Dr in the house

A place to discuss Food TV and radio programmes.

Dr in the house

Postby Hope » May 23rd, 2017, 9:46 am

Does anyone happen to know what the gene defect is the man with chronic fatigue has in the episode shown last night? They said about it, but didn't say what it was.
Hope
Registered

Re: Dr in the house

Postby PatsyMFagan » May 23rd, 2017, 10:35 am

The Amino acid that was really high was Homocysteine .... that's all I recall ... would need to watch again on iplayer with sub-titles turned on ... I think that high doses of B12 sorted it out though ? I guessed the same as the Doc in the first instance -Obstructive Sleep Apnoea (having been a sufferer myself), but like him was surprised that it wasn't. I am now wondering if B12 might help with my levels of tiredness. Like the sufferer, I too wake up groggy, with signs of a hangover .. ...:(
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby Hope » May 23rd, 2017, 10:40 am

No it wasn't that, it was the gene the Dr was talking about while demonstrating the effects on the man with a car.

My B12 levels are fine. Have you had yours checked? I now only wake up groggy now if I've had less than 10 hours sleep (yes, really!) sometimes 9.5 is enough if I've had lots of good nights sleep in a row.
Hope
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » May 23rd, 2017, 11:42 am

I understood the gene defect was causing the extremely high homocysteine levels, that were then brought under control with the mega dose of B12 ?

I usually sleep like a log (last night about 7 hours), but however little or much sleep I get, I wake up feeling groggy and hungover :( I generally stay in bed for an hour drinking my bottle (850ml) of water .. I am always awake between 6.30 and 7.00 however little sleep I get in the night.
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby StokeySue » May 23rd, 2017, 5:58 pm

I'm not surprised they didn't go into the mechanism, it's complicated and not well understood

I have had a look at the more technical information on t'internet

Raised homocysteine seems to occur from a variety of causes, including mutations (several) that affect the body's ability to methylate chemicals and deal with the outcome. Other causes are some drugs, and probably lifestyle factors too.

However according to some of the sources I've looked at the cause is not too important, what counts is measuring homocysteine and B12, and if homocysteine is high and B12 is low, raising B12 will enable the body to deal with the excess homocysteine, which causes the symptoms
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » May 24th, 2017, 6:24 am

Patsy, I told you to take more water with it !!!!! ;) :lol:

Monday I was up and about by 6.15 and finally hit the sack at 8.30pm slept 10 hours !!!! Tuesday up at 6.30 and hit the sack at 9pm. Todays up at 6.15, I have both the last two days gone without any shut eye during the afternoon, I sometimes manage 20 mins or up to an hour. I am finding that getting older makes me knackered !!!!
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » May 24th, 2017, 11:26 am

Zosherooney wrote: I am finding that getting older makes me knackered !!!!

I never thought of that ;) :lol:
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby Hope » May 24th, 2017, 11:54 am

Oh god, there's no hope for me, then. I'm not even middle aged yet!
Hope
Registered

Return to TV and Radio