Panorama 10.7.17 Brexit Food

A place to discuss Food TV and radio programmes.

Panorama 10.7.17 Brexit Food

Postby Zosherooney » July 11th, 2017, 6:02 am

Did anyone else watch this last night ???? Q.I. They came from both angles.

Also straight after was Greg Wallaces supermarket prog. What amazed me was a machine that could fillet a salmon in less than 2 seconds !!!! :o
Zosherooney
Registered

Re: Panorama 10.7.17 Brexit Food

Postby PatsyMFagan » July 11th, 2017, 9:57 am

Missed that one although did see the Supermarket programme .. this was the last in the series and really interesting :tu:
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby scullion » July 11th, 2017, 11:18 am

yes, i watched it. i was surprised by the young farmer's logic that he could suddenly start selling his lamb to china if we left the eu.
i was also unimpressed with the words of the corn feeding american farmer when pointing out that his boisterous cattle calmed down and became contented when bought into the crowded feeding up pen (he said that they had room to lie down - on the rubber, drainable flooring, in their own faeces). the camera switch to a depressed looking cow was unnecessary - i think everyone could tell that's what had happened.
the migrant picker issue was one that i had mentioned early on in the campaign to people who complained about them. that is a dilemma that is going to take a lot of working out. there are few young people from this country who consider it a good enough job for them and areas like cornwall, with a relatively older population and high horticultural production are going to flag up the problem big time.
scullion
Registered

Postby suffolk » July 11th, 2017, 12:08 pm

Vegetable producers like my brother and his neighbouring farmers are really concerned about the likely impact - they're investigating all sorts of possible ways around the problem ... local casual labour isn't one of them ... not reliable enough ... never has been ... if they could get enough local people to do the work they'd not have been employing foreign labour that they have to provide accommodation for ... :rolleyes:
“One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.”
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby scullion » July 11th, 2017, 4:09 pm

exactly.
scullion
Registered

Postby beldubby » July 11th, 2017, 4:36 pm

Maybe some of the people (I won't use the words I was going to) who voted for Brexit would like to volunteer their services!
beldubby
Registered

Postby smitch » July 11th, 2017, 4:56 pm

beldubby wrote:Maybe some of the people (I won't use the words I was going to) who voted for Brexit would like to volunteer their services!

:tu:
smitch
Registered

Postby scullion » July 11th, 2017, 6:05 pm

totally agree, but i fear they are mostly too old to bend that far.
scullion
Registered

Postby miss mouse » July 13th, 2017, 4:20 pm

Just watched on catch-up.

Depressing. Have people no idea of US farming methods? Chickens and eggs washed in bleach (rampant salmonella), hormone injections for beef and chickens (faster growth) routine antibiotics to counter the overcrowding and in pigs is a growth enhancer. Call-me-Dave was keen to allow US imports of beef a while ago but Europe said "NO" thank goodness. GM crops not tested enough, cattle fed on corn, (I think maize is meant by this), when was that a natural diet for cattle. Also the system is based on litigation there so if I sell my magic hair pills which will make your hair grow thicker and faster, provide a few questionable 'research' papers to the FDA it will be rubber stamped, if your hair falls out as a consequence then you will have to sue me, obviously I will be busy counting my money in some tax and extradition haven by then.

As said, why that young farmer thinks he will be able to sell lamb to China, he has to be living in lala-land.

High fructose corn syrup anyone? Let me freshen your glasses.

I thought it a very weak programme.
miss mouse
Registered

Return to TV and Radio