The Pottery Throwdown

A place to discuss Food TV and radio programmes.

Re: The Pottery Throwdown

Postby PatsyMFagan » March 24th, 2017, 9:44 am

From the first programme Ryan was my favourite :tu: Apart from the Russian doll challenge, his makes were inventive and showed his abilities well. I will have to catch up with the last few minutes as I made a swift exodus to my bed to watch Prime Suspect 1973... :lol:
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby Hope » March 24th, 2017, 12:04 pm

I thought from the start that Ryan would win. Not surprised at all. Although personally I found his pieces generally rather boring! (nicely made, though!)
Hope
Registered

Postby Kavey » March 26th, 2017, 3:46 pm

Why didn't I think to look in here for a thread!

I've been LOVING the entire series and feel so sad it was over so fast.

Controversially I think the right person was ejected every single week, even in the weeks where there was no one / two people. Now, those people were not always the ones I'd personally rather have seen gone, but that was based on personal taste to their styles of work, my reaction to their personalities and their performance in previous weeks rather than just the single show itself. So, there were a few weeks where I wished a different person was chosen to be ejected but actually I did think the judges chose fairly and correctly every single week based on the main challenge and the two smaller challenges.

We had some strong words about the firing too - blaming it on the weather (rather than properly ventilating) annoyed me and several in my pottery class - and the whole thing about not leaving enough time for items to dry thoroughly all the way through. That said, they all knew the drying and firing schedule and should have deliberately made thinner bottoms / walls to accommodate that better given that was the schedule they were all aware of. Plus a few issues where they didn't remove their items from the boards, and that caused cracking as they shrunk.

Anyway, yeah, loved the entire series.

Oh and while it was one, Nam did an instagram giveaway of one of his wonderful lego men and I won it, so I got to go and visit him to collect it. Swoon at Nam and swoon at my prize!

https://www.instagram.com/p/BRV-RuEB13s/
Kavey
Registered

Postby scullion » March 26th, 2017, 4:54 pm

any chance of an ordinary photo? - my computer doesn't open instagram posts and i tend to avoid 'social media' (both on laptop and phone - i waste enough of my diminishing time as it is).
i'll swap you a pic of a pot i won at a ceramics meeting a couple of weeks ago.
scullion
Registered

Postby Hope » March 26th, 2017, 5:00 pm

Oh lucky you Kavey!
Hope
Registered

Postby Kavey » March 29th, 2017, 6:00 am

Scullion, I only have it uploaded anywhere into instagram, don't have any quick way to find the share on twitter to link to.
You don't need to be registered with instagram to open it, so I've not come across any computer that wouldn't open instagram link if it opens other websites?
x
I'd still love to see your photo of your pot though!
Kavey
Registered

Postby Hope » March 29th, 2017, 6:42 am

I'm not registered on Instagram, but I could see it.
Hope
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » March 29th, 2017, 8:59 am

Yup, me too... I just clicked on the link and it opened ... however, I think Scully may be using an Ipad ? I notice it's not easy to quote from her posts on here either, and when she quotes, it doesn't look the same either :?
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby scullion » March 29th, 2017, 3:28 pm

hiya, nearly right, i'm on a macbook pro. there are some sites that are linked to on here that it doesn't open. it may be because i have my security turned up to eleven or maybe because i haven't upgraded to sierra - yet, (mavericks has always worked for me so it's been better the devil you know but i think the time to update has come).
and you're right, since the last 'unable to open website' on this site a while back i've been unable to quote properly unless i click the quote button before i've logged in, otherwise i have to copy and paste the bit i want to quote. none of that line of buttons work, not just the quote.
i'll get round to taking a photo soon, kavey, but not today, i'm off out in half an hour and i'd have to take the pot from behind the telly and dust off the fly ash!
- can you not email the photo to yourself from instagram? (i wouldn't know - just wondering).
scullion
Registered

Postby scullion » March 29th, 2017, 3:44 pm

i've just had a look at the sort of thing by googling - did you get one with the crystalline glaze?
scullion
Registered

Postby Kavey » March 30th, 2017, 5:48 am

No it's a blue glaze, and instead of the usual lego arms it has these awesome muscly arms. The photo is of me and Nam and the legoman I won!
Kavey
Registered

Postby scullion » March 30th, 2017, 11:00 am

if last year is anything to go by there will be a selection of the entrants at bovey tracy, in june, so i may see some there.
i bought a mug from the tall guy (jim) who was one of the finalists last year. the chap who won, matt, wasn't there the day we went as he had had a total kiln failure with the ware he was going to bring so was cycling down.
new kiln, first time of using and with his whole output for the festival - what was he thinking‽ - jim laughed as he said it.
scullion
Registered

Previous

Return to TV and Radio