Inside the factory

A place to discuss Food TV and radio programmes.

Inside the factory

Postby PatsyMFagan » July 19th, 2017, 11:29 am

Did anyone else see this last night ? Greg Wallace and another presenter look at how some of our foods/drinks are produced .. Ruth Goodman does the historical thing ...

Last night it was all about tea ... Kenya, being where most of Typhoo get theirs from. So we were taken from the plantation/picking/preparation and then journey into Liverpool to a massive factory that was originally built to make chocolate :lol: It was interesting seeing how teas are blended so that we get a consistent taste and I was particularly pleased to see that the scientific expert agrees with my habit of letting the tea brew for 5 minutes to extract maximum taste/polyphenols and antioxidants ;) Nice to know I am doing something right :tu:
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Re: Inside the factory

Postby scullion » July 19th, 2017, 12:00 pm

yup, watched, and my partner also has a five minute timer for his tea.
i've decided that i'm going back to using leaf tea for him. it seems that a vast amount of the process is taken up by making the bag, more than i'd realised, and what an unnecessary part of the process it is in reality - especially as the bag 'skeletons' aren't biodegradable.
scullion
Registered

Postby Suelle » July 19th, 2017, 12:12 pm

I was surprised to learn that there were plastics in tea-bags. I thought they were completely bio-degradable, but even if most of the bag breaks down, there are still going to be minute traces of plastics, which are the most dangerous sort.

I don't drink much tea, but I won't be putting used bags into my compost now!
Suelle
Global Moderator

Postby Hope » July 19th, 2017, 1:28 pm

I had no idea the bags had plastic in. I've been composting them for years. No wonder I occassionally find an old bag...

I'm looking into getting looseleaf tea instead. I'm trying to reduce the amount of plastic we use.
Hope
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » July 19th, 2017, 3:31 pm

You can get eco-friendly teabags - but only from smaller producers. I don't think that the big boys care so much.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Hope » July 19th, 2017, 3:40 pm

They are so much more expensive. I've found some looseleaf that's cheaper, just need to get a infuser thingy.
Hope
Registered

Postby scullion » July 19th, 2017, 3:53 pm

http://www.theteapot.co.uk/in-cup-strai ... ess-steel/

we have a similar one to this that came from lidl a few years ago.
scullion
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » July 19th, 2017, 3:57 pm

earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Busybee » July 19th, 2017, 4:00 pm

This thread has reminded me to use my loose leaf tea.........lovely cuppa just consumed. Betty's tearoom blend, what else would a yorkshire girl drink??

BB
Busybee
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » July 19th, 2017, 6:07 pm

Hope wrote:They are so much more expensive. I've found some looseleaf that's cheaper, just need to get a infuser thingy.

I use a tea strainer ;)
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby StokeySue » July 19th, 2017, 8:12 pm

I use a Chatsford pot when making tea for other people, the tea is heldbin an infuser that can be removed after your measured five minutes

Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Hope » July 20th, 2017, 6:42 am

I can't be bothered faffing about with a tea pot. We do have one, but haven't used it in years. Doesn't help that we don't like the same tea! I was looking for one of those things you can put in a mug, like the one Scullion posted.
Hope
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » July 20th, 2017, 10:09 am

..... now, who has come up with a cafetiere with a removable bottom bit to make removing coffee grounds easier? I have not found one yet and neither my home nor work drains would appreciate a build-up of coffee grounds.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » July 20th, 2017, 10:47 am

StokeySue wrote:I use a Chatsford pot when making tea for other people, the tea is heldbin an infuser that can be removed after your measured five minutes

I had a little glass tea-pot with an infuser, however, for just one cup, the water in the pot barely reached the bottom of the infuser :? The infuse has since fallen apart... but I still use the tea-pot with either loose or bags, and then pour onto the milk in my mug .. it reduces the amount of staining in the mug and just seems to wash off the glass :tu:
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby scullion » July 20th, 2017, 11:07 am

have you tried using an aeropress, earthmaiden?
when you've pressed the coffee through, you unscrew the bottom and push/click out the compressed, used grounds and filter into the bin.

ps, 'they' do say that the grounds help to clean the drains.
scullion
Registered

Postby Hope » July 20th, 2017, 1:20 pm

You can compost coffee grinds and they are also great for keeping slugs off plants.
Hope
Registered

Postby StokeySue » July 20th, 2017, 1:36 pm

earthmaiden wrote:..... now, who has come up with a cafetiere with a removable bottom bit to make removing coffee grounds easier? I have not found one yet and neither my home nor work drains would appreciate a build-up of coffee grounds.

I've seen one but can't remember where, possibly at the Good Food show?

Yup, the basket is called a groundhog and you add it to your existing cafetiere

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Cafetiere-Groundhog-Filter-Coffee-Granule-Collector-Mesh-Gauze-4-6-8-Cup-NEW-/152549823243

I like an aeropress for a single cup if not using espresso, and I take it on holiday, but if making multiple cups a cafetiere is easier, and similarly if making multiple cups of tea I find a teapot less fuss than juggling mugs
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » July 20th, 2017, 5:19 pm

Hope wrote:You can compost coffee grinds and they are also great for keeping slugs off plants.

Consequently, I just top my empty cafetire (complete with residue) with cold water quick stir and throw it on my garden immediately outside my kitchen ;)
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby capricornbcaroline » July 20th, 2017, 6:11 pm

Patsy, I'm not sure they are perfect for the garden if you believe James Wonghttps://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2016/oct/23/coffee-grounds-are-not-good-for-plants-its-a-myth
capricornbcaroline
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » July 20th, 2017, 6:25 pm

Yay! Thank you very much Sue, That is exactly what I was hoping for but clearly can't google as well as you can :lol: .

We use a large cafetiere at work which just serves our little team of 5 nicely (an aeropress only serves one). We are on the 2nd floor with windows that don't open and a compost bin which has to have all the grounds scraped into it as dry as possible with a bit of paper towel. It is a nasty job. A gadget such as that shown would improve our working lives no end 8-) .
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » July 20th, 2017, 9:44 pm

capricornbcaroline wrote:Patsy, I'm not sure they are perfect for the garden if you believe James Wonghttps://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2016/oct/23/coffee-grounds-are-not-good-for-plants-its-a-myth

Oooh, thanks for that Caroline ... It was so easy to just throw them over the garden - So not put in the compost bin either I suppose ??? :( :o
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby Suelle » July 21st, 2017, 7:18 am

We let our compost rot for two years before we use it, so I guess the caffeine would be either well dispersed or broken down by then. Coffee grounds seem too useful as a bulking agent to throw away, plus we've gone back to using paper filters with our new coffee maker, so the whole unit gets dumped into the compost with no mess.
Suelle
Global Moderator

Postby capricornbcaroline » July 21st, 2017, 9:33 am

I think you are right Suelle. This suggests that composting the grounds is a useful step https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/garden-how-to/soil-fertilizers/will-caffeine-affect-plant-growth.htm. So I think it would be good to add to the compost heap Patsy. I'd love to read something a bit more scientific to explain how long it takes to break down the caffeine.
capricornbcaroline
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » July 21st, 2017, 12:12 pm

Good to hear, thanks - I can now put the grounds into the composting bin ;) :tu:
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » July 23rd, 2017, 9:43 am

We always have a pot of tea like the one Sue posted every morning. Hardly ever use T bags unless it's just for one cup. We worked out that the 3 grams of tea per T bag means that the actual T works out very expensive. We also worked out that we must use 4 grams for our complete pot which does two cups each and a small third of another for Mr. Z (he likes his tea!) We do buy good tea and even normally blend our own as we know what we like. Most family members have worked for Twinings at one time or another so we were a bit spoilt for choice and cost :tu:
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby KC2 » July 26th, 2017, 9:33 am

Hello everyone, we really enjoyed last night's pasta factory programme! Just a bit surprised as they seemed to be using tomato concentrate in their jars of pasta sauce. The shots of the basil fields were gorgeous - we could almost imagine how heavenly the air must have smelled! The comparison between normal wheat and durum wheat was also very interesting. Well done Gregg! A great episode! I'm looking forward to next week's biscuits one about chocolate digestives at the McVitie factory!
KC2
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » July 27th, 2017, 9:47 am

We enjoyed the programme too, loved the tortellini making machine.
Next week, chocolate digestives, the world best biscuit :tu:

Moira
When life gives you lemons, make sorbet
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby KC2 » July 27th, 2017, 5:53 pm

cyprusmoira wrote:Next week, chocolate digestives, the world best biscuit :tu:

Moira

Definitely :hungry:
KC2
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » July 27th, 2017, 6:34 pm

Oh yes !!! :bounce: :chops: :kneel:
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby StokeySue » July 27th, 2017, 9:25 pm

Finally watched the pasta episode, it was a major topic of conversation on our walk today!

Really good, enjoyed it
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby KC2 » July 28th, 2017, 5:10 pm

StokeySue wrote:Finally watched the pasta episode, it was a major topic of conversation on our walk today!

Really good, enjoyed it

Yes, it was a real eye-opener! The factory itself is amazing!
KC2
Registered

Postby scullion » July 28th, 2017, 5:17 pm

cyprusmoira wrote: loved the tortellini making machine.

Yes, we were rather taken with that, too - if I could justify it I would want one but as the nearest I've got is making ravioli - once - it won't happen.
scullion
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » July 28th, 2017, 5:27 pm

I also like Gregg's presenting style .. he doesn't mind sometimes coming across as a kid in a sweet shop as I would be ;)
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » July 28th, 2017, 6:46 pm

I must watch that one on i player... Just done, very good and entertaining, I wish my basil would grown like that....
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » August 2nd, 2017, 5:19 am

I love the thought of tankers full of chocolate traveling from Manchester to Harlesden. As for the one man business engraving bronze rollers with the biscuit insignia, fascinating. For the record I prefer Plain Chocolate Digestives.

Moira
When life gives you lemons, make sorbet
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » August 2nd, 2017, 8:27 am

Mine too Moira, but couldn't tell you the last time I ate one ... I daren't buy a pack as they would be gone in a day ! :(

I had to watch this with only half an eye on the programme - it was making me yearn for a biccie to dunk ;) But absolutely fascinating :tu:
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby KC2 » August 3rd, 2017, 9:21 am

OOps we seem to have missed it! Not sure how that happened! We saw the Ultimate Shopping List with Michel Roux last night but managed to miss Gregg on Tuesday. Will watch it on the iPlayer.
KC2
Registered

Postby KC2 » August 11th, 2017, 9:43 am

We finally caught up with the Biscuit factory - as my 20 something son would say, "Awesome"!! Really a shame there aren't any more. I hope they do another series. The Ultimate Shopping List has finished too, boo-hoo :(
KC2
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » August 11th, 2017, 4:15 pm

And I think this was the second series ?

I kept missing Ultimate Shopping List (Taste & Tested ??)
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby KC2 » August 12th, 2017, 11:18 am

PatsyMFagan wrote:?

I kept missing Ultimate Shopping List (Taste & Tested ??)

I think some of the episodes are still on All 4 if you have access to catch-up, either via a Firestick or similar, or, I imagine, online.
Yup. here is the link: http://www.channel4.com/programmes/trie ... pping-list
We enjoyed it a lot - when they did teabags, I recall they went to the same tea producer in Africa that Inside the Factory visited!

PatsyMFagan wrote:And I think this was the second series ?

Oh dear, we obviously missed the first series! Still, the BBC is putting on loads of repeats so maybe they will revive it soon ....
KC2
Registered

Return to TV and Radio