The Pottery Throwdown

A place to discuss Food TV and radio programmes.

The Pottery Throwdown

Postby Busybee » February 2nd, 2017, 10:58 pm

I remain fascinated by this programme, back for another run tonight.

I'm not quite sure why I enjoy to so much, love the gentle judges and waiting to see what comes out of the kiln, never being quite sure what's going to survive the process. Tonight there was an issue with the weather and chimney resulting in carbon deposits altering the glazes. Who knew? Well Scully might!

As ever some wonderful ceramics. My money is on the tall youngish lad who made a pale blue teaset using bubbles and glaze.

BB
Busybee
Registered

Re: The Pottery Throwdown

Postby scullion » February 2nd, 2017, 11:19 pm

i agree, i think he was the best this week. i wished the woman with the scarf and the irritating laugh would be 'let go' rather than carol, who made a good fist of throwing seeing she hadn't used a wheel before.
i'm not sure about the reason for the carbonisation. i was under the impression that happens when you reduce too early, trapping any available carbon under the glaze as the surface melts before the carbon can escape rather than it being blown back down the chimney and sitting on the surface.
i think there was evidence of the red/black glaze not fitting the clay properly.
scullion
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » February 3rd, 2017, 12:49 pm

I will be catching up with this ... along with the Bake off, Interior Design challenge and Sewing Bee it is one of my favourite kinds of programme :tu: :bounce:
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby Hope » February 3rd, 2017, 2:25 pm

Love this programme (also agree with Patsy on the others). I'm so tempted to have a go, but I think I have far too many hobbies as it is!

The tall young man (god that makes me feel old saying that!) did very well. But I'm wondering who will shine when they start doing other techniques. I found some of the others' decorating (especially on the jug) far more interesting than his, but I can see why the judges picked his.

When is the sewing bee coming back? I was thinking about that the other day!
Hope
Registered

Postby scullion » February 3rd, 2017, 5:00 pm

i can see exactly why his dinner service was picked. it was consistent in style and production and it wouldn't have distracted from the food served on it.
i would have hated to eat off the blue and orange plates.
it's a shame that the first episode was all thrown ware rather than some hand building. it would have given more of an overall skill set and may have caused a different person to be 'ejected'. i know it concentrates on throwing but as they do bring a bit of hand building in as well i would have put it in at the beginning. it's where most people start off on the ceramic journey and can show up some lack of knowledge and general technique.
scullion
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » February 3rd, 2017, 9:20 pm

Yes, I agree, the tall good looking guy (who is a model in his spare time ;) 8-) ) made a lovely tea service ... blue and white being one of my favourite colour combinations. And Cáit also irritated me no end ... I would have to slap her to tell her to calm down ;) :) :lol:
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby scullion » February 26th, 2017, 3:36 pm

thought i'd just mention that i'm completely not happy with last weeks episode. the wrong person was kicked out through the fault of the firing not her lack ability - firing is often the unpredictable part of the cycle where one should expect a 10% failure rate.
in real life i bet they would have left far longer than 48 hours for the drying process in items that thick. if the clay was still damp in places explosion was a given. they would have had far longer for the making process, too, but the stress of speed is obviously part of the drama.
i am not the only one to think this - i met with a load of potters this morning who were quite vociferous on the subject.
scullion
Registered

Postby patpoyntz » February 26th, 2017, 4:36 pm

I was sorry Elaine was kicked out...she was my favourite, seemed to have a nice temperament and had such a pleasant smile.
I don't know anything about potting, so am very interested in your post scullion. However I understood at the time, that it wasn't the firing problem but that her original design, even if perfect, did not fulfil the brief. But, I could have got that wrong!
patpoyntz
Registered

Postby slimpersoninside » February 26th, 2017, 5:19 pm

I'm with Pat here, it was the lack of proper tiers in her design (at least that's what I think the judges said :D ).
I'm sorry Elaine went, imho she's a better potter than that.
slimpersoninside
Registered

Postby Busybee » February 26th, 2017, 7:36 pm

I'm very excited........have taken the plunge and am starting an introduction to pottery course.

The lady concerned is going to do a series of sessions for my sister, DS and me over the Easter holidays. Have been looking for somewhere local for a while.

I fully expect to make a disastrous ash tray which only my mother could love, but at least I'm having a go, it's been harder than expected to find suitable lessons.

BB
Busybee
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » February 27th, 2017, 1:43 pm

BB, I hope you love potting as much as I did .. I only went as a chaperone/carer for a girl with learning disabilities so I was limited as to what I could do. My little charge though made all her Christmas presents for her family that year though - she was so pleased with herself :tu: I would have loved to have more time to throw on the wheel but really enjoyed what I did. ;) :tu: :bounce:
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby scullion » February 27th, 2017, 5:15 pm

buy a bag of clay (or go and dig some yourself), raid the cutlery drawer etc for tools, (if you want to play on the wheel it may be cheaper to get one on ebay than pay out for lessons), and look at you tube videos for lessons - there are hundreds of people on there showing you how they do it - simon leach (descendent of bernard and david leach, has a huge amount of videos (many repeats of techniques) as do many other very good potters.
some of the films of far eastern potters are inspirational and can fill months of your time if you let it.
you can bisque fire in a hot bonfire if you want to try the basic type of firing. or even in an old barbecue http://ceramicartsdaily.org/daily/grilling-season/
having a play doesn't really need expensive lessons or equipment, just the will to have a go.
scullion
Registered

Postby scullion » February 27th, 2017, 5:28 pm

i've just looked at ebay - it seems the throw down may have rocketed the price of second hand wheels!
scullion
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » February 27th, 2017, 6:06 pm

scullion wrote:having a play doesn't really need expensive lessons or equipment, just the will to have a go.

Good idea if you have the room for a wheel (which I don't) , or a big enough garden for a bonfire (which I don't) .. However, I did enough potting to know I loved using the wheel and doing some free style with porcelain clay .. ;) :tu:
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby Hope » February 28th, 2017, 10:31 am

No no, I'm not tempted. (tells self firmly!) I have far too many interested already.

Youtube is a wonderful resource. Whenever I get stuck on a project, I always go there to learn things. It's also useful for days when I want to make, but can't. At least I feel like I'm doing something!

I'd leave it a while until after the throwndown has finished before looking on ebay for a wheel, then prices should be better.

And NO I am absolutely not going to get one. I'm not. really. I'm not!
Hope
Registered

Postby scullion » February 28th, 2017, 10:40 am

if you want another woodwork project i can scan the plans for a leach kick wheel for you! it can sit out in the garden under a cover.
(tee hee, snigger snigger , tempt tempt!).
scullion
Registered

Postby suffolk » February 28th, 2017, 10:55 am

I used to like using the kick wheel - it felt much more controllable than the electric ones - but then for a long while I preferred using my old Singer treadle sewing machine to the electric ones :D
“One of the very nicest things about life is the way we must regularly stop whatever it is we are doing and devote our attention to eating.”― Luciano Pavarotti
suffolk
Registered

Postby Hope » February 28th, 2017, 11:00 am

shh stop it. lalala not listening! is it powered by pedals? I probably wouldn't be able to work it, so there! :lol: I also struggle a lot with co-ordination!

(thanks. I might get back to you on that. Need to finish some of my other projects first and get a lot stronger... might get back to you in a few more years!)
Hope
Registered

Postby scullion » February 28th, 2017, 11:46 am

it has a bar that you push with one leg - although a potter i met on the scillies adapted his so that he could kick with the other when one leg tired (he had r.a.).
if you google leach wheel you should be able to see it - i've just found a pdf online of scans of the book i have - https://gedpotteryblog.files.wordpress. ... lans-2.pdf
- its from a very good book called the self reliant potter by andrew holden. unfortunately the book was only published for a short time and not reprinted after the authors accidental death - it's a much sought after book and can be expensive (i paid about £20 on ebay for my copy).

you can take your fingers out of your ears now!
scullion
Registered

Postby patpoyntz » March 4th, 2017, 8:53 pm

Well I'm a bit miffed about pottery throw down this week, when no one got ejected....last time Elaine had to leave because of not following the brief, this week, Cait was nowhere near the required height of the pot and yet was kept in. So. It will be interesting next episode to see what happens when two people have to go.
patpoyntz
Registered

Postby dennispc » March 6th, 2017, 3:39 pm

patpoyntz wrote:Well I'm a bit miffed about pottery throw down this week, when no one got ejected....last time Elaine had to leave because of not following the brief, this week, Cait was nowhere near the required height of the pot and yet was kept in. So. It will be interesting next episode to see what happens when two people have to go.

I agree.

And just like Bake Off, the last task appears to be the decider and other tasks almost forgotten.

Also think that when there's a problem caused by firing, over which they have no control some adjustment should be made in the judging.
Every day is a good day, it's just that some days are better than others.
dennispc
Registered

Postby scullion » March 9th, 2017, 10:21 pm

thank heavens she's gone!
scullion
Registered

Postby Busybee » March 9th, 2017, 10:25 pm

Thought the right two went, but Cait should have gone first week.

Interesting final four - don't think I could predict the winner. Who is your money on Scully?

BB
Busybee
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » March 10th, 2017, 9:43 am

Yes, I heaved a sigh of relief when Cait went and like you Bb, thought she should have gone in the first week ;) ... she continued to take things to the wire and was so disorganised and such an irritating voice !!! :(

I liked Ryan's offering in the first programme and have liked his style every since .. shame that he didn't do so well in the Russian Doll challenge though :(
Last edited by PatsyMFagan on March 10th, 2017, 1:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby scullion » March 10th, 2017, 10:13 am

i'm not sure.
it won't be richard.
ryan is the best thrower, his bowl in the blindfold test was the clearly the best by a country mile.
clover is the best hand builder, from the first view of the 'dolls' i said to my partner that she should win that challenge - the fit and modelling were so precise, and freya is probably the most innovative but has less 'finish'.
i would like clover (or ryan) to win - but as it's weighted more to throwing i think ryan will get it.
scullion
Registered

Postby StokeySue » March 10th, 2017, 10:42 am

I suspect you are right, but it was nice we finally got Clover week
I wasn't sure I wanted to live with Freya's dolls, but the effect of those mouths was stunning
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby scullion » March 11th, 2017, 12:53 am

i'm rather looking forward to next week's episode - i wonder if johny vagus will be making a teapot.
scullion
Registered

Postby StokeySue » March 11th, 2017, 12:58 am

Johnny has clearly touched a raw nerve there
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby scullion » March 11th, 2017, 9:31 am

hahahaha! oops!
scullion
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » March 11th, 2017, 10:13 am

scullion wrote: i wonder if johny vagus will be making a teapot.

StokeySue wrote:Johnny has clearly touched a raw nerve there

Have I missed something ? :oops:

Meant to add, I know not related to this programme, perhaps more to Sewing Bee, but whatever was that woman judge wearing this week ??? :td: I did her no favours at all ;)
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby StokeySue » March 11th, 2017, 10:28 am

The vagus nerve is the one that gives you hiccups when it makes your diaphragm twitch

Johnny Vegas presumably has one ;)
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby slimpersoninside » March 11th, 2017, 10:36 am

I'm going to be, maybe, a bit controvertial (sp?) here. I think Ryan should have gone. IMHO by his dolls not fitting inside each other they did not fulfill the brief. When Elaine was eliminated it was for that reason, despite the fact that her piece was better than some others (I know she was missing a piece but that was the vagaries of firing).
slimpersoninside
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » March 11th, 2017, 10:44 am

StokeySue wrote:The vagus nerve is the one that gives you hiccups when it makes your diaphragm twitch

Johnny Vegas presumably has one ;)

:aww: :oops: Never gave that a thought ... :rolleyes: :lol:

and the tea pot ???
Last edited by PatsyMFagan on March 11th, 2017, 10:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » March 11th, 2017, 10:46 am

Was just posting on here when I realised that Keith was talking on the Saturday show on Radio 4 ;) :tu: I think I will have to listen again as the radio was on in the kitchen .. :lol:
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby scullion » March 11th, 2017, 5:12 pm

johnny (fill in your favourite nerve here...) is, actually, a good potter and spent quite a bit of time making teapots (he was a pupil of kate malone's). he's known for making a functional teapot in under 60 seconds.
scullion
Registered

Postby scullion » March 11th, 2017, 5:44 pm

Postby slimpersoninside » March 11th, 2017, 11:36 am

I'm going to be, maybe, a bit controvertial (sp?) here. I think Ryan should have gone. IMHO by his dolls not fitting inside each other they did not fulfill the brief. When Elaine was eliminated it was for that reason, despite the fact that her piece was better than some others (I know she was missing a piece but that was the vagaries of firing).

i agree that elaine should not have gone if taking the overall series performance, however as other's pointed out it was more to do with her design not fulfilling the brief rather than the firing mishap - and the ejection is taken on a single programme judgement rather than their overall performance and from what i remember her other stuff had been less than best that week.
nam had to go this week - his other work was undistinguished and one of his dolls didn't even get near fitting. quoit (yes i know that's not how it's spelled) forgot part of her theme, her pots weren't brilliant and she has an irritating voice so she had to go.
- whereas ryan's blindfold bowl was very good. ok his dolls weren't a good fit but there was far more work in them, the decoration on them was better than cáit's and he doesn't shriek or seek attention - definitely someone you'd want to share a studio with.
scullion
Registered

Postby Busybee » March 11th, 2017, 5:45 pm

I do know that Johnny has a piece displayed in the V & A. His degree is in ceramics, I don't know his back story as to how he went from ceramics into comedy acting.

BB
Busybee
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » March 11th, 2017, 6:38 pm

Thanks for the info on Johnny V ... I am looking forward to the next episode .. :tu:
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby slimpersoninside » March 11th, 2017, 6:39 pm

My point was that IMHO Ryan did not fulfill the brief as his dolls did not fit inside each other, which was the point of the exercise, and as it was the main make it should have been judged as harshly as Elaine not fulfilling the brief (I did know this was the reason she was eliminated, not the broken pot).
I too would rather share studio space with Ryan and I think he's the best potter when it comes to wheel work, his dinner set was lovely.
I'm not disappointed with the result.
slimpersoninside
Registered

Postby Hope » March 12th, 2017, 7:28 am

Loved CLover's dolls. I think they are actually my favourite thing made on the show so far!

And what on earth was Kate wearing?

Shame about Nam going. I was surprised they kept Ryan.
Hope
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » March 12th, 2017, 10:58 am

Hope wrote:And what on earth was Kate wearing?

I mentioned that too ... looked some a badly (home) made dress using up odds and ends of different fabric .. :(
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby Hope » March 12th, 2017, 12:59 pm

First of all I thought it was an overall.
Hope
Registered

Postby suffolk » March 12th, 2017, 1:15 pm

Well, I wouldn't wear anything decent when working with clay - even if I was going to be on the telly :lol:
“One of the very nicest things about life is the way we must regularly stop whatever it is we are doing and devote our attention to eating.”― Luciano Pavarotti
suffolk
Registered

Postby Chinchilla_lady » March 12th, 2017, 5:31 pm

I thought it was her nightie :lol:

Addicted to White Cats
Chinchilla_lady
Registered

Postby StokeySue » March 12th, 2017, 6:08 pm

I thought it looked like one of those sack dresses worn by my mother and other small girls in the 1920s :D
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Busybee » March 16th, 2017, 9:24 pm

Interesting outcome tonight. Freya was streets ahead in creativity but her toilet really didn't work on a functional level.

I'm surprised Richard is in the final, but think it's a two horse race, my money is on Ryan.

I had looked forward to seeing Johnny Vegas all series but found his segment a bit of a let down.

BB
Busybee
Registered

Postby StokeySue » March 16th, 2017, 10:14 pm

I am having a problem with iPlayer so haven't seen it all
Kate appeared to have come dressed as Dorothy in the Wizard of Oz
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Busybee » March 23rd, 2017, 9:21 pm

The right winner in my opinion.

His final make was beautiful - simple but stunning. Whilst Richards glazing of the leaves was outstanding I still thought it was more of a mobile than a light. I'm afraid I didn't really like Clover's

I do like the roundup at the end when they tell you what everyone is doing, interesting that Elaine is now doing an internship with Kate Malone.

BB
Busybee
Registered

Postby StokeySue » March 23rd, 2017, 9:35 pm

I thought the winner was obvious, fortunately
Great final
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby scullion » March 24th, 2017, 8:55 am

agree, consistently at the top end all the way through, really.
i laughed at the 'reverse' challenged - i've done that by mistake a couple of times (a shimpo wheel has a forward and reverse switch). you then have to remember to turn them in reverse, too.

i was surprised that ryan left his cylinders standing on the ground, that was a crash asking to happen.
scullion
Registered

Next

Return to TV and Radio