Are you a radio lover?

A place to discuss Food TV and radio programmes.

Are you a radio lover?

Postby Pepper Pig » March 28th, 2017, 3:49 pm

I am and, despite being a musician, the channels I listen to are nearly all spoken word. I have 24 pre-tuned ones in the car (once I found out how to set it all up I got a bit carried away) :oops: , and listen regularly to about 8.

LBC - Totally worth it for James O'Brien weekdays 10-1
Radio 5 Live - For the excellent sports coverage
Radio 5 Live Extra -Cricket
Radio 4 - News, The Archers, various plays, quizzes and documentaries
Radio 4 Extra - Almost my favourite channel. Reruns of old drama series plus extra bits from current programmes. Currently listening to a superb adaptation of David Copperfield from long ago.
Radio 2 - Still tune in occasionally but I miss Wogan
Radio 3 - In case I can't find anything else to listen to
Classic FM - So that I can shout at the whole smarmy lot of them and tell them what I really think about Russell Watson and Katherine Jenkins

How about you, or does radio pass you by?
Pepper Pig
Registered

Re: Are you a radio lover?

Postby scullion » March 28th, 2017, 4:55 pm

my life is lived with radio four from waking until mid to late evening - when the telly takes over - unless i'm occupied elsewhere or we're out.
scullion
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » March 28th, 2017, 5:33 pm

Used to listen to R2 on a Sat am 8 til 10 - sounds of the 60s. Very disappointed when it stopped. Now listen to it on player when convenient. Don't like Dermot O'Leary. Sunday listen to Elaine Paige - musical programme 1pm to 3pm. Not much else.

Mr. Z is a R4 freak... :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » March 28th, 2017, 6:35 pm

I tune into Radio 4 when I wake in the morning and usually leave that on until to go out (most week-days) about 10 am. Then another half hour in the evening up to and including the Archers. Then it's 2-3 hours of tv until I settle down to sleep - to Classic FM , because it is easy listening and I usually drop off before it switches off ;) Radio 3 on my tv is so quiet I just can't hear it without zipping the sound right up, but too heavy for me :(

Radio 4 on Saturday mornings and radio 2 on Sundays, to include Steve Wright, Michael Ball and Johnny Walker, with Gardeners' Question time in between .. :tu:
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby Busybee » March 28th, 2017, 6:59 pm

I used to listen to it more than I do now. Also miss Wogan, I think he was an underrated genius.

OH always has the Sonos playing in the lounge, so I tend to listen to whatever he is playing.

BB
Busybee
Registered

Postby StokeySue » March 28th, 2017, 7:22 pm

I like R4, but can't listen to a lot of it while doing other things, it needs my full attention, so I gave not got into listening to much of it, I intend to do more in my retirement, but speech radio doesn't work as background for me.
I could drive and listen so morning news and evening comedy were my lot when working in an office, I also used to listen to Robert Elms on BBC Radio London, and may get back into that.
I have never got the hang of the Archers, Steve Wright makes my skin crawl (and why would anyone want 2 hours of Sunday love songs, unless they work for Hallmark?), and I can't stand Elaine Paige, her hideous laugh or her Sondheim obsession (I detest Sondheim, which I do appreciate is very much a minority position, but it is mine)
I cherry pick from R4, R6, R3, R2, London.
I'm not keen on radio drama on the whole, but there are exceptions, and I dislike being read to (prose, poetry is fine), which I need to get over, but been like that since I was 5 ("please give me the book and stop doing silly voices")
Love Start the week, Broadcasting House, Jim Al Khalili, Infinite Monkey Cage etc. You can probably tell I'm a scientist who chaired the debating society :D

Weekends used to start with R4 News Quiz / Now Show if on, and end with Guy Garvey on R6 10-12 pm Sunday, but the schedules have changed
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby liketocook » March 28th, 2017, 7:22 pm

Radio 2 Johnnie Walker - Sounds of the 70s enjoy a good singalong :D
liketocook
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » March 28th, 2017, 7:53 pm

Sue, I am totally with you on both Elaine Page and Stephen Sondheim.
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » March 28th, 2017, 7:57 pm

StokeySue wrote: and I can't stand Elaine Paige, her hideous laugh

Steve Wright does a blinding impression of her and her laugh ;) :) 8-)
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby Badger's mate » March 29th, 2017, 3:29 pm

I'm very much a radio fan, largely because I can do other things whilst listening. Generally I listen in the kitchen, where I spend a fair amount of time, or over the plot on a personal radio. This latter is usually set to R4 LW or R5.

The DAB in the kitchen is preset to R4, R5, R5 sports extra or Planet Rock (which I haven't listened to for ages). However, it mysteriously retunes to R2 when I go out. Spooky...
Badger's mate
Registered

Postby suffolk » March 29th, 2017, 6:23 pm

If I'm on my own in the house the radio is invariably tuned to either R4 or R3 - if OH is here then after 10am it's either R2 or R3 ............ and in the car it's one of those three.
I left school at 16 ......... awful girls grammar school, couldn't get away quick enough - there was a shelf of books in the library labelled 'Careers for Girls'!!! in an all girls school :? :rolleyes: ..... and went to Art School at 40 .......... between 16 and 40 I received a brilliant education from Radio 4 :kneel: :kneel: :kneel:
Last edited by suffolk on March 29th, 2017, 7:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“One of the very nicest things about life is the way we must regularly stop whatever it is we are doing and devote our attention to eating.”― Luciano Pavarotti
suffolk
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » March 29th, 2017, 6:31 pm

Forgot to mention.... R6 is quite good.... discovered it by accident after loosing sounds of the 60's

I think I may be a tad scared of getting soooo into R4 that I would never go out !!!!! Scared of missing an episode etc. I would need to give my whole attention to R4 and there is too much else going on for that sort of infatuation.
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » March 30th, 2017, 7:43 am

Zosherooney wrote:
I think I may be a tad scared of getting soooo into R4 that I would never go out !!!!! Scared of missing an episode etc. I would need to give my whole attention to R4 and there is too much else going on for that sort of infatuation.

IPlayer Radio is a wondrous thing! 8-) 8-) 8-)
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby suffolk » March 30th, 2017, 8:11 am

For instance - Melvin Bragg and guests discussing the life and work of Japanese artist Katsushika Hokusai ......... now http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4 :luv:

or you can Listen Again
“One of the very nicest things about life is the way we must regularly stop whatever it is we are doing and devote our attention to eating.”― Luciano Pavarotti
suffolk
Registered

Postby Busybee » March 30th, 2017, 8:26 am

suffolk wrote:For instance - Melvin Bragg and guests discussing the life and work of Japanese artist Katsushika Hokusai ......... now http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4 :luv:

or you can Listen Again

DS and I are going to the William Morris Gallery to see his work in the Easter hols- must have a listen. His written element on his graphic design course was about Hokusai influence on William Morris and Tiffany.

BB
Busybee
Registered

Postby StokeySue » March 30th, 2017, 9:18 am

I might go to that BB, but the main Hokusai exhibition (Beyond the Wave) is at the British Museum, I'll definitely go to that.
I went to the first big London exhibition of Hokusai and other Japanese printmakers at the Royal Academy years ago, wonderful
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Busybee » March 30th, 2017, 11:04 am

Thanks for that Sue, I wonder if we could squeeze the British Museum in as well.

BB
Busybee
Registered

Postby StokeySue » March 30th, 2017, 11:22 am

PLEASE NOTE: The British Museum's new Hokusai exhibition, Hokusai: beyond the Great Wave, runs from 25 May 2017 – 13 August 2017.

It would be necessary to book tickets for that
http://www.britishmuseum.org/whats_on/exhibitions/hokusai.aspx
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » March 30th, 2017, 1:25 pm

I grew up with radio, we never had TV. I loved the variety until I discovered Radio Caroline and then that was it :). I still love it but when at home am usually flitting from room to room and find it hard to really listen to Radio 4 unless I sit still as I can't hear it properly if I make any noise and the programmes I like best never seem to be on when I am in the car for any length of time (I wish they made it easier to listen to programmes at a time of one's choice, maybe they do, but I haven't found out how to do it). I used to like Radio 1 but stopped listening when Chris Moyles presented the programme I listened to most. I liked Radio 2 for a while but don't really like many of the presenters or music style any more so listen less, they have taken away most of the more quirky programmes that I liked best. I couldn't stand Wogan. Nowadays the radio is manly background or in the car. I flit between Gold (a good source of 60's music although you have to endure some 70's), Classic FM, Kiss and Radios 2 and 4.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby TezzaBear » March 30th, 2017, 6:56 pm

I usually have R5live on. I can get loads of stations on my DAB and at some point would have tried them all and have enjoyed Three Counties and LBC but always go back to 5. I love listening to people on phone ins and generally listening to what is happening in the world (news, sport) and cannot stand music chosen by another person as invariably I don't like it and switch back over to 5 for the talk instead.
Miss my cats...
TezzaBear
Registered

Postby WWordsworth » April 1st, 2017, 9:31 pm

I was brought up on Radio 4 and I still listen to it, also enjoy Craig Charles on Radio 6.
I cannot abide any type of sport commentary, they shout such drivel.
WWordsworth
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » April 2nd, 2017, 5:36 am

WWordsworth wrote:I cannot abide any type of sport commentary, they shout such drivel.

Then you haven't ever listened to Test Match Special surely? Sheer poetry, knowledge and fun. And very little shouting.
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby Lokelani » April 3rd, 2017, 8:37 am

I only tend to listen to radio in the car. Usually Radio 2, or if it's annoying me then whatever I can find music or interesting talk on.
Lokelani
Registered

Return to TV and Radio