainly buy veal (calves) brains imported from BSE free European countries, and there is no restriction on the sale of pig's brains

Not sure about sheep - they certainly were banned if of UK origin, but I suspect NZ would be allowed

As far as I know the only brains I've ever eaten are lamb's a couple of times, and I wasn't keen, rich in the wrong way for my taste
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby suffolk » January 27th, 2017, 9:11 pm

According to Ma, I was weaned on calves brains and soft herring roes, both on toast but not both at the same time :chops:
suffolk
Registered

Return to TV and Radio