3 Girls

A place to discuss Food TV and radio programmes.

3 Girls

Postby Zosherooney » May 19th, 2017, 11:27 am

Did anyone else watch this ? I thought it was well done and chosen actors portrayed the roles well. I knew some of the details but the shocking failures left me disgusted with the police force/authorities that failed these poor girls.

One fact that left me asking questions, where were their mothers when these girls were being exploited ? I did not have the levels of freedom that they obviously had ?

I do not wish to upset anyone with the above questions. Just the thoughts going through my head.
Zosherooney
Registered

Re: 3 Girls

Postby suffolk » May 19th, 2017, 11:42 am

If, as a girl of that age, you had helped yourself to that amount of freedom, how would your parents have stopped you?

I have recorded the series but have not watched it yet ... I don't know if I will ... having worked for Children's Services I've been there and done that ... there are still some routes through the city I prefer not to take as they take me past certain houses and I know what went on there ... some of which I uncovered ... but for everyone else ... yes, Three Girls should be required viewing, at least for anyone in education, policing, health, the judiciary, social services .......... and politicians.
“One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.”
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » May 19th, 2017, 12:00 pm

Believe me Suff. I would have been beaten black and blue, I did have corporal punishment and a very strict upbringing, my life would not have been worth it. I did feel bad about my childhood but now at my age realise it kept me on the straight and narrow... whereas....... better not go there......!
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » May 19th, 2017, 12:04 pm

It was different in our day Zosh. Sadly.

I can't watch it although Ive read the reviews. Like Suffs, I've been there. And I really was only on the fringes.
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby suffolk » May 19th, 2017, 12:23 pm

Zosherooney wrote:Believe me Suff. I would have been beaten black and blue, I did have corporal punishment and a very strict upbringing, my life would not have been worth it. I did feel bad about my childhood but now at my age realise it kept me on the straight and narrow... whereas....... better not go there......!

Is one form of child abuse any more acceptable than another?

I understand that people come from different times and places, but cultural differences enabled the men who abused those girls to excuse what they were doing.

Child abuse, physical, emotional and sexual is always child abuse.

And don't forget, children from happy emotionally stable homes where they feel good about themselves don't go looking for 'love', affection, validation of their own worth or whatever, elsewhere ......... :cry:
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby Busybee » May 19th, 2017, 12:29 pm

I did watch it. As a retired manager of a sexual health service in greater Manchester I am well acquainted with the story. I would like to think that this wouldn't happen again. Alas, I'm a realist.

I wish that they had shown more of the community fall out after the trial.

I wish I didn't know some of the things I do....................no wonder I had trouble sleeping.

BB
Busybee
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » May 19th, 2017, 12:33 pm

I did once try and have a sensible conversation with Dad about the way I was treated as a child. He did not see what he had done wrong and still firmly believed that his ways were right. I think I may have been very much more wayward with a softer approach. I was (and still am) very strong willed. Mum kept a bamboo cane behind the night storage heater in the kitchen. She only had to reach for it and it sent me running.... Think my childhood might have had something to do with my (our) choice not to have kids. I (we) still don't feel any regrets - thankfully. :D
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby suffolk » May 19th, 2017, 12:37 pm

It doesn't have to be a 'softer' approach Zosh ... just a different one :( :hug:

No daughter could have been more strong willed than mine I promise you, or the one my parents had for that matter, or the one my granny had ......... none were beaten and yet they all turned out ok.
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » May 19th, 2017, 12:41 pm

Dad was certainly different !!!! Parents are never offered a book on how to be a parent.... It must be a minefield...... especially if their own childhood was different/difficult... i.e. WW2
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby suffolk » May 19th, 2017, 12:44 pm

Every generation has its own special difficulties ...
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » May 19th, 2017, 12:51 pm

ATEOTD I just wish I had happier memories of childhood.

Sorry I never meant this to be about me....
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » May 19th, 2017, 1:36 pm

Whether controlled by abuse and fear from a predator or parent, if it is so awful that it scars a person for life, it is wrong.

I was a tearaway teenager and understand the thrill of getting into situations which in my case, thankfully, did not turn out anything like it did for those girls. My parents were too sweet and innocent to have any idea and I was far too cunning for them to guess that I wasn't where I said I was until the sh*t hit the fan. I also know what it's like to have a tearaway teenager in the house, one that is bigger and stronger than you. It is very hard. I think that the programme indicated that the parents of the victims did love them but that communication had broken down between them. It only takes a small step to go from a basically loving home to an uncontrollably bad situation but to cry for help as a parent or teenager means failure, shame and possible repercussions from the predators or social services - too scary to contemplate, especially when you are in your early teens ... and imagine if you have not come from a basically loving home and have nothing but the bad situation ..

This will go on but how good it would be if the case has started to changed attitude in dealing with it.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » May 19th, 2017, 1:41 pm

Well said EM. I was too scared to be a tearaway but have a hell of a lot of baggage by being repressed.

It's amazing when people come out the other side wiser and undamaged but I'm not sure if that's normal or rare.
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby suffolk » May 19th, 2017, 2:03 pm

Zosherooney wrote:ATEOTD I just wish I had happier memories of childhood.

Sorry I never meant this to be about me....

:hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby Bubbles » May 19th, 2017, 3:36 pm

I started to watch it, having no clue about the story - I mean I am well acquainted with the Rochdale, and other child sexual exploitation, but having just returned from holiday, was not aware of the programme. I am sorry to have to say I couldn't watch beyond about the first 20 mins, just didn't have the stomach for it. I applaud the programme makers, and the actors, and most of all the girls and professionals who came forward and tried to bring it to the attention of the police and others who could have put a stop to the CSE. Having attended many child protection training events run by SS and CEOPS, I know a little about the subject and maybe I will get round to watching the programmes? It is horrific that this even took place, and still continues to be a blight on our society.
Bubbles
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » May 19th, 2017, 5:55 pm

Thanks Suff. :luv:

EM. :luv: You do talk some incredibly good sense. Maybe you should be writing the book for parents !

Some of you Wildies out there do fantastic work for vulnerable individuals - you need the applause. :tu: :tu:
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby liketocook » May 28th, 2017, 8:49 pm

Watching this on catch up - harrowing :cry:
liketocook
Registered

Return to TV and Radio